Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 2960 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 14 - 11:44am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Compaq Presario 2100 won't power on, won't do anything?? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Pawel Wrzosek Dec 18, 2005, 04:16pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Compaq Presario 2100 won't power on, won't do anything??
Hi Ken,
My Presario 2580 was brilliant till my wife dropped it. Now it powers up and down with a button as it should but would not do the POST. The combo drive buzzes regularly every some 4 secs and goes no further. The hdd seems to be doing the same but almost inaudibly. The bigger fan starts on when the P4 2.3 gets warmer. Nothing beeps nor displays on either monitor. I have no fdd to restore the bios, though I am not convinced it helps. Without the CPU the effect is the same, irrelevant of the DDR modules combination either or any other input/output peripherals. I can hear the supply fets and coils buzzing with the same pattern as the drives after power off. When I opened up the masterpiece of intricacy the CPU was out its socket, if it might help.
I will not rest until I know what is up. Please advise. Can I use a flash USB bootable drive to repair the bios anyway?

Much obliged,
Pawel

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Carl Bourdon Jan 05, 2006, 08:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I know the pain of having to deal with a compaq presario 2100. My wife has the 2135US model and it has given us nothing but trouble since we bought it. The first incident was the overheating, which it was sent in several times and came back excatly the same as when it left. Finally, the day before the warranty was due, we sen it out and that problem finally came back fixed when hey switched out the motherboard and the fan units. Now comes the fun part. Since then, her computer has taken it upon itself to alter settings at its whim. Several times it won't allow for links to work, the restore ability will shut down, scripts for certain pages and functions won't work. I have had to restoire the system so many times I think I can do it in my sleep. Anyone else have this problem, and if so, do you know how to fix it? I could really use the help

Michael Schiele Jan 05, 2006, 10:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I hear ya man. i feel your pain. to fix it is easy. get a new computer! i for one hate compaq. other then having a nice chate feature, the service ends there. i'm having troubles with a pcmcia card. everytime i talk to tech support online they always use the same responses. i'm begining to think this is hopeless. time to allocate some cash and purchase a dell!

good luck!

Rachel Beach Jul 30, 2006, 01:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Compaq Presario R3000 will not turn on. I've had problems for several months with it not turning on... for a while. As in, I keep pressing the power button and eventually it turns on. However, this time, three days ago, it died (accidentally operating it on battery b/c the cord fell out) and it has never come back on, no matter how much I try.

(Keep in mind, I'm a Peace Corps Volunteer in Morocco, so standard temperatures in my house are around 90-100 degrees right now. I thought maybe the heat had something to do with it... so I wrapped it and cooled it in the freezer a few minutes until the exterior felt cool to touch. Did not help.)

I would certainly appreciate any advice.

Rachel

BANDWIT Dec 27, 2008, 11:54am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Presario 2100us...athlon xp 2800+M...wont power up or down with power button, However, it will power up if I push the "?" button (the 5th one on the right of the 5 across the top. It will shut off the usual way if I ask windows to do it via Start/shut off. Until this problem started quite recently...it has been a wonderful performing PC and still is. Only problem is the button one I'm referring to here.

A short time back windows or control.alt. delete didn't work and the only way was to remove battery and unplug power. The power switch was totally unresponsive. Called HP. After an hour on the phone they couldn't figure this out. I toyed around with it and discovered pressing the ? button worked....only to power it ON.
The power options were set to desktop and "never" to everthing else. I only use it docked to external mon. keyboard and mouse..so having the battery in it didn't matter to me.

Glad I found this forum...seems like a lot of people also have button problems.I do not know how to take it apart and would hate to do an uninstall./reinstall.Also, the yellow light on bottom of front keeps flashing while it's on.

ANY IDEAS???

TIA!!!

Uni Verseet Feb 03, 2009, 10:57am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 03, 2009, 10:59am EST

>> Re: Compaq Presario 2100 won't power on
I found the comment about the help key turning on the laptop interesting as the power button did not work on a Compaq Presario 2100US. After pressing the help button (thanks for the tip), I determined everything worked except for the power button.

The problem was fixed by using an electronic contact cleaner (I had Krylon methyl chloroform)

Remove the battery and AC power adapter.

The button cover has to be removed first by removing the two screws on the back of the hinges and then carefully prying up the cover starting from the right. I used a jewelers screwdriver and started prying at the speaker cover over by the little symbol for the external mouse and keyboard. The speaker cover and buttons are one piece.

Then I dropped a little bit of the cleaner on the power switch - it looks like a little metal rectangle with a circle in it. Spray the cleaner at a napkin and use the drop that is left on the end of the sprayer tube. Work the switch by cardfully pressing on the metal circle, repeat.

In regards to the blinking power light, I noticed that when it is on AC with the battery removed, the power light does a slow blink. I suspect it would do the same for a bad battery

BANDWIT Feb 03, 2009, 01:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
AH....you're wonderful...
NOW..will nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol work???? Clean with slightly saturated Q-TIP
Mine is still running...am using it now...How is yours???

Elliott Saille' Mar 12, 2009, 12:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi i also have a 2100 and the peace of S**T >:@ AC Plug for the AC adapter is SOOOOOO loose that i have a hard time getting it to take so that i can power it on. And if u r wondering y that is a BIG problem i also have a DEAD BATTERY >:@ .

Sooo if ANY ONE has ANY IDEA'S PLEASE EMAIL ME AT: ellisgeek@gmail.com

Shannon Staker May 09, 2009, 09:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My compaq won't recognize being plugged in. It started randomly one day. The lightning bolt on the front blinks at a regular rate. But the battery won't charge. Now the lightning bolt won't turn on at all! The pin is completely sodered to the mother board. What os wrong?

Robert West Aug 01, 2009, 05:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This is an old thread but I'll post anyhow. I just repaired a Presario 2100 and this is what I found. The unit woudl sometimes power on, most times not. If it did come on, it would be on for just a few minutes then it would shut off. Once shut off, it wouldn't come back on unless it sat for a bit and even then if i was lucky. I thought that it may be a thermal issue but nothgin was of high temp that shouldn't have been. With a volt meter, I found power in all the right places. However, it still acted liek a thermal problem and I thought that maybe it was a bad solder connection that when heated up was expanding and losing contact. After flexing and flexing the board and testing and testing, what happened? The large surface mount capacitor next to the power jack *popped* off. One side of it has come away from the glue that was used to mount ot the board before soldering and my flexing worked it off the other sise. I cleaned up the contacts, removed the assembly glue, flipped the capacitor over and resoldered. It now fires up perfectly and stays running.

This capacitor is a large rectangular surface mount to the side of the power jack.

Kurzon Dax 2012 Sep 09, 2015, 05:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mine overheated and did the same thing. I let it cool and tried starting it up again. No luck. I thought it was dead for good. Upon further examination, I noted a Reset button underneath. I took a paperclip and held it down for 10 full seconds. The laptop powered up! Now I use a laptop fan with it.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.