Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1847 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 27 - 07:06pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, Next >>
FUZiON BOB Dec 27, 2005, 09:53pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> OC'ing Rig; What do you think?
Here is my planned setup. Parts are on the way.

Opteron 148
ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Patriot 1GB Model PDC1G3200+XBLK
Antec TRUEPOWERII 550W
Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2
Thermaltake VENUS 12
eVGA Geforce 6800GS 256MB

Upgraded from...

Athlon 2600+ (2.23G OC'd)
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe
Patriot 1GB 3200 unknown model...3-4-4-8
5th power supply is generic but stable 480W
Swiftech MCX-462 HS (im gonna miss it) W/ 92mm Vantec 4800 RPM 119 CFM Fan (not gonna miss that)
2 160GB Deathstars in RAID 0 (hope they last till the parts come in)

I plan on obtaining 3 more of these hard drives for a RAID array. I also plan on getting a Coolermaster Aquagate if the TT Venus doesn't work out. I had a <$1k budget so the PS is great but not very expensive. The RAM is supposed to be very flexible for overclocking. I play some games but mostly I want to do video encoding and photoshop and such... This is mostly a toy... just don't tell the IRS cause its a 100% Business Use Server.

FUZiON

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
<a class= Dec 29, 2005, 03:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ
I can't get the memory to run at its native speed. Its PC-4000 so 250mhz, I set the HTT to 4x, multiplier to 11, mem voltage to 3.0, CPU voltage to 1.4, FSB to 250, pci-e to 100, pci to 33, and it won't do anything. Stuoid board shows the ram as 400mhz all the time, so does the cpu-z. What am I doing wrong?

Mark Nazarewicz Dec 29, 2005, 09:53pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 29, 2005, 10:33pm EST

>> Re: Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ -CRASHES ON XP LOAD SCREEN
Ok well i just started to setup my new comp with this mobo and has been nothing but problems..here is my current problem....after i installed the drivers for my video card,it wont boot, it just gets to the Xp screen and loads and loads and loads until it finally just crashes...it worked perfectly fine before i installed the vid drivers..could it be the fact that my psu has a 20 pin connector not a 24? its a 500W aspire...well here are my specs hope u can help...

Asus a8n SLI premium
Athon 64 3500+ venice
1 Gig Corsair Twinx XMS pc3200C2 2x512
eVGA 7800 GT CO
Maxtor Diamondmax SATA 100gig

<a class= Dec 30, 2005, 04:09am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
RTFM. It says there that if your PSU doesn't have the 24-pin connector, make sure you plug one of the 3.3V ones into Asus EZ_Slot, its right above the blue PCI-E 16x slot. And if it won't fix anything, make sure you're not overclocking, start up in safemode. If it boots up in the safe mode, try uninstalling the videocard drivers if you believe them to be the problem.

Colin Howell Jan 04, 2006, 02:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Guys

Anyone got any ideas with a single disk issue I have with my new kit - I've checked through these forums tirelessly and can see various positing which I wish I had seen before buying my mobo - DOH!

I have used Asus's beta offering for my board (1011), but, as it makes no difference to my problem, so I've reverted back to 1009 final.

I have tried, with much despondency, all kinds of actions to try and get XP to see my single, non-raid disks and it just doesn't - I think I have reset my bios and started from scratch.... but various posting have different ideas on how to reset the bios, so maybe for me (who is fast losing confidence in his pc building skills), would someone kindly explain how to reset properly.

I've logged an email with ASUS, who have not yet come back to me, but it looks (sadly) like I'll be RMA'ing my board back to my supplier - my question now is, should I go for another A8N-SLI board or try another maker.. :-)

I'm using the Maxtor Diamondmax 10 SATA2 disk, which has a pin option to demote the disk to SATA1 - I've seen issues amongst the foum posting with the NCQ side of things with this disk/mobo, but I understaood that this was more with the Diamondmax9 disks and can be sorted within XP device management??- the chance would be a fine thing :)

Using the nVidia chip (black), which supports SATA2 - my disk is identified as SATA_1 Master in the bios - yet the XP setup hangs on scanning the atapibus, immediately after hitting return to start the setup . Enable the NVRAID (SiI3114 disabled) and build JBOD raid, F6 to load my 3rd party driver....then all is OK

Using the SiI3114 (red), which supports SATA1, my disk does not even get identified in the bios and at the same point in the XP setup process, I get the error "XP can not find any disks". Enable SiI3114 (nvraid disabled!), build the raid JBOD, F6 at XP install start to include the drivers and same again... all is OK.

I've tested all kinds of configuration with this board and even F6'd and loaded the 3rd party drivers when there is no need to (for a single disk) - if using the nVidia controller the system hangs exactly the same point , but this time durring the scanning of the nvatabus (not atapi) - If I use the SiI3114 driver, then the XP setup still errors with the "can not find any disks" message.

I've checked, double-checked and re-checked again my details in the manuals and FAQ's and I'm positive I have my BIOS, DISKS and cabling setup correctly. I just don't understand why the system has such a problem seeing the disk outside of raid, yet sees them fine inside raid. - All very strange.

As an aside, I have the AMD x2 4400 cpu, Corsair (asus approved) memory (tested in Single and dual role) and memtest86+'d it to death with no errors -I've even used different memory from a stable working PC - I'm using a top notch seasonics s12-600 psu, xfx6600gt asus approved graphic card in bios single-card mode. The Bios has been tested with default setting (raid options disabled) and is currently set as per Sanders intial post in the A8N-SLI Delux thread, yet still the same problem.

Any ideas ??

Thanks
Colin

<a class= Jan 04, 2006, 03:20am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Whats your prob again?

Colin Howell Jan 04, 2006, 03:57am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sovietdoc - was that for me?

If so, basically I am trying to install XP (32 or 64, but 32 preferable at the mo!) on a single SATA disk, without raid.

My problem is that I can't get my system to do that due to the fact that
1) if I use the nVidia controller (albeit the bios recognises my disk as SATA_1 Master), the XP process hangs after hitting the return key to initiate the setup with the status message "Examing disk...on the atapibus"

2) If I use the SiI3114 controller, then apart from the disk not being listed in the bios, the XP install process halts with the message "unable to find hard disk to istall"

I've tried an array of bios combinations, F6 driver (non-)inclusions and nothing seems to work apart from when I elect to set up raid on either of the controllers, only then are my disks (moreso the raid config) seen by the XP setup proecess.

My understanding is that I should be able to configure the system using SATA drives simply plugged into any of the sata offerings, as is, no raid?

Rgrds
Colin

John Williamson Jan 04, 2006, 05:26am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
use the nvidia black connectors. YOU DID press F6 during setup and install the drivers?

Colin Howell Jan 04, 2006, 08:33am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
John

Just to re-iterate... I've tried an array of bios combinations, F6 driver (non-)inclusions and nothing seems to work apart from when I elect to set up raid on either of the controllers, only then are my disks (moreso the raid config) seen by the XP setup proecess.

To answer your question, yep - used both nVidia and SiI3114 - just to clarify these are just some of the tests I've done on a single standalone SATA2 disk

SATA2 disk in SATA2 mode plugged into nVidia controller SATA_1 slot
nVidia disabled - SiI3114 disabled - no F6 - system hung at atapibus scan
nVidia disabled - SiI3114 disabled - F6 added nVidia storage driver - system hung at ATAPIbus scan
nVidia enabed - SiI3114 disabled - no F6 - system hung at atapibus scan
nVidia enabled - SiI3114 disabled - F6 added nVidia storage driver - system hung at NVATAbus scan

SATA2 disk in SATA1 mode plugged into SiI3114 controller SATA_1 slot
nVidia disabled - SiI3114 enabled - no F6 - system reports no disks during XP setup
nVidia disabled - SiI3114 disabled - F6 added SiI3114 storage driver - system reports no disks during XP setup

I've tried these test in various SATA_x slots on the 2 controllers - same result

Rgrds
Colin

Colin Howell Jan 04, 2006, 08:35am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
John

Just to re-iterate... I've tried an array of bios combinations, F6 driver (non-)inclusions and nothing seems to work apart from when I elect to set up raid on either of the controllers, only then are my disks (moreso the raid config) seen by the XP setup proecess.

To answer your question, yep - used both nVidia and SiI3114 - just to clarify these are just some of the tests I've done on a single standalone SATA2 disk

nVidia disabled - SiI3114 disabled - F6 added nVidia storage driver - system hung at ATAPIbus scan
nVidia enabled - SiI3114 disabled - F6 added nVidia storage driver - system hung at NVATAbus scan

nVidia disabled - SiI3114 enabled - no F6 - system reports no disks during XP setup
nVidia disabled - SiI3114 disabled - F6 added SiI3114 storage driver - system reports no disks during XP setup

I've tried these test in various SATA_x slots on the 2 controllers - same result

Rgrds
Colin

Colin Howell Jan 04, 2006, 08:35am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
John

Rgrds
Colin

Colin Howell Jan 04, 2006, 08:41am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
John

Rgrds
Colin

John Williamson Jan 04, 2006, 03:45pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well I have 6 of those maxtors.
Bios 1007 Tagan 580 power supply I have 6 serial ATA2 drives including 4 maxtors, with NCQ enabled.
Using nvidia 6.65 and 6.66 chipset drivers and both 32 and 64 bit XP Pro, as well as server 2003 all bootable from bios on seperate drives.

4 gig Corsair mem, 4400 X2 CPU, plus the usual graphics, DVD writer, card readers, printers, scanner, wireless network, wireless mouse, key etc.

All installed dead easy, runs 24/7 faultlessly with no blue screens ever so far, errors, data corruption, or anything else. Its THE most stable and easy to set up board I ever had.

Its my workstation, server, and multimedia PC all in one and really earns its living. And its clocked at 10.5 x 238 giving 2500 (ish) which is faster than the 4800+ x2 by a good margin. It runs two instances of prime 24 hours without error, is on stock voltages for cpu/chipset/memory + 1 increment all round.

So you either have a faulty component, or you are doing something really stupid! Dont be too fast to blame the motherboard. Chances are its fine! You have a bios setting, cable, driver, jumper or something set wrong???

Scan told me that 80 percent of motherboards RMAd are actually fine!

<a class= Jan 05, 2006, 12:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I wonder if anyone is still reading this post. Anyways, I got A8N-SLI Premium (duh) bios 1011 or something (the latest beta), my 4 sticks of 512 PC-4000 from GEIL only run at 466mhz. WTF I can't bring it up to 500, because apparently, with this mobo you cant set the clocks on the memory and cpu at the same time. If I force set my ram to PC-4000 (500mhz) my windows won't load crashing with a blue screen. If I set the CPU fsb to 250 (x2 = 500mhz) my ram will only run at 466mhz. How do I fix this? I take two sticks out my bandwidth in sandra is over 8gigs, I put another two sticks in, its not going any gigher 5.5 gigs! OMFG.. HELP

Colin Howell Jan 05, 2006, 03:49am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi John

Well cheers for that, that's put the cat amongst the pigeons! :-)

A posting of mine on another thread, brought back some feedback from an issue with the maxtor disks and how that particular person (after sustained emailing with Maxtor) had been sent a firmware update for the disk, which apart from seemingly being a tough process to follow, it actually sorted his problem out.

I had just made up my mind that maybe the motherboard wasn't to blame, to scan the maxtor site for a firmware update and to puchase a SATA1 disk from another manufacturer in order to rule out maxtors, when I saw your posting :-)

I'm really at a loss as to identify where the problem lies - I've completely reset the bios and flashed with 1009 again - loaded the defaults, turned off NVRAID and SiI3114 controller, there is little more to do than that and the problem of XP setup not seeing the disks is evident - further to that, I've
1) gone through the bios pretty meticulously and disabled the likes of all parallel/sound/game ports etc anything that could be conflicting with the atapibus and still the problem.
2) setup the bios as per the opening Sanders suggestion in the A8NSLIdelux forum and still the problem

There is nothing really in the way of pins/jumpers to set wrong, I've certainly not moved any jumpers (apart from the bios reset) since I've had the board.

I can see that quite a few people suffer from strange occurences when they are not properly PSU'd, but I have just bought a Seasonics S12-600(watt), which gets glowing reviews across the web, which I struggle to believe could be a factor in my problem. Rock solid at voltages, even under sustained loadings.

If you plug your maxtor drive into the SiI3114 controller, does your bios see it as a SATA Master?? - I can see there are only four offerings in the Bios for listing SATA Masters, so I'm just guessing that the Sill3114 drives do not appear in the bios??

Regards
Colin

Colin Howell Jan 05, 2006, 03:56am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sovietdoc

Unless I've misread your comment..... Apologies if your think my problem is hogging the forum... :-(

It's a big problem for me after spending so much of my hard earned cash - maybe I should have bought off the shelf and foregone the building experience.

Rgrds
Colin

<a class= Jan 05, 2006, 04:15am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Colin......what? Oooook. ;)

John Williamson Jan 05, 2006, 07:08am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The BIOS sees all of them, and now a pair of seagate sata2 drives as well.

I never flashed the bios on any of my drives, or even the motherboard. It justy sees them all and works fine!

<a class= Jan 05, 2006, 06:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Anyways, how can I make my PC-4000 run at the full speed? I am using 4x512 and the reported speed on them is 466mhz instead of 500.

John Williamson Jan 05, 2006, 06:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am not sure the board supports 500? If it does maybe its the chip? Because the memory controller in on chip.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.