Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 742 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s January 18 - 06:34pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Processors /

AMD Going Out Of Style? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Lawrence Heffernan Mar 03, 2005, 03:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: AMD Going Out Of Style?
It's amazing, a long time ago in an Inquirer sotry far far away, back just after the FX51 went retail, I read something about the K8 processor design being Dual Core ready, quite some time later intel goes into marketing hyperspace and makes it appear that dual core processors are new (The Pentium was two 486's slapped together)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Harris Walktin Mar 03, 2005, 04:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
No and No.

AMD does not dictate or have much power on the specs of the motherboards that house their procs. Unlike Intel which makes their own motherboards, and has sold only to a few manufactuerers the right to build Mobos for their proc (however Intel has extreme power over the mobo companies).

AMD probably wont upgrade their HSF's for the time being, And I dont belive we will for a long time. Main issue is cost. Simply put AMD supplies adaquate cooling for their processors. That is not taking into account the heat produced by Games unfortunatly. Although your AMD proc will not burn with stock, it will heat up quite high. However AMD stands that their stock hsf is adaquete, yet we encourage "advanced" usersd to upgrade to better hsfs. Hey I dont make the calls. However I have reported the results of stock hsfs on Athlons and on some 64's right now. I concluded that they were good at keeping the proc under spec max. However our test areas here are like semi-broken fridges, so that helps the cooling (Though not much as we do not have other fans in our test rigs)(except for passive tests that employees do for their pleasure :) )

I have expeirced those damn capa's on motherboards, its a pain, butI dont see AMD intervention at the moment.

- Harris W. -AMD Employee
AMD cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your PC by my advice. My advice is valid.
jmerc Mar 03, 2005, 04:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 03, 2005, 04:31pm EST

True AMD fans don't care about them getting the market share of the corporations business.

They just like the way the product performs and the cost which is much cheaper than the cost of an Intel processor.

Imagine if AMD and Intel merged? The possibilities would be mind staggering if they both put their heads together.

Jay

Life is too short, make the best of it!
Harris Walktin Mar 03, 2005, 05:38pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 03, 2005, 05:39pm EST

Sure it would be greast, but first we would have to get by the Civil War beteen employees :)

AMD cannot be held responsible for any damage done to your PC by my advice. My advice is valid.
Max Steiner Mar 03, 2005, 05:54pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Besides that, the price of computers would skyrocket and development in the field would grind to glacial speeds.

As much as you Intel fanatics love your processor and loathe us AMD "upstarts" (provided any Intel'nuts are reading this), admit it... YOU NEED US! :) Why? Because if Intel was unopposed, the price of your Pentium 4's would triple in cost. All the prices would escalate, and the only thing allowing you, Mr. 3.8Ghz-Pentium 4-superclocker, to actually buy said processor without pawning the gold fillings in your teeth, is... AMD. You don't have to buy AMD, but you better thank your financial stars they're in existance.

If you think about it, to, would there even _be_ Pentium 4's if AMD wasn't around? Hmmmmm... deep thought.

-----------------------~-------------------
Want to speed up commerce in the USA? Privatize the US Post Office, and turn it into a free-enterpise company that has to actually compete on the open market, instead of hide behind the government's skirt.
OCGW Mar 03, 2005, 07:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
AAAAAAAAMEN

OCGW

PEACE

Rory Witham Mar 03, 2005, 08:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Custom Computers: http://www.gtwcmt.co.uk/GT%20PERFORMANCE%20COMPUTERS/index.html
Computer maintenance: http://www.gtwcmt.co.uk/Computer_maintenance/index.html
Computer repairs: http://www.gtwcmt.co.uk/Computer-repairs/index.html
Harris Walktin Mar 03, 2005, 08:44pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
DDR2 is quickly going, I dont belive it will reach full usage, DDR3 is around the corner, an its beens aid that DDR4 will be skipped, and routed directly to DDR5 within the next two years or so.

Fasten your seatbelts guys.

Rory Witham Mar 03, 2005, 08:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Co processed DDR would be nice as it will feed the CPU better and boost the performance even more, but I cant see any changes with current MOBO makers, draggin there heals, its time to get rid of ATX and move on giving a more workable space, When they upgrade PCi express and I believe the next step is 24X and not 36X as we'd all hope it will be put on your G suit..

It would also be nice to see water cooling added as standard to both GPUs and CPUs which would also require a new case design.. perhaps we will see water cooling built in and the back of poor PSU's

Custom Computers: http://www.gtwcmt.co.uk/GT%20PERFORMANCE%20COMPUTERS/index.html
Computer maintenance: http://www.gtwcmt.co.uk/Computer_maintenance/index.html
Computer repairs: http://www.gtwcmt.co.uk/Computer-repairs/index.html
John Robson Mar 04, 2005, 04:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The interesting thing is that AMD was a supplier to Intel, then Intel decided to not let them make Pentiums any more. So AMD started making thier own CPUs. Fastforward to today!! Windows XP Pro 64 was desinged for the AMD64 processor NOT THE INTEL P4 660. John

Jonathan A Mar 04, 2005, 11:19pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 04, 2005, 11:20pm EST

AMD AM2 Dual Core 4600
OCZ Value Pro DDR II 2048 PC5400
Asus M2N32-SLI Deluxe
Western Digital 320GB SATA II
Leadtek 7600GT TDH
Creative X-Fi Extreme Music
Leadtek DTV100
LG Light Scribe Dual Layer Burner
Thermaltake Suprano Case
Antec True

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.