Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1555 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 13 - 12:11am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Other Hardware /

Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when lapto...*FIX IT** for FREE 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Next >>
ronald de jonge Sep 02, 2006, 04:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when laptop moved or pressed - **FIX IT** for FRE
In the Netherlands they fix this problem for free. After 2 years I had the same problem with my Dell 5150. I called Dell last Tuesday to discuss the problem. Wednesday they replaced my motherboard and the C-panel (at my work) for free.

Great service from Dell...

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Eric Rush Sep 02, 2006, 02:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff, shutdown, crash when laptop moved or pressed - **FIX IT** for FRE
Well, it has been almost a year now (Oct 2005) since I originally posted about fixing my laptop using the instructions listed in this post. Just wanted to report to everyone that my laptop is still working fine with no repeat of the original problem.

Thanks again to the person who posted the instructions of fixing this issue. Even though I was able to get mine working, I wonder how many people have spent their money on having Dell fix it or who have replaced their laptop entirely.

Eric

Mohit Gauri Sep 06, 2006, 01:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi there,
I went exactly according to the instrustions given for LVC14A..but no change! its not working still the same damn problem :(((((...whenever i press the power button the fan turns on for like 5-6 seconds and then just goes off but the green lights in front keeps working...PLEASE HELP!

Dane Colella Sep 06, 2006, 10:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
you could be experiencing the problem that I had which is as follows: (quoted from Joe at aqstech.com)

What happens is the CPU starts to run too hot over a period of time and the
board tends to become weak (during the high heat periods) and starts to warp
or bend. What helps the bending action to happen is the pressure of the CPU
heat sink hold down screws. After a while, the CPU socket (BGA design
meaning it's attached to the motherboard via solder ball grid array) tends
to lift away from the motherboard breaking the solder ball bond of the CPU
socket to the motherboard.

Mohit Gauri Sep 06, 2006, 11:11am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi thanx for replying me bac...i wish i could attach pics or something..with this post...i hav opened everything ..n wat i have with me is..naked motherboard..a fan taken out from heat sink and a battery...if MB works fine tat means...fan should keep working without rebooting every 5-6 seconds...but it doesnt...im confused now...i have checked the documentation from texas instruments for the IC LVC14A...and since im elec engg...i read all the digital logic design for thiis IC...and according to me..its working perfectly fine coz i checked the voltage at Vcc to GND on IC and its the same as it is mentioned in the documentation.

c swanley Sep 14, 2006, 12:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Inspiron 5150 - Power cuttoff - class action settlement
dell have now reached a class action settlement in the USA and have agreed to fix all 5150 laptops

see this link
http://www.lieffcabraser.com/dell-inspiron-2.htm

however this does not help us in the UK

is any who receives a settlement letter preared to e-mail or post it so that it can help our legal case

thanks

stacey sutts Sep 27, 2006, 09:48am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
wow... I was surprised to come across this bulletin... I recently moved to Italy and it seemed like all of these issues began with my computer right after I got here. I thought it was a virus so I went crazy with antispyware and virus software... I then just started blaming it on the electricity and or software that I had to download to access the internet here... I understand that Dell will fix these issues for free, but does anyone know how I would go about doing this from Italy?

thanks!

Andy Thornley Nov 07, 2006, 01:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey guys, this is RE: the Dell Inspiron 1150 overheating/not starting issue. I just got on line at the Dell Tech Support link, explained the problem, and they are picking up the tab for repair! Check it out.

Barbara Stokes Nov 09, 2006, 05:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Andy: Your news was encouraging - I have the same problem 1150. I called Dell today and they said you were posting "bad information" on the web. They denied that Dell is replacing out of warranty defective motherboards for anything but the 5150s. Can you give me anything that would be proof that Dell is in fact acting responsibly by making no-cost repairs to nonfunctioning 1150s?

Thanks!

marc gallant Nov 16, 2006, 09:50am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
We're getting some traction for all those 1150 customers out there.
http://www.lieffcabraser.com/dell-inspiron-3.htm

Barbara Stokes Nov 16, 2006, 09:57am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Barbara Stokes Nov 16, 2006, 09:59am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Unfortunately, when I contacted the Lief law firm, they replied they are only interested in helping CALIFORNIA residents with defective Inspirons. Therefore, the previous email is somewhat misleading. More disappointment..

Dane Colella Nov 16, 2006, 10:47am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
TO Mohit Gauri:
you might want to check to see if your problem is your LCD backlight or inverter . turn on the laptop and shine a flashlight on the screen. if you can see that the screen is actually on but very dim then it's probably your backlight inverter board and not the lvc14a or mobo. the inverter is easy to replace but tough to find the right one.

i had my inverter go a few months after i finally got Dell to replace my mobo after the cpu grid ball array problem (see post above somewhere).
i'll never buy a Dell again.

KU K Dec 13, 2006, 03:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
did you mean to say "too much and too little paste both have a negative effect"?

I bought my 5150 in London, England in Oct 2003. I used it as a desktop replacement on a relatively dust free hard surface and hardly moved it. It was solid for 3 years exactly. Then, after moving to Germany 2006 1600x1200 screen displayed a strong red tint. This went away after about 1 week... no idea why.

I then started to use the laptop to watch DVDs, placing it on my bed and onto my lap putting significant pressure on the c-panel. After only a few weeks my laptop was shutting down whenever it was moved. Although a total amateur on PC hardware, I isolated the c-tab as being particularly sensitive, stripped down the laptop and peeled off all black stickers to look for cracks etc. I did not use a magnifying glass (foolish), and found nothing except a poorly secured hard drive. After fixing this with some distance pieces and reassembling I rebooted to find I had not fixed anyhing...

Off to the world wide web. I stumbled upon the 5150 overheating problem and solution first. The human mind loves a solution and hates thinking, so I blocked out all doubts, stripped my laptop down again and cleaned out the fan casing from the inside. As practical aerodynamics is a big part of my job I would claim that dust accumulation in front of the radiator fins and on the fins themselves is indeed a big problem. The energy removed from the airflow by a 1mm layer of dusty matting is definately signficant in this case. However this is only an assumption based on experience. Replaced the contact paste on the CPU/heat sink, reassembled, rebooted and the normal operating temperature was down by 10degC, as has been found by many others. Still had the shut-down problem though.

Off to the web again and after reading about the successful class action lawsuit in the US, and finding no-one with a solution for lazy Europeans, I finally found this post. A colleague lent me a fine, temperature controlled, Weller soldering iron and a magnifying glass. At 350degC I heated the joints until I could just see the solder running. Added a very small amount of solder to a few spots. I probably made contact for 5 sec per leg, but I did let things cool down in between. Clipped off the tabs on the c-panel. All seams great now. Let's wait and see.

So this is a BIG THANK YOU to all of those who take the time to post these solutions and investigate problems in detail. Also to those who take legal action. Saved me a lot of money. (didn't even try Dell's customer service after an initial effort just to buy my laptop from them!)

I'm sure everyone here is aware that this is not only a Dell problem, even if this is a pretty krass example. I don't need to mention the faults with my very new BMW or illustrate my experiences working for some big engineering firms, to convince anyone of this problem. Corporations do lie on a big scale, even when problems are clear in the design phase of new products. One small consolance: the consumer has the power not to buy the products in future. However, as this lack of quality, testing and business ethics is a world-wide trend, the consumer has very little alternatives indeed. In fact I feel that the consumer often attempts a strange "revenge" by jumping on the "Big Train of Overly-Primitive Capitalism" which seems to be in fashion. How many people are copying the big firms and selling defective products to each other privately, over the internet or otherwise? The change has to start with the individual; consumer, engineer, manager & accountant. This trend is clearly hurting us all, every day.

I wasted a lot of time on this little problem and really needed my laptop in the meantime. Here a some pictures to help others. Let me know if they have already been posted.

err.. after trying to be so clever: how can I post images? If not possible, does anyone have a web site I can post the images on?

Mohit Gauri Dec 15, 2006, 01:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 31, 2016, 10:34pm EDT

MSG REMOVED

John Peverelli Jan 08, 2007, 05:56am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thankyou VERY much for taking the time to post this fix.

it worked a treat for me, has saved me potentially a lot of money and a lot of time end effort.

so thankyou very much :-)

Jon Deane Jan 08, 2007, 02:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you for posting this fix, I contacted Dell about this problem after reading here and received absolutely no help from them but they were more than willing to sell me a new motherboard!

Thanks again you've saved me a lot of money and trouble.

Regards,
Jon.

Sal m Jan 21, 2007, 06:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dell has recently settled a class action suit filed on behalf of consumers who own the Inspiron 5150 notebook.

Parties to this Class Action have agreed to a Settlement. Class Counsel and Plaintiffs have concluded that the Settlement, described below is fair, adequate, reasonable, and in the best interest of the Settlement Class.

The Court has certified the following Class for Settlement purposes only:
All individuals and entities in the United States who own, or have owned, for their own use and not for resale, a Dell Inspiron 5150 notebook computer (the "Settlement Class").

The Court did not determine the merits of Plaintiff's claims or Dell's defenses.

The Court held a hearing on December 4, 2006, at 9:00 a.m., in the United States District Court for the Northern District of California, located at 280 South 1st Street, San Jose, California 95113. The Court, in an order dated December 4, 2006, approved the Settlement as fair, reasonable, and adequate, and entered judgment thereon. The Court also approved the request of Class Counsel for an award of attorneys' fees and reimbursement of expenses. The Court further approved the request of Class Counsel for a stipend paid to the two Representative Plaintiffs, in the amount of $750 each, for the services rendered in this litigation, over and above other remedies included in the Settlement.

Please note that the deadlines for objecting to, or excluding yourself from, the Settlement have now passed.

If you wish to submit a claim for a Reimbursable Repair, you must submit your claim, on-line or by mail prior to April 2, 2007.

http://www.lundellsettlement.com/status.html

Dane Colella Jan 22, 2007, 12:15am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
let's get one of these for the 1150s too

Todd Halfpenny Jan 26, 2007, 07:05am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have had the same issue in the UK... my machine is bout 3 to 4 yrs old.

I have phoned Dell and had a moan at them and talked to supervisors who all said this could not be repaired free as it was out of warranty. I kept mentioning that in the states and holland these were replaced free of charge and that I was using an external mouse so it had taken along time for this problem to manifest itself. I was then passed through to customer relations who said that as a good will gesture they would get an engineer to fix it under warranty.

The engineer should be coming Monday so I'll let you know how it goes... fingers crossed.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.