Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 2904 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 27 - 04:41pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, Next >>
Colin Howell Jan 06, 2006, 03:09am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ
Guys

I'm not going to go into the long story again of how my mobo is so hit and miss with my drives. I'm about to rma the board as I convinced there is a problem with it - I'm a total newbie at overclocking and maybe that is an area where I would like to experiment, but at the moment I'd be more than happy just to get all my kit singing.

I suppose my loyalty to the Asus brand is making me have one last ditch attempt here :-)

John, you mentioned in your last post, that your bios sees all your sata drives, even those you have in the Si controller - where do they get listed??? - I can see the 4 SATA_x MASTERs on the main screen, but seeing as there are only 4 possibles displayed, do these not equate to the nVidia Sata drives??

I've had an array of problems not getting my disks talking with the system (as of last night, it now struggles to even see the disk in the bios!... and yep, I've checked and double-checked the cables/connections) - They are Maxtor Diamondmax10 SATA2 - I've read all the past reports on how the Maxtors/nVidia combination is flaky, so I went out yesterday and bought a bog standard Western Digital Caviar SATA1 no ncq - which was seen in the bios, but when the XP setup starts, I got the usual " Examining.. Disk 0 on ID 0 on the atapibus" and it froze.

Can anyone spot what is wrong with any of this kit that I've got in so far as compatibility?? - I've tried in vain to keep an eye on these forums (and others) to see what might be causing me problems - I'm really cheesed of with this Asus board - and I've used Asus boards pretty much all the way through. So can anyone please recommend a good alternative board, that's nowhere near as picky!?

Bios has been reset and flashed to 1009 and is setup as per default load options - ALL NVRAID and Si Controller have been further DISABLED - I don't know enough about memory to play with setting, so sticking with the defaults. Disabled unwanted ports (parallet/serial/Firewire/game/midi etc) - SLI set in Single Card mode.

Seasonics S12-600watt PSU - rock solid voltages even under extreme loading
Standard Corsair DDR400 memory - memtest86+'d for 5 hours - no errors!
WDC SATA1 250gb H/Drive (was Maxtor Diamondmax10 SATA2)
XFX 6600GT graphics card (asus approved)
AMD x2 4400 CPU

As far as I can tell.... no shorts - have resat the mobo on the spacers twice now.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong? your help is eternally grateful.

Rgrds
Colin

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
sam caspian Jan 06, 2006, 04:00am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i have this board too and i think it is a great board,but it sounds like you have a problem with yours.
i have a maxtor d max9 as master 1 and hitachi as master 2,i have used raid 0 on mine and as now
2 separate drives on nv sata(not raided) it works fine.i have tried 1006,1007,1008,1009 bios's all no probs at all and if you check below its even clocked.i definatley think its the board.if you get one that works its a GREAT board.mine has been a rock.sorry about you probs but dont think its a crap boad becoz off that.rma it.

a64 3000+@2506mhz-278htt/fsb
asus a8n sli pre ver 1.02 bios 1008
2x512mb ddr@227mhz
xvision 6600gt@600core-1.08mem
2x120 gig sata on nv sata 1+2,maxtor dmax9,hitachi
audigy2 zs
2xnec 3540 dvd/rw both master on own ide channel(on the fly+disc to disc works better)
watercooled cpu/gpu-asetek antarctica cpu block,asetek gpu block,swiftech mcp350 pump,swiftech 120mm rad,cape coolplex25 reservoir.
hope you get it sorted :-)

John Williamson Jan 06, 2006, 08:03am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> John, you mentioned in your last post, that your bios sees all your sata drives, even those you have in the Si controller - where do they get listed??? - I can see the 4 SATA_x MASTERs on the main screen, but seeing as there are only 4 possibles displayed, do these not equate to the nVidia Sata drives??

It displays all on the boot screens.

But forget the silicon controller because its tied to the bus as an "add on" rather than being part of the chipset and is less efficient And it does not support NCQ or serial ATA2 so its only of use when you need to add extra drives when your nvidia controller is all used up!

I know you have raid disabled but you dont have the nvidia contollers disabled too by any chance?
And you do have the hard disks power lead plugged in?
And you are using the drivers from a floppy when installing windows?
And you tried a 98 boot disk to see if that can see your drives and install/partition them?

If so and no go you have a faulty board.

robert mcmullan Jan 07, 2006, 11:55am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 07, 2006, 11:56am EST

hi can anyone tell me if the jantech atx 12v 24 pin 400w power supply is any good to this board

Colin Howell Jan 09, 2006, 10:47am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
John

Thanks for the info - it maybe a cop out, but I just got so fed up with the SLI-Premium board, that I've returned it and replaced it with a crossfire solution A8R-MVP - which I have to say, came straight of the box recognising the dual core CPU, so I've not flashed the bios with teh latest version - I configured all the same parts in the new board, installed XP and was up with my system working inside 4 hours - the joy of it!!

On the SLI-premium - The red Si sata controller recognised my disk (albiet it deemed it as "no valid device" as the raid software glanced over the standalone disk?), but XP setup just said "no hard disk found". When I plugged my disk (either Maxtor or WDCaviar) into the nVidia controller, sometimes it would see the disk, sometimes not.

At this point I was considering swapping it out for likewise board, but after reading so many posting regarding issues with this board - and then finding this forum site ( http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t8171-0.html ) - I decide to go for the crossfire solution, which at least did work out of the box and so far, so good on the stablillity side.

If anyone is intersted in the crossfire board, then do a google search for some reviews on it, most of them say it's a pretty decent board with some of the best overclocking potential going - this is an area which I would like to understand more off - but would be very wary and have a massive lack of confidence if I attempted to do it on the SLI-Premium.

I know there will be a lot of SLI-premium afficiados who will think I've done wrong in changing my tactics, but at least I now have some faith in my expensive box of tricks.

Regards
Colin

Joel S Jan 10, 2006, 11:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just got new Asus A8N-SLI Premium board...
along with AMD x2 4200+
Antec Titan 550 case, 550w power supply

I hooked everything up and got no beep, no post.

I disconnected everything and took out everything including memory and cpu... started it up and got voice message alerting me that no CPU detected. Good I thought. I re-installed CPU and heatsink.
I assumed that next I'd hear audio that there was no memory installed... but instead I get silence. No beep, no nothing. Power is working on board, fans are running but that's it.

Can I assume from this that the processor is bad?
Or is it the motherboard that is bad...?

Not sure what to try next or which part to return... (?)

Any help/thoughts are appreciated,

Joel

sam caspian Jan 11, 2006, 05:21am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hello,
could you possibly try a different chip in your board?,and your chip in another board?.At least then you'll know if its the chip or board.other than that i'm sorry but i dont know.

ZAiNT Zzz Jan 12, 2006, 10:14pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Which audio drivers should I install? And what are the differences between these three? Why so many different versions and bundles? It's very confusing. If you got a good link with some info about this please post it. Thanks. /Z

1. Asus website: Realtek ALC850 Driver V5.10.0.5870 for Windows 2000/XP(WHQL)/2003 and Windows 64bit XP(WHQL)/2003 http://dlsvr02.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/audio/ALC850/ALC850_V5870_WHQL.zip
2. Realtek website: version A3.81 ftp://152.104.238.194/pc/ac97/alc650/WDM_A381.exe
3. Nvidia website: nForce4 AMD Edition - Windows XP/2000 (32-Bit) Version: 6.70 from http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_amd_6.70.html

Joel S Jan 13, 2006, 03:47am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I figured out my problem...

turned out that the posts on an I/O plate in my case was touching the board.
Once I removed this plate... everything booted up!

Thought I'd mention it just in case it helps someone else.

Chris Johnson Jan 19, 2006, 02:35pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 19, 2006, 02:36pm EST

I too am having troubles getting XP install to recognize my Maxtor SATA2 drive. Very similar to Colin's problems. Did he ever figure it out?

Yesterday I received the following components from Newegg to build a new gaming rig (listed all for completeness):

* Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000BWA Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
* eVGA 256-P2-N515-AX Geforce 7800GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Desktop PC - Retail
* ASPIRE ATX-CW500WP4 ATX 500W Power Supply - Retail
* AMD Athlon 64 3500+ Venice 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3500BPBOX - Retail
* pqi TURBO 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered System Memory Model PQI3200-2048DB - Retail
* Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6V250F0 250GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
* ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Assembled, and it POSTs fine. BIOS recognizes HDD, memory fine. Set bios to boot from CD first, and insert Windows XP install CD. Note: this valid/official XP install CD is the one that was originally used in the rig that I'm replacing, and as such was from ~2002, so no Service Packs included.

It shows me the EULA, and asks to format the drive/partition. It only shows 137Gb, but ok I think that's because the XP doesn't have SP2, which I believe fixed that. I tell it to format, and it progresses OK.

It reboots again, POSTs OK, then up comes the Windows XP load screen. The progress indicator is moving, but it just sits there, never getting past that point in the install.

Do I need to update my Maxtor drivers? Unfortunately I did not check my mobo BIOS version, but I will do that tonite. Since I just got the mobo, it should be recent, right? Can I update the maxtor drivers somehow before XP is installed? Can I change the jumpers on the Maxtor drive to the 1.5Gb speed to get XP installed, then step it up afterwards?

At one point when trying different options in the XP install, I did get it to get stuck on that "Examining.. Disk 0 on ID 0 on the atapibus" message once.

My HDD is plugged into the first black SATA plug on the Premium mobo. I've tried the other black plugs with no joy.

Does anyone know what I could try to get this working?

Chris Johnson Jan 19, 2006, 04:50pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
A quick update to my situation... I have located the MaxBlast4 and PowerMax utilities over at the Maxtor site, and have created boot CDs of each. I will boot with them tonite to see if I can get any further on this. Maybe if I format it using MaxBlast4 first, then XP will be happier about the SATA drive.

Chris Johnson Jan 20, 2006, 10:30am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
One more update. I switched the jumper on the back of the Maxtor drive to SATA1 (1.5Gb/s), and everything works now. Windows installed, I patched to SP2 and beyond, everything runs great. It's not ideal, and I have a tech report in to Maxtor about it, but everything works now just fine. Allegedly there is a firmware update to the drive that will allow SATA2... we'll see what Maxtor says. Everything stays nice and cool too, I think the highest I saw the chip temp was 42C.

I ran BF2 last night at max graphic details and it was so smooth I think I wet myself.

Ian Scott Jan 26, 2006, 02:05pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 26, 2006, 02:06pm EST

I'm also having massive problems with my Premium board.

I used to have the Deluxe board running off a SATA150 Maxtor DiamondMax10 Harddisc, but the noise from the chipset fan was too much so I bought the deluxe. I simply swapped boards over and the harddisc went onto the blank nforce sata port 0. Which worked fine for months...

However, I've just been doing some upgrading again, new PSU (Yesiko FL480ATX(T) 480W Silent PSU) and bought a new Maxtor DiamondMax SATA300 harddisc. Both installed at the same time.

I installed the harddisc in pc, used same sata data lead plugged into same port on mobo but windows just would not install properly at all, it would install the DOS part of windows fine, but then on reboot hang on the Windows is loading screen...

I then tried installing on the red Silicon Image port 0, which crashed at the same point. At that point I put a post up on the asus forum and someone suggested using port 2 on the silicon image controller. I'm using a custom built windows xp pro sp2 with all driverpacks so as not to need to F6 (as I don't have a floppy drive)

Anyway, windows has gone on and is working fine(ish). The only problem I have is burning DVDs, and i've tried 3 seperate dvd writers! Pioneer 110D, Liteon 1963S and NEC 4551 all have same problem.

I've got latest Nero 6.6.0.18 and latest DVD Decryptor installed on my pc for burning dvds. Both crash, although I have had some success with DVD Decryptor.

It will be burning away and then just stop, nero doesn't give me any option to close, it won't quit and the system won't shut down, I have no option but to hold power until pc swicthes off.

DVD Decryptor will eventually time out and quit, but it leaves me a with a dead disc.

Now I would like to know why windows won't install on any other port but the one its on? And also why burning discs just stop burning?

Do I have a faulty mobo?

Does anyone know if I can swap the heatpipe over from the Premium to the deluxe as i'd happily swap them over and just use the deluxe.

PC Spec:

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (1011-001 BIOS)
X2 3800+ CPU
Zalman CPU cooler
2 x 1 GB Crucial 3200 DDR RAM
Yesico FL480ATX(T) 480W PSU
Toshiba 1712 DVD-ROM
NEC 4551 DVD-writer
GeForce 6200 Graphics card
Dell 2405 TFT

Marshall Simpson Feb 01, 2006, 02:20am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 01, 2006, 02:23am EST

I purchased this mobo on ASUS reputaion and reviews. Not much luck getting any reasonable support from ASUS. All the latest drivers from both nVidia and ASUS ran ASUS BIOS Update program CPU-Z (says BIOS 1008). CPU 4400+ X2
1. nVidia LAN port does not work.
2. nTune will not work. Loads but will not optimize my system.
3. AI Booster states FSB at 800 Mhz no matter what settings I set in the BIOS (Does this work?)
4. Nvidia firewall is not even recognized! Not so worried about this after reading reviews that it does not work anyway.
5. Purchased latest Corsair Memory TWINX2048-4000PT rated at DDR500 never can get it to agree with the mobo that it is DDR500
6. If I let the BIOS Auto-Select everything, the system basically runs about as fast as my ATH64 3200+ (my other system) Spent big bucks to get a prime machine for BF2 and FEAR what a waste so far.

I would really appreciate any advice on how to spec this system manually in the BIOS to get at least factory specs out of the machine! Memory settings, CPU settings, etc. Overclocking in the future would be nice. Currently systems runs around 32C'

A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 4400+ X2
2 x Corsair XMS DDR500 Factory rated (3-4-4-8)
Antec P-180 Case
Thermaltake PurePower 680w
eVGA 7800 GT OC
3 x 120mm Case Fans/2 x80mm Fans on PSU/THERMALRIGHT SI-120 Panoflow 120mm Fan
2 x 160GB IDE HDs

Fred Moor Feb 05, 2006, 06:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am about to start my first build and very grateful to everyone here and on the other boards for all their advice in helping decide what to get.

I have the premium board, and bought an Athlon 64 3500 chip for it. The heatsink fan has what looks like a pad ready applied, and the (minimal) documentation says the pad is the preferred interface with the chip.

Elsewhere here I have heard people say when replacing HSF's, they have cleaned the surface with alcohol and a coffee filter and used paste to interface the chip and heatsink.

Is the AMD leaflet right about keeping the pad, or should I remove it and use the paste?

Gerritt Feb 06, 2006, 12:26am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Fred,
AMDs Official position on this is that you should only use the pad.
A PROPER usage of a high quality thermal paste (such as Artic Silver 5) will give you a better performance.
One of the biggest issues with pads is that you can't re-use them; so if you replace your heatsink you need a new pad....try to find them. Use a good paste in the proper manner (a huge number of postings on this site as well as others).

Good Luck!

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Gerritt Feb 06, 2006, 12:40am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Marshall,

I ran into a major disconnect on the NVidia LAN port and the NV FW. Came down to driver and SW revision disparities...I ended up reloading the system from scratch using the drivers and SW off the CD, then reinstalling the updates from the ASUS vs NVidia site.

The nTune, or ASUS AI boost will only work if you have the settings right in the BIOS. I prefer to set things in BIOS vs via software.

I am running the 1009 version of the BIOS and still have issues associated with DRAM speeds (I've got DDR PC 4800 Sticks). I've found that I can set the DDR to 400, then just modify the timings as well as the speed through other BIOS settings to get them very close to what is supposed to be the "DDR Rating". As far as I know the highest OFFICIAL DDR rating is 400, thus the possible disconnect.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Joe Lascari Feb 07, 2006, 07:55pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Raidmax 420W Power supply which I know is not all that great. I am running 5xSATA hard drives (2 independant, 3 running RAID0), 2xDVD-ROMs/DVD-RW, and an ATI Radeon X800 GTO video card. I am trying to do minor overclocking but I am concerned with my power situation. Even if I do the stock overclocking of 10% in the bios the system locks up about 5 - 10 minutes after booting into windows. I have also had the system lock up overclocking my video card frequencies. I plan to buy a new PSU within the next few months. What I want to know is should I be very concerned with keeping the current PSU for now or should I upgrade as soon as possible. My impression from this forum is that I should upgrade the PSU now. I am also having RAM issues but will run memmory tests and try different configurations before posting anything crazy about it. In everyone's opinion is it better to run 1GB RAM at the DDR400 or 1.5GB at the DDR333 that the board is letting me currently run them. The only game I am playing on this system is World of Warcraft. I have not checked the bios version but if needed I will look at it tonight. Keep in mind I am very knowledgable about computers and hardware but do not have much experience overclocking as I usually am more concerned with stability. I have not had any heat problems as the highest the CPU hit was 35C (31C idle)

Thanks for your help

System Setup:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Core
2x 512MB DDR400 CL2.5 Kingston Value RAM
2x 256MB DDR400 CL3 Kingston Value RAM
2x 40GB SATA150 Hard Drives
3x 80GB SATA300 Hard Drives
ATI Radeon X800 GTO 256MB
1x DVD-ROM, 1x DVD +/- RW
6x Case Fans (4 front by HDs, 2 back by CPU)

Fred Moor Feb 09, 2006, 03:24pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ
OK: Anally retentive first-timer about to start in the next week or so. I've read all the posts here and in the Deluxe pages (yes, really), and the manuals from all the hardware suppliers, and the setup advice from AMD and from the Windows XP Prof CD.

My system (if it works once I assemble the bits) will be basically
Premium board,
AMD 64 3500
2 x1 sticks Corsair TwinX 1024-3200C2PT
Power & Cooling PSU,
Gigabyte GV-RX80256D PCI express graphics card (silent and not for gaming)
2 WD Raptors (1 for o.s. and 1 for progs) for SATA1 connection No RAID
2 Maxtor DiamondMax 10s for volume data storage (1 for data & 1 for graphics) for SATA1 connection no RAID
2 Pioneer DVR-110D DVD/CD writers (hopefully via the IDE cable)
Saitek Eclipse USB keyboard and Logitech G5 laser mouse

The aim is comfort, future-proofing and stability, and at present I have no need for overclocking, SLI, networking, or a hardware firewall, but there will be a lot of external equipment connected in, (Nikon coolscan slide scanner, Umax scanner, digital camera, laser printer, mixer & amplifier, video camera etc). Main software will be graphics, web design, database and office stuff.

The (current) plan is:
Check the bios and flash if necessary (Board bought about 4 months ago).
Configure the motherboard with the memory, CPU/heatsink, graphics card and floppy drive.
Use a temporary non-USB keyboard and mouse and boot to BIOS and see if I get there.
Add one of the Raptors as C drive and one of the DVD Writers.
Check again that it all works together.
Set the BIOS according to Sanders instructions, save changes and reboot.
Install XP-Professional which so far as I can see installs SP2 as part of the operation from the CD.
Partition C drive as a single volume as part of this process, using NTFS file system.
Not install NVIDIA chipset drivers ver. 6.53 or NVIDIA Beta ForceWare drivers ver 71.89 WHQL- so far as I can see these aren't needed unless I'm looking to RAID (??)
Install Graphics card drivers.
Install remaining hardware & drivers one item at a time creating restore points after each successful install.
I know I might have some fun with the Maxtor drives and will cross that when I get there.

Finally sit back and enjoy loading the software. Anyone see any glaring pitfalls in my plan?

Beavis Khan Feb 09, 2006, 03:38pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 09, 2006, 03:41pm EST

Fred,

You definitely do want to install the nForce 4 chipset drivers. Latest version is 6.70 -- http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_amd_6.70.html. Do *not* install the networking management etc, as this is known to cause stability issues.

Edit - whoops, I looked up your GV-RX80256D video card and it is an ATI-based product, so do *not* install the Forceware drivers, they won't do any good. I am not very familiar with ATI's drivers, so I will let someone else provide guidance on the best drivers to use.

As a general rule, it is best to go with the latest drivers on nVidia's site rather than those that shipped on CD with your motherboard/vid card. Edit - I believe this would apply to ATI products as well.

Finally, I have heard lots of reports about incompatibilities between nForce4 boards (A8N-SLI series in particular) and Maxtor DiamondMax 10 hard drives. YMMV but if you haven't bought the drives yet I would seriously consider another brand.

Other than that, it looks like you have a thorough and well thought out plan. I used a fairly similar approach in my build a couple weeks ago (A8N-SLI Premium-based) and had great success. Good luck with it!

____
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong."

- H.L. Mencken

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.