Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1079 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 18 - 09:25am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

A7N8X Problems 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>
sasdf asdfg May 01, 2003, 03:08am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: A7N8X Problems
If you call up Kingston and explain the problem...they will send you new RAM modules since its a compatibility issue between their RAM and the motherboard.

However you have pay return shipping :(

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Robert Lankey May 12, 2003, 09:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I suppose that confirms my suspicions. I just bought the parts necessary (A7N8X Deluxe, XP 2200+, Kingston 512 PC2700) to upgrade from an Athlon 900 system. I'm running 4 case fans, a GF4 Ti4200, 4 IDE devices (one of which is DVD-RW), SB 5.1, TV Wonder, cathode light in addition to the new hardware. I wasn't getting past the POST. I'd get the single beep, but after that nothing. With the GF4 in I'd get no POST text (got the asus splash though, not a huge surprise actually, don't get text with the other mobo for some reason on this card?). After popping in a GF2 I have, I get POST text but system won't move anywhere after single beep good POST.

The catch... My PSU is only 300 :) Didn't think it would work and after reading this post I think I'll go to 450+. Thanks. I REALLY hope the memory doesn't act up too much :)

Lloyd Keay May 12, 2003, 06:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i have two sticks of Crucial 256mb pc2700 in slots 1+3 respectively.They run perfectly at 166(333).My processor is a 2400+ so has a 266fsb.it all runs perfect.But i think i was lucky you have to pick your ram very carefully with the a7n8x.i would certainly recommend Crucial.

rob temple May 15, 2003, 10:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everyone,

My problems slightly different, not ram, (my memory was purchased with the mb and had been tested if anyone wants to know what brand it is ill look!) ,

anyway
purchased a7n8x amd 2200+ pc 166 ddr (cant remember the brand) formatted my hd clean install win xp pro, installed the latest drivers for motherboard agp soundcard windows updates everything, device manager has an exclemation mark next to motherboard recources , in properties it displays the following

General tab

device type - system devices
Manufacturer - standard
Location - on pci bus

Device status
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware because there is a duplicate device already running in the system. (Code 42)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

ok, now, there is motherboard resources listed in device manager 3 times, 2 of them as above , (i assume thats the problem??) should there be 3 motherboard recources ??? 1,2,3,4???
it only seems to be effecting one thing
windows messenger wont start, now im not bothered about using it, however when its not started( i mean running in the background /system tray, not the logon screen) my internet connection sharing goes out the window, my internet gateway is no longer available to my 2nd and 3rd pc,

if i uninstall the motherboard recources with the problem, i can eventually get messenger to start and connection sharing, but as soon as i restart the pc, .....all over again,

my pc is as follows

a7n8x (bios revision 1001 e)
amd 2200+
512 mb ddr (1 stick)
100gb hd space on 2 drives
geforce mmx 440 8x agp
creative sound blaster audigy 2 platinum sound
atapi dvd rom
liteon cdrw

if theres anyone who can help me with this problem i will be over the moon,
thanks in advance for any help

Rob

Luke Mertens May 15, 2003, 08:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I checked my device manager and I have 3 motherboard resources in it too. Did you install the drivers from Nvidia or Asus? I think I read that the Asus board has something different from the other Nvidia boards that requires the Asus driver rather than the generic Nvidia one. Perhaps that could cause problems, although I've done just about the same things you have, I first installed Asus's drivers, then installed Nvidias on top of that, then I windows updated. This probably does not help at all but I felt like pretending to help.

rob temple May 16, 2003, 02:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
well at least i know there should be 3 , well assume there should be,...i had installed the asus drivers that came with the disk, also the correct ones for nforce...hmm, .....anyone else with any ideas??

Chris M May 27, 2003, 09:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've been having strange problems with my A7N8X... after exiting games and other full screen apps my video system becomes sluggish and the screen will flicker

I fear a hardware problem such as overheating but since im no hardware guru i wanted to ask first to see if anyone had a clue as to what my problem could be.

ps...no problems with ram and im using hyundai pc2100 512mb

--
It is said that when it comes to life, those who feel see it as a tragedy. Those who think see it as a comedy.
Rob Laxton May 30, 2003, 11:10am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I purchased the following items:

ASUS A7N8X Deluxe (rev 1.4)
AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Kingston PC2700 512MB (1 stick)
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro

After setting up WinXP all appeared to run normally until I installed Soldier of Fortune 2. The game would load and play but would sometimes freeze or reboot my computer. The amount of play time varied from 5 mins to 45 mins before the crashes happened. I have read through this forum and many others to no avail. In researching further on the internet, I located someone who had the same problem and their fix was to adjust the bios settings for the cpu frequency from 133 to 100 Mhz. I did this and lo and behold my game crashes have stopped...but now my processor is only registering as an 1800+. I have already returned my motherboard to the company once and they sent it back saying that it was fine. I have also updated the bios 3 times to the latest 1004. I have downloaded the latest motherboard and chipset drivers still no luck. I did discover that the latest drivers for the video card do not work well with this combination....so I am currently using the drivers supplied on the cd along with DirectX 8.1b. I finally got fed up with trying to get this system to work properly that I am returning my motherboard for a new replacement. Everyone that I have spoken with seems to think there is a flaw with some of the capacitors on this motherboard. I just find it perplexing to know that I spent so much money on a new system only to have so many disappointments. I hope that the new motherboard relieves me of my woes.

Hope that I have been able to help ya!

{VOD}RodeoBob
SOF2
Valley of Death CTF

Cya in the Valley!

Sugar Daddy May 30, 2003, 12:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It's a problem with the nForce2 chipset, that causes it to be very picky about the memory. I had the same problem, which caused a few of my games to crash or reboot. I use to be running 2x512mb kingston HyperX PC2700 in dual mode. I fixed the problem by setting the memory in the bios to AUTO it makes it run more stable, but it's only gonna run at the FSB of your CPU. Set your CPU to 133mhz since you have the 2400+. I'm pretty sure it should work stable now. Since then, I returned the HyperX & purchased the Geil 1gig dual channel kit of PC3200 for $167+$15(S/H) from eBay. Now this memory is badazz, & runs perfectly stable at 333mhz along side my 2600+(333mhz). It even runs rock steady if I run it at 400mhz, but I don't like overclockin'. I'm perfectly happy running stock! Oh yeah also my Sandra scores went from 2126(HyperX), to 2476(Geil Dual Channel Kit). Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Doughnut Dunker Jun 01, 2003, 05:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've about given up on this damn mobo. Every spare moment for the last 4 weeks has been spent trying to solve problems. The support available from Asus has been zilch (have you seen their FAQ? nothing there about crashing, hanging, rebooting, memory incompatibility, chewing up HDDs, sound probs, modem probs etc). So far it has cost me a fortune in new sticks of memory, a new case and power unit, Windows XP pro, lost sleep, sanity and temper. Auto loading BIOS Rev 1003 instead of the 1001c version has helped a little. Now I have a sporting chance of browsing the internet before the system reboots (must be quick - it could go any second) but the system remains very unstable and I get no sound. A message to Asus - you don't deserve the good write-ups for this M/B because there are too many problems (read this forum) and your support sucks.

Luke Mertens Jun 01, 2003, 06:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm really surprised at how bad this motherboard is. Mine's working fine now but I'm probablly never going to buy another asus board again. I'm going back to abit for sure, they are the king of the brands that start with "a" and thats the truth. My old KT7A is still running strong, fast and stable after 3 years.

rob temple Jun 02, 2003, 03:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
not really a problem this time just a couple of questions, .im thinking of buying some new ram, anyone tried ocz technology ?? there suppoesed to be the best out there........ has it been tested on this Mb, also, could anyone tell me what the fastest processor is i can put on the a7n8x, at the moment 2200+

thanks

rob

Sugar Daddy Jun 02, 2003, 03:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well as for OCZ memory, it's pretty good. Memory that I would recomend that will work flawlessly with the A7N8X are Geil, OCZ, & Corsair XMS. Just make sure you get the Dual Channel Kits. All three companys make them. If you have money to spare I would purchase the Corsair, or OCZ. If your on a tight budget, I would go with the Geil Dual Channel Kit. I have tested all three & they all pretty much score about the same on Sandra. As for the processor I think if you flash the bios to the latest ones, you should be able to run upto a Barton 3000+. Good luck!

rob temple Jun 02, 2003, 06:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanks ,

that really helps, money isnt an issue when it comes to upgrading my pc, so would the ocz be the best??, i was looking at the platinum ones (dont they look prety,lol) also to upgrade to that sort of processor would i need to consider any extra cooling???

Rob Laxton Jun 02, 2003, 08:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well after many months of frustration with my rev 1.4 board, I have returned it to Mwave for a replacement. I also have an Abit KT7A and the damn thing is a very strong and stable board never ever had a crash or problem with it. So, my next board will not be an ASUS. I just hope that my woes will get better when my new mobo comes in. Your right, the ASUS website is very much so lacking in the "troubleshooting" and technical help department. Surely those mobo geeks have heard all of the rumblings about the problems with this board.

I am due to get my mobo back in a few days.....I will post an update on "How goes it" when I get it reinstalled.

{VOD} RodeoBob
Valley of Death CTF (Soldier of Fortune 2)

Cya in the Valley!

Sugar Daddy Jun 03, 2003, 02:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well if I had to choose between OCZ & Corsair XMS, I would go with the Corsair XMS in a heart-beat! All three memorys that I mentioned before ran stable as a rock! Corsair is a little more popular with the A7N8X owners, & had the best scores out of the three brands, following close behind was the Geil Dual Channel Kit, & OCZ in last. The scores weren't that big of a difference between all three. Any of the three will work wonders on your motherboard, & I know you'll be very happy. OCZ & Corsair run about the same price, while the Geil memory runs about $90 cheaper than the other two for the 2x512mb PC3200 kits. As for better HSF, I would recommend you by something a little better than the retail fan that comes with your processor. Newegg(.)com has some really good prices on HSF. Look into Zalman copper HSF, they work great & they aren't priced too bad. As for the other Rob putting down Asus, It's not Asus fault for most of the problems that some people are having. It's an issue with the nForce2 chipset. So every motherboard with the nForce2 chipset have their fair share of problems. Asus might not be perfect, but it's one of the most stable making motherboard companys. Most of their MBs with different chipsets are always on the top five MBs, but I guess your intitle to your own opinion. Latex!

aaron britt Jun 03, 2003, 12:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm waiting on my A7N8X boards to come in, but i do have an 800 amd motherboard that i had the same problem with it restarting.. after going through agonizing questions with tech support, I finally went through the Bios and loaded defaults,,, Problem solved.

Chris McNally Jun 05, 2003, 01:08am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Anyone with the code 42 error described above affecting motherboard resources:

This is caused by using a USB mouse and keyboard combination with BIOS rev.1001. Problem is easily solved with a bios update-I'm using 1004 with no problems. Don't use the windows based utility that comes with the board to flash it though-this can apparently cause heartache.

Still can't run with more than one memory module, though-even corsair XMS2700LL twinx modules makes my machine crash repeatedly, so I'm sticking with 512MB until ASUS pulls wakes up and starts supporting their customers......

Regards,

Chris McNally

Moderator - Hardware Analysis
E-mail: chris@hardwareanalysis.com
Sugar Daddy Jun 05, 2003, 01:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
There's your problem, try using the PC3200 Corsair XMS LL, make sure there are not the LLPT series. I have never heard of anyone on any forum say that they had one single reboot with the PC3200 LL series. I've tried the LL PC3200 & work flawless, but I would still chose my Geil PC3200 Dual Channel Kit over any other. $167 for 1gig. Can't go wrong & never had a single reboot. Hand-picked modules, sure make a difference, they are all equally the same production date.

Doah Speers Jun 05, 2003, 02:29am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I hope I can clear things up for the BIOS settings.

The FSB for the CPU is 2 * the CPU External Frequency. So if you wish to get a 333 MHzFSB then set the CPU External Frequency to 166 MHz

Now with regards to the memory every one is having problems with. There is a misconception with the Resulting Frequency in the BIOS. This displays the memory Frequency for one side of your memory (DDR is Double Data Rate). So what this means is if you have a PC3200 memory stick and wish it to run at 400 MHz you can do two things:

1. set the Memory Frequency to By SPD which it should detect the Frequency and should display 200 MHz in the Resulting Frequency so the memory is actully 2 * 200 MHz giving 400 MHz ( because as stated before it is DDR memory)

2. If your CPU External Frequency is set to 166 MHz (which it should be to achive 333 MHz FSB) then set the Memory Frequency to 120% which would display 200 MHz in the Resulting Frequency so the memory is actully 2 * 200 MHz giving 400 MHz ( because as stated before it is DDR memory)

If you wish to run the memory at 333 MHz then just set the Memory Frequency to 100% (or Sync). This is provided you have the CPU External Frequency set to 166 MHz. This should now display 166 MHz in the Resulting Frequency so the memory is actully 2 * 166 MHz giving 333 MHz ( because as stated before it is DDR memory)

Do NOT try to get the Resulting Frequency to Display 334 MHz or 400 MHz as that would mean you are trying to run your memory at 668 MHz or 800 MHz.

Most PC3200 memory stick it can run at 400 MHz or 333 Mhz.

Just remember these two things:

1) Times the CPU External Frequency by 2 to get the CPU FSB
2) Times the Resulting Frequency by 2 to get the actual Memory Frequency

Hope this helps!

Doah

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.