Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1085 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 10 - 09:22pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

A7N8X Problems 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>
rob temple Jun 05, 2003, 09:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: A7N8X Problems
thanks to everyone on this board for their help, i just like to thank Chris McNally personally on the system recources problem, had me stuck for ages!!!!, thanks again, one question to anyone who knows, can i upgrade the bios from 1001, straight to 1004??? or do i need to go up in stages??,

again many thanks to everyone,

rob

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Chris McNally Jun 05, 2003, 09:48am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Rob,

Always a pleasure.

You can go straight from 1001 to 1004, no problem.

Regards,

Chris McNally

Moderator - Hardware Analysis
E-mail: chris@hardwareanalysis.com
rob temple Jun 05, 2003, 09:51am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanks, just looked at the asus site to find the update, just reading how to do it now,,,lol

Chris McNally Jun 05, 2003, 10:29am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm tempted to try PC3200 memory as suggested above, but don't see why I should have to lay out the extra cash to buy faster memory and then run it at a slower speed than it's capable of to mach the FSB of the chip (XP2600) when PC2700 is the recommended speed for my board and processor and SHOULD WORK PERFECTLY, DAMMIT!!!!!

I've tried so many different things to get this board working in Dual Channel mode to get the 5% increase that I've just run out of patience (and cash) and overclocked the processor 5% instead. Now benchmarking the same as a XP3000 though :-)

May try swapping out the power supply, though, for a 400W item(although, yes, you guessed it, 350W should be just fine and is the recommended ....blah blah ect ect) , when I've stopped sobbing and pulled myself together........

Regards,

Chris McNally

Luke Mertens Jun 05, 2003, 02:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
haha, my 350 watt antec psu just died. I have to get a bigger one cause my 3.3v rail is only giving me 2.3v. All you a7n8x owners will be happy to know though that this board has a nice feature that keeps saying "system failed cpu check" when your system fails the cpu check due to things like only 2.3v.

rob temple Jun 05, 2003, 04:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ok, thats it, im confused...........am i going about this the wrong way,

went to asus site
downloaded bios 1004
flash utilities
created startup disk
flash and bios onto floppy
tried loading aflash (like it says on asus site) connot find bios hook???
loaded awdflash
typed the name of new bios
saved original bios to floppy
starts reading floppy, ...with the message "please wait"

after waiting 15 minutes i got extremely bored.......picking my nose and all sorts...had to restart the dam thing

any help ??

Chris McNally Jun 05, 2003, 05:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Silly question-did you download AWDFLASH.ZIP from the Asus site, and if so, did you unzip it before you saved it to the floppy?

Regards,

Chris McNally

rob temple Jun 06, 2003, 01:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
yes, all the pps were unzippeed, saved to floppy, (from asus)

Manu c Jun 06, 2003, 09:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Make sure you have a FRESH install of your OS on THIS motherboard and that
the drive was partitioned and formatted on this motherboard. Make sure
that you install the most recent drivers in the following order:
1) Chipset/Motherboard drivers (Example, VIA 4 in 1's for VIA chipsets,
Intel INF and Application Accelerator for Intel chipsets, Etc.) Do this
BEFORE loading any other driver!
2) Latest version of Direct X.
3) Latest Video Card drivers.
4) SCSI/ATA drivers
5) Lan/NIC drivers
6) Modem drivers, then any other drivers
7) Finally, install sound card drivers last.
that part of the asus tech is so stupid. looks like they don't know what they make.
on the A7N8X the chipset is a NVIDIA and when installing the drivers for the chipset it also install the LAN driver and the Audio Drivers
so on step 1 we do also step 5 and 6 lol
looks like the ASUS TECHS didn't involve since my previous asus board the CUSL2-C

----------------------------------------------------------------
Chieftec DX Tower / 4X80mm Fans
QTec Dual Fan Gold 550W
XP 2500 Barton / Falcon Rock II / Stars-700 Silver
Asus A7N8X Deluxe - 2X512Mb DDR400
Abit Siluro Ti4200 128Mb
Chris McNally Jun 06, 2003, 10:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Rob,

Have you tried pressing ALT+F2 at startup-on my board this takes you straight into the AWDFLASH utility without having to mess around with startup disks ect. Then all you need is a floppy with the .BIN file on it and Bob's yer uncle.

Assuming that doesn't do it for you-how did you create your startup disk? The Asus website instructions for creating the disk assume that you're doing this before the OS is loaded, and specifies that the disk should not contain AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS files. So if you've used the standard windows procedure to create the disk, delete those files from it and then try again. Also, should have mentioned before, make sure you have the correct BIOS for your board revision-there are two different one's listed. Your mobo revision is printed on the board itself if you're not sure.

Finally, there are two versions of the award flash utility on this webpage:

http://www.asus.com.tw/support/english/techref/bios/index.aspx

Make sure you've downloaded the correct one-you need "AWDFLASH.ZIP" and not "AFLASH.EXE"

Hope this helps.

Chris.

Regards,

Chris McNally

Doughnut Dunker Jun 06, 2003, 01:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Anyone know the e-mail address of the Chairman of Asus? I'd like to tell him about the crap product and service of his Company. I've had over 4 weeks of intensive problem solving and I still can't get sound. Thanks to everyone on this forum for their suggestions. Now where's that rope.

rob temple Jun 06, 2003, 03:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yes thanks Chris, that does help a bit,

i do have the option to run awdflash straight from the bios, howver i only have a usb keyboard which i connot use this , using a floppy however then running awdflash from that, (that i got from asus site) allows me to use the keyboard, (i assume this is because the computer has completed all its tasks prior to running windows, memory tests etc, pressin alt f2 bypasses all of this, i dont know just guessing), i have got my original bios saved to floppy, the new one unzipped and saved to floppy, ive run awdflash, entered the name of the new one (with the extensions) its found it then says please wait..........................................................................forever lol

Chris McNally Jun 06, 2003, 06:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hmm.....the plot thickens. Try unplugging your mouse before you start the computer and see if it accepts the ALT+F2 command. I'm sure you'll have better luck using the onboard Awdflash untility. If that doesn't work see if you can borrow a PS2 keyboard from someone and use that instead.

Regards,

Chris McNally

bowie71 Jun 06, 2003, 06:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just replaced my mobo with A7N8X ver. 1.06 mobo. It is a great board, with same specifications (nothin changes, only the mobo) I get 200 points higher in CPU benchmar using PCMARK2001 and 150 points higher 3Dbenchmark2001 than before. The problems is that I am not able to start it up after I turn my rig off. I need to switch the power supply off or unplug the power cord (cold boot or warm boot???). Other problems is that my southbridge chipset is damn so HOT!!!!, I put heatsink on it using double tape but still, the chipset won't cool down.
<p>
Any idea why it happens?.. I have updated to the newest BIOS.
AMD XP1700+
384MB DDR PC2100
60GB & 40GB HD
128MB GFORCE4 TI4600
CDROM 52X
PS 450W

David Madders Jun 09, 2003, 08:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Radeon 8500 (64MB)
512MB PC 2700 (Kingmax)
Athlon XP 2400 (temp in the low 40's)

Same problems that everyone else has described, dropping back to desktop, or re-booting itself whilst playing games or whilst just being stared at. IE & Outlook Express closing itself down. Misc memory errors with other apps.

I flashed the BIOS to 1004, downloaded latest drivers from Asus (the ones from invidia aren't compatible), latest drivers from ATI, set memory speed down to 133 from 166 by changing setting from SPD to Auto.

Now everything is working fine (touch wood).

Can anybody explain how best to get memory speed back up to 166 without any problems? Did somebody say that Kingmax will exchange old for new because of some compatibility problem with this mobo?
Thanks

Sugar Daddy Jun 09, 2003, 10:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm glad to hear your problem was solve with my little tip David. Almost everyone who owns an A7N8X has the same problems, unless they got special Dual Channel Memory. If you want to run your memory at 166 or even 200mhz, your gonna have to invest some money on a decent set of Dual Channel Memory. OCZ, Corsair XMS(LL), Samsung, Geil, & there's a few other brands out there that I don't remember right now. I've heard that if your only running one stick, & that it's not 512mb or higher, that you can run it byspd, & it will work fine with even cheap memory. Just don't try a single 512mb stick unless it's from one of the brands I mentioned above. There's no way you can run your memory higher than your CPU's FSB, unless someone comes out with some kind of fix that I don't know of. Good luck

Chris McNally Jun 10, 2003, 04:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had the same problems even with Corsair Twinx LL modules (which are supposed to be tested on the A7N8X mobo before they're shipped). Single stick of 512mb works just fine on my system, even though it's not one of the well known brands (Integral, I think).

Regards,

Chris McNally

Sugar Daddy Jun 10, 2003, 07:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well on the Corsair XMS memory you have to make sure it's the LL model, & not the LLPT model. You never know, there might always be some cases when they don't even work. Hmmm..., but that's a first to my knowledge. As for a 512 stick working, I said I had heard that around, but I never tested that myself.

David Madders Jun 11, 2003, 07:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You know the funny thing is this. I had actually ordered the A7V8X but got the NForce2 board by mistake and decided to give it a go instead of exchanging it, with it having dual channel memory and all (a slightly more expensive board than the VIA).

Doh!!

Brian Collinson Jun 12, 2003, 02:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tried Doah Speers tip to get my Pc3200 running at 400mhz
My machine will not boot at all now even if I clear CMOS by removing the
Battery.
ANYONE GOT ANY IDEA'S??

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.