Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 697 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 20 - 10:02pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Configuring Promise Raid Controler 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Next >>
Jeremy H Feb 18, 2003, 09:58am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Configuring Promise Raid Controler
HELP! I finally got my freaking RAID to work. I had the same problem with most of you people here. When installing Windows XP, it will not load the drivers (its the MB driver by the way). First it gave me error 18 (which giga-byte tech support told me was the wrong drivers) so they sent me new drivers in an email. Then i got an error 1024, finally after checking this and that.. it was actually a bad floppy :-/

My QUESTION is, I only see 1 HD in windows XP after the installation (Striping 2+0). I have 2x120GB Maxtor HD but I only see 1x120GB. I thought i was supposed to see 240Gigs in total on one HD? According to the RAID monitor everything is working fine, just that my total space do not match up. Any suggestions?

My system: GA-7VAXP, 512MB PC2700, AMD 2000+, 2x120GB Maxtors on RAID.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Ben Harvey Feb 18, 2003, 10:39am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Further up this thread, Peter Tang mentioned that if you're using a striped array (like you and I are) then we should use the SBFasttrak driver, not the MB. The SB is for striped, and the MB is for mirrored. If you chose the MB driver then this could be your problem.

However, the SB driver didn't work at all for me on WinXP or Win2K, so I had to use the MB driver. Even with this, I'm still seeing my striped total of 160GB, which is nice. I couldn't get XP to work at all with this setup, but I've since discovered that one of my RAM sticks was bust, so it may have been OK after all.

Try the SB driver.

HTH

Lars Andersen Feb 19, 2003, 01:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jeremy

If you installed Windows XP on the RAID Hard Drives and only see one drive that is 120GB, then you need to reinstall windows XP because the two hard drives must be formatted as one single partition.

First check to see if Windows XP can see both drives.
Go to Start>Settings>Control Panel then Administrative Tools then
Computer Management click on Disk Management.
If you don't see both 120GB Hard Drives here, then I can't help you.

But you should see both drives, maybe one is labeled inactive.
Now you need to format the hard drives as one single partition.

Backup anything important.

Start the computer from the Windows XP CD-ROM. Make sure you press F6 and load MB driver or SB driver. The MB drivers worked for me.
Load the recovery console.

Type Diskpart
You should see both 120GB Hard drives as separate partitions.
Delete both partitions and create a single 240GB partition.

To format the partition:

Format C: /FS:NTFS

If both hard drives were previously formatted you can probably do a quick format:

Format C: /Q /FS:NTFS

Or if both hard drives have the file system FAT32 and you want to stick with the old file system.
Format C: /Q /FS:FAT32

It is possible to go back to FAT32 after formatting with NTFS but it's complicated.

Type Exit to restart.

Lars Andersen Feb 19, 2003, 01:40am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Of coarse you don't need to create a single 240GB partition.
It's much better to create a small 20GB C drive partition for WinXP so you can reinstall the operating system without deleting anything else.

tudor on Feb 21, 2003, 07:51am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello ,

i'm here because i have problems with installing win 2000 with my promise raid controler .it's not working !! and i had tried everything possible includding mails to gigabyte support center . their answer :
"Dear sir,
Since the RAID driver of Win2000 Promise MBFastTrak133 Lite Controller only supports NTFS system, please follow the installation procedure of Win2000 as below:
1. Run FDISK to delete the all partition.
2. Don't create any new partition and don't format the HDD under DOS because it will make a FAT32 system and the RAID driver doesn't support FAT32 system.
3. Booted from Win2000 Professional CD.
4. Press F6 to configure the additional disk controllers. Then, press S key to access the drivers located on the floppy disk. Selected Win2000 Promise MBFastTrak133 Lite Controller (from Floppy A:).
5. Just follow the normal Win2000 installation steps. Everything will be OK.
Again, please be noted that to copy ALL THE FILES inside the "RAID" folder to the floppy disk. Thanks. "

i did that. NOT working
so...i have 2 ibm , 40 gigs each, i erased the partitions i had on them ,because i used win 98 with raid (and on win 98 it worked)- i configured the controler to data striping mode , the array was functional....next step , boot form win2000 cd ...i pressed F6 , i copied the drivers from the cd (i also tried with the newest drivers from gigabyte ,includding the latest BIOS version for my mainboard model GA-8IRXP ) note: i copied all the files on the floppy -as itis described in one of the posts here - in root directory. since i'm using the data striping i selected Win2000 Promise SBFastTrak133 Lite Controller .i pressed enter , windows continued to load it's setup files from the cd. the next step"Setup is starting Windows 2000" : win setup asked to choose between new instalation ,repair and quit(F3) . i pressed enter for new instalation and the following message appeard:
"Setup can not contiune because windows did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer . Setup can not continue to quit press F3"
I have tried with the other one Win2000 Promise MBFastTrak133 Lite Controller driver from the floppy. ,but sistem lock when displaing the message "Setup is starting Windows 2000"

please , give me a hint or something. i'm really mad about this situation

p.s in bios the settings are ok: boot order RAID/SCASI

thank you in advance
tudor

Ben Harvey Feb 21, 2003, 08:38am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
That's exactly the problem that I was having when I was trying to install WinXP, although I got as far as copying files before I got the blue screen with the MBFasttrak driver for WinXP.

My problem disappeared when I tried Win2K, using the MBFasttrak driver for Win2K and without one of my memory sticks. (I had 2x512MB DDR sticks - one proved to be defective, but I didn't know this at the time.)

In my BIOS I've got the onboard RAID controller enabled, and RAID function set to RAID (not ATA). I don't think the boot order makes any difference.

You could try doing what I did: make a table of all the combinations you try, so that you can eliminate each option in turn. Make sure you try with the MB driver, then the SB driver, then BIOS function to RAID, then BIOS function set to ATA etc. One combination will work, and this is the only way you'll make sure you have tried all combinations.

If you've got lots of memory, try removing all but one stick. Large memory banks can apparently cause some problems on Gigabyte mobos when installing.

Jeremy H Feb 22, 2003, 09:25am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey guyz,

I got mine to work. Thanks for the info Lars. I finally figured it out before i checked the posts. :) Well, my problem was, I didnt format the all the partitions as one partition during the winXP installation. That was why I was missing 120GB. Anyway, it working now and smoking. My controller was the MB controller (it said that in the bios anyway).

TUDOR ON:

My mistake when it didnt work was:
a) I didnt copy all the files, i only copied the windowsXP drivers. Apparently you need all the files to work (my first mistake)
b) I had a corrupted floppy disk. (Took forever to figure out)

My advice is check the bios for your Raid (MB or SB). Use a different floppy ;) and then do a new fdisk and just have the HD as ONE partition each.....eg...40Gigs per HD (Just fdisk to create partitions, DO NOT format...... my other mistake). Then try the windows installation again. If it doesnt work, im as lost as you are.

David Smith Feb 24, 2003, 11:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I can't get my controller to recognize my hard drives in order to setup the array.

I have a ga7vaxp board with two western digital 120GB 7200 drives. Bios has controller enabled and set to raid. The drives are partitioned, but not formated.

They are attached to ide 3 and 4 seperately and each set to master.

When I press Control+F at the fast track setup, I get no hard drives attached, check cables.

Any suggestions?

Ben Harvey Feb 24, 2003, 12:09pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Umm.... sounds like you've done everything right. I've got the same arrangement in my box and BIOS.

There are only two things that occur to me (and apologies if this sounds like stating the bleedin' obvious or treating you like an idiot).

Firstly maybe you've enabled the SATA RAID instead of the normal RAID. I nearly made that mistake when I started out. My motherboard has Serial ATA RAID as well as normal IDE RAID, and it's the normal one you need.

Secondly, has the Auto-setup RAID BIOS utility (I forget the proper name) already configured your RAID array for you automatically? That's what mine did when I first connected my drives. When I went into the RAID utility it couldn't see any drives because it had already used the only two to build the array automatically. I didn't realise this at first. If you check the RAID utility and ask to view existing arrays you may find that it's already done what you need.

Hope this helps. If not I'm stumped! :)

Jeremy H Feb 24, 2003, 03:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
David,

When you say there is no hardrives connected, did you mean you get that message when you pressed option 1? (Create a new array). If that is what you did, then the problem is, the RAID has already automatically configured the RAID for you. If you want to manually configure your raid, press option 4 (Delete array) then CTRL-Y to accept. After deleting both the arrays the RAID has automaticaly created for you, press option 1. When you are done configuring your RAID, press CTRL-Y to save. Should work then.....

Jeremy

David Smith Feb 24, 2003, 04:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
See that is the thing. I can't chose any of the options! As soon as it opens up, it says that there are no hard drives attached. Check cables, etc. Press any key to exit.

From that point, it just re-boots no matter what I try.

David Smith Feb 25, 2003, 11:34am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Anybody?

Should I send my board back?

I updated the BIOS to the F11 version. Is there anyway to update the raid utility? It is like ide 3 & 4 are not working at all.

Lars Andersen Feb 25, 2003, 11:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
David

You said the drives are partitioned, but not formated.
If you have Windows XP, try formating the drives with the Recovery Console.
If the Recovery Console recognizes the drives, your board is OK.
Delete both partitions and create a single partition of 240GB.
Then format the partition.

David Smith Feb 26, 2003, 08:01am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok, so maybe I am doing this wrong.

I want to do an new install of xp and I want the two drives striped, not mirrored. Do I have to use a hard drive on the main ide channels to do this?

Pootie Tang Feb 27, 2003, 12:43am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
no you dont you can boot off raid, just make sure you set boot device number 1 as scsi which referrs to the raid.

David Smith Feb 27, 2003, 07:40am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I got it! I had the drives jumpered as master. I took the jumpers off and it worked.

Thanks.

Pao-Tang Kao Feb 28, 2003, 11:50am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi guys
just to share my thoughts.

I have been using promise raid for quite a while
started off as Fasttrak addon card
progressed to Gigabyte GA-8IEXP
subsequently to Gigabyte GA-8INXP.

here's my two cents worth.

1. when in strip mode, the 2 harddisk MUST be transparent to the OS. So you should only see one harddisk.
2. MB worked for me all the time, the SB always freeze on reboot. and i have used it for both RAID 0, and 1. So even though what peter said made all the sense, it didn't worked.
3. when you make the floppy, remember not only to copy the folder containing the driver relevant to your OS, but the root directory as well (the marker file and oemsetup.inf is there)
4. Promise RAID is blazzingly fast. i use mine for video editing, the raid drive is the AV drive.

kao

My setup: P4 3.06HT@3.45, FSB150, Gigabyte GA-8INXP, Kingston RAM 1GB @ 2,5,2,2, Leadtek A250, 4 Harddisk - 2 x Maxtor 7200RPM, 80GB RAID stripped for AV, IBM 80GB for system, IBM 80GB for output, Matrox RTX100 video editing, Sony DRU-500A writer. EXOS cooling, ANTEC Truepower 420.

Bill Misiaszek Feb 28, 2003, 10:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have read all the posts and have not found a soulution to my particular raid0 / XP problem.
I can not upgrade from ME to XP.
I am running ME using Raid0 (stripe). I have a Ga-8IHXP board, two Maxtor 40 GB 7200 drives. I have flashed the latest bios. I have loaded the latest drivers from the Gigabyte web site.
In the process of upgrading to XP I have done the F6/S routine and loaded the MB FastTrak lite driver (the MB is what works with Windows ME). I have tried the SB driver but get the same results..."File\winxp\Fasttrak.sys caused and unexpected error (18) at line 2108 in d:\xpclient\base\boot\setup\oemdisk.c."
If I bypass the F6 key I get a blue screen with the message that "windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer"

Anyone have a clue as to what I am doing wrong. Any comments would be appreceated.

Pootie Tang Mar 01, 2003, 02:20am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
im sure it would be logical to upgrade as if it wernt possible there wouldnt be an upgrade option. But always knew that some problem would arise when someone upgrades an windows operating system. Personally i recommend to do a fresh install, you get rid of alot of unused programs, files and junk and free up a great deal of space. Anyways problems will arse if you upgrade especially from ME.

Sorry but i dont know of anyone capable of upgrading from ME to XP without a problem arising. Just simply back you your data to cd atleast now if anything you still have a hard copy of all your important documents

Bill Misiaszek Mar 01, 2003, 10:08am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I was afraid someone would say that..
I have already made a backup during the XP install process. I backed up all files and programs and it only took 4 CDs (compressed in one file) - but it looks like the backup requires that I have XP loaded to retrieve the files.
Since I recently reloaded ME when I configured the drives in Raid0 doing it over again in XP will hopefully not be any more painful.

Do you think I will have any problems using the XP upgrade and a Windows 98 full version?

I didn't mention in my first post that my floppy drive is a LS120 attached to IDE 1 (it is still labled as "A"). I used a standard 1.4MB floppy disk to upload the drivers and it seemed to work (up until the error 18 message).

Anyway I will probably stick in a standard floppy drive attached to the standard floppy connector and try the upgrade from there before I do the total reinstall.
I will let you know if it works.
Thanks,
Bill M

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.