Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 4245 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 21 - 11:31am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, Next >>
Davem Dec 11, 2005, 07:47pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ
I have an strange problem with the "resume from standby" function on my system. I have the ACPI Suspend function set to S3 and have the Wake from PS/2 keyboard function set to <spacebar> Here is what is occuring:

* The system starts and shuts down using the power switch on the computer and the Windows shut down item on the start menu with no problems.
* The computer also starts up with 100% reliability if I press the <spacebar> key on the keyboard.
* If I put the computer into sleep mode using the start menu or the sleep key on my keyboard it will enter sleep mode 100% of the time.
* If I try to wake the system back out of sleep mode is a short period of time following putting it to sleep (Like in less that 4 minutes) the computer will reliability wake up usng the <spacebar> key or the power button on the computer case.
* But if I leave the computer in standby mode for more than 4 minutes, the system will not wake using the <spacebar> key or any other key on the keyboard. The only way that it will wake is to use the power button on the case. Using the power button, though, will reliably wake the sysem and it don't have any system freeze problems.

I currently have a microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse connected to he computer but if I switch back to a standard keyboard and mouse the same problem occurs. (Note: When I switch back, I haven't uninstalled the wireless drivers so this may not be a 100% accurate test.

My case is not located in a spot where I can easily reach the power button so I would like to come up with a method of being able to start / shutdown and use the sleep mode entirely from the keyboard or mouse.
Therefore, I would appreciate any help that you guys can give my in troubleshooting this issue.

Dave Mayfield

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
mcq3000 mcq3000 Dec 12, 2005, 10:27pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok I got 3 PCs with Asus A8N SLI Premiun motherboards and they all run flawlessly. However I would like to run one of my harddrives on the RED silicon serial ata ports instead of the BLACK Nforce 4 SATA ports. However no matter what serial ata drive on each of my pcs the boot screen for the silicon drive shows the drive as detected but right under says something like "non valide device" and then once that screen closes the PC refuses to boot. Once I unplug the drive from the PC and soft reset it boots like normal. Anyone know what is going on? I would really like to use these ports but I cannot even get my PC to boot when any serial ata drive is plugged into the serial ata ports of the silicon siil controller. Help guys!

Marcus Wells Dec 19, 2005, 03:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wow...much to read about concerning this mobo.. Because I am anticipating one of these for Christmas I had questions concerning what memory and bios I should have and install on this board.

here is my set up minus the board...(please any suggestions will be well appreciated)

AMD X2 4400
XFX 7800GTX SLi
OCZ 1GB 184-Pin DDR. OCZ4001024PF(gold) ----is this going to be a problem?? (-_-')
Seagate Barracuda (2) 80GB
A8N-SLi - (Getting for Christmas)----what Bios should I install

Ok there it goes..help please...

Marcus

Marcus Wells Dec 19, 2005, 03:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Forgot to mention I am getting the Premium version of this mobo so the above questions concern this board specifically...

Thanks again

marcus

John Williamson Dec 19, 2005, 04:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You missed one important thing. You need a REALLY good power supply for these boards.
I use a Tagan 580 watt one because it works! Not cheap though. Dont be tempted to save here!

And 1 Gig memory isnt much nowadays. I would get 2 gb, (one per channel) minimum - 32 bit.. And if you plan to run the 64bit version of XP (and you should!) then 4 gb is better still because it uses it. As far as the memory goes I dont know if that make works well or not. Its difficult to get 4 gig to work according to some, but Corsair 4x 1gb (two sets of twinX 2GB) DOES work properly. And 6 big serial ata2 Hard disks. Stock oem fan.

My 4400 x2 is running totally stable 24/7 with 4gb memory at 2500 (2200 stock) and with a faster memory bus of 237 x 10.5 at stock voltages. It will go much faster (2.7 at a push) but I value total stability! It runs two instances of prime 95 24 hours without errors.

Bios 1007 - never been reason to change it. Not a single blue screen or problem with this board.

Marcus Wells Dec 19, 2005, 05:08pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The Powersupply I had in mind was a Thermal....480. Are you implying that this would not be sufficient enough?...Please let me kno i still got the receipt..haha also I appreciate that ...Bios 1007 it is..as far as the Memory I am still concerned. Your suggesting Twin Dual Channel Ram but the ones you suggested, are they gauranteed to recognize each other..I have read earlier that sometimes it's a hit or miss when doing this.

Marcus Wells Dec 19, 2005, 05:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Man I keep on missing stuff...ok the BIOS you suggested, this will eliminate that T1 problem people are dreading about in Forumns across the internet, given the board accepts my OCZ ram, correct?

John Williamson Dec 19, 2005, 07:00pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
There is more to power supplies than the number of total wats. Like voltage/ripple stability on different rails, as well as different amps available on the -12 -5 +5 +12 etc. And the correct plugs and satuff for these modern boards. There are very few that are really suitable. Most will "work" but not be ideal or stable. Especially if overclocked.

As for bios, just go with 1007 or later, whatever it comes with > than or 1007

As for the memory at 1 rather than 2 then I think its a controller issue (on chip!) so if using 4 gb or 4 sticks then you have no choice! Dont worry though because its not that much different. And this chip / board is fast!

John Williamson Dec 19, 2005, 07:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thats watts by the way...

Marcus Wells Dec 19, 2005, 08:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Asus also has the A8N32-SLi...is this mobo really that significantly better?

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=179&type=expert&pid=10

This site suggests that the Premium model is a few frames under the new A832-SLi model. Is this reliable?

Danny Webster Dec 22, 2005, 03:43am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 22, 2005, 04:38am EST

Put together new system last night: -

Asus A8N SLi Premium
3700+ 64bit AMD
1gb (512 x 2) Corsair XMS Pro TwinX
XFX 6800 GS XXX 256 PCi-e SLi
Audigy 4
Akasa 460w PSU

Plugged everything and powered up, all fans work, mobo lights are on, ram lite up... and I get no display!!! Please somebody know the secret formula.

Matt Prewitt Dec 22, 2005, 09:26am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
mcq3000:
The RED slots are RAID slots. And I think that you need two of the same HDs to set up a RAID configuration. Does that help you any?

John Williamson Dec 22, 2005, 10:41am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
All the slots, red included can be used for a raid array, or for stand alone drives. Red is the Silicon controller rather than the Nvidia one. In any case you should get vid with NOTHING plugged in to those slots! Not related!

CY L Dec 23, 2005, 03:46pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I recently bought the A8N-SLI Premium for my first build, and I'm also experiencing the 'no beep, no POST, no display' problem. I'm using AMD X2 3800+ CPU, Enermax 535W All-in-One PSU, Corsair VS 1GB RAM, and eVGA nVidia 6800GS. All the fans and LEDs work fine but that's it. I take out everything, and with the m/b connected to the PSU, I get the "No CPU installed" message. I add in the CPU, and nothing happens. So is the CPU or the m/b faulty? I should mention that when I was removing the heatsink that the CPU was pulled out with it. But all the pins are there and none are bent as far as I can see. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

James Sanchez Dec 24, 2005, 09:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, I'm having a similar problem. I was in the process of installing the OS on my system and it powered off by itself. I attemped to restart and nothing just black screen and no beeps. I then removed all except the CPU and still no error notifcation at boot. Everything was installed correctly. I'm thinking about RMA and try another. Is this a bad board?

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 FX57 San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADAFX57BNBOX
ZALMAN CNPS7700-CU 120mm 2 Ball Cooling Fan with Copper Heatsink
Maxtor MaXLine Plus III 7L300S0 300GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
(2 each) eVGA 256-P2-N527-AX Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory
ENERMAX All in One Noisetaker Series EG701AX-VE SFMA(24P) ATX12V 600W Power Supply

Michel Ganna Dec 25, 2005, 07:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 25, 2005, 08:05pm EST

Ok here's what I have:

A+ iQ-Eye Case
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
AMD X2 4200+
1GB Kingston DDR400 RAM module (KVR400X64C3A/1G)
Asus 6600GT Extreme 256MB (waiting on second for SLI)
40GB IDE Maxtor Spare Drive (waiting for new 200GB sata II drive)
LiteOn DVD-ROM SOHD-16P9SV-02C
LiteOn DVD-RW SHW-16H5S-01C
Raptoxx Pro 1.3 550W PSU

Before building the system, I checked that all pieces were compatible to achieve result of having a full SLI machine. So with the partial hardware I started to do a clean XP install (bios version on mb was 1008). Since I installed quite everything from asus cd (bad idea IMO lol), I started to note "strange" PC behaviour: after I finish XP and whole drivers/software suite install I decided to try out World of Warcraft; install went withouth any problem, and I suppose patch too. I suppose because of "long" time of downloading and applying patch I decide to go in another room. After some minutes I heard the typical boot up beep, so as soon I came back to PC room, I saw that it restarted itself. I ran memtest86 and at 98% it started to give me memory errors; the ram, as stated in the manual, is fully compatible with the motherboard, so I suppose it's defective. I first upgraded the bios to the 1009 then I swap it with another RAM bank (same producer/model). I ran again memtest86 and this time no errors were reported. At this point I weren't aware about the NV FW problems, so without re-install XP I noticed other problems: when I was using onboard Nvidia ethernet adapter, most of the downloads I were doing, were corrupted... This wasn't happening with the other onboard one. I had also another strange issue that made Outlook 2003 (configured to connect to an Exchange server) always crashing on startup: disabling in Windows device manager one of the two LAN adapters.
To get PC running smoothly I made some little changes: with bios disabled LAN2 adapter, downloads are not corrupted anymore, OS is not rebooting, and games are also running well. I precise that I want to format and reinstall XP as soon as I will receive the last two items I need. (And of course, not install NV FW, NV IDE..)

Basically I wonder if my PSU can afford another 660GT; on 12V it provides max 18A, and in my A+ Case one 4-pol connector is "babysitting" 5 case fans + a 8cm LCD case display.

Edit*: forgot to add Merry Xmas to everyone ;)

Chris Jacobson Dec 25, 2005, 08:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Michel Ganna,

Your PSU is probably too weak for another card, and you may have issues with your setup as is if it gets to drawing a lot of power (graphics intensive games).

Timothy Toth Dec 25, 2005, 09:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
James S. and Michael G.
I had the same no post, no screen, no beep problem. I did all the standard troubleshooting and nothing worked. I was using a Thermal Take Purepower 500W power supply. I thought it would be big enough but it wasn't. As soon as I replaced it with a PC Power and Cooling Turbo 510W SLI my system booted right up and I haven't had a problem since.

The PC Power and Cooling was highly recommended by the original FAQ for the A8N-SLI Deluxe board and now I know why. I am now a true believer in the best power supply you can buy. I wouldn't RMA your board until you have tried a high quality power supply.

mduck mduck Dec 26, 2005, 04:50am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ - Sound trouble!

John Williamson Dec 26, 2005, 07:59am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Using a GOOD power supply 580 watt Tagan (which this board needs) and there is far more too it than watts!
A coolermaster alloy server case
The board of course!
A dual core 4400 CPU @ 2500 instead of 2200
4x sticks of Corsair memory (2x 2048 TwinX) 4GB Total @238 instead of 200
6 Maxtors / Seagate SATA2 drives (including a pair on raid 0 for boot drive)
DVD RW (Lightscribe Lite-on)
ASUS N660 graphics (good enough - I dont do games! Card reader, Floppy, fan controller, 21 inch trinitron tubed HP pro monitor (HP P1130)
32 and 64 bit XP Pro - dual bootable via bios, on different partitions.
Also, 2 printers (HP) and a scanner, wireless network etc..

TOTALLY stable running everything possible for 24 hours, including 2 instances of prime 95.

Sound is perfect in 64 bit. As is everything else actually, and it sees all 4gb memory, and uses lots of it! This is also faster booting, and "smoother" generally. 32 bit sees 3 gig, slower to get to the point where windows allows full response and less smooth in operation when doing lots of tasks..

Sound in 32 bit CAN sometimes crackle (fine in 64) with the drivers that came on the oem disk. Also perfect in 32 when the latest chipset drivers are used from asus website. 6.65 I think, bios 1007.

This board is the most stable that I have ever had the pleasure of using. It does however need the right combination of bios, drivers, bios setup, and GOOD memory and power supply. Its not a instant fit and forget "basic" board like the sort of people building cheap computers for the masses use.

It also overclocks really well. I have 15 percent on memory, with stock timings, and voltages. And 2200 to 2500 on CPU with stock voltages. Both will go further easily, but its fast cool and stable at these speeds which is plenty fast for me! Reliability and data integrity is far more important than the last 10 percent speed to me, I use this to earn a living!

This is the third one of these boards (all with different mem, drives, graphics I have built for people and every one was easy and works great. Seems that any problems people are having is driver/bios setup, or crappy power supply related! Enermax seems to be a problem for some! Tagan Works, so I will go with that for now.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.