Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1310 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 15 - 06:44pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Problem Products /

Toshiba Satellite A75-S226 Battery and Power Problems 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>
Paul Mack Mar 15, 2006, 05:45pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite A75-S226 Battery and Power Problems
where did you solder it to on the bottom ??

Nobody seems to know with any which of the two rectangular things the wire needs to get soldered to to work...

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
C Batchelor Mar 15, 2006, 08:10pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The wire that comes out of the back of the power connector into the mobo protrudes through the mobo and sticks out slightly on the other side. On mine it was obvious by looking at the other side that the connection was broken. My wire solder gave the same effect but it just looped around. The solder also repaired the cracked connection.

Is it possible to post pics or projects on this site?

You can email me at clbatchyahoocom and I'll send you a pic of what I did. You'll have to modify the email and use subject of toshiba mobo pics or something like that.

richard segura Mar 16, 2006, 01:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 16, 2006, 01:34pm EST

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro that was giving me the same power problems. The unit would boot up fine but if the plug in the back was jiggled even a little bit it would lose connection and go to battery. No matter how many times you re plugged the power supply in, the unit did not switch over to AC nor did the battery recharge itself. It just remained on battery power. Well after reading all the posts and gathering information I performed the most technical of procedures and now all is well. The unit can be plugged and replugged switching from battery to AC as it did when new. Here is what I did.

I used a wooden toothpick(round) and stuck it in AC plug that goes into the computer. I cleaned out the contact points and worked it around really well. Apparently there was debris and dust that prevented the unit from making a good contact with the computer. You will notice the plug is directly beside the fan vents where all the dust is emitted.
My computer is now back to normal. Simple huh?! good luck all.

Juli Jurgens Mar 16, 2006, 04:53pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My extended warranty sent me a new cord, and mine is now working well.
I still do not know if the cord was the issue, or the plug. I guess time will tell!

Robert Cummings Mar 20, 2006, 05:37am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am having the same exact problem with my A75-S229 laptop.
Does anyone know how Randy Warner's class action is progressing????

Meghal Patel Mar 20, 2006, 03:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Anyone here has fixed a Toshiba Satellite P20/25? If so, soldering pics for that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Meghal

Justin Whetten Mar 28, 2006, 04:56pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I did what you said to and it work for a little bit but then it died. When I plug the power cord in it doesn't charge and the ac indicator light flashes on and off quickly. I am wondering if anyone knows what the problem maybe.

R Warner Mar 28, 2006, 05:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Randy's A75 repairs...
Hello all,

First, thank you to those who emailed me to express their condolences with the death of my father. It was comforting to receive so much support.

Secondly, with all of the legal issues of dealing with my father's death I have not had much free time. To make doing the Toshiba repairs worth my time I have increased the repair fee to $35. Even before my father's death I was a bit too busy with doing the repairs and didn't have a lot to show for it. Even with shipping costs I feel that is still a bargain. I know that Best Buy, Circuit City, etc would charge $50+ just to evaluate the problem and that is IF they would look at it at all. I will not tell people how to fix their laptop, so please don't ask. I have tried to help a few people with pictures, diagrams and instructions, but they did not understand soldering or electronics and pretty much destroyed their laptops. Therefore, please do not ask me to tell you how to fix it yourself.

Finally, I am amazed at how many people post replies on here when I have asked several times to only reply to me by email at rwarner911@adelphia.net. I only check the forum a few times a month, so if you want to contact me then please use my email address.

Take care all....
Randy

OH! I almost forgot... I am STILL waiting for the attorney to decide how he wants to handle the case. I am keeping all email addresses I receive and will update everyone as things progress. So far, there hasn't been much progress.

brian meola Apr 03, 2006, 07:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok, I did the soldering fix mentioned in this thread and it solved half the problem. Initially I had the "power cord wiggle" problem, wherein the power cord would have to be moved around to get a connection. My computer no longer has trouble recognizing/connecting to the power supply. It still has the problem mentioned in the initial post in this thread, though. When it is off, it will charge the battery. When it is on, it will NOT run off A/C power for more than a minute or two.

It ALWAYS recognizes the power cord when it's connected and off. It NEVER recognizes it (after a minute or two) when it is on.

Does anyone know what the issue may be?

jean luc ascencio Apr 06, 2006, 04:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everyone

For the lucky ones that live in San Francisco bay area:
I have a friend that can fix your ac problem for your Toshiba satellite, he is a pro and can do the work at your place
Call Gene's sound service at 415 377 1258

Cheers

J-L

brian meola Apr 07, 2006, 07:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ahh the simple things that make you kick yourself later. i had to order a new power cord because i had been using my roomates, and it turns out that the second half of my problem was that his power cord is like 3.5amps and this one requires 6. i had only looked at the voltage.

so, in other words, another successful fix using the soldering method from this thread.

woot.

Elizabeth Larson Apr 16, 2006, 10:31am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Add another with the same problem to your list. I have a A75-S231 which I bought Jan 2005, so it's just over a year old and out of warrenty. Same issue. At first the problem was so intermitent that I thought I didn't have the plug in correctly. Now I can't get it to work on the AC or charge the battery at all. I'm studying in the UK for a year and have a call in to the local Toshiba Direct line to schedule a repair. Thank's for the information and history provided from everyone. Wish I could send mine to Randy. I'm not going to spend money on a new mother borad just to have the same problem occur again in a few months. What you've posted about Toshiba disapponts me. This is my third Toshiba laptop in the past ten years and the others have worked dependably for 2-3 years and would have worked longer, but they became obsolete and we're replaced. My susppicions of an engineering flaw have been confirmed by everyone's responses. If Toshiba does not do something to make this right, they have lost me as a customer. A company like that should stand behind the product and be accountable for flaws in design. How many people don't know to do an internet search to learn about hardware difficulties or just haven't experienced the problem yet?

Elizabeth Larson Apr 17, 2006, 08:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Checkout http://www.classcounsel.com They have a lawsuit against Toshiba for this model.

James Ryan Apr 22, 2006, 08:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Randy Fixed my laptop some time ago and now the problem has returned...
I have yet to try a new power cord as that could possibly be my problem I guess... I am hoping to try a new power cord tomorrow or next week sometime hopefully.... has anyone else that has had randy repair their laptop had any problems with the fix?? It worked great for quite some time now but just the past 2 days has been having problems...
more investigation is required on my part but I thought Id ask..

Jon Hamill Apr 25, 2006, 11:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, Ive been reading all these posts about power problems, obviously its cos im having the same problem!!!

I have got a Toshiba Satellite A30. im in the uk, so i dont know if this differs to the US models or anything. I had all the overheating problems, but the A30 had a nice little panel that you could remove to clean the heatsink. no problem, after all, it took about 2 and a half years to start doing it.

So about 4 months after that problem, i can now no longer turn on the laptop. Its as if the power isnt going in to the laptop at all from the power cord/supply.

My main question is this... its a 19v 6.3A Ac Bel power supply. model no API3AD01. when you plug it in to the wall, it makes a tiny beepeing sound (very very quiet). im not sure if it was doing this before i had power problems or just after. i never noticed it before, but then i wasnt studying my power supply that closely before! Can anyone tell me if they normally beep or if this is a signal that its broken!?! dont really wanna fork out $50 for a new one if its not broken.

i did put a volt meter in the end of the power supply to see what was coming out, and it was fluctuating around 19v (but then its DC, so it should remain constant right, or is 3-4v either side normal?)

If its not the power supply, is it likely to be the same problem as the A75 - having to re-solder the connector?

Thanks
Jon.

kino gutierrez Apr 25, 2006, 03:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I live in mexico and i'm having the same problem as all of you, it's working now but it's starting to get in my nerves. do i apply for the lawsuit??

Chris Mitty May 02, 2006, 11:21am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite P10 series Battery and Power Problems
Hi,

I am pleased to find this chain of replies. Hope people can help.

I want to take apart my p10 laptop. In various replies a website has been mentioned http://www.irisvista.com/
It does not contain my laptop although there is a similar looking one, P30. I am wondering if my laptop comes apart the same, Meaning taking of the screen and keyboard out and out comes the board.

I have to replace the DC jack becasue I snapped the pin last week, huh!!!

Help please!

russ dittmer May 04, 2006, 11:06am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I found this in another forum and it helped me every time the power problem surfaced.
Might just be some form of power supply reset.
Just a thought
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This might help you. I have a Toshiba laptop model 2410 with a flashing led/power up problem. I was also frustrated (you know the feeling) It flashes 1(S) 1(L) 4(S) 2(L)

My solution (works every time) is to pull out the AC cord from back of computer. Then .. release the battery for several seconds only.
Push battery IN again. THEN (presto) Push power-up button. It starts normally, every time.

Then when you're ready just push the AC lead back in after it's started.

Don't ask me why it works. It just does. It's like it needs the battery power to be isolated briefly and then re-applied. It works.

I never bothered with warranty work. It's like an extra security feature. When it's off AC for a period -> that's the reliable starting method.

Mo B Jun 17, 2006, 12:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 18, 2006, 01:59pm EDT

Thanks Mike and thank you evrybody else as well.
Aight... so I had the same problem with My toshiba... it lay dormant for a yr until i decided I wanted to install Dapper Drake... the darn thing wouldnt charge....id only see the orange (charging) light when I held/wiggled/deformed/contorted the wire into wierd positions.
I had no experience with soldering.
I opened the laptop till the very end, where I could lift the mobo off the plastic.
I couldnt find the source of my problems for weeks unti i flipped the darn thing upside down.
All i did was solder a loose connection.
And I am using this laptop right now with no worries.
word of caution: if u havent opened a laptop before, remember the location of each screw, i have 5 lying in a drawer.
Be gentle, I broke my keyboard wire but managed to scotch tape it back :-0
Anyway i see that this is a discussion from long long ago.
I took a few pictures and would gladly help any one w/ the same problem. (If u could help me with linux id appreciate it)
email mohit2000 at hotmail
Mo

Bryan Woods Jun 24, 2006, 12:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yup, this is rediculous. I had my MoBo replaced in December due to this problem. Then in May, a mere 5 months later, the problem again reached the point of needing to be replaced. Incredible.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.