Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1152 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 09:18pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when lapto...*FIX IT** for FREE 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Next >>
Jerry Prawiharjo Aug 08, 2005, 02:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when laptop moved or pressed - **FIX IT** for FRE
Hi Mavice,

There is nothing on the centre of the back of the cover (both sides actually). Probably Dell has removed them.
There is only a black plastic sheet at the back of the cover, and a series of metal tabs at the perimeters, which pushes against a metal bar, at the perimeter of the case.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Jeremiah Jazdzewski Aug 11, 2005, 02:13am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when laptop moved or pressed - **FIX IT** for FRE
Hello Everyone,

I just encountered the same problem with the short in the IC component on the MB. I followed the DIY instuctions and it worked beautifully.

I would also like to say the Dell's customer service is horrible and I will never buy another Dell product again.

I spent over 2 hrs today trying to explain their design flaw to them and they insist that there isn't a problem. It is like talking to a 6 yr old. They didn't believe me that all of these people on these discussion board are all having the same problem with the 5150. By the way, I believe a number of other Dell models have the same MB and chasis, therefore they should have the same problem. That is one of their excuses they kept giving me, why don't we hear about it on other models? I think some people with other model were having this problem, correct? The most important thing overall:

If you have this problem, repeatedly bother Dell about it!!!

The tech guy told me that there is no way that over 100 people are having this problem, mine must be specific. They said that if a mass problem like is occuring, they would issue a recall. They are obviously ignoring this flaw on purpose, because one of the largest threads on their own forum is about it, how can they not know about it?!?! Most of the people on these message boards are pretty tech savy, but think of the majority of people that have this problem that drop $600 on a new MB, only to have that damn tab break it again.

Dell originally diagnosed it as a broken palm rest and told me to send it in to be replaced. That got me thinking. What Dell is doing is telling people that they need relativly cheap part like a palm rest. Then they can blame it on you. I got this gem thrown at me, "You must be resting you plams to forcefully on the palm rest and you broke it." Then when the computer comes in, they knew it was the MB all along and like all big business they follow the mantra "Replace, not repair." Then when they call you up and tell you that you need a MB, not a palm rest, you're stuck, you have to say yes because you need the computer back, working properly. Bend over. And worse yet, they don't even file off the tab. In fact, the tech guy told me specifically that "it would not be a wise decision to file of the tab." I guess when you're constantly reaming people on repair costs, why ruin a good thing.

I plan on calling Dell again to discuss this with their design people and I encourage others to do the same. Once again, I have nothing to gain from this, as mine is fixed, but as an engineer myself, it infuriates me to see a company like Dell using a poor design to take advantage of people.

Call:
1-800-WWW-DELL - Tech Support
1-800-288-4410 - After Warranty Dept.
1-800-624-9897 - Customer Care Dept.

Their #1 excuse, "Based on our records, this isn't a reoccuring problem."

Oh yeah?

-JJ

Dan Perry Aug 11, 2005, 07:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have 2 Inspirion 1150's exactly same symptoms. I did fix 1 by buying a new Sony. I fix the other by buying some non-Dell product too. I was taught if you get taken once don't worry about it, but if you get taken twice, it's your own fault. By the way, Inspiron 1150's have many reported problems that I believe are all the same thing, just reported a bit differently.

Jim West Aug 15, 2005, 01:13am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have an Inspiron 1150 that had the problem as well. I "fixed" it by pushing the leads of the chip back down to make contact and not moving the machine. I will solder it tomorrow. Thanks for posting the fix!

David Szekely Aug 15, 2005, 07:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi All,
I've had the power-off problem twice while I was on warranty, but now I'm off the warranty and I just got the problem again. I appear, however to have a similar but slightly different problem now.. (I filed off the tab as soon as I got my laptop back from the second warranty claim) now it seems to have the same problem, i.e.difficult to turn on, and when I can turn it on, it's very sensitive to tapping on the palm rest, however instead of restarting like it did when I had the problem the other 2 times, it seems to turn off and instead of the power light blinking, the battery light turns orange. I can't do anything until I pull out the battery. I normally also have to massage the palm rest a bit over the LVC14A before it will turn on and not give me the orange battery light. I've done the re-soldering of the LVC14A twice now and it still gives the same problem.

Anyone know of where I can find a fix for *this* problem?

Thanks in advance!
David Szekely

john sully Aug 20, 2005, 11:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
By reading this topic - ive obviously experienced the same problem
ie power down during ops - without a reason
- on & hdd access lights flashing etc
the only way to turn off was to remove battery.
anyhow you all know the symtoms and the problem so why has not Dell done a recall to fix a design fault instead of getting away with reipping off their customers.
my 96 year old grandfathers new (couple of weeks out of warranty) inspiron 5150 first started having on/off problems during warranty period - i thought it was an operator problem.
unfortunately we didn't realise that it was a design problem.
have just paid $145 to have some wanker (dell authorised repairer) give me a quote to fix - and guess what it needs (?) - new mb and palmrest assbly - cost A$621.50.
before i proceed with any of the great suggestions to overcome the problem - i will be approaching the ACCC (the oz consumer affairs) and Dell and anyone else that promotes dell.
mr Dell might even incurr my anger.

will let you know

john s

john sully Aug 20, 2005, 11:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
By reading this topic - ive obviously experienced the same problem
ie power down during ops - without a reason
- on & hdd access lights flashing etc
the only way to turn off was to remove battery.
anyhow you all know the symtoms and the problem so why has not Dell done a recall to fix a design fault instead of getting away with reipping off their customers.
my 96 year old grandfathers new (couple of weeks out of warranty) inspiron 5150 first started having on/off problems during warranty period - i thought it was an operator problem.
unfortunately we didn't realise that it was a design problem.
have just paid $145 to have some wanker (dell authorised repairer) give me a quote to fix - and guess what it needs (?) - new mb and palmrest assbly - cost A$621.50.
before i proceed with any of the great suggestions to overcome the problem - i will be approaching the ACCC (the oz consumer affairs) and Dell and anyone else that promotes dell.
mr Dell might even incurr my anger.

will let you know

john s

Jeremiah Jazdzewski Aug 22, 2005, 12:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Here is some more disturbing information:

My little sister also has a 5150 that she bought from Dell about 13 months ago. After I fixed mine, I wanted to ensure that it didn't happen to hers, so I took the "C" panel off to remove the tab, only to find that the problem tab had already been cut off. My sister has never had it in for service or anything else. That means the Dell removed that tab even before they sent her it, when they were putting it together.

That is criminal.

They knowingly remove the tab on new 5150s that they ship, but charge people with older non-altered 5150s for new motherboards. By the way, if they tell you that you need a new palm rest, tell them to shove it. I resoldered that chip 2 weeks ago and haven't had any problems since. The palm rest is not the problem.

My complaint to Dell has been pushed aside, (as usual) but given this new information, I will go after them again.

-JJ

james leermakers Aug 25, 2005, 08:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a inspiron 4150 with seemingly the exact problem...When you power on lights come on for a second or 2 then turns off by battery or by ac. I cant seem to find the chip talked about on the 5150. Anyone know a solution for the 4150 board?

Jeremiah Jazdzewski Aug 26, 2005, 12:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I believe that the 4150 is an older model, the problem is not really a matter of model number, so much as it is chasis and motherboard combo. However, I think the 4150 is a completely different chasis and mb than the 5150. My roommate had this problem with a Gateway as well. Your best bet is to find the sensitive area on the top and bottom of the chasis, then remove the panels and do some detective work, use the end of a pencil to lightly touch the tops of any mb components that you can see from the access panels. Do this until you find the exact component that causes the short. If you can't find it through the access panel, then you have the difficult task of pulling the mb out. When you do that, keep in mind where the area is on the mb with respect to the sensitive area on the chasis and look at all the components in that area, (it is most likely an integrated circuit, i.e. a little black box with many little pins on it) examine with a high powered magnifying glass to see the broken solder, reheat to fix the legs, see previous posts for more info.

Lastly, drop these to guys a letter, tell them how much they suck:

Carl Everett
Sr. Vice President & General Manager
Dell Relationship Products Group
Dell
1 Dell Way
MSC-8427
Round Rock TX 78682 USA

Or

Stephan Godevais
Sr. Vice President & General Manager
Transactional Product Group
Dell
1 Dell Way
MSC-8427
Round Rock TX 78682 USA

Good Luck

Joe Smith Aug 29, 2005, 08:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks a ton for this, you saved my mobo.

Lucian Preda Sep 09, 2005, 10:29am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a problem with my laptop (dell inspiron 5150). The screen only shows the bottom line of the pixel's matrix, but is multiplied all the screen (from bottom to up). It seems that only the first pixel line (bottm) arrives to monitor and it's multiplicated to whole screen.

I conected an external monitor and it's working very good. So, I think it's not a video card fault. It may be, under my opinion, a cipset/data cable cord problem.

Have you ever encountered this kind of problem? If yes, did you fixed it? How?

Any advice will be appreciated, please email realwahl @ yahoo.com

Thanks in advance,
Lucian.

Ian Chennell Sep 27, 2005, 12:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Interesting to read all the subsequent posts on this thread. My 5150 hasn't missed a trick since I repaired it myself in early July. Immediately following that, I sent a detailed email to Dell Customer Support to highlight the 5150 problem and ask them what was going to be done. I was told my concern had been "passed up to management for consideration". Having heard nothing more, I emailed Dell again very recently, to see what had become of my still open (or so I thought) customer support job. I was quite pointedly told that my message had been passed on. Apparently, as far as Dell Customer Support was concerned, passing my message to management for "consideration" constituted resolution of my issue and therefore closure of my job. However, I still don't have an answer to my original question - what does Dell intend doing to resolve the design fault that is latent in all 5150s currently in the wild.

Can I add here a quick advertisement for http://www.notgoodenough.com/ - these guys go in to bat for the "little guys" (us!), and aren't afraid to push the right buttons to get issues like this resolved. I might drop them a line as well...

James Preston Oct 12, 2005, 02:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My Inspiron 1150 has just gone down with a similar problem. It's 16 months old - typical. It sometimes refuses to switch on, other times when it's finally powered up, the slightest touch will switch it off.

Has anyone successfully repaired a 1150 using the method described for the 5150? If you have and would be prepared to share your method I would be very grateful. I can't afford to replace the laptop yet.

Many thanks in advance.

Jim West Oct 13, 2005, 08:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I fixed my 1150 using the same method. I stripped it down myself, but had a tech do the soldering as my hands are not very steady. I probably could have done it all my self, preferred to be safe.

Good luck!

Eric Rush Oct 15, 2005, 05:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My 5150 was experiencing the same exact symptoms that everyone else here and all over the internet were reporting. Mine had deteriorated to the point where it would not boot on battery and even when on AC power, the slightest touch or movement would cause it to shut down. I have to admit that I was a little skeptical about the fix noted in this post but I figured... what have I got to loose.

I decided to remove the motherboard from the laptop just to be safe and so I could see the chip a little better. I used a magnifying glass and touched each of the legs on the chip with a fine point soldering iron just as the instructions in this post said and then re-assembled the laptop. Once I got it back together I decided to test it first by seeing if it would boot on battery only. I pressed the power button and.... ta-da... it booted normally. I then left it on for awhile and proceeded to handle it like I would if I was carrying it around. Gently twisting it and moving the display around and it stayed on. So then I decided to run a CPU burn in utility to get the temp up as high as I could. Again, I moved it around and pressed on the case all over and it stayed running. All I can say is a great big thanks to whoever figured this out. I was so fed up with Dell's lack of caring that I was ready to toss this thing out the window and buy another laptop (NOT A DELL).

Before I repaired it, I spoke with a Dell tech in India. All that he did was tell me that my laptop was out of warranty and that I needed to speak with the post warranty department to buy new parts. He acted like he had never seen this problem before and when researching it he stated that he wasn't able to find any other notes for similar symptoms. Hmmm... seems Dell is sweeping the problem under the rug and hoping it goes away before they have spend some money. Sounds like all they are doing is hiding behind there warranty period and saying "sucks to be you" to all the people who spent money for their poor design. I definitely feel that there is cause for a class action suit based on all the people experiencing the same problem.

As a precaution, I shaved the tabs off of the "C" panel cover just in case they were causing pressure on the chip. Anyway... I guess time will how long this fix lasts but I know I am going to be a little more careful when transporting the laptop now.
Thanks again everyone and I hope others have the same success that I did.

Eric

Rory Witham Oct 15, 2005, 05:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Cette information est une copie d'un autre site Web que je lisais le long de la pente il y a temps. me rappelle quel un.

Custom Computers: http://www.gtwcmt.co.uk/GT%20PERFORMANCE%20COMPUTERS/index.html
Computer maintenance: http://www.gtwcmt.co.uk/Computer_maintenance/index.html
Computer repairs: http://www.gtwcmt.co.uk/Computer-repairs/index.html
Joshua Brooks Oct 26, 2005, 09:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If anyone wants to participate in a new petition for Dell to either recall or fix these obvious problems with their product, please email your name and contact info to me.. So that I can get a full petition out to Dell.
My friend has a 1150 laptop, and the problem is very similar... If we all come together.. Dell will have to face there problem...

Joshua Brook
joshuabrooks@cableone.net

Eric Rush Oct 27, 2005, 09:07am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Update:

Well, it has been over two weeks now since I repaired my 5150 and all is well. I have used it heavily since then. No problems at all to speak of.
Hopefully others will find similar success.

Eric

ricky moorehead Oct 30, 2005, 05:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hmmm i have removeed to plastic tabs but it is still doing it with firm pressure should i use soldering gun to fix chip

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.