Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 794 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s July 16 - 02:03am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Dispelling audio myths, the cable lie

Re: Dispelling audio myths, the cable lie 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4
Thermalfreak Apr 03, 2005, 01:08am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Re: Dispelling audio myths, the cable lie
Wizard are you part of the actual discussion or just trying to get all of us to go to your house to watch the big game? People wont go to your house to watch stuff jus cuz you call em and say "hey i got monster cables comeon guys!"
It would prob be whatever youve connected it to that they will want to watch the game through:p

As far as different cables go...yeh bright....warm etc etc....they sound different....thats cuz they mess up the frequency range....but thats nothing that a basic equalizer can change.....i meet so many people who wanna stay away from any kind of equalizer cuz its "fake" and they wanna instead buy the most expensive cables/earphones/speakers/sound card to improve audio quality.....then i take mid-priced 'good' quality stuff and use built in / connected or software based equalizers and either match or beat the type of sound they want....

my freind wants extra bass earphones so he goes and buys these special ones that have inner ear ports etc ect .... i changed the low frequency response on mine and i got a deeper and clearer bass than his "extra-bass" earphones....

Ive snapped:
An xbox360 and a 12" iBook....
And a kawasaki er-6n to mod instead
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Ian Yeoh Apr 03, 2005, 10:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Anybody who buys 50 feet of speaker cable and places each speaker 20 feet from the amp really, really deserves to have bad sound.

Brian Stewart Apr 03, 2005, 11:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
20 feet isn't that far.
What if they have a big room?

MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum
1 GB DDR 400
Athlon 64 4600+
6800 GT
Howard Reynolds Apr 04, 2005, 05:06am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Oh Gawd, I hope this isn't read by anyone as a 'sad' post, but I just wanted to, er, 'amplify' a point made by earlier posters, i.e.: we might be good on physics, maths, particle science, whatever. . . but isn't it physiology that's the most important issue here?

I'm 56 now (aaagh) and can remember being at the forefront (as a consumer) of the hi-fi revolution in the UK that unfolded from around '68 onwards, when every month there was another new hi-fi magazine on the news stands, and every other month a new hi-fi show at some venue or other. And oh boy, did we lap it up, everything from bi wiring to wagon loads of builder's sand. Nakamichi? Wow; had enough of those sonic masterpieces to send the stock sky-rocketing.

And then the CD came in. And the digital age. And for some reason, out of the dozen or so hi fi mags that used to serve the UK market, there's maybe one or two. The hi-fi shows have similarly faded away, replaced now by 'computer fairs'.

And today I look back on it all with a fondness for the youthful enthusiasm I once had (yay, maybe even the gullibility, too) as well as a nostalgia for an auditory spectrum I must presumably have enjoyed then, but no longer have now. Yet that which I'm missing, I don't know about. And that which I have, I enjoy.

And maybe it is, after all, the case that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and sound is in the ear of the listener, and that some of us see more, and hear more, than others because we're younger or more receptive or, well, whatever. I did used to 'blind test' systems and hook-ups as a potential buyer, but one day -- hell, it's a long time ago now though -- decided that I didn;t actually know enough about myself (emphasise: myself; not the technical stuff) to understand whether or not I was actually hearing a difference, or thinking I was hearing a difference.

So I gave up on all of it. And today just listen to what I think I'm hearing, and enjoy it, and breathe a heartfelt sigh of relief that at this advanced age (!) there's now no need at all to dream about spending thousands on cables or what-have-you to provide that elusive extra 10% quality that I may once have believed so Crucial to my listening enjoyment.

My wife's pretty pleased about it, too!

Thermalfreak Apr 04, 2005, 06:50am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Howard Reynolds.....thats prob the only post thats made any true sense sofar and i have to agree....thats pretty much the best popst ive read sofar....

Placebo or not...noise or not....10,000 dollar cables, warm or bright sounds......i think hes got apoint....if someone spends 1000 dollars on the cables alone for his A class stereophile system and really does appreciate it....then thats money well spent as far as its anyone's bussiness

guess i was wrong...if someone's happy with what they have...why spam them that theyve spent too much/little on their stuff....its perfectly fine.....(works both ways btw)

p.s. the freind who bought th uber bass earphones was a real happy guy afterwards...cuz his walkman doesnt have an equalizer anyway...

Ive snapped:
An xbox360 and a 12" iBook....
And a kawasaki er-6n to mod instead
OCGW Apr 04, 2005, 07:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 04, 2005, 09:59pm EDT

To: Ian Yeoh, In my "main theater" (yes, I have (3) theaters) my rear towers (surround channel) have 50' of speaker wire feeding them, & they sound great

However, I run the 25' Monster subwoofer interconnect cable (& Panamax power cables) to the rear for my Adcom 555 POWER AMP (325watt x 2 @ 4ohms) which feeds the "twins" (a pair of double 15" Cerwin Vega monitors) which constitutes my bass channel

Edit: I use Monster Cable, & Panamax surge protection in all my music, & cinema systems

Hell the Panamax rack mount surge protector (w/ sequential startup) in my "main theater" costs $300USD

& my Marantz "Big Screen" learning remote costs $250USD, How about that for a waste of money?

OCGW

PEACE

phil Apr 04, 2005, 09:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
OCGW, nice reomote.. is that the rc9500?

haven't used mine since running satilite signal over the network, and using ati's rf remote

---
can't access HWA unless I use a proxy... lol

pfft ..f**k that! (almost sounds like work)
OCGW Apr 04, 2005, 10:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 07, 2005, 03:56am EDT

No, it isn't that one, have had mine for a few years, it isn't the touch screen, it's the reeeeal big one w/ programable buttons up each side of the screen (& you type in the name for the buttons)

Here is another example of spending way to much money, I have a $200USD Yamaha AM/FM Digital Synthesis PLL Tuner

But I don't like it better than my Onkyo T-4 (circa. 1980 $200USD in 1980) ALL ANALOG Tuning AM/FM TUNER

Edit: I even have Monster Cable feed from my comcast digital cable box to my ATI TV WONDER VE

Hehehehe hehe hehehe

OCGW

PEACE

George King Apr 07, 2005, 11:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
well all i can say is in the end everybody's ears are very different when it comes to hearing certain sounds... could be due to ear wax build up..... j/k but to be honest if you are happy with those cheap cables that come with your system... keep them who caaaaaares i mean as long as ur happy with the performance of your system then you are good... but just for laughs go try some "premium" cable i mean waht do you have to lose u get a 30 day money back guarantee... so if ur not happy take it back... for the few of us who love to listen to music we all know the truth.............................................

OCGW Apr 08, 2005, 12:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Isn't it funny when you go over your "tone-deaf" friends house, & he turns on his cheap, tinny, hollow, screachy stereo system (Bose cubes), & he thinks it sounds "sooooo gooood", ("Man listen to this, this rocks dude"), but you don't want to hurt their "feelings"

ROTMFFLMFMAO

OCGW

PEACE

Bruce Bettridge Apr 08, 2005, 04:23am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Not as big a laugh as th boys and girls at the cable companies have about how much they charge you......construct a sentance from the following random words;

OLD MONEY ROPE FOR.

brian D Apr 20, 2005, 09:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have often wondered if the people that fool themselves into believing that fancy expensive cables make a difference have ever stopped to consider what is in the electronics circuitry in their audio equipment.

The circuit boards have standard copper tracks - no fancy oxygen free stuff here

The components have standard plated copper leads

The components are soldered with standard tin/lead solder and intenal wiring is normally just standard copper wire and coax cable

Brendan Falvey Apr 20, 2005, 05:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
brian as indicated in my earlier post when this forum commenced I am no fan of monster cables. Your argument is fair but since most circuit boards are plated the quality of the copper is higher than most cable available. Ordinary cable made to a standard is going to have a conductance of about 95% of pure copper. I previously pointed out that the reality is the physics do not support the advertising hype for OFC.

OCGW Apr 20, 2005, 06:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Gee, I work for a living (not saying you guys don't), & I consider Moster Cable to BE the cheap cable

I would never spend hundreds, or thousands of $ on Kimber Cable

Oh well, what other choice do we have? use the stuff that came in the box? Not I!

IMHO

OCGW

PEACE

Rory Witham Apr 20, 2005, 07:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
AHH this is good I used to work in audio....
Poor cable, the thin stuff in the box with the stuff works.. BUT thicker cables with thinner cores passes the signal better but dont forget its ampage and a low voltage thats acttually sent...

Cables should be a good quality and fairly thick, but there is not need to go silly

The higher the power of the amp and speaker the thicker the cable due to the useage of the cable.

Custom Computers: http://www.gtwcmt.co.uk/GT%20PERFORMANCE%20COMPUTERS/index.html
Computer maintenance: http://www.gtwcmt.co.uk/Computer_maintenance/index.html
Computer repairs: http://www.gtwcmt.co.uk/Computer-repairs/index.html
Hitek146 Apr 21, 2005, 02:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 21, 2005, 03:01pm EDT

Exacltly, and well put, everyone!

Monster Cables = Fairly decent, and not unreasonable.....

$3500 "insulated copper" = What!?!?!?!?!?

As said just before.... The "loading" resistor that is internally connected between the final output stages of your amplifier and the speaker terminals is not made of "oxygen free copper", nor are any of the other components that make up the pre-amp and amplifier stages of a good amplifier unit, so if the people that engineered the unit didn't think OFC was necessary, why would an end user, unless an OFC cable manufacturer(etc.) made them think they should.....

Hitek

Longreef Pilot May 08, 2005, 09:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok, cables can make a difference, but the difference must be incredibly small when compared to the effect of your speakers (not to mention listening environment)!

To all who are following this thread, what is the THD of your speakers?
Chances are, many will have no idea. How many speaker manufacturers publish distortion figures for their speakers? Not many, because the figures would scare the bejesus out of us!

B&W (http://www.bwspeakers.com) is one such company that DOES publish distortion figures... <1.0% 90Hz to 20kHz (90dB, 1m) for their Signature 805. This is DAMN GOOD for an audio transducer, most speakers don't get close to these figures. No one in there right mind would by a pre-amp or amp with that sort of distortion...
All I am saying, is that there are vast inprovements to be made in the area of your speakers before you start spending thousands of dollars on cables for a minimal improvement.

How do you improve your speakers?
Take a look at http://www.deqx.com (does nearly everything) or even http://www.tactlabs.com (room corrections).

My feeling is that spending our hard earned cash carefully will give us the best sound, faster and cheaper in the long run. Unless you have the ultimate $100k speakers and amps, $1000 interconnect cables aren't going to make too much difference.

Brendan Falvey May 08, 2005, 09:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Valid point but some claim to be able to detect the .001% distortion on amps so why not the improvement from the very expensive cables. Perhaps the security services could use them to detect noise signals buried in noise has been done but the bandwidth was very poor

BTW the Emperors new clothes are what!

phil May 09, 2005, 11:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
<1.0% 90Hz to 20kHz (90dB, 1m) for their Signature 805. This is DAMN GOOD for an audio transducer, most speakers don't get close to these figures

awww, now i feel extra special about these badboys ..!

---
can't access HWA unless I use a proxy... lol

pfft ..f**k that! (almost sounds like work)

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.