Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1441 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 07:56am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when lapto...*FIX IT** for FREE 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Next >>
Aaron Kelley Feb 07, 2006, 07:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when laptop moved or pressed - **FIX IT** for FRE
Just thought I'd add my success story.

I had this problem... The laptop would cut off if it was moved, and I definatley couldn't keep it running while it was in my lap or something.

After finding this article, I took my laptop apart and used a (not fine-tipped at all) soldering iron, applying it for one second to each of the 7 pins on the damaged side of that chip. Then I put it back together, and the problem was gone. It took a little over an hour to finish. It's even in my lap right now... Running along great!

Thanks for this.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
matt stucky Mar 13, 2006, 12:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 13, 2006, 12:48pm EST

>> Re: Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when laptop moved or pressed - **FIX IT** for FRE
fixed it for free, well, $15US for a soldering iron...

picked up a soldering iron at HomeDepot for $15. It had a tip about the size of a ball point pen, which is what I used. Fliped the laptop over, pulled the C-panel, got a sharp knife and cut away the part of the black plastic cover that was blocking the chip. Heated up the soldering iron... at first tried to re-solder each pin... that didn't work, my hand wasn't steady enough. So, I gently, but rhythmically, just touched indisciminately along the pins. Up, down, for a quick second each, not even TRYING to be careful. Fifth pin back on the centermost-side seemed to be loose, so I applied a little extra attention there.... flipped it over and BAM! it works. seriously.

note: be sure to take the battery out. it seems that if your soldering gun makes the connection FOR YOU (i.e., the solder is not re-heated, but the metal of the gun makes the connection adequately) you'll get a "false positive" when the BIOS comes up, but then further reboots don't even get that far. oh, and snap the tabs off the C-panel if you haven't already.

this is an easy fix, you might as well try it. I figured if I failed, I'd be spending for a new motherboard anyway.
So go ahead and give it a shot.

i'll be happy to answer any questions. stuckym44@yahoo.com

Adrien Coyette Mar 16, 2006, 12:56pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 16, 2006, 01:00pm EST

Hi,

I think I've something new for all the people like me who feel frustrated with their broken laptops. Indeed, my girlfriend laptop started to show all the symptoms described in the previous threads in September 2005. I tried to fix the problem myself, but it didnít work.
So, I tried another solution which is far more interesting, I think. I contacted Dell and ask for the price of a new motherboard: 561 Ä. Almost the price I bought the laptop more than one year before. Of course I refused to pay, and I asked for a free mother board minimum and they refused. It took me several months before I had all the arguments, but now I know that if there is any conception mistakes, Dell has to repair it for free if the problem occurs during the two first year after the purchase, even if the warranty is over.
So after plenty of telephone calls, they finally accepted to replace the broken motherboard. But, since the problem comes from the enclosure, it would just be a temporary remedy and the problem would certainly be the same in 1 year. Eventually, Dell agreed to offer me a brand new laptop. I should receive it within the next week.
I don't know if the consumers' rights are the same in the US, but it must be valid for the European citizen.

If you have any question, feel free ton contact me: acoyette@yahoo.fr

Diana Shulist Mar 16, 2006, 02:38pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just want to say that I appreciate the information and fix for this problem.

My 5150 recently turned 16 months old and the touch & crash symptoms started. I contacted Dell - tech support said I needed a new palm rest - $72 (+$100 shipping if I wanted it right away). I bought a palm rest - on eBay for $15. Of course, it wasn't the problem - so I called Dell again - they said - new motherboard needed. Hmmmm...anyway - I started looking for similar problems on the internet and found - literally - thousands of threads on this issue. How Dell can skirt this issue is beyond me.

The re-soldering of the points worked perfectly. I am lucky to have knowledge of the technical side of computers - I feel for the folks who don't know how to or who are afraid to tackle these problems themselves...it would cost a fortune to keep a Dell laptop running for more than 2 years.

If anyone is making a move against Dell...sign me up.

And - - - - - Thank ye - again! ------:-)

scaff scaff Mar 19, 2006, 05:24am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Mar 19, 2006, 05:52am EST

Hey, just signed up to this site so i can say thanks for the advice, havent yet soldered the machine but this is the problem i do a lot of repairs and sell machines this place is going to be a good referance. Thanks again.

Just a quick follow up took 5mins to fix Top post !!!!!!

Dane Colella Apr 18, 2006, 08:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>It took me several months before I had all the arguments, but now I know that if there is any conception mistakes, Dell has to repair it for free if the problem occurs during the two first year after the purchase, even if the warranty is over.

Does anybody have any more information on this?

Dane Colella Apr 19, 2006, 01:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, this is very interesting...
I have an Ispiron 1150 which was displaying similar but different symptoms to the C-Panel issue.
First, I tried to resolder LCV4whatever chip myself. Four times. It didnt help. I think I posted about that.
Then I sent to AQS in Buffalo. Joe gave it a look and said that that chip wasnt causing the isse but he was very helpful in explaining another issue which he has seen in a few of these machines. I will paste his explanation here:

What happens is the CPU starts to run too hot over a period of time and the
board tends to become weak (during the high heat periods) and starts to warp
or bend. What helps the bending action to happen is the pressure of the CPU
heat sink hold down screws. After a while, the CPU socket (BGA design
meaning it's attached to the motherboard via solder ball grid array) tends
to lift away from the motherboard breaking the solder ball bond of the CPU
socket to the motherboard.

I found that someone else had gotten Dell to repair their out of warranty 1150 or 5150 which was a casualty of overheating via Dell Hardware Chat (I forgot which forum it was or I'd link it here). So I logged into the chat and, well, here's what happened...(names and account #s have been changed)

0:50:35 AM System Welcome Dane
0:50:35 AM System Connecting to server. Please wait...
0:50:35 AM System Thank you for using Dell Chat, a representative will be with you soon.
0:50:35 AM System Initial Question/Comment: I am having overheating issues with Inspiron 1150
0:57:32 AM System You are now being connected to an agent. Thank you for using Dell Chat
0:57:32 AM System Connected with XXXXXX
0:58:13 AM XXXXXX Thank you for contacting Dell Hardware Warranty Support Chat. My name is XXXXXX and my rep ID number is XXXXX.. Please allow me a moment to review your question.
0:59:37 AM XXXXX If I understand the issue correctly, the Notebook is heating up, am I correct?
0:59:55 AM You no. the laptop has stopped working
1:01:06 AM XXXXX Yes, you have mentioned that Notebook is heating up.
1:01:45 AM You no the laptop does not work anymore due to warping of the motherboard resulting from overheating
1:04:06 AM XXXXX Dane, it seems the Heat sink and Fan needs to be replaced, I am sorry to say that my tools will not allow me to create any dispatch as system is out of warranty, However please give me a minute to consult with my supervisor.
1:04:28 AM You ok.
1:04:46 AM You but i dont think that the heat sink and fan are the problem
1:04:57 AM XXXXX Thank you for staying online.
1:05:22 AM XXXXX I have taken approval from my supervisor to send the Notebook to depot for repairs.
1:05:46 AM XXXXX Free of Cost.
1:05:52 AM XXXXX Is that okay with you?
1:05:57 AM You that'
1:05:59 AM You great
1:06:59 AM XXXXX Please provide me the following details, so that I can setup the service call to send the Notebook to depot for repairs
1) Complete address (with zip code)
2) Land line telephone number
3) Cell phone number if the land line phone number is not available.

*** At this point i was a little sketched out that this seemed to be so easy so I actually checked the page certificate and it definitely said Dell Inc.

1:07:03 AM XXXXX Thank you.
1:07:30 AM You may i ask, what does "to depot" mean
1:07:57 AM XXXXX Depot as in repair center.
1:08:37 AM You i see. so you will send a call tag via DLH or some package carrier?
1:08:52 AM You sorry, DHL
1:10:12 AM XXXXX I have set up a service for the system to be picked up and returned to the repair facility. To arrange pickup of the system, you will need to call (877)335-5782 for DHL to set up the return shipping. When you contact DHL, they will need the following Information:
1:10:54 AM XXXXX Reference Number
DHL Account: 123456789
1:11:04 AM XXXXX Reference number is the dispatch number.
1:11:20 AM XXXXX Please provide me the information so that I can create the dispatch.
1:11:42 AM You great thank you. ...[Address, phone numbers]....
1:12:53 AM XXXXX Thank you for the information Please stay online I want to provide you a dispatch number.
1:16:12 AM XXXXXThank you for staying online.
1:16:15 AM XXXXX Dispatch # 123456789
1:16:25 AM You thank you
1:16:31 AM XXXXX Please do not send the Hard drive and AC Adapter with the box.
1:16:41 AM You ok
1:18:03 AM XXXXX Is there anything else related to Dell hardware, I may assist you with?
1:18:21 AM You no. thank you. you have been very helpful.
1:19:20 AM XXXXX You are welcome.
1:19:24 AM XXXXX Thank you.
1:19:29 AM XXXXX Take care and Bye.
1:19:50 AM XXXXX Thank you for contacting Dell Hardware Warranty Support and allowing me the opportunity to assist you. If you still feel that there are additional Dell Hardware related concerns that need to be addressed, please contact us again at 1-800-624-9896 or Click on "Chat with Hardware Support" at the web page and enter the Service Tag. We will be happy to assist you again. Have a nice day.
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/en/...amp;~ck=mn

So I guess I'll see what happens.
I'll post results here.
By the way, this forum is great. Thanks to those of you who have provided information and congratulations to those of you who were able to fix these yourselves.

Inspiron 5150 Apr 25, 2006, 08:56pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/725889524

Dell has sold their Inspiron 5150 laptops for a few years now, but there is one problem. The laptops only work for about a year until the warranty runs out. There is an amazingly widespread problem with these laptops. Dell has been contacted numerous times. but they refuse to do anything about it. The fact is they are selling laptops that DON'T WORK. They even removed their tech support page for the Inspiron 5150 becasue they had over 60 pages of complaints. Here are some sites to help you understand just how bad this is.

http://mtaulty.com/blog/(omnujtvlaqxvxaru332hnw45)/archive/2004/11/01/847.aspx

http://mtaulty.com/blog/(odlaupqjiq4w014530fld345)/archive/2004/10/07/772.aspx

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/38291/

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id....id=184349

http://p068.ezboard.com/bi5150users

http://www.danandsherree.com/2005/04/02/our_dell_inspiron_11.php

http://reviews.cnet.com/Dell_Inspiron_5150/4852-3121_7-3041869...?tag=uolst

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/search?submitted=true&...ge_size=50

Please help the thousands who spend about two grand on a product that is faulty and has an inferior design. I found all these sites in about 20 minutes of searching for support with my problem. There are probably many many more sites like these that I cannot find just through a search engine.

So sign this petition now. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/725889524

Dane Colella Apr 25, 2006, 10:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
what is this petition trying to accomplish? We know the problem. I don't see a proposed solution that we would be petitioning for. did i miss it?

Inspiron 5150 Apr 25, 2006, 11:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 25, 2006, 11:27pm EDT

If we can get enough people to sign it, maybe JUST maybe Dell will crack under the pressure. There are already multiple people trying to file lawsuits against them. Any little part helps. So many people payed about $2,000 for a faulty product and Dell knows its faulty, but refuses to do anything about it.

Dane Colella Apr 26, 2006, 03:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
well this is quite amazing now.
DHL picked up my Inspiron 1150 on monday. it was overnighted to memphis and i received an automated phone call this morning telling me that the repair was finished and the machine was being sent back. it showed up this afternoon... WORKING!!
not only did they replace the mainboard they also replaced:
keyboard
modem
base cover assembly (which got cracked in shipping back from buffalo by FedeEx)
UI label (dunno what that is)
speakers
and updated the bios.

it was 14 mos out of warranty.
i paid Dell no money for this repair and there were hardly any questions asked.

my $1100 doorstop is a computer again.

Chris M May 12, 2006, 02:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi All,

I'm so glad there are forums like this around...

A friend of mine just gave me his Dell 1150, which I found (after some research) has this exact same problem.

I found a quick easy fix which might work for some of you if you want to try it. I can't take credit for the idea though, and I wish I could find the post again to link to, but thanks anyway to whoever tried it first!

I removed the "C" cover, peeled back the thin sticky black plastic cover, and jammed a peice of plastic from a pen cap (the thin pointy part) in between the LVC14A chip and the case. It took a couple tries wiggling it around, but it worked. It's jammed in there pretty tight and shouldn't move around. I also snapped the tab off the C cover (it won't go back on with the plastic wedged in there anyway) before putting it back on.
I've tried several times to get it to die again by putting pressure on the case, top and bottom, and haven't been able to so far. Time will tell if this is a permanant solution, and I know soldering is the way to go if you can do it (I didn't have an iron, or any skill with one, handy at the time). I may still have to try soldering if this doesn't work long term, but if your laptop's busted anyway and you're out of warranty and want to try something which requires minimal effort, give it a shot.

Thanks again to whoever came up with this!

David Bradley May 20, 2006, 11:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
What does this LVC14A chip in the Inspiron 5150 actually do? Might there be a way to disable it if it's a non-essential power controller for lower voltage inputs?

db

David Bradley May 20, 2006, 11:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
What does this LVC14A chip in the Inspiron 5150 actually do? Might there be a way to disable it if it's a non-essential power controller for lower voltage inputs?

db

Stan Bailey May 25, 2006, 12:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
http://www.lieffcabraser.com/contact/contact-dell-inspiron.htm

I really appreciate all the posts on this problem. I have an Inspiron 1150, and am having an LCD problem. I am pretty sure the inverter needs to be replaced. I called Dell, and one person said no problem talk to sales and they will place the order for you. Keep in mind that this is about 3 days after I first contacted them. After several tries, I got sales, and they said you can't buy the inverter. You have to buy the whole screen at around $400. There seems to be thousands of us with problems known or acknowledged by everyone but Dell. I found this site earlier, and thought they might could accomplish something if we would all contact them. If you post to any other site, please post this link there also. Thanks! Stan Bailey
PS I do not work for this law firm, nor am I receiving any kind of payback. Just fed up with Dell!!!!!!!!

http://www.lieffcabraser.com/contact/contact-dell-inspiron.htm

Thomas Steele Aug 02, 2006, 12:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
DELL WILL FIX IT FOR FREE!!! You just have to be EXTREMELY persistant. I went to the online chat and explained the overheating problem that killed my motherboard. 4 different times I was turned down because my laptop was 2 years out of warranty. However on my 5th try I got someone to actually give me a case number and a phone number to call. Eventuall after calling I was transfered to a different number. After 20 minutes on hold I was actually transfered to the Dell headquaters in Round Rock, Texas. I couldn't believe they actually transfered me there. After sternly yet calmly explaining to the guy that my motherboard had died twice due to the 5150 overheating issues he put me on hold for about 5-6 more minutes. When he came back he agreed to have it picked up and fixed for free, because of the overheating issues. This is no lie. Just be extremely persistant, and if you need to you can use me as an example to Dell that proves they do fix them for free. Again the main part you have to get past is finding a chat agent that will listen to you and give you a case number. Most of them quickly say your warranty is run out there is nothing we can do, but some will help you. Good luck. Here is the link to the chat session. http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/cha...&s=dhs

Carl Lauderdale Aug 05, 2006, 01:13am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Opened up my 5150...

Didn't see any damage to the L...14A, however others looked rubbed. So I soldered EVERY lead on EVERY chip under black tape. This appeared to work - came up with no issues after that. I even banged on the case by the touchpad several times as a test. The case definitely needs many more rubber support spacers to prevent the rubbing. The worst is around the "C" opening - one rubber spacer isn't enough...

Oh, and of course, the dust bunnies are horrible! Tempted to mod the case as needed. Needs to be blown out every 1-2 months at least.

Thanks for the insight on the issue. Let's see if my 5150 can stay up now...

Ian Chennell Aug 09, 2006, 11:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, I finally managed to get a free motherboard replacement out of Dell Australia for my I5150 boat anchor's "power jack problem". But ... I had to lodge a complaint through Consumer Affairs Victoria over here to get this degree of assistance out of them, and it has taken the best part of six months to get to this outcome.

The approach I took was to challenge Dell about the I5150s design problems, along with my specific machine's problem, keep challenging them, and keep detailed records of who I spoke to and when, and what the answers were that I got. Rather than accept open-ended answers, I pinned them down to deadlines - closing comments like "I expect to hear back from someone by <date> on this". When <date> arrived, I'd be ringing and emailing again to ask "how's my query coming along then...?" Then, after a while, when you repeatedly get no joy (which is probably what will happen - Dell seem to have taken a global attitude that this problem is isolated to a small handful of units), use whatever state or government consumer protection agency you have available to prompt some action. Using the documentation you've kept, show the agency that you've taken reasonable steps to rectify your problem, and give them the URL of this forum as an example of other people with the same issues. Tell them that there are IT repair businesses online basing their trade on just repairing problems with this single model of laptop! Then let the consumer protection agency go and deal with Dell on your behalf - they know how to find the managers high enough up the food chain to be held to account for your complaint.

Good luck, and don't accept your dud I5150 machine as acceptable - it's not...

Dane Colella Aug 09, 2006, 11:51am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
this is a little off topic and i apologize but it's likely that someone who follows this thread will know:
does anyone know for sure the part# for the inverter for the Inspiron 1150? i've seen 2 part numbers advertised. maybe they'll both work?

Bob Billetdeaux Aug 19, 2006, 09:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Great suggestion to cut off the tabs on the C panel. I had the power cutoff problem for several months now. I had taken the heat sink out, cleaned it and applied new grease. This helped the problem somewhat. The computer did not crash when I moved the screen, only when I picked the comupter up.

I finally figured out what tabs you all were talking about on the c panel and cut them off. The machine has now worked perfectly for 24 hours. I have banged on the case and been rough but it doesn't shut down.

Dell tech support had been horrible on this. I was told everything from replacing the hard drive, replacing the fan unit and replacing the motherboard.

My aunt in Flordia has the same model 5150 and has an identical problem. Her local tech told her she needed a new motherboard. I told her to have the tech call me or get it back and I'll fix it when I go down to Florida later this year.

Again thanks for all of the good info on this site.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.