Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 176 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s November 26 - 03:37am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Monitors /

Best monitor for gaming CRT or LCD? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>
OCGW Feb 23, 2005, 07:47pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Best monitor for gaming CRT or LCD?
He's not a "little" off, he's waaaay off

I don't know where to begin

He put phil down for recommending a 1600x1200 LCD

But, he just bought his wife a 1280x1024 LCD

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

If I am going to write a book, I am going to write to someone with a "hope" of getting it

OCGW

ps. he's just typing to hear the sound of his own keys, Hehehehe

PEACE

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
phil Feb 23, 2005, 08:07pm EST Report Abuse
o geez, i goto work and come back and look what happens when i'm gone.. :) you figure if a guy make 90k a year and only works 2 days a week, he'd be shown a bit of respect.. you know? ahhh maybe it's sour grapes... cheer up pc geek.. maybe that sony's better built then the BIGGER nec with HIGHER 1600x1200 res. and BETTER veiwing angle... yes i would take the sony too.. :) their high prices pays for their excellent tv and radio commercals to their inferior product values...

...p.s. spring for that cheaper screen with equal to better specs, and spend the difference on a extended warrenty.. or would that take away that excuse that "it's sony, and will out last you cheap crap"

so quit cherpin' at me to check my facts geek. please show some knowledge yourself.. buyer beware... what you get for your cash (product or namebrand?) and please check out HD. i don't know everything but i'm not stupid either.

---
can't access HWA unless I use a proxy... lol

pfft ..f**k that! (almost sounds like work)
PCGEEK Feb 23, 2005, 08:19pm EST Report Abuse
no thanks im happy with what i got. yall use what you want i realy could care less.

phil Feb 23, 2005, 08:57pm EST Report Abuse
sweet mother of god! or should i say sweet mother of veiw sonic... ok thanks brian! now i'll be phoning up stores to try and get a closer look at that. i guess there is life after death for a matrox parhelia 256mb...

you wouldn't have any other LCD pics? i'm looking at a pair of sharp 45" 's grandkeeper was kind enough to point out. you got something better up you sleaves? say 30"-40" range?

---

Brian Stewart Feb 23, 2005, 09:06pm EST Report Abuse
The one I linked isn't too huge in screen area, but it's amazing in resolution.
It would be fun to play with a few of them.

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
Daren Feb 23, 2005, 09:16pm EST Report Abuse
Tony before you go off criticizing my moniter, get your facts straight! The spec you put down were for the regular L90D! If you looked ,you would have realized that there is one with DVI Inputs! DVI makes you Moniter look that much better! And all the other sites out there are posting the wrong pictures of the moniter! The L90D with DVI looks completely different from the one without DVI! Newegg has the right pictures and the correct Specs! All these other sites were givin the specs on the regular moniter!

AMD Athlon 64 3400+, 512k L2 Cache
PNY nVidia GeForce 6800 GT AGP8X 256MB DDR3
ImageQuest L90D+ 19" LCD Monitor
Hitachi 80GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive x 2
MGE Viper Black/Red ATX Mid Tower 500W PSU
MSI K8N NEO2 Platinum Mobo
ian elliott Apr 14, 2005, 04:26pm EDT Report Abuse
I'll tell you straight CRT are better for gaming!

Tony Ford Apr 14, 2005, 04:40pm EDT Report Abuse
Sorry for the confusion on the specs. At that time, I was referring to the L90D and didn't realize there was a L90D+ model. I ended up purchasing the L90D+ and really enjoy it. I play Raven Shield (Rainbow Six 3) on it all the time with no ghosting at all. I'm impressed!

john jones Apr 15, 2005, 03:09am EDT Report Abuse
Hey guys check out this a 4ms LCD, perfect for gaming!

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000087036297/

OCGW Apr 15, 2005, 06:44pm EDT Report Abuse
I am a "die hard" crt man

But it looks like LCD's have "arrived"

OCGW

PEACE

IRON MAN Apr 19, 2005, 01:17am EDT Report Abuse
LCD and type of monitor is at least several years from being able to compete with the image quality of a .22 CRT monitor. Perhaps in time. They are not there yet. The biggest downfall is the LCD's "pixel lag" or "pixel trail" effect. It's bad at this time. Therey have a long way to go to get LCD to catch up to CRT.

phil Apr 19, 2005, 02:07am EDT Report Abuse
iron man.. that's what jones. posted.. 4ms, is the 'refresh rate' advertised.. now it may not actually be 4ms.. but so far its a excellent lcd with little pixel lag

---

john jones Apr 19, 2005, 02:12am EDT Report Abuse
I don't think there that far away from competing with a CRT,a CRT has a respose time of under 1ms and the newest LCD's coming out will be 4ms so it's not that big of a gap.I can't see people haveing any ghosting with a quality LCD anyway.

IRON MAN Apr 19, 2005, 02:14am EDT Report Abuse
Perhaps, but no matter how you slice it, an LCD still does not compare to a CRT, expecially for gaming. For one thing, they do not have a phosphor screen, which provides better light intensity without compromising contrast. I hope you enjoy the one you bought. But it's just a fact. The same is true of digital photography. A digital camera pales in comparison to an emulsion image in resolution... as of this time anyway. In time, digital photography, and flat displays as well, may equal the older technology.

Brian Stewart Apr 19, 2005, 02:24am EDT Report Abuse
If you read, that 4ms monitor is actually 5 ms.

And A lot of these refsponse times are misleading - they're SUPPOSED to measure time to close and open again. A lot of the time the stated response times are just to close OR open, making the true response time double that.

Even so, a 10 ms response time gives 100 Hz, which is an improvement. Because of the nature of LCD displays (the way the light is physically displayed and such, I explained this in great detail in an earlier thread) 60 Hz on an crt looks better than 60 Hz on an lcd. 100 Hz on an LCD is good though. If that monitor really has a 5 ms response time, that's 200 Hz, and that should be more than good enough to eliminate ghosting trailing, etc.

Now if they could just get the resolution up and the price down.

Also, am I the only one who wants to see 36 bit color displays? With 32 bit color, we get 8 bits for each r g and b (8 for alpha, never used)
36 bits would give us 9 for each (8 times the color, double the transparency, never used) or 12 bits per color, 4096 times as many colors.
Oh well. I guess 32 bit color (24 actual) is good enough for most people.
32 bit color is great, but it's not perfect. It's a failure for skintone and metals and such.

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
phil Apr 19, 2005, 02:27am EDT Report Abuse
true.. and as it is, a crt is still >4 times faster than even a 4ms lcd.. however, there is more to gaming than performance.. how about enjoyablity .. i (an i know OCGW) enjoy a good relaxed game.. lazy-boy style, with a cold beer and a fun time.. how many CRT's fit in the decor of your rec. room or living room? ..i spend most of my gaming down stairs behind the bar playing on my sharp lcd's, or apple cinima's.. and i know, there isn't a CRT that would fit that job discription... so as it is.. CRT's may be a misleading >4 times faster.. there functionality beyond that is dismal..

so i suppose you should look at that aspect before you buy also :) no?

---

john jones Apr 19, 2005, 03:58am EDT Report Abuse
I admit I don't know everything there is about respose times and such but I can tell you that my friends 8ms samsung does not ghost and it looks a hell of alot better then my 17inch CRT for playing games and for reading.
There's no question that CRT's are faster then LCD's but does it really matter if you can't tell the difference anyway? As for the price of LCD's I totally agree they are way over priced and is the only reason why I haven't upgraded to an LCD.

Craven Moorehead Apr 19, 2005, 04:42am EDT Report Abuse
CRT all the man Lcd is for wannabe gamers if your a hardcore gamer and not a nub get a CRT ! like a 22inch so you have the advatage sniping off head shots you will love it. LCD is too much money and really low refresh rates are common on LCDs . Save time save energy get CRT for gaming. LCDs are lame in every aspect of gaming ask any pro theyll tell you. But you would some people say , lcds technology is improving blahh blah blah, they are just saying that cause they want your money or they ar just too weak to carry a CRT LOL!

Craven Moorehead Apr 19, 2005, 04:42am EDT Report Abuse
CRT all the man Lcd is for wannabe gamers if your a hardcore gamer and not a nub get a CRT ! like a 22inch so you have the advatage sniping off head shots you will love it. LCD is too much money and really low refresh rates are common on LCDs . Save time save energy get CRT for gaming. LCDs are lame in every aspect of gaming ask any pro theyll tell you. But you would some people say , lcds technology is improving blahh blah blah, they are just saying that cause they want your money or they ar just too weak to carry a CRT LOL!

Brian Stewart Apr 19, 2005, 04:52am EDT Report Abuse
...Anyway

The CRT is the best technology we have.

It is likely to remain that way for a long time.

As for a big screen for gaming - it's called a tv.
Get an HDTV. (CRT! The lcd/plasma ones have LOWER resolutions usually!)

Fun times.

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.