Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1459 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 02:45am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when lapto...*FIX IT** for FREE 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Next >>
Todd Halfpenny Jan 29, 2007, 06:25am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when laptop moved or pressed - **FIX IT** for FRE
Woohoo!!

Dell engineer came out today and replaced the motherboard... all working fine even when I push hard on the case in the same position that caused the problem before.

My advice: If you have this issue then just persist with hassling Dell and keep mentioning the US/Holland view and that this is a design fault which was acknowledged by Dell.

Good luck!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Larry Polzin Jan 29, 2007, 01:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when laptop moved or pressed - **FIX IT** for FRE
I just thought that I would share may experience re: The 5150 problem, to give everyone some hope.

I purchased this laptop off of eBay last September for my wife. It worked well for about a month, then the unit wouldn't power on. After stumbling upon this site and the class action settlement, I called Dell support (which is an adventure) in October and spoke to a number of people without any luck. I found out that I would have to change ownership of my computer (since it was original purchased in Canada) and I had no idea who the original owner was. I did this and basically dropped any hope of getting the unit fixed until last week.

I again contacted Dell support and after waiting, talking to a number of people and waiting some more, I thought I had finally found someone who understood this problem - then of course we got disconnected and he never called back.

Next call, next rep: Very polite and helpful, but I already knew that troubleshooting wasn't going to solve this problem. Finally I asked if he had internet access. When he acknowledged that he did I had him go to lundellsettlement.com and explained to him that this was a known problem and just wanted the laptop fixed. He placed me on hold for several minutes, in order to get supervisor approval. What transpired after that utterly amazed me:

He gave me a DPS # and DHL's phone number. I called DHL the next day (1/24) and had a box to ship my computer back on 1/25. I removed the hard drive, packed the computer and called DHL to get a pickup. They picked up my computer 2 hours later, on 1/25. I took a long weekend and returned today (1/29) and at 9:30am, DHL shows up with my computer from the Dell Repair Center. Note in the box indicates the system board and video board were replaced. I reinstalled my hard drive and voila, the pc boots up and works perfectly.

I am truly amazed that this could be fixed so swiftly and am extremely happy with every aspect of the process, after getting over the initial hump with there phone reps. It seemed that they were unwillingly or unaware of the settlement until it was mentioned by me.

Good luck to all, and thanks for the help. I now have a working laptop, and not a 10 lb doorstop.

Arthur Roy Feb 07, 2007, 06:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Dell Inspiron 5150 - BLACK OUT, heart attact motherboard
hi everyone, i have had my Dell inspiron for a while now, but something strange happened, the dam thing had a heart attack or something, one day i was working on it, then it just went blank the screen went balck so i thought it was over heating bla bla bla i cleaned it etc. but when i turned it on again, the dam thing does not start up, it power but the screen only shows total black with a white _ (underscore) flashing and the top left hand side, it does not do anything from there so please please help me if you can anyone i spent so much on this thing thinking if i spend a lot i will get a lot :( Dell has prove me wrong. im thinkin of getin a new board which costs near 200 freking pounds :@ arrrgghhh these things are so dam

ClosedLoabster Feb 13, 2007, 01:50pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 14, 2007, 02:35am EST

Have been given an 1150 Inspiron. I'm glad to say changing U56 worked. Sad to say it didn't last long.I am just about to try again is there an more info about which pins are actually used pad of 8 pull off the board. Pin 2 and 3 are shorted.

Simon Staniforth Feb 19, 2007, 10:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 19, 2007, 10:09pm EST

Hi there everyone - just though I'd let you know my experience at trying to resolve this in Australia. I initially though I was going mad and couldn't work out what was happening with the computer. I was out of warranty and had been quoted about 3 months ago $700 for a new motherboard (my on-board sound card had given up the ghost), so though I'd pull stuff apart and see if something was shorting out. Got to the point where I though I had fixed the problem - but found out later it was because I had left the c cover off the laptop!

Reassembled the laptop and then any slight vibration at all (even someone walking past the kitchen table!) would cause the bloody thing to power down.

In desperation I started looking for the price of a new motherboard, and stumbled on this forum - What a godsend.

Removed the tabs and again thought I was lucky and had fixed it, but picking the laptop up caused it to power down again.

Today I got on the phone to Dell Technical Support and initially though I may be getting somewhere ( mentioned the clas actions in the US and Canada) and the tech guy said that he had spoken to other people about this issue, but then got put through to Customer Service and the brakes got put on. The guy there started going through how it couldn't be a design fault as it would have caused problems previously. He was also saying that the class action in the US was for a totally different issue, and that my laptop (by it's service tag number) wasn't included in a batch that may have had problems. In the end, not getting anywhere, I left it that they would send me a quote for an extended warranty.

I went down to the local hardware store and bought a soldering iron (I'm at work at the moment!) and applied heat to the connections, and hey presto, the laptop is now working fine. I have tapped it, picked it up, even shaken it! and the power stays on.

Thanks so much for this information, as I was resigned to either getting a new motherboard, or buying a new (NOT DELL) laptop.

I for one will never buy Dell again, as I know that even though other manufacturers have problems, this is obviously widespread and yet they still won't acknowledge the issue, and simply want you to fork out more money for either an extended warranty or a new motherboard.

Regards

Simon

LAPTOP LARRY Mar 06, 2007, 05:05pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanks to all who have posted about this problem. i have an insprion 1150 that would shut down after five seconds. i followed the instructions and viola, it booted. like magic. wow i am impressed. thanks so much. i didnt solder anything, just pressed down on the mobo and it worked. i also have an inspiron 1000 that does the same thing. anyone know how that could be solved?

liver bird Mar 14, 2007, 12:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just wanted to thank everyone for helping me figure out the problem and fix my inspiron 5150.

I can't believe I've been using my laptop for the last year without trying to figure out what's wrong and getting it fixed. I presumed it would cost me an arm and a leg to get it fixed professionally cause I was out of the warranty period. Turns out I just had buy a soldering iron.

Once again thanks.

Steve Pope Mar 22, 2007, 07:34am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks to everyone who has posted useful information on this thread. I've just spoken to Dell UK Tech support via their online chat facility and they've agreed to come and replace mobo and heat sink (not quite sure why the heat sink as well...) as a warranty repair despite it being 2 years out of warranty.

I just posted them the links from here to the Dell community forum and the US class action statement: http://www.lieffcabraser.com/dell-inspiron-2.htm

They had a look, spoke to a manager and agreed to do the repair as a goodwill gesture. After all the negative reports about Dell CS, I can happily say they sorted my problem out perfectly well. :)

Will let you know how it goes with the repair tomorrow. Thanks once again to everyone on the thread.

Steve

Steve Pope Mar 25, 2007, 03:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Result. Engineer came out on Friday and replaced mobo and HS, working perfectly now, well pleased. Just noticed this issue has made mention on Wikipedia now:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell_Inspiron#Motherboard

Marcovici Vladimir Mar 27, 2007, 09:07am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hello everybody, first i want to thank you for the DIY

after i stripped my Dell 5150, i soldered the lv14a chip, then started the laptop, and it still does strange things to me.it starts passes the bios screen then restarts, it does that few times then it just starts and i see on the display a clipping line and that's all.

somehow i've managed to debug the problem, i've started the laptop and managed to enter BIOS, i've disabled the Speed Step Technology, and now my laptop start just fine @1.6GHz, works like a charm, even if i shake it it doesn't power down.

the other problem what i have is that i can't install windows xp on it, it freezes when installing devices, just before installing/testing video card.
the video card is an ati radeon mobility 9000, i can install windows 2000, windows vista, linux distros, but i can not install windows xp, i've tried upgrading form windows 2000 but still no success.

and tell me how can i detect if cpu is hyper threading capable, it is a pentium 4 3.06GHz, and i don't know if it has HTT, wcpuid and everest detects it with HTT.

can somebody give me some advices or ideas.

10x very much

Clive Dyche Mar 30, 2007, 05:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Many thanks for the repair info on the Inspiron 5150. I thought it was for the scrap heap when it started cutting out.

I tried the repair but it did not work first time. I may have only soldered one side where you could see the contacts were broken.

I plucked up courage the following week, stripped it down again but this time put a tiny amount of flux on each contact and it did the trick.

I wondered why Dell kept phoning up and asking if it was still working. I expect they would have offered a "deal" to repair it!!!

Brian Joseph Apr 27, 2007, 05:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> SAME KIND OF PROBLEM WITH 5150
Hi

I had the same problem with my 5150 at first than I opened the laptop thinking it was my problem and charger and when I put it togeather and tried it and it started it up but a blank screen and after 3 seconds it shut down. It wont even roconize the charger. I gonna open it again and try fixing as everyone else said. can someone give advise and give me diagrams on how to fix it and stuff.

Thanks

sorcha bennett May 11, 2007, 03:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey, i just registered so i could say a very huge THANK YOU to everybody who contributed to this thread and to give hope to anybody else in Ireland with the same problem! I started having the exact same problems with my 5150 only a few weeks ago - i thought it was just normal wear and tear until i found this site.

I've spent the last few days trying to get Dell to help and finally tonight, a tech supp supervisor rang me back and agreed to send an engineer out next week to replace the motherboard and heat sink! :)

Vishal Shah Jun 09, 2007, 12:39am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello there :

I personally am a cusomter of 5150 and have the same problem as yourself. I probably read your case earlier in 2006 but never ended up responding (I guess I forgot since I got tied up in resolviny my own issue). Now is the time to help people who are in teh same boat as myself.

I refered Dell support to this particular site and told them how 5150 has a design flaw. Upon arguments made forth by myself they pulled my laptop back into warranty untill September 22, 2007. They fixed it for free and since I complained they told me that the laptop has been under a lawsuit since 2005 October by two individuals in California under Lundell Court of California (http://lundellsettlement.com/). Refer Dell to this site. If it is too late for you to do anything, you should argue with Dell to refund 100% of amount you had tto pay for the laptop. Dell will refuse to do so and in that case, your best bet is to report the issue to BBB (better business bureau). I am in the process of this myself, since even after replacing my motherboard 4 times, the problem reoccurs every 2 months.

If you would like to talk more about this, feel free to email me at vsacademic@gmail.com and we both can figure out ways to fight with DELL.

roman kuliyev Jun 29, 2007, 12:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello! I have a Dell Inspirion 1150 and have a problem when power ciutss of after I moved it incertain direction. I confirmed that this is not an overheating problem (checked CPU temperature and fan is working properly). The power cuts off only if I moved it. The fix you descibed for Dell 5150 would apply to 1150 as well? If you can please attach the pics of what needs to done (like removing the insulation cover) if you still have it. Thanks a lot.

Vishal Shah Jun 29, 2007, 09:36am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
What is this US/Holland view ?

Jim West Jun 30, 2007, 07:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
roman kuliyev said:
Hello! I have a Dell Inspirion 1150 and have a problem when power ciutss of after I moved it incertain direction. I confirmed that this is not an overheating problem (checked CPU temperature and fan is working properly). The power cuts off only if I moved it. The fix you descibed for Dell 5150 would apply to 1150 as well? If you can please attach the pics of what needs to done (like removing the insulation cover) if you still have it. Thanks a lot.

Refer back earlier in the thread. I was able to fix my 1150 (nearly two years ago, as I recall). I am using it for this post, so the fix was apparently long term!

Gary Metcalfe Aug 16, 2007, 09:37am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Same problem had laptop since Jan 2004 problem occured Tues 14/8/07 phoned Dell unable to help, found this site phoned Dell 15/08/07 who informed me that they did not know of any such problem I gave web site address to them, they phoned me 16/08/07 to inform me they will arrange collection and fix laptop free of charge

Leonardo Miliano Sep 19, 2007, 07:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wow,

This scares the heck out of me. I've had a Dell Inspiron 5150 for about 2 1/2 years now. I don't move it around much, really, and haven't had the problems that they're notorious for. BUT....it does something strange, where half the time when I boot up XP Home, it stays on the load screen and never loads. I have to reboot the computer and it usually comes up the 2nd time.

Is this software or hardware related? Anybody else had this problem?

Vishal Shah Sep 19, 2007, 11:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello fellow owners of 5150 ! and especially fellow readers of my post.

I am glad to hear that couple people followed my advice and got their systems working.

Another great news for all you suffering fans of DELL...

Yes! the problem is fixed as of now. And that's excatly what I mean...JUST FOR NOW it's a fix. But do you know if this is going to be a problem again after Sept30, 2007 (your warranty expires)?

Complain to dell...and get a replacement. Do you research on Dell laptop ratings and specifically ask not to get the models you don't want (based on your research).

I asked them not to give me 1501 since it has had significant problems. I ultimately got 6400 with 2 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, DVD burner, 15.4" glare screen, bluetooth, Vista Basic, 128 MB of VRAM...everything upgraded to that of my previous system...

Good Luck guys..while you have couple days to take advantage of this.

Please let me know if anybody benefits of this.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.