Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1273 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 13 - 05:59am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when lapto...*FIX IT** for FREE 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Next >>
Ehud Neuhaus Oct 30, 2005, 05:11pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when laptop moved or pressed - **FIX IT** for FRE
well guys, i wanted to thank you for your instructions.
i had this problem with my 5150 (started after a trip to belgium).
today i tried to follow the instructions, opened my laptop (all the way), used a bit of a clumsy iron (i ironed only one side of the chip which i suspected to be the damaged side since i was afraid to damage it more), closed it all, pressed the power botton and - nothing.
oops.

i went online again, read some more in here.

i decided to try again. sharped the iron, took a needle and opened it again.

the second time i went over the other side as well, cleaned between the pins with the needle and closed it again.
it worked. the computer is now working fine.
i juggled it a bit, lifted, tilted. it seems to hold on.

thank you for this tip.
e.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Johnathan Bishop Nov 04, 2005, 01:01pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when laptop moved or pressed - **FIX IT** for FRE
I'm not sure if i'm having the same problem as everyone else exactly, although i went ahead and removed the tab. I bought my Inspiron 5150 in april of 04' I believe. It worked great for about a year until July when the AC adapter quit supplying power to my laptop. I called Dells customer support and they told me to remove the battery and ac adapter, then press the power button for 30 seconds. Miraculously, this worked, until about a week ago when it quit getting power. I used to be able to move the cord a little and get power back to the laptop. Now its just sitting there and flickers once in a great while. Is the chip the problem here or could my power connection have become loose or broken from the motherboard.

Thanks for any help,
Johnathan

Jarred Jarred Nov 04, 2005, 01:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
http://www.aqstech.com/5150.html

send your laptop to these guys. i had a customer of mine with this issue. i couldn't fix it. i found these guys from another post and called them. very nice people and they had the laptop back to my customer in about a week. customer has not had any problems since getting it back from them.

Dane Colella Dec 11, 2005, 08:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 11, 2005, 08:31pm EST

i, too, started having this problem with my Inspiron 1150 just after it ran out of warranty (surprise!).
here are my specific symptoms:
it started entering the comatose state miduse maybe a couple of times a week. after a couple of weeks of this it degraded into entering comatose state partway through the boot process. eventually it would go directly there when the power was turned on.
i never experienced flashing power lights. my comatose state was: power light on, cpu fan seems to be working, cd/dvd drive works but nothing on the screen, no response to input, no beeps.

after research, i assumed the problem was the C panel tabs.

on the 1150 you can only get to 8 legs of the LVC14A chip because of the base plastic. i stripped the machine and soldered all 14 legs. when i put it back together it still didnt work but at the very least its acting differently.
what it doesn now iswhen i press the power button the power light comes on, the cpu fan spins and then it turns off after two seconds with a funny little noise ( mybe the dvd drive stopping - i cant really tell what the noise is but its not too alarming).
one weird thing is that if the AC plug is in and the battery out, the hard drive light comes on with the power light, but if the battery is in, only the power light comes on.

sooo

does anyone have any suggestions? did i kill it? should i replace the LVC14A chip altogether. try another solder job?

i was also reading about the magnetic reed switch issue here: http://hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/43259, but since the thing is shutting itself off now i dont think its a problem with getting stuck in hibernate. - which seems feasible for the comatose state i was experiencing before.

also, what are aqstech's rates like?

Dane

Axel Horst Dec 21, 2005, 02:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks to all you guys with the 'instructions for repair' as it worked!!

I have my Inspiron 5150 since Dec 2003, and since a couple of weeks it started to have the shutdown problem, getting worse every time. After some googling I stumbled across this thread with the useful tips.

I also found out that in The Netherlands (where I live), after this design flaw had gotten attention in a well-viewed TV program for consumer issues (program is called "Kassa"), Dell finally agreed to replace the motherboards of these laptops for free.
However as I have spent hours in the phone queue trying to get in touch with Dell and as at this stage my laptop really wouldn't boot up anymore, I decided to try my luck and repair it myself.

I actually did it the 'lazy way', i.e. by only removing the 'C' panel. The IC legs were indeed very tiny and I could hardly see what I was doing. However without a magnifying glass I could already tell that on one or two of the legs the connection between the leg and the motherboard solder was virtually non-existent. These were the legs on the bottom left hand corner of the IC, seen from above when you have the laptop on its back and the 'C' panel on the bottom right hand corner.
I therefore only touched the legs on the bottom side of the IC.

After putting the wireless network card back and putting the battery in, it worked!

Thanks again!

Axel Horst Dec 21, 2005, 04:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Adding to this - earlier I have also experienced another problem with my Inspiron 5150 that was solved through DIY soldering.

It was related to the power button, or something connected to the power button, as in a period of only a couple of days my power button was working less and less well, and in the end stopped working completely. After a lot of testing with the multimeter I found out the issue:

If you remove the blue plastic cover above the keyboard, you will find out that the power button and the 'i' button are placed on a separate module. This module is connected to the motherboard by a black vertical connector. It is the connection of this connector to the motherboard which caused the problem. Probably by the torsion created on the module through pressing the power button or 'i' button, this connector could get bended so much that the electrical connection is broken. Not a very good construction I must say.
I could simply solve it by soldering the legs again (touching it with the soldering stick) and the power button was working again!

Tracy Foster Dec 24, 2005, 11:11am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dane, et al,

I bought an 1150 for my daughter in May 2004 and over the past several months it has been progressively experiencing the exact same problems mentioned in earlier threads. I ran across the thread here and a couple others and decided to try a soldering job myself, since the warranty had already expired. Probably just as well, though, so that I did not have to mess around will all the hassles of Dell support or even get the mother board replaced, only to find out that the same problems would occur again because the ďCĒ panel tab issue again.

Anyway, on the 1150 you do in fact have to completely disassemble the laptop to get full access to the LVC14A chip (side note: it is not as bad as one might think, as long as you have some mechanical ability and basic tools Ė I have not worked much on computers and I was able to reassemble in about 20 minutes. The key is to have plenty of room, organize your parts and follow the technical manual available on Dellís website.)

Once I disassembled the computer, I used a low-power (15 watt) soldering iron with a fine tip ($12 from Radio Shack) and magnifying glass and touched each of the 14 pins for 2-3 seconds. I reassembled and tried it, but it did not work, although it did start to power up for a couple extra seconds. That told me I was on the right track, so I disassembled it again (hey, practice makes perfect, right?) and retouched each of the connectors again with the soldering iron. By the way, the power on your soldering iron will help determine how long to hold it. The hot ones (30-50 watts) will need a much shorter time. I personally recommend a lower wattage soldering iron to help prevent any damage or over-doing it. Just remember to hold it down a couple extra seconds (probably 3-5 seconds). Once I reassembled it, it worked perfectly! Well, at least mechanically Ė I still had a few software issues to resolve, the most notable being the Microsoft Operating System Utility (R86829.EXE) which is available for download on the Dell website. This fixes a sow-down in the processing speed. As mentioned earlier, be sure to remove the tabs to prevent future problems from reoccurring.

I echo earlier comments on this and other websites reference contacting Dell. I donít have much recourse because the warranty expired and I only spent $20 to fix it, not couting all my time researching and repairing, which I know they will not reimburse me for. I plan to write the corporate office and not bother calling in to their service center in India (in fact, I have never called about this problem, which is probably just as well). Dell needs to be told as many times as possible that there are a lot of folks out there with problems on these models and that they need to at least fess up to the problem and take some action.

Brett Sprouse Dec 28, 2005, 12:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I don't have a problem with it randomly cutting off, but I do have the problem with the ac power adaptor not working alot. Will this solve that problem or is this related to something else? Has anybody fixed this yet? Are there any other preventative measures for any of the numerous problems with this laptop? My dc plug that goes into the laptop is very loose btw, I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it or not though.

Dane Colella Dec 28, 2005, 10:13am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 28, 2005, 10:14am EST

i think the AC power problem is separate from what we're discussing here. i think ive seen forum threads out there about that problem too. the loose DC jack certainly seems like the place to start.

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Dec 28, 2005, 10:20am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
eventually Dell will fix that problem, course ive not had a problem with my Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 1/9100 notebook.

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
Brett Sprouse Dec 28, 2005, 11:00am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm not sure how that last post is supposed to help anything, but anyways I fixed my ac adaptor problem. I let my friend barrow my soldering iron and she went on a trip for christmas so I had to go get a new one. I just put 3 drops of solder on the plug that connects to the laptop, and now it is very snug, so it dosn't fall out anymore and it works fine. I guess it just wasn't making good contact before, so that was a very simple fix. Right after I did this I dropped my iron on the floor and ruined it lol. Oh well, the carpet is fine.

I bought my laptop from someone who bought it as a refurb, I don't see any plastic tabs under the c panel so I'm guessing that that had been fixed. The problem though is there are no usb connectors, I'm pretty sure it's just a simple job of soldering on a couple connectors because it installs the usb controller fine so I'm thinking there is no hardware problem other than it's just missing the connectors. I was going to try and fix that but now I guess I gotta get a new iron.

Dane Colella Dec 28, 2005, 10:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tracy,
Thanks for the inspiration. I took the badboy apart again and tried to solder the legs better, but to no avail. I'm going to give it one more shot when I'm feeling ambitious again,and if that doesn't work I'm going to try replacing the chip. Has anyone ordered a replacement chip (David V?). I don't know how to tell which one to get.

Dane

Brendan Falvey Dec 28, 2005, 11:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 28, 2005, 11:07pm EST

Good to see people sorting their own problems. Perhaps the proprietary brands are looking for answers they do not have or its all too hard.

Just as comment on Tracey's post re soldering. While it would seem counter intuitive it is better to use a larger soldering iron. the larger iron has sufficient capacity to melt the solder and remain above the melting point smaller irons may lack heat capacity to quickly melt the solder causing the user to apply the heat for a longer period. This is when we end up with fried chips. A quick dab with a hot but larger iron can be much safer than a small iron with lower capacity. Just need to practice. remember you have to heat the solder the track and the component to a heat that melts the solder and allows it to properly "wet" the lead and track. All that seeks to reduce the temperature of the "system" and can so easily drop below the critical temperature leaving you with a "dry" joint. Dry joints are the bread and butter of the electronic industry.

But all the power to you for trying since if it aint workin its no use to you and probably more use than customer support.

Have a great new year
Brendan

Calvin Glaspie Jan 02, 2006, 05:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello everyone, my name is Calvin Glaspie (Glaspie21@yahoo.com), and yes I to am a 5150 user. Now before I begin I would like to note this is no scam and I do exist and if you worried about giving out you e-mail address than apparently your not as peoíd as I am (besides just go open a yahoo one and donít forget to check it). Iím e-mailing you folks or posting on a forum (i'm to lazy to change the master copy) right now because Iím going to try to file a class action lawsuit (however if anyone knows of a lawsuit already, e-mail me back and Iíll hop on that one) and I need to get a head count of everyone who has had this problem. I feel a current e-mail address and a description of what happened to your 5150 would suffice and ill work from there (I donít believe Iíll need names until I get this ball rolling). If anyone has suggestions on how to improve my methods of locating 5150 users please speak up. Now if youíd like to know my problem here it is but if your bored of reading just e-mail at this point.

I received my 5150 in August of 2004 as a birthday present. My laptop as of late November is currently a doorstop, unable to use an ac current no doubt because of the motherboard (like everyone else). The kicker is it died a week before college finals. Well at first I thought it was the power cord that went bad so I tried my girlfriends who has a 600m Dell and her power cord works on mine but it didnít power it this time so I knew it wasnít my cord. So than I called Dell to discover it would be a $450 fix (motherboard + repairs) because I was three months out of warranty. Well than I let my more intimidating mother call Dell and they said theyíd fix it for us (score one for my mom J ). To make a story short one week later and two shipments to Dell and back to us it still doesnít work and Dell has said ďitís pay up or to badĒ (score one for Dell L ).

frank saus Jan 03, 2006, 12:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have fixed my own computer with this power problem. If anyone would like someone to fix it for them for a reasonable price email me at sausman.8@gmail.com

Joshua Brooks Jan 11, 2006, 08:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 12, 2006, 12:23am EST

I am attempting to get all the names and information from persons with the Dell Inspiron Laptops that are having this problem, in an attempt to make a solid statement, and petition to Dell... This issue seems to be happening with Dell 1150's and 5150's... Please, send me your name, email, and a detailed desription of the problems you have encountered with your Dell Laptop... Please email me with any questions comments, or the info I am looking for... I am looking for as much information on this problem as possilbe, to help my situation and others...

Thank You Very Much...

Factor Q Systems
Joshua Brooks

joshuabrooks@cableone.net

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Jan 12, 2006, 05:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
listen Dell has been having alot of problems with their motherboards in laptops etc. Call Dell for support.

CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Samsung Write
Jeff Munson Jan 29, 2006, 06:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
For those of you who don't want to spend a fortune, and like me are really not equipped to do the fix yourself, there are folks out there who know how to fix the problem and mod the system to help prevent it from happening again.

I found AQS Computer Services on the web, and emailed Joe on a Sunday asking about getting it fixed. He got back to me within a couple of hours (on a SUNDAY!), quoting me about $160 plus return shipping (totalled about $180 to him including return shipping, plus about $20 to ship it to him).

I sent it off to him Monday (ground from San Fran), he got it Friday, and had it in a box on its way back to me on Monday. He and the other person I spoke with on the phone were very friendly and helpful, and they did exactly what they promised. The work was excellent, fast, and for about 30% of what a new MB costs, my 5150 now works like a charm! It's also better than new, in that the design flaws that caused this issue originally have been corrected.

Thanks again Joe!!

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Jan 29, 2006, 06:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
they probably replaced the Motherboard.

CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Samsung Write
Micro Mack Jan 30, 2006, 12:03am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for this post, my 5150 now has life again! Great stuff! Glad I didn't contribute my 400 + dollars to Dell's bottom line. They might use it towards the next new laptop engineering disaster!

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.