Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1024 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 16 - 05:39pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Chaintech 7NJL6 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, Next >>
Cory Colson Apr 12, 2005, 11:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Apr 17, 2005, 01:59am EDT

Replies: 388 - Views: 30367
I bought a cheap deal and now im getting what I paid for... I have a Chaintech 7NJL6 board with a sempron 2800, an ultra 256MB PC2100 mem stick, a GeForce 420MX PCI card, and an Ultra 400W P/S. This thing continually crashes, usual method is the black screen, then reboot, with windows saying it was some form of driver error (first time was video, second was sound card). Bios settings are optimal: CPU freq: 166, and memory setting is auto, gives 166 when mem should be 133... Can anyone help me figure out how to stable this thing out?

Want to enjoy fewer advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Cory Colson Apr 12, 2005, 11:36am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Chaintech 7NJL6
I've heard that I need to redo the thermal gel on the CPU heatsink, any thoughts?

Andy Man Apr 12, 2005, 01:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Cory
Have a look in you Bios under Frequency/Voltage Control go to Memory Frequency see if its set to “ By SPD “

Cory Colson Apr 12, 2005, 01:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It originally was set to by SPD, but I changed it to AUTO because it was freezing... now since I changed it I get the blank screen - reboot. Should I manually configure it to 133?

Cory Colson Apr 12, 2005, 01:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It originally was set to by SPD, but I changed it to AUTO because it was freezing... now since I changed it I get the blank screen - reboot. Should I manually configure it to 133?

Andy Man Apr 12, 2005, 01:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok, you were getting an error when set to that.
And you have no way of looking at your CPU temps in your Bios I see.
Has the computer ever work correctly since you got it?
You could try setting it manually to 133, memory at 166 does not look right to me, more like running at CPU speed

Andy Man Apr 12, 2005, 02:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If the comp as never worked at your place, then yes it could be the thermal paste on the CPU if you can replace then go ahead.
One thing I would check, pull the mains power plug out first then pull all cards PCI AGP out then put back in one may have come loose in transporting the comp
Could you look at your Motherboard and in-between the CPU and AGP slot is there another Chip, as it got a “HSF” heatsink and fan on it or just a heatsink if it as no fan when you switch on place a finger on the heatsink does it get hot enough that you want to take your finger off it.

Cory Colson Apr 12, 2005, 02:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
When it was set to determine memory by SPD, the computer would just freeze on me, no error messages though. To fix it, I thought I would try to let it automatically set memory frequency.... So I set it to AUTO... now it still freezes, however now it reboots itself....

I have no method of checking temps of the mobo/cpu/etc.... I have all of the sides off the computer and have since I got it.. It gets a little warm in there, but no more than I would expect... Its possible it needs more fans and airflow through it....

If you're asking if the northbridge has a heatsink... it does, but no fan on it... southbridge has a heatsink too. Theres a pic here:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Detai...=C460-1022

Ever since I have first gotten this thing running its had this freezing problem and instability... Thanks for your help so far... maybe we can get this figured out. When I get home today from work, I'll check the temp of the Northbridge using my finger, and check for loose components... Any more suggestions and advice/solutions would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Andy Man Apr 12, 2005, 03:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
On your first post you said “I bought a cheap deal” was this computer built for you with Windows installed? Or have you built it and installed Windows or are you using an old H/D from another computer with OS installed.

Cory Colson Apr 12, 2005, 03:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I bought this as part of a barebones kit. I assembled the computer kit which included the mobo, ram, cpu, cpu heatsink and fan, case and power supply. I used a 160GB maxtor harddrive I had in a previous computer, which has 2 partitions. I wiped the first partition, 10GB, which had a previous OS on it and reinstalled winxp after building the computer. The other partition houses compressed game/ program files, with docs and mp3's. I'm also using a DVD-R from a previous computer which seems to have no issues, although I haven't recorded anything with it.

Cory Colson Apr 12, 2005, 03:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Andy, thanks again for your continual help! This is just one issue thats slightly beyond me.

Andy Man Apr 12, 2005, 04:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Your welcome Cory.
Looking at the Manual again there is no mention of Sempron but I thought I did see it somewhere.
It says Supports AMD Socket-A Duron/Athlon XP CPU
System clock supports 200/266/333/400MHz
If anyone could verify that the Sempron had the same core Voltage and would work we could carry on but if its not supported?
The board above your says it support Semprons, I don’t know, you could Mail them and see what they say.
http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw/eng/product_list.asp?MPSNo=13&SPSNo=12

Cory Colson Apr 12, 2005, 05:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I know it supports semprons, the newest nios revision (V2 i believe) adds that capability. My mobo came with that version installed. I have heard that running the ram faster than its spec could cause the problem.. right now the ram is PC2100, which is 266MHz, right. That equates to 133 actual correct? The computer is saying the ram frequency during post is 166MHz, which means its overclocking it. Should I override the auto setting and manually set it to 133MHz, while leaving the FSB at 166 (333)? Additionally, should I run RAM checks for stability and if so can someone refresh my mind where to get that program? Should the CPU be getting too hot, what solutions should I employ? the CPU heatsink/fan setup im using is advertised as adequete for up to XP 3000 CPUs. Heres a link to it:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-detai...dpNo=86205

Also, when applying the heatsink thermal grease, is it possible to get too much on the CPU/Die? If so, should the excess need to be removed?

Thanks!

Andy Man Apr 12, 2005, 05:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If the CPU is supported, then yes I would say running the ram at 166 is to high, override and set to 133, and yes having to much thermal grease or paste is as bad as having to little, all my HSF are stock and i never needed better if not overclocking, will find a util so you can see your Temps when running, the memory tester I will have to find for you.

Regards

Andy

Andy Man Apr 12, 2005, 05:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just thought of something, if your board does not have a CPU heat sensor I don’t think any program will find anything, all programs pickup on what the bios can detect.

Cory Colson Apr 12, 2005, 06:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok, just checked the CPU, northbridge, and southbridge heat sinks... all are cool to the touch.

Andy Man Apr 12, 2005, 06:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
k, you home now

Andy Man Apr 12, 2005, 06:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just wrote this for all to see, is a good way of finding the right amount of paste to use.

To test how much paste or thermal grease to apply to the core of a CPU, find two small pieces of glass and place in the middle of one piece of glass a small amount of paste, say the size of a grain of rice, place the other piece of glass on top of this and press down on it, at this point try not to break them lol, see how the paste spreads, if it spreads a lot bigger the core then you have applied to much, this could fall onto the components on the CPU and cause problems, when you find the right amount, apply to the core place it in the centre of the core and if you wish carefully spread it out over the core, and not with your finger, this could contaminate it with oils, then you could smear a little on the heat sink were it will mate with the core, this is just to fill any imperfections on the HS, if the core is covered and the thickness is say less then a hair from your head, you got it correct, all we are doing here is to make contact with each surface and fill the imperfections that lay on them.

Cory Colson Apr 12, 2005, 10:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, I did some moving things around... I moved my graphics card to a port away from right next to the AGP slot (prevent addressing issues), and I reset the heat sink on the CPU with the proper amount of grease... man there was WAY too much on there... it should be better now as far as the heatsink/cpu goes... I also checked all connections, and changed the power cord setup (put the case fan and UV lights on one cord, and the DVDR and HDD on the other... As of now no crashing, but its only been on for about 5 minutes... Will advise if we have more crashing.... Thanks again for all the help!

Cory Colson Apr 12, 2005, 10:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
And we have a crash. No autoreboot, rather the screen froze and nothing would work.... Back to the drawing board.

Cory Colson Apr 12, 2005, 11:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ran a mem test with the memory BIOS setting still on AUTO, everything checked out ok. Im starting to think this might be a problem inside windows, like driver related etc.... I don't know though, this crashing is throwing me through a loop.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.