Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1137 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 02 - 02:47am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

USB pen drive : Remove the write-protection or use another disk.. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>
ravindra babu Jan 11, 2009, 01:31am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: USB pen drive : Remove the write-protection mode
hi guys i had a problem with my USB pendrive
when i want to copy from it,it,ok
but when i wana do format an error coming like your drive in write protected mode
and also coming the another removable disk with size 1.76 TB
can you give me a sloutio plz...it is a transcend company product

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
ravindra babu Jan 11, 2009, 01:48am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: USB pen drive : Remove the write-protection or use another disk..
hi guys i had a problem with my USB pendrive
when i want to copy from it,it,ok
but when i wana do format an error coming like your drive in write protected mode
and also coming the another removable disk with size 1.76 TB
can you give me a sloutio plz...it is a transcend company product

umesh k Feb 01, 2009, 11:16am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi all..
i think u bought the duplicate pen drive.. go n enjoy with that funny thing...i also had same problem.. but i dint finfd any proper solution for that.. forget abut me n u.. more than 10000 people are suffering from this funny thing becaue they all bought a duplicate drive in a cheaper rate.. and at that time he thought that maine baji mar li.. but that is not true.. baji to usne mari jisse aapne drivr liya.....

if still u have any dought then god bhi help nahi kar sakta.. sorry brother...

deepak singh May 20, 2009, 02:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
plz help me out
my pen drive shows write protected and doesn't work properly
it opens but no objects moving in or out.
plz help me

kermit yip Jun 09, 2009, 02:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Try this,
Check out if the USB drive has a small swich for write protection. If its there try toggling the switch.

Windows can all write protect flash drives. Check out this registry path,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies.

You may find a key here on the right side by the name 'WriteProtect'. If it's not there this would not be the cause of problem. If it's there, make sure that the value is 0.

sendo geneblazo Jul 08, 2009, 03:57am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi
I'm using a card reader to get files from my computer..Every time I copy a file from my pc to my card reader this memo always comes out.."the disk is write protected pls. remove the write protection." pls help me I'm getting sicked of it..tnx 4 those hu will help me..

zaki awang Jan 01, 2010, 01:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i cant format even in linux. i suspect write-protect is in hardware base

my lsubs;
Bus 001 Device 013: ID 1005:b113 Apacer Technology, Inc. Handy Steno 2.0/HT203

this topic back to 2006, still no right solution hence cant be close!

john albrich Jan 01, 2010, 01:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Might give self-booting PartedMagic a try, format FAT16.

http://partedmagic.com/

Joe GOH Apr 13, 2010, 07:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
AVXIE USB FLASH DRIVE.

When i double click that Removable Drive , it appears ( The Disk in Drive F is Not Formatted )
Do You want to format it now? I pressed YES and it comes the disk in Drive F cannot be Formatted.. any solution pls~ kindly help me pls thanks

salonde meohmie Jun 05, 2010, 07:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi there. This is my first time here. I have been hunting for info and trying various things to be able to use my 4GB flash drive again. It's an LGear and I've used it back and forth between my 3 home computers for months with no problems whatsoever.

a couple of weeks ago I cleared it off to start fresh. I put one file on it which I have used and copied before so I know it was a good file. when I tried to add another file to it--that's when it screwed up and first showed the message--copy write protected- and would not let the new file on. Then I could not even delete the file that was just put on there.

I've tried all the advice I've found online so far and nothing has worked. It will not let me reformat or anything. NOW-- today I decided to delete some files off of my Coby 4GB mp3 player. The same thing just happened for the first time with this player that I have also been using for months with no problems. !!!???!!!

I'm wondering if this has something to do with Windows Automatic Updates and security settings.?
Like I said- I have used these 2 different units back and forth with 3 computers for months with zero trouble. now one by one they are being rendered useless.

niky ar Aug 31, 2010, 06:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 31, 2010, 06:42pm EDT

hi frendz.

i had problem as cant format usb drive due to write protetion. here the solution. its work. thank to apacer prugram (but im using kingston data traveller).

just to sharing here... :)

http://www.fixya.com/support/t345484-format_write_protect_usb_drive

Surendar V Dec 11, 2010, 12:36am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi friends !

I have a problem in my Flash Disk. When I plug it in the USB port, my PC detects it and I can see removable disk (G:) in My Computer. When I double click and open the disk, I can open it normally. BUT...

1. When I try to delete any file from Flash Disk, I can't delete any file. I receive the following error message...

Error Deleting File or Folder
Cannot delete <filename>: The disk is write-protected.
Remove the write-protection or use another disk.

2. When I try to copy a file from Hard Disk to Flash Disk, I can't copy. I receive the following error message...

Error Copying File or Folder
Cannot Copy <filename>: The disk is write-protected.
Remove the write-protection or use another disk.

3. When I try to format the disk from Windows Graphical Mode by right click--->Format, I receive the message...

The disk is write-protected.

4. When I use Command Prompt and give this command ---->Format G:, I receive the following message...

Insert new disk for drive G:
and press ENTER when ready...
(when I press ENTER, I receive the second message...)
The type of the file system is FAT32.
Verifying 491M.
Cannot format. The volume is write-protected.

5. When I scanned the Flash Disk with Kaspersky 6.0, it detected some viruses and threats, and suggested me to delete the files. When I chose the option to delete them, Kaspersky couldn't delete them and gave the following message...

The Volume is write-protected.

Note that: I don't think that the Flash Disk is corrupted because it is detected by the OS and showing 491 MB capacity. The file system on Flash Disk is also identified by OS as FAT32. When I copy one file From Flash Disk--->To Hard Disk, I can copy it. So I am quite sure that Flash is OK.

Also Note that I have not protected my Flash Disk by any Locking Utility. Previously I was able to open it and to copy/delete files on it

Please help me in this regard. Waiting for your valuable suggestion

john albrich Dec 11, 2010, 02:01am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 11, 2010, 02:06am EST

You might try downloading and using this freeware utility. I have NOT tried it myself.
http://us.apacer.com/support/download/result/3,8,1572
It downloads a tool package (currently) called Repair_v2.9.1.9.zip
It will FORMAT your USB stick with more granularity than normal. Of course your data will be effectively destroyed by this format.

Alternately...
Someone once suggested booting from a Linux Live CD/DVD (Ubuntu, Knoppix, etc) and formatting the USB stick that way. I think the theory was that if it was a Windows virus preventing access, that Linux would ignore it, thus letting you format the memory stick. I don't know what level of formatting this provides, so it may be possible a sophisticated virus could re-assert itself afterwards if it's a simple/quick level of format.

edit to add:
BTW, you now need to scan your system for viruses too, as it may have been infected by the USB stick or your copying files from it.

Justin I'Onn Jan 10, 2011, 09:26am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My 8GB Maxell Xtractor USB Stick had become "Write Protected", after I'd tried to batch-encode some media files contained on it. It wasn't physically damaged, there's no copy protect switch on the stick... Windows XP Pro was recognizing it as a removable drive, but was unable to format due to it being allegedly "write protected." It still displayed the correct drive size, albeit as a RAW format and not FAT32.

I tried all kinds of different formatting utilities. I tried booting in Safe Mode with DOS Commands and running a format; it still appeared to be copy protected. Nothing worked...

So, I added the Write Protection Registry BAT entry on this page:

http://www.troublefixers.com/remove-write-protection-on-usb-pe...d-or-ipod/

I then amended the Registry Entry value to zero as suggested on that linked page - still no luck.

Out of frustration, I decided to try the JetFlash Online Recovery tool - even though my stick was manufactured by Maxell...

http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/online_recovery_2.asp?dw=1

Unbelievably, it worked. I don't know how, but it worked. :-)

If anybody still has the same problem, I'd urge you try the JetFlash Online Recovery tool. Just make sure you unplug any other external drives with the same storage capacity as your USB stick, because it identifies the USB stick by disk size.

john albrich Jan 10, 2011, 09:50am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Justin I'Onn said:
...Out of frustration, I decided to try the JetFlash Online Recovery tool - even though my stick was manufactured by Maxell...
http://www.transcendusa.com/Products/online_recovery_2.asp?dw=1 ....

This is a non-specific comment. It is not directed at any particular company or person. The same warning applies to any online application, "cloud" computing, etc

The tool is an online application. I know I'm more security conscsious (aka paranoid) than many PC users, but using an online tool with such low-level access to the stick means the data on the stick could POTENTIALLY be copied or manipulated by the website without your knowledge.

I would guess that it also might require lowering some browser or anti-virus program security settings on your computer in order to use it...which could further expose the rest of your (and others' if a shared computer) system and data...either directly or if you forget to subsequently re-assert the protection settings after the "repair" procedure is completed.

And yeah...I know there are also risks with any program even if it's downloaded first and then used, but making such simple tools "online-only" when it doesn't have to be...sends up a flag in my twisted brain. You can't scan/analyze the program in advance so you're going into it completely blind.

Justin I'Onn Jan 10, 2011, 11:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The content on the USB stick was irretrievable, after I'd tried (unsuccessfully) to do a Low Level Format a few times. The link to the software I posted, is to the website of a reputable tech manufacturer.

john albrich Jan 10, 2011, 12:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

And that's why my reminder clearly stated it was for the general case, and not directed at a specific company.

The reminder is the same whether it's for this limited online application, or a website that uses an online application that promises to:

speed up your computer
scans for viruses
check and update all your drivers
cleanup your registry
securely backup your data
etc

By the way, history shows us that "reputable" companies have their share of security breaches, both internal and external, that can compromise your data.

mahesh nippani Feb 24, 2011, 01:50pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi
i am using Zebronics Thindrive 4gb pendrive,when i plugin to system it shows the disk is write proteced,it doesnt possible to copy and delete the files
i am using windows7 ultimate software
so can u say the procedure to remove the write protection

thanking u

Dave Brown Mar 23, 2011, 11:23am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
the best and fastest way to correct this issue is to go into device manager, locate the selected usb flash drive, then open the properties of the drive, there you will see tabs at the top of the properties window, choose the tab that says policites, and select better performance, if the selection is on for fast removal this is the cause of your issue, just make sure it on better performance!
best of luck to you, oh and remember, when removing the drive, make sure u choose to safefly remove hardware or u can damage the data on the drive

D.Brown

avinash raj May 13, 2011, 05:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
goto start -> Run -> and type "regedit"

follow this path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevicePolicies

In the right window u can see information just click on it and change the value in the "Write Protection Field " Set that value to "0" and restart the system and connect the pendrive or USB now u can format that or copy the data

Thank you

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.