Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1158 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 18 - 03:21pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when lapto...*FIX IT** for FREE 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Next >>
Paul Watton Nov 12, 2007, 07:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when laptop moved or pressed - **FIX IT** for FRE
Hello,

Thanks for advice on this site.
I bought a Dell 5150 in May 2004 with 1 year warranty ( I'm in UK).
It developed the motherboard fault September 2007 - I've just rung Dell and mentioned the topics discussed on this site, i.e.

i) the fault is due to design flaw with the laptop. Dell must take responsibility whether or not the warranty is still valid (I think this is true under the UK consumer rights act)
ii) mentioned the conclusions in Holland and US regarding the 5150
iii) also mentioned that I will be buying laptops/ desktops in the future and emphasized that at the moment I would not consider buying Dell ever again.

Outcome:
I) I telephoned Dell technical support 10:30am and emphasised I need to talk someone who can resolve this issue. Put through to the manager of the telephone support team.
2) Dell called be back 40 minutes later to say that they will send a courier out to pick up
the laptop the next day. The fault will be diagnosed and it will be repaired free of charge and returned within a week.

SO...do contact Dell first before you consider doing the soldering would be my advice...

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Vishal Shah Nov 12, 2007, 10:49am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when laptop moved or pressed - **FIX IT** for FRE
First off:

1. you have to call Dell and have them fix it for you

Now the issue is, the laptop may run well and good for about 3-4 months and the problem will most likely regenerate. Even if it doesnt regenerate 3-4 monsths chances are at some point in your life the problem WILL REGENERATE!....since it is an inbuilt system design flaw.

2. Hence, contact Dell after 3-4 months and say that you have read million posts and there are complains all over the net that the problem does regenerate. Also, mention that your problem has REGENERATED despite them fixing it.

3. Accepting nothing less than an exchange of the system.
4. If you ask for repayment of your money, you will loose due to depreciation of the laptop.
5. Do this very strategically...meaning research laptop models and their ratings before you ask for replacement. Know the models that are going to be out of plan for future sale..know the news ones commming out from DELL...Check out the Clearence inventory...etc.

Hope this helps.

John Voss Nov 17, 2007, 09:25am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am in New York and I am happy to report that Dell has repaired my Inspiron 5150 after the expiration of the extended warranty on 9/30. I contacted them by email and they requested that I run the Dell diagnostics. This of course didn't work because the laptop died quickly when I tried. They said that a box would be sent to use for shipment but I actually had to call DHL to get the box usinig the reference number Dell supplied. Incredibly the computer was repaired and returned within 40 hours (NY to Memphis TN and back) and yes, the innermost tab on cover C was shaved down. Enclosed document states replaced system board, keyboard, heat sink and entire bottom cover.

John

Paul Berg Dec 25, 2007, 02:38am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
OK Mavice. I thought I was a geek-in-good-standing but you just stepped above me on the geek food chain. You da man! Most excellent analysis, diagnosis & instructions. Even an old man like me was able to follow them and breath life back into a 5150.

Thanks very much. Worked like a charm. Except for the one place I neglected to follow your instructions. :blush: I forgot where all those stupid %$%#$@&*$# screws came from. It had to come apart three times, >:o THREE TIMES, before I got it all back the way it came. But it worked well.

Thanks Pal,
Paul

Tom Giles Jan 08, 2008, 01:23am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just would like to thank everyone for your posts. I came very close to buying a replacement MB on eBay until I found these posts. I found that a large C clamp on the left palm rest to my dining room table worked until I cut the tabs. LOL
BTW a sharp pair of diagonal cutters will take the tabs off the "c" door very nicely without filling.I was fortunate enough to find this site and cut the tabs before I had to try to re-touch the pins with the iron.

I know someone who works for a large computer company and the lack of integrity about these issues is unfortunately common. You see it is all about $$. It would cost Dell plenty to recall all the thousands of units to correct the issue. They can get away with letting the service process take care of it and make more money in the process. Good to see folks have banded together and got some action out Dell.
If you find a company that would actually own up to issues like this let me know and I will buy from them.
The heart is deceitful above all things,And desperately wicked; Who can know it?
Jeremiah 17:9
Keep posting and helping each other out.
Thanks
Tom

Rob Cowles Jan 09, 2008, 06:55pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the exact same problem. I'm not much of a computer genius but I'm pretty handy.
After reading all of these posts I thought the best plan of action would be to start at the top by calling Dell and talking to them about the problem.
I had no idea why my computer was shutting down everytime I moved it slightly or placed my palms (left one especially) on the palm rest to type.
I bought a new Dell Inspiron 5150 about 3 years ago and had nothing but problems with it. I was constantly on the phone with Tech support. In fact, my first Dell did the same thing and they ended up sending me a new one because they "couldn't figure out what was wrong with it".
the second one that I recieved (the one that I now have) under warranty had a faulty Hard Drive so they sent me a new one.
Now this problem.
I just got off the phone with Dell and they "have no idea what I'm talking about". They know nothing of the design flaw. I told them that it was NO coincidence that I read this forum, removed the C Panel and saw exactly where the tab was rubbing on the MB chip. I told them that it is very visible where the tab was rubbing away at the rubber insulation sticker and on the chip itself.
I gave them this web address and they even read most of these posts with me! Crazy.
In short, they told me that since I am out of warranty there is nothing they can do for me. They said that I should replace the Mother Board at $399!

I'm on my way to Radio Shack to buy a $9 sautering iron.........

Vishal Shah Jan 09, 2008, 10:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello there:

Wait! Don't spent that $400 on a motherboard. Here is the thing that you need to learn...some reps r not very helpful either becasue they are lazy and just a care of the fact that they are getting paid their normal salary and aint gonna get paid nething more by assisting you, or because they dont have enough knowledge which I mostly notice when the call gets transfered overseas...(South African support personnel are just as good as American support personnels...any others however, I am not comfortable with).

To the point, try calling and talking to another rep. If he/she don't listen, get a bit aggressive...sound a bit annoyed, firm and as if you mean business. Request for a manager and deny to talk to neone else but manager. At this point you will either get to talk to that so called "supervisor" or get the canned response "our manager is not in today or is in ameeting. Please provide us with your contact info that he can call you back at." or "we will escalate the case and you will hear from us soon". Before ending the call, say "I request a different model or a quick resolution to this or money back or else the case goes to BBB". Trust me! American corporationss**t their pants as soon as they hear the word "BBB"! I aints**tting you about this. I am an expert at getting my ways with companies. Tip: Take down every person's name and conversation notes...the more notes you ahve more effective your BBB case! Havea record of all Dell assigned case#s. You have to show BBB that you tried your hardest to resolve problems yourself.

IF you need more personal assistance, email me at vsacademic@gmail.com and I will help you. I like helping people through these issues and I gurantee you that your fellow citizen will put a smile on your face !

Good luck buddy!
On a side note, I researched what laptops I did not want and am happy with my exchange Inspiron 6400!

Rob Cowles Jan 12, 2008, 03:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I fixed it! I borrowed a normal sized sautering iron from a friend of mine.

Removed the C panel. If you are looking at the bottom of the C panel, break off the right tab flush with the lid. Remove wireless card. Remove the rubber insulation sticker that covers the damaged chip on the left just under the edge of the computer opening. Let the sautering iron warm up for a few minutes. GENTLY touched every one of the sauter marks with the iron. Left it on each mark for about 3 or 4 seconds. Let cool for about 5 minutes. replaced wireless card. Replaced C panel. Started the computer right up and it works PERFECTLY! I was a little leary of writing this until I tested it out first. My Dell Inspiron 5150 has been working perfectly for 2 days now!

Thanks all who took the time to find this problem and post the suggested repairs here. You all just saved me from having to buy a mother board!

FOR THE RECORD. I PROMISE TO NEVER BUY A Dell AGAIN! I AM SHOCKED AT THE LACK OF SERVICE AND THE DISREGARD THAT THEY HAVE SHOWED ME FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS. SOMEONE AT Dell HAS TO KNOW ABOUT THIS DESIGN FLAW AND THEY ARE OBVIOUSLY HIDING THIS FROM THE PUBLIC.

I AM WRITING THIS LETTER FROM MY NEW HP PAVILLION DV6000. SO FAR SO GOOD.

Rob

Vishal Shah Jan 12, 2008, 09:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just wanted to comment on previous note made my Mr. R and have been said earlier by some others as well that "I promise not to buy Dell again." To be honest, I only buy DELLs and I love them. My uncle buys DELLs, ton of them for years and that too refurbs...and never has problems.
No matter what company you go with, one or two products are meant to give problems. Eevn teh world's best computer mfr., IBM (Lenovo), is bound to make some headache systems. It's business. When problems happen company will hide it. And to be honest, customer service reps and tech reps many times don;t know about it, it's not that they are hiding the problem. Imagine yourself never having had an exp. with Dell Inspiron 5150 and come tomorrow you get at a job at Dell as a tech support agent. There is so much infformation and knowledge stashed in a company, and due to turnover rates that every company faces problems with, it is almost impossible and financially not logical to be able to effectively transfer all that knowledge. It is just impossible! You won't know about this issue and next morning a customer calls and you would say...nopes! 5150 has never had lawsuits. Whateever you may say, but you can't blame DELL. In fact, in their support, Dell themselves mailed me lawsuit paper work and told me that they gonna bring me back underr warranty since I have experienced problem. In fact, when I experiecned problem the first time around, I was out of warranty, way out of it... Dell still took 100% responsibility to fix my system for FREE (they paid even shipping!). And fixed it and on their own offered free warranty! I love DELL.

Bob Billetdeaux Jan 13, 2008, 06:26am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I also am happy with Dell. They have fixed my 5150 twice and have given me an extended warranty both times. You just have to bel persistent with them and keep asking for the persons supervisor. Ask for the conflict resolution supervisor and you will get results. Good luck.

Richard Kovach Jan 24, 2008, 12:16am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wow, hundreds of dollars worth of thanks to the creator of this thread. I wasted 2 hours on my own trying to diagnose this problem, then 3 hours shopping for a new laptop (and still not being sure what I want/need), and only 1 hour fixing my 5150 after discovering this thread. And the beast got a very thorough cleaning as a bonus.

After discovering the actual problem, I'm amazed I never encountered it before. My 5150 is nearly 4 years old, and had very heavy use and abuse for most of that time -- at least 60 hours of use a week, lugging it to work and back in a backpack daily for 2.5 years, using it on the train, around the house, and even in the midst of basement reno construction... So I can't say I'm too upset with Dell but I am extremely grateful that I don't have to buy a new laptop!

Kudos!

Richard

Rick Covington Sep 06, 2008, 01:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you very much!

I have a Dell Inspiron 1150 and followed the instructions exactly as directed. The computer is now function properly after the first time of using the soldering iron on the pins of the LVC14A chip. I also had some extra soldering paste sitting around in my electronics box to ensure good connections from the traces to all the pins.

It only took about an hour time to remove the Mobo and reheat the pins on the LVC14A chip. I also removed the C cover tab on the side that was affecting the LVC14A chip with an exacto knife.

I am glad I stumbled on this site or else I would have been clueless as to how to repair this annoying problem.

7 Short Steps (Make sure to ground yourself):
1.) Disassemble laptop and record self-help notes of where all screws and components belong on paper.
2.) Remove black sticky covering under where your wireless card use to be (Broadcom).
3.) Find LVC14A chip to the left of where your wireless card use to be on the bottom side of Mobo.
4.) Reheat pins with soldering iron for 2 seconds on each pin (add solder paste if you have it and make sure there are no solder bridges with an exacto knife)
5.) Reassemble laptop using your self-help notes (might considered using some Artic Silver for processor).
6.) Cut off left C cover tab using exacto knife (viewing the C writing side)
7.) Power on working PC

Total repair time took about an hour.

Thank you again,
Rick

James Ives Sep 14, 2008, 09:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have an inspiron 1150 which had a similar issue. Overheated to the point where it refused to turn on. I tried talking to Dell once, they gave me little help since it was out of warranty. I ended being transferred around multiple times before finally getting someone, who just told me to call back when there was more people there. I then came across that little tidbit that explained that Dell had a lawsuit filed against them.

I immediately went to their Dell chat system an explained that I had read that the 5150s and 1150's had design flaws with overheating and the 'C panel' tab. The guy pasted in the symptoms, 2 of which were very hot to the touch and spontaneous shutdowns, both of which I've had happen. He then offered to setup for the computer to be repaired for free at one of their depots, despite it being out of warranty.

So If anyone else finds this problem and doesnt want to attempt to repair it themselves... they could try this route. It worked for me and several others as well.

Compwiz32 NA Oct 07, 2008, 03:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 07, 2008, 03:15pm EDT

HI I am trying to replace the chip... I think the chip is damage to a point it wont work. So I went on eBay and paid 16 bucks total for this chip.

I then tried desoddering the chip and was not able too. I had my dad also try it since my dad has alot of experience in this area sine working for GM to mainstain test facilites which they had to do these kinds of things on a daily basis.

I would like suggestions on how to remove this chip.

we are trying to remove the 14 pin chip but so far not having any luck.

by the way the laptop is Dell 5150 ..

any suggestions???

Ken Caruthers Oct 07, 2008, 05:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Does anyone have a photo of exactly the chip I'm suppose to solder?

Thank you! :O)

Doug Castell Nov 06, 2008, 10:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 06, 2008, 10:20pm EST

There s picture of the thing HERE: http://www.dellcommunity.com/supportforums/board/message?board...36#M172436

My 5150 FINALLY started having this problem last week after years of flawless operation. I'd even upgraded the battery, dropped in a 100 gig 7200 RM HD, gave it 2 gigs of RAM, etc. It's been my main laptop for a number of years now and with all the upgrades, is still plenty fast for my needs.

I'll be trying the fix kindly mentioned in this thread soon! Wish me luck!

Doug Castell Nov 07, 2008, 09:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
just as a follow-up, I bought a cheap 15W soldering iron from radio shack (it had the sharpest tip) and was able to carry out the steps in this article successfully! My laptop is running fine (knock on wood!) right beside me.

I also snapped the tabs off the C panel to prevent further damage. Doing so doesn't seem to have compromised the structural integrity of the door at all...

Many thanks to Simon Wheatly, the original poster of these steps! You just saved me lots of money and heartache! If I'm ever in the UK, I owe you the brew of your choice! :)

Gary Owen Nov 28, 2008, 04:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just to say thank you so so much for the fantastic information on here!

I am a 5150 owner since 2004 and no major problems except for having to clean out the cooling fins an awful lot due to build up of dust! Last week i started having the problem mentioned here about the laptop turning off when moved/picked up or touched near the left of the touch pad.

I googled "Inspiron 5150 motherboard problems" and this page was the first in the results!

I broke off the offending tabs on the C door and touched up the IC legs mentioned with my soldering iron. ( i did find however, that i needed to strip down the laptop fully to get a good look at all of the IC legs and to touch them up with the iron ).

I am now writing this on my laptop which is on my lap! Happy Days!

Thank you again to all, for all the advice on this thread... Thanks to ye all, i now have a fully operational laptop again.

Robert Weatherby Dec 10, 2008, 12:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have recently found the same problem on the Dell Inspiron 1150

Here is a link to a picture of the chip. I found it too tight a fit to repair through the back without damaging components, or melting the case on this model, so removed the motherboard and used 2 magnifying glasses in series to see the chip.

http://www.robertweatherby.com/computer_repair/dell_1150_chip.html

Thank you for posting the solution.

Robert Weatherby
New Brunswick, Canada

Compwiz32 NA Dec 18, 2008, 08:11pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi, I need help. I have the same problem. I bought a new chip since I resodderd the chip and had no luck. Seem like the chip is damage. So I bought a new one and now I can't desodder the chip.

I used a sodder sucker and also a desodder tape. I can't get the chip out. Is the chip spot welded???

I really want to fix this laptop.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.