Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1440 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 04:01pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Problem Products /

Toshiba Satellite A75-S226 Battery and Power Problems 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>
mike willems Jul 15, 2006, 07:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite A75-S226 Battery and Power Problems
I apologize for the long message but PLEASE READ!!!
I had the exact same problem, only with slightly more story.

I purchased my satellite A75 S209 from CompUSA on 2/21/2005, and started having problems with it only weeks after buying it, but like some of the other people who posted I thought that I was plugging it in wrong. I also had problems being shocked by the speaker covers - one time seriously. After I'd already bought a new power brick for it (same company, amperage, voltage, compatibility, and toshiba liscensing - only newer so in a slightly different looking case) the notebook finally became unusable. This was fortunately a week before the warranty ran out (on 2/21/06), so I called Toshiba, who directed me to a liscensed and "reputable" dealer - Computer Technology Inc. in Arlington, VA.

After they "replaced" my motherboad for free, I went to pick it up, and at their request brought the power brick. They took it to their back room to "check it out" and I heard some loud crashing sounds. They brought it back a minute later and told me it was broken - and a corner was missing out of it. I'm nearly positive now that they just hit it with a hammer. They then outright lied that that had caused the problem with the motherboard, and charged me $75 for a new adapter - even when the chunk of missing plastic didn't electronically harm the brick --- THE NERVE. When they first gave my adapter back I thought that I might have been mistaken and just been jumping to conclusions about them being dishonest enough to do such a thing, but the idea was reinforced when they blamed the problem on it. Sadly I can't prove it.

About a month ago the problem recurred, and I foolishly took the computer back (clearly noting the perfect condition of the power brick before giving it to them, and I know that I could repair the problem myself.
The shop has lied to me again that the mother board needs replaced. However, toshiba only guarantees their parts for one lousy month, so they're trying to charge me $425 ($275 for the part $150 for labor) to do this. I now fear that if I "don't want it repaired" and ask for it back they'll sabotage something else that I won't be able to repair. What do I do? - I've called Toshiba support, but don't know if I should trust them.

Post a message or email me with advice/suggestions - either would be very much appreciated.

THIS LAPTOP HAS BEEN A NIGHTMARE.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Sarah Snider Jul 24, 2006, 08:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This forum does seem a little old now, but I was hoping someone may be able to offer me a little insight here. My Toshiba Satellite started this whole nonsense with the power supply about a month ago and I too assumed that it was all my fault. I was wondering if anyone with the same problem tried using a docking station when this happened? Does this help at all? Is there a hope for going out and buying one?

k casey Sep 11, 2006, 01:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi guys,

I have had my Toshiba for just about a year, and about 2 weeks ago it started developing the exact same problem described here with the AC adapter and the laptop not switching from battery to plug. I check out the power supply and I know it is in good shape, so I know it is an internal problem. Has anyone else found any other solutions, or others having the same problem? I am just a bit hesitant in returning it to Toshiba for repairs,
(I have been burned a few times) but that may be the only solution.

It's a well-known design problem. The overheating is the dust clogging the heatsink. Overheating remelts solder related to the power jack. There are several class action lawsuits related to several Toshiba models.

Sklarlaw@aol.com | http://www.lorisklar.com/ (they handled a Bausch & Lomb case)

http://www.classcounsel.com/

Best of luck. All I can say, is bug the hell out of Toshiba - it's the best documentation you can have. If you can afford to be without your computer, keep sending it to them. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Like other class actions against them, they will (eventually) have to cough up full repayment/replacement.

k casey Sep 11, 2006, 01:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
No. The power jack solder is probably melted. It's not about cooling - it's about a clogged heatsink! Taking the laptop apart requires nearly dismantling it. On a regular basis, since the problem will repeat itself.

You can maintain a bit by using a vacuum cleaner to reverse suck the dust out of the fans -- I've done this repeatedly without burning out any of the fans, so I don't know how compressed air could do that.

This laptop sucks. Join a class action lawsuit.

This forum does seem a little old now, but I was hoping someone may be able to offer me a little insight here. My Toshiba Satellite started this whole nonsense with the power supply about a month ago and I too assumed that it was all my fault. I was wondering if anyone with the same problem tried using a docking station when this happened? Does this help at all? Is there a hope for going out and buying one?

D L Sep 13, 2006, 06:15pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had the same problem with my A75-S226. Now I have a new problem (unrelated) which led me to this thread. When my problem occurred, my unit was out of warranty by just a few weeks, if not days. I took the unit to the local authorized Toshiba repair center. I dropped it off, expecting a hefty bill, but I had no idea what was wrong, other than it would not charge or run unless I wiggled the cord. I asked them to call me with an estimate.

I did not hear from them for almost a week, so I called, and was told my laptop was ready. I started to go ballistic, because I had asked for an estimate. The girl then calmly said that the tech had advised it was a known issue with Toshiba, and they had picked up the cost. On top of that, the left mousepad button had been broken. Part of the fix for the power supply problem seemed to be replacing the topcase, which also fixed the button. I was very satisfied. The company is DSR, Inc. in Elkridge, Maryland.

The moral I guess is that Toshiba is standing behind some of these units, if your repair center knows what is going on. To be honest, if the repair center is dishonest, how do you know Toshiba is not paying them, and then they are aking you to pay again, thus doubling their profit...Toshiba should be able to check and see if they were invoiced for repairs to your serial number...I doubt that DSR would have fixed this for free if Toshiba had not paid them...

k casey Sep 13, 2006, 07:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
WOW...
I've had A75 issues for 2 years, starting 2 months after purchase. After my warranty ran out, I stopped calling Toshiba, until this week when the power jack went out (the solder of the module on the motherboard fails), when I started calling them again.

After many many hours of phone hold to "customer relations" (does this really exist? no one will give you a direct number, just put you in hold and eventually you hear the "if you;d like to make a call..." signal that you've been hung up on)

so, I found every forum I could post to. I posted my actions:

1) post in all forums discussing
2) call and bug Toshiba support over and over no matter what they say about warranty
3) call Toshiba's Corporate numbers, including divisions that are not computers.
4) contact the BBB and use the Toshiba Corporate NY address
5) contact the Attorney General's complaint division in your state.
6) contact the local news "consumer complaint" dept and tell them your story, emphasizing the fact that so many people are experiencing the same problems and even pointing them to URLs online about it.
7) join the class action suit(s) and give the links to them

This morning, Toshiba's corporate offices contacted me to say that they would be HAPPY to ship me a box (pre-paid) to send my computer to them and they would fix it for free (all issues) and get it back to me at the beginning of this week.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease, folks. There is no valid reason for a computer - even 2 years old if not mistreated - to have so many problems. The fact that they do have them even months after purchase proves this is a design problem.

I said SHAME ON YOU TOSHIBA... but now I am saying Thank you, Toshiba. (assuming it does get fixed, of course!)

Donna

Elizabeth Larson Sep 14, 2006, 01:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Because I was out of the US and my warrently had expired, I took the laptop apart and resoldered the AC plug three times until I could return to the US and buy a new one from HP. The reason this forum is so old is probably because these problems have existed for a long time without permanent resolutions being offered by Toshiba. Afterall, a company will sell less units if they last longer. Personally, I don't have the time to find alternative means to do the jobs I assumed could be done using my computer and then harass Toshiba and contact every agency which could possibly help. More power to those who do. Good luck.

k casey Sep 14, 2006, 02:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Good for you - if I had the skills to do the soldering, I would have done that, too. But I don't.

I simply wanted to post that Toshiba WILL step up if you make enough noise... as they should.

There are many people who don't realize this and will simply bend over, especially when some support forums suggest that there's nothing they can do but buy a new computer.

I also wanted to post that Toshiba WAS stepping up, given that I did say "shame on you toshiba". Fair is fair. Granted, it took a lot of concentrated noise to get them to do so, but ... evs.

Linda Stebbins Sep 15, 2006, 01:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm glad for you Mr/Ms Casey that you were able to finally get your laptop fixed. My computer just came off its 2 year warranty and is now having a recurrance for the 3rd time. You missed the point that even though you got yours fixed, it is not a permanent fix and will happen again. Mine has been averaging every 6 ro 8 months on each repair. I bought mine at CompUSA and was told the last time that they would replace my laptop for free if I had it in "after" 3 repairs for the same problem while under warranty. Translation, must break 4 times same problem before they will do anything. They did not acknowledge knowing anything about this even though I have been in several times and have pointed them to the web link.

R Warner Nov 27, 2006, 02:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
As you can see from previous posts I can and have successfully repaired several Toshiba A75 laptops. If anyone is interested in me doing such a repair on your laptop you may reach me at rw911@jeffersoncoin.org. Since my last post I have moved and my email address has changed. My username of R Warner has remained the same. Feel free to contact me regarding repair of your system. Please do not post messages on here as I do not check this forum often.

Thank you,
R Warner

Alex J Dec 03, 2006, 08:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Thanks everyone for posting to this forum. Without you I would have no idea that we are all dealing with the same hardware design flaw and we'd all be getting burned having to pay for motherboard replacements.

Guess what... My story is exactly those described in this forum, with the AC supply to my A70 Satellite being fixed once by a Toshiba repair center just after the warranty expired, and the same problem is reoccurring now 6-7 months later. Now I'm being told that the motherboard needs replacement. Well, why would I want to pay $600 for a temporary fix when I could get a brand now computer, with a brand new warranty, for anything from $50 and up more. And, the new laptop will surely not be a Toshiba in that case. I am really puzzled by the Toshiba business case - why they don't own up to it and service the flaw, rather than chasing the customers away?

A question for those who had the problem fixed and are again having problems. Are you finding that the issue is exactly the same as before, or is something else getting broken? I am starting to think that this laptop has more than one issue... The behavior of mine really follows everything described in this thread, which makes it a major pain to work with. I cannot see myself buying another Toshiba after this. Forget it - life is too short to have to deal with this kind of crap. Especially after paying that kind of money for it...

Sarah Snider Dec 03, 2006, 09:05pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all,
Just to let you know, there is now a class action law suit in place that is inviting people to join - check your serial number against those listed on this site: http://www.a70m30xsettlement.com/ They have also extended all the warranties for a year (from Nov 6 2006). Call them, complain, they'll fix it for free. I'm pretty sure that its like a bandaid on a bleeding wound, but at least it'll work again for a while. There is also some petty cash payment if you join the law suit.
Best,
Sarah

Mike Jesch Dec 04, 2006, 01:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
With the solution I devised, which involves a jumper wire on the power connector, I've not had any problems with power whatsoever in over a year now.

I'm still affected, sometimes horribly, by the sensitivity to static discharge. I'm in Las Vegas this week, and with the very dry air, I'm lucky if I can use the machine for more than five minutes before it locks up. In fact, today I didn't even bother bringing the laptop and am using other computers instead.

Mike Mike Dec 09, 2006, 06:59am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

Mike from NL here. I've read all the posts and I must say that I'm not sure if my problem falls under this category, cause I don't see any posts alike. But it looks they are related, so here goes...

The problem I find after 1,5 years of proper functioning by the machine, now I can't get the system to turn on again. If I keep pressing the power button, normaly the ring around it turns blue and I get happy and work with it. Some weeks ago it made me press 2 or 3 times before it did this. Now weeks later I've been pressing on the damn button for 20 minutes and nothing happens anymore.

In the hope anyone can relate to this problem I hand it over to them, in need of an reply. Could it be possible that this is the start of the problem I read all over this thread? Or something new and intresting for toshiba users among us.

I must say I would still buy a toshiba if that would be neccesary, because I work with heavy audio and video programs and it never let's me down. (until now offcourse...)

To anyone who can help and has info on this, many thanks!!!!

Mike from NL.

Mike Mike Dec 09, 2006, 07:01am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have to say the machine is P10 series and NOT the A75 which I replied to. Excuse me for that.

Mike from NL

Bruce Deschenes Dec 21, 2006, 07:45pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
As far as not wanting to lose dat due to reformat: use Norton Ghost to make a COMPLETE BACK UP OF YOUR HARD DRIVE. With this, you can reinstall everythin in about 15 min. NO loss of Pgms or data!

Bruce Deschenes Dec 21, 2006, 07:50pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
As for the Static problem, I put a 8"X11" pink antistatic bag under the laptop and connect my antistatic wrist strap to that and to power ground (the screw that holds the ac outlet plate to the wall.

oumayer schk Feb 07, 2007, 05:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
try to uninstall the toshiba power management utility, my system has been having funny problems especially after uppdating the xp sp2. this worked for me. Yes, also there is a problem with the power socket in the computer, it requires proper soldering time and time again. i have done it now 3 times.
the power management utility software clashes with the xp power management utility.

john albrich Feb 08, 2007, 03:09am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Bruce Deschenes said:
As for the Static problem, I put a 8"X11" pink antistatic bag under the laptop and connect my antistatic wrist strap to that and to power ground (the screw that holds the ac outlet plate to the wall.

Unfortunately, those pink bags are usually static DISSIPATIVE bags, that use a chemical coating that wears out fairly quickly...especially the way you are using it. In addition, these pink bags do not offer a 'grounding' type of ESD protection.

A metalized bag would perform the function you have been assuming the pink bag performs, but even so it is not the way to do it.

You really should spend a few dollars for a decent anti-static mat with appropriate resistance, a grounding point, and so on. You also need to test your mat, strap, and connections regularly (ideally each time used)

J D Feb 26, 2007, 10:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have been reading the threads obviously because I share the same problem. I just got my computer back last week after they replaced the motherboard (of course I lost all the data on my computer) and 2 days of use, I still have the same problem. I telephoned Toshiba only to be informed I will have to send it back and be without my computer (4th time). At the time I purchased my computer I did purchase the Circuit City warranty. They have advised me this evening that they can't work on the computer anymore as it has been recalled, yet Toshiba tells me they will once again attempt to repair it. They also advise their warranty has been extended to November 2007 and have no response to what will happen when we still continue to have the problems at that time.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.