Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1054 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 09:51am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when lapto...*FIX IT** for FREE 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Next >>
Tom Arnold Jan 06, 2009, 09:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Jan 06, 2009, 11:58am EST

>> Re: Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when laptop moved or pressed - **FIX IT** for FRE
Aaron I don't think it's like the DC plug where pins go through the motherboard for the LVC14A or wouldn't we solder under the board where the chip is? Correct me if I'm wrong, no expert at this.

Thanks for your post on this site even though I didn't manage to get mine working. Seems to work for some.
I feel your pain. 4 days of Hell trying to fix this, baggy eyes. Good/bad I don't know, fan starts for a bit now but pretty sure if that chip wasn't fried it probably is now. Man that's small when you don't really have the right tools. 35W Radio-Shack soldering pen from the 90's and a couple of magnifying stuff, including an old Radio-Shack 30-60-100x hand held lighted microscope. Tried tying a sewing needle to the pen with BDN5 copper, not enough heat at tip of needle, tried nail, a little better but just ended up using the pen.

Always had problems with the lights, Dell changed pretty much everything inside just before the class action and since then it worked fine except for the lights always blinking ( battery is original and pretty much dead ) but even on AC only wouldn't show power on light, still worked fine, they said they didn't know what it was but since it worked ok....

I should have sent it back after hearing about the settlement.

So how easy is it to fry that LVC14A chip?

update: With the battery in, the DC plugged in, memory installed, HD, video card, cpu installed, fan wire plugged in, no screen, just went back to see it and the fan now runs continually.

Always had problems with the DC, I have to turn the plug most of the time to get contact. I did re-solder it, still have to turn it. Anyways I manage to get the power going through. Now that I think of all this not sure my problem was the LVC14A chip but I didn't have access to a charged battery that would have narrowed down the search to DC jack or not. Did what I could with what I had, volt metered my adapter, continuity test on the DC jack to motherboard as per http://notebookpowerjacks.com/index.php?main_page=page_2, microscope on the DC jack, found one or two cracked, fixed even though continuity was ok. My lights would flash with the LVC14A symptom, AC on, no battery, both power and battery lights flash in combination around every 6 seconds. Haven't retried with battery out yet since the fan works.

Did all you people that fixed your 5150s had the fan working ok but just not booting?

Thanks.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Tom Arnold Jan 06, 2009, 11:35am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when laptop moved or pressed - **FIX IT** for FRE
Forgot to mention also tried memory cards in different combinations. Put A in B. Only A. Only B both cards.

Tom Arnold Jan 08, 2009, 07:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 09, 2009, 01:03am EST

Ah well.

After working on this for 6 days at 10 hrs a day ( yes I'm crazy ), I managed to get it started a couple of times.

If I was to do it again I would invest in better tools ( thinner and lower or variable soldering iron ) and mostly only quick heat, stop and recheck with hand held lighted microscope ( 60x is what I'm using ).

The lead on two (2) legs of the LVC14A just won't stick to the board. Yeah I probably screwed up the pads ( they be gone ). I just can't figure out where those 2 legs from the LVC14A trace to, actually even with the microscope I can't figure out most the legs of that chip.

If you're looking at the 5150 motherboard ( completely removed from your casing ) from the side you see Dimm A and Dimm B and turn the board to see the back connections of the DC jack to the left bottom corner. Made this little Paint thing for visualization http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/4337/lvc14a2legsnotsolderinght9.jpg

Where could one find the schematics for the 5150 motherboard to find out where each of the 14 legs of the LVC14A go to, to check for continuity or re solder the traces.

Thanks for any help.

Brent Kehoe Apr 08, 2009, 02:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I followed the directions and now I have a fixed 5150. Only took about 30 minutes total. Thanks!!

norm norm Apr 28, 2009, 02:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've got a 5150 board that won't power on and the LEDs flash on and off. There's a component (32.768k) near LVC14A that makes a high pitched ticking noise every couple of seconds. Presumably it's breaking the current in the circuit?

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r20/norm360/5150.jpg

Is this a usual sympton of LVC14A failure? I've tried reflowing the solder around the pins.

Robert Weatherby Apr 29, 2009, 02:41am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 29, 2009, 03:09am EDT

I heard a high pitched "ping" when the video cut out, but only once per incident, then it was done computing until reboot, and I could not find where it was coming from. The lights blinking may represent it is actually still running, but you have no video. In my case, reflowing the solder solved the problem, so I don't suppose the noise indicates 'failure' of the chip. Get a lighted microscope or 6" wide lens and have the closest look you can, this problem has been solved with a soldering iron, a number of times, I would guess that your attempt was not quite successful. It is hard to judge how much or little heat to use, I was surprised how little it took.

Duncan Hamilton May 18, 2009, 05:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dell Inspiron 5150 - about 5 years old (how did it last so long!).

It was mostly used on a desk, so did not get any pressure on the chip. Recently my daughter has been using it in her bedroom. I think she took it to bed with her and played on the internet whilst lying in bed. It has been getting worse for the last few days, cutting out after anyhing from 5 minutes to a couple of hours. I thought it was overheating, so took it apart and cleaned out the fan and grilles. Still the same problem. It got worse to the point where it would not boot. That's when I found this site.

I got my soldering iron out (quite a big old one). I thought that I would try the easy approach, not taking it apart. I took the battery out, the C cover off, pulled out the card, peeled back the plastic and exposed the chip. I cleaned the end of my soldering iron, added some flux to the contents and, using a magnifying glass, ran the iron along all of the connectors of the chip.

I booted it up, everything seems OK now.

Thanks a million for this site and for the instructions.

Justin Turner Aug 15, 2009, 01:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have tried soldering just now.

I put everything back together and don't seem to still have the same problem.

I may try the soldering again, but i was wondering about this lil chip.

Is it supposed to be loose or anything? Are the pins supposed to look like they are attached and then I solder each of them or should they be loose and i'm tightening them?

Jasper Ian Dumlao Sep 09, 2009, 08:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
somehow i've managed to debug the problem, i've started the laptop and managed to enter BIOS, i've disabled the Speed Step Technology, and now my laptop start just fine @1.6GHz, works like a charm, even if i shake it it doesn't power down.

the other problem what i have is that i can't install windows xp on it, it freezes when installing devices, just before installing/testing video card.
the video card is an ati radeon mobility 9000, i can install windows 2000, windows vista, linux distros, but i can not install windows xp, i've tried upgrading form windows 2000 but still no success.

I also have the same exact problem the difference is i have the nVidia for my video and haven't tried using different OS. I haven't tried reformating and reinstalling the OS(XP Pro) but i did try installing on a new Drive(swapped the orginal one) but the result is the same, it freezes when installing devices. Is there any fix on this?

Thanks for those who can help us on this one!

^_^

Merlyn Rees Nov 03, 2009, 01:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 03, 2009, 01:43pm EST

I'm thrilled to type this on my newly healed 5150. I've just completed the repair, so I want to say thanks and make a few points I was unsure about. I know I'm not the only who wants to keep their Dell going, even if it is 5 years old...

I did a complete tear-down of the laptop, using dell's instructions http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/ins5100/en/sm/index.htm

One hiccup I had in the tear-down was that the processor was glued to the heatsink with dried up thermal compound. I freed it by heating it up with a hairdryer and levering off a corner with a razor blade. So remember to buy new thermal compound before you start

There was no visible damage to any of the solder at 20x magnification.

This was my first time soldering. I used a temperature controlled iron at 500F. I filed down a 0.6mm pin-point tip, to be narrower and have an angled point to match the size and angle of the area I was melting, reduce the chance of the point slipping off to either side and melting two solder pools at once. I applied the iron right at the join, i.e where the "toe" of the leg meets the little pool of solder.

I did it by naked eye, because my magnifying glass was too small and distorting. It was only luck that I hit the solder right and didn't bridge any of them, so buy a good magnifying glass

I did three goes of hitting each pin of the bottom side of the IC for one second each. The bottom side being the side furthest from the screw on the C cover. I didn't touch any of the 7 on the top side

I guess the damaged pin was one of the 3 I would have been just able to access by only removing the C cover. There was a clear indentation from the C cover tab on the IC next to those 3 visible pins. I tore-down the laptop completely because I thought the pins I could see from the C cover opening looked fine. In reality I don't think it's possible to see the cracks in the solder without serious magnification

Job took me about 4 hours taking my time and doing practice runs with a cold iron. Was frustrating at times, but I got much more satisfaction out of seeing my trusty 5150 fire-up again than I ever would out of buying a new notebook

peter notmatter Nov 06, 2009, 02:11pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i have same blinking lights problem, and nothing works...so on your machine it was just this chip alone? ...maybe you have picture of this chip, so i can see that it's the right one....thank you?

Santiago Alban Nov 24, 2009, 02:44am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
THANK YOU for posting this!
My laptop was not powering up at all, after it broke for the first time. I followed the directions exaclty and now it's booting up again.

tom barks Feb 03, 2010, 08:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
LET ME SAY - THIS FIX WORKS ! my old 5150, ..... I recently just maxed out memory and installed a 250G harddrive, and wireless card. THEN it just started doing this. & It got worse over time. GOOGLED and found this site. and performed the fix (your soldering technique may vary) and its been going for almost a week now with no problems. Thanks.

gene Fisher Mar 03, 2010, 03:13am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i have had the same problem with my 5150. replaced mb 3 times last time in 2007. it has worked fine with the exception of charging. it started out not making connection when i plugged in the charger unless i wiggled it. it has slowly progressed to where i have to stand the unit on its side and slowly wiggle the charge connector until the green indicator lite comes on. so i was wondering if this is related to or caused by the symptoms in this thread

thanks

gene

Edmundas Karvauskas Mar 29, 2010, 06:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
MaviceUK
You are Genius!!!
Thank you very much for this post. I have followed your instructions and it works.
Huraaayyy..

Gasbomb Apr 10, 2010, 09:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Okay,

I just found out about this site and I have been having numerous problems with my 5150 since I got it. I only looked through the first few pages for help and saw most of the problems i have experienced. First, some background on my laptop:
1) I did not buy it, I got it used.
2) Most of the issues it has used to be fixable by whacking it 4 times with both hands:
I ) the hard drive cover and the opposite side
II ) the DVD drive and battery
III ) the flat sections next to the touch pad
IV ) the ends of the keyboard
(I'm not sure why the hell this worked)
3) I got it with a blank hard drive and installed Linux Mint 7 on it.

Now, the problems:
1) When I initially power it on, it frequently begins to run BIOS, then the screen goes black and displays "No timer tick interrupt"
2) It occasionally restarts (very rarely) for no reason
3) When I move it, it usually freezes
4) After a while, the bottom gets REALLY hot
5) When it freezes for another reason, it is usually mid-boot (while the OS is loading) or while connecting to wireless internet
6) Most recently, it will run BIOS, then ask me whether I want to do a normal boot, recovery boot, or memory test, then if I select normal/recovery boot, it will freeze with a blank screen (occasional reboot), but the memory test runs cleanly.(:~ yeah.....wtf there, huh?)

Also, I have almost no experience with pretty much any kind of computer repair, etc. (i do know how to solder though)
(btw, u prbly dont wanna ask about the name (PM me if u do))

Gasbomb Apr 14, 2010, 07:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
new problem: Dead laptop (?)

symptoms: hard drive light will not turn on, lcd screen will not light up.

possible solutions: try new laptop

possible future uses of current laptop: sledghammer practice, shotgun target practice (or just recycling it)

Scott McKenney Nov 16, 2010, 07:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you! Instructions worked perfectly. It took about 2 hours. Completely fixed like a new laptop.

Adam Bolte Apr 06, 2013, 12:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 06, 2013, 12:37pm EDT

Rescued this laptop from my old workplace almost 4 years ago - was to be destroyed due to being faulty. I grabbed it anyway since I was quite broke at the time and the hardware just seemed too good to throw out. It was much quicker than my main portable PC at the time (an EeePC 701 4G), and the 1600x1200 seemed incredible. By today's standards it's still better than most.

For a while, I made use of the 5150 at my workplace as a second computer (with an external keyboard and mouse) and just asked everyone to be careful about not touching the desk. That strategy didn't work out so well, and could never rely on the machine for anything serious.

Eventually I came across a thread (probably this one) explaining how to fix it. I tried the procedure without fully opening the enclosure (as I had low confidence in reassembling it without damaging it at the time) but the procedure made no difference. I couldn't afford to buy a magnifying glass for soldering, or a small soldering iron tip, and had very weak soldering skills - this result was not surprising. I definitely couldn't justify paying someone else $100+ to do it. Ultimately, the machine was put in storage for a few years.

Recently, Acer Australia started a campaign to get people to recycle their own computers and (until the end of the month) offer the recycling free of charge.
http://www.acerstore.com.au/acer/store/index.php/recycle

I decided to take advantage of this for all my old computers. One was a Pentium 166MMX Toshiba Libretto 110CT which actually turned out to have antique/nostalgia/collector value so actually sold it on eBay at a quite successful auction instead. Another much larger Pentium 166 Toshiba laptop, along with an old Pentium 2 Dell laptop are to be recycled using the Acer offer.

Additionally, I was also going to make use of this offer on the 5150 - but thought... maybe I should try this fix one more time? I've got much better soldering equipment these days, and since I'm about to recycle the machine anyway I have absolutely nothing to lose from trying!

Well, I've just finished spending maybe 2 hours pulling it completely apart, re-soldering the joints (although couldn't really see any difference to the naked eye) and putting it all back together again. As I was putting it back together, I took a look at the screen hinges which have never worked too well (very wobbly) since I first rescued the machine. I figured that they were just broken from being dropped or something, but gave it a look anyway. Turns out the screws inside the screen were very loose - simply tightening them up made the hinges feel like new!

Once it was all back together, I fired up the 5150 and immediately saw the BIOS. Was very happy... although it got stuck on the Dell BIOS screen and wouldn't proceed. Eventually I figured out that the HDD must not have been seated properly and finally got it to boot after removing it and reinserting it again.

I've been using the machine for 3+ hours now, wresting my wrists on the chassis, even picked the laptop up and moved it a few times - no issues at all. The laptop is working perfectly!! Absolutely amazing. Previously, the slightest bump would be enough to cause a crash.

Now I'm upgrading from Ubuntu 9.10 (and Firefox 3, OpenOffice.org 3... ugh) to 10.04 to 12.04 to 12.10... got a long road ahead of me. Lots of nostalgia seeing all the old files, settings and everything I ran years ago. How things have changed. :)

And boy is this machine loud!! The fans seem to constantly be in overdrive. The insides looked pretty clean to me - no dust build-up or anything... but I guess all the OS updates keep it a bit busy. I think I'm going to buy Artic Silver thermal compound - someone posted somewhere that it alone helped them drop the 5150 CPU temp by 5 degrees.

tldr; MaviceUK's guide worked wonderfully here. Huge thank-you from me (8 years later)!!

john albrich Apr 06, 2013, 02:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Welcome to HWA, Adam. Sounds like you've started moving up to new challenges.

HWA's become kind of a "sleepy" website, but there's still some excellent debugging and performance info in the archives, the occasional HWA member project (like heatsink reviews), and occasional good discussion/advice and debugging help.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.