Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 3323 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 21 - 11:10am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, Next >>
Fred Moor Feb 11, 2006, 04:00am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Feb 11, 2006, 04:03am EST

>> Re: Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ
Thanks!

Even though you might not know ATI so well, you've helped clarify something I was unsure of about the drivers, and I'm going to have to look into that in a bit more detail I guess.

I think your advice with the Maxtors was also right, but I got them in a fit of enthusuiasm early on. They might come up for sale yet ;-)) but I'll have a go and see if I can work around it. I noted a post in the "Deluxe" forum that said:

"ASHCRAPPER - listen up. I had a similar problem using BIOS 1007-003. This is NOT an ASUS or BIOS problem. I resolved it when after extensive reformatting and disk corruption I found out that the NFORCE 4 drivers - the latest ones cause disk corruption on the Asus board with MAXTOR hard disks. I have 1x300GB Maxtor SATA, and each time the utility would tell me that it was in perfect health, the drive worked perfectly on my other PC. When I installed the old Nforce 4 drivers from Feb 2005, as opposed to 27th March 2005, everything is working perfectly again.

SO WARNING TO EVERYONE - MAXTOR + ASUS Nforce 4 board + LATEST NFORCE 4 DRIVERS = DATA CORRUPTION"

I've reproduced that post here with due deference and credit to the author.

I'll report back from time to time and let you all know how well things are going. and whether I get my "Drivers license" or not ;-))

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Gerritt Feb 12, 2006, 06:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Fred,

In order to install XP you will have to generate the driver diskette (from the CD) with the drivers for the NVRAID chipset.
You will have to load both of the indicated drivers at the F6 prompt during setup.

Even though you are going to be running JBOD (Just a Bunch Of Disk) you will be running your request through the raid chipset, thus the drivers ARE both necessary.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Beavis Khan Feb 12, 2006, 09:11am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Gerritt, FWIW, I did not need additional drivers when using XP w/SP1 to install -- it picked up the NV SATA controller just fine (not in RAID mode).

____
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong."

- H.L. Mencken
Gerritt Feb 12, 2006, 08:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Beavis,

I had 3 drives connected.
2 Hitachi SATA2 HDDs and a Plextor DVD SATA drive connected.
Without the "F6" drivers, the XP load would continue but not load.

If you have just HDDs, or maybe just SATA vs SATA2 then it may work.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
Garrett Russell Feb 12, 2006, 09:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi,

does anyone know if they are going to make this 1011 into a final copy, and will they add more voltage options, i would like to get my 3700+ up to 3hz it's at 268X11 and for a while i was at 270 just a few mhz away from 3hz which is my goal

if anyone knows if they will be adding more voltage options it woudl be great,

and if anyone knows how to hack it so i can, or how to hack for more multipler options it woudl be great too email me at gap13g@yahoo.com

thanks,

garrett

<a class= Feb 12, 2006, 09:10pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
No doubt there will be no BIOS with voltage higher than 1.55 volts. Athlon 64 chipset specification does not allow more than 1.60 volts for the CPU (1.55v peaks at 1.60v) so there won't be a higher bios than 1.55volts which is the old 1007 or 1006 i forgot which, X2 CPU's (Bios 1009 and the latest beta) only allowed 1.50volts, which is even lower than 1.55 for single core CPU's.

Fred Moor Feb 19, 2006, 04:38pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Gerritt: I'm not planning to configure my 4 hard disks as "JBOD", but as separate, individual disks: one for the OS etc; one for my programmes; one for the data that my programmes produce; and one specifically for graphics storage (I have a lot). Over the years, I've found this arrangement makes data backup easier (as I can choose which individual disks I backup).

If I was configuring as JBOD, (so far as I can see), I *would* need to use the RAID facility (and thus the updated drivers) to do that, but it would only give me one disk visible to the system, with the os, programmes and data all saved to it, and copied (redundantly) to each of the others disks.

However, as I'm not planning to use any of the board's RAID facilities - (afaics) I won't need to have any RAID drivers installed, and thus I don't need to do the "F6 thingy" which (afaics) is only needed to install what ASUS describe as "a third party SCSI or RAID driver"

Hopefully with both the Silicon and NVidia RAID options disabled in the BIOS, Windows will just carry on loading if I don't press F6

Or have I missed something?

Johan Minnaar Feb 19, 2006, 05:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

4Qman Feb 19, 2006, 05:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
you should see the Deluxe section.

Then you will be classed Lucky.,lol

j leyer Feb 22, 2006, 09:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hardware:
AMD 3500
A8N sli-prem
2GB Ram
250 Maxtor Diamond 3.0GB/s

I encountered a problem during the installation of XP pro 64 bit I hit F6 to install the needed drivers. When i try to install either of the drivers it sais that the files are corrupt on the floppy disk. ive tried different floppy disks and no luck. so anyways i continue with the installation and it comes up with a hard drive error saying that installation is unable to continue. can the problem i have be fixed by flashing up to a better bios, or switching the jumpers on the 3.0 drive to 1.5 mode? btw please be gentle, i am a noob.

j leyer Feb 22, 2006, 09:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hardware:
AMD 3500
A8N sli-prem
2GB Ram
250 Maxtor Diamond 3.0GB/s

I encountered a problem during the installation of XP pro 64 bit I hit F6 to install the needed drivers. When i try to install either of the drivers it sais that the files are corrupt on the floppy disk. ive tried different floppy disks and no luck. so anyways i continue with the installation and it comes up with a hard drive error saying that installation is unable to continue. can the problem i have be fixed by flashing up to a better bios, or switching the jumpers on the 3.0 drive to 1.5 mode? btw please be gentle, i am a noob.

John Williamson Feb 22, 2006, 01:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Someone said: Trust me ..4 sticks = BIG TROUBLE!!!

Well i have 4 gig using 4 sticks and it runs and overclocks beautifully.
And it runs any mem test program like prime etc 24 hours without issues.

Shadow_Ops_Airman1 Feb 22, 2006, 02:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
listen most motherboards are having problems with single Density Ram which is Usually of 512MB or lower, when trying to create 2 gigs or whatever by occupying all 4 slots, solution to that is make sure to get double density ram.

AMD Athlon XP-M 2500+ (133x14= 1867MHz) (209x11= 2299MHz)
DFI LP NF2 Ultra-B (Hellfire 3EG Rev2)
Antec SX800, Neo HE 500, 4 Antec 8CM Fans
Thermalright SI-97 1 Antec Tricool 12CM Fan
CL SB XFi Xtreme Music
2x Barracuda HDs (250/400)
2x Samsung Write
Gerritt Feb 22, 2006, 10:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I can run stable with 4 sticks of OCZ Platinum 512M sticks.
I do have to use 2T and stretch the timings out to 2.5/4/4/10, but they do work.
I also have to switch down to DDR333.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
Gerritt Feb 22, 2006, 11:05pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Fred,
JBOD is just what you described, Just a Bunch of Drives....all descrete units.
The NVidia RAID Chipset is what you are attaching your drives to when you use the SATA2 connectors.
When I go into my Device manager I have both the parallel and "NVidia NForce4 Serial ATA Controller" listed with the following driver files:
C:\Windows\System32\DRIVERS\nvata64.sys (I'm running XP64)
C:\Windows\System32\idecoi.dll
C:\Windows\System32\idecoins.dll
C:\Windows\System32\NVCOI.DLL

In CMOS under Advanced/Onboard Device Configuration/IDE Function Setup/All options are enabled
In CMOS under Advanced/Onboard Device Configuration/NVRAID Configuration/ You'll want to disable RAID Enable.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
Tom Rachner Feb 26, 2006, 12:31am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 26, 2006, 12:33am EST

Trying to decide on memory for my ASUS A8NSLI-Premium board. Will be used for some gaming and video editing but mostly mundane stuff. Probably only need 1GB but want two (can never be too pretty, too rich or have too much RAM). Thinking Corsair TwinX2048 3200C2 DDR 400. Any comments. Have some threads where people are running this at 2.5-3-3-6 at 2.75V. Trying to stay under $200 and with rebates this can be had for $176.

John Williamson Feb 26, 2006, 04:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I use 2 pairs of those (4 sticks 4 gig) and its rock solid 24/7 on 64 bit xp. And its running at 238 with a 4400 x2 at 2.5ghz. It shows 4gb mem in 64bit xp and usually uses 2 gb when doing very little! It uses all of it at times too. Only shows 3gb mem in 32 bit in case you were interested. That is good mem for this board and your uses.

<a class= Feb 26, 2006, 04:15am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Don't all A64's have trouble running 4x DS sticks of any kind? Theyre forcing them into T2 and you lose over a gig of bandwidth there. Plus is isn't stable when running at higher than DDR400.

Johan Minnaar Feb 26, 2006, 04:19pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thats what I have been trying to point out.

You buy a AMD x2 whatsit.. with "CORSAIR" 3200C2 DDR 4 0 0 ! ! ! !... Firstly you hear that it only runs on amd at CL2.5..big deal... THEN......you hear it must be underclocked to DDR 333 and 2T command timings....WHAT THE??? I mean come on! Down goes the bandwidth, choking the cpu....

I still cannot get my machine to run 4gigs at DDR 333 (though it originally "worked" for a few weeks, but then I found that sometimes the machine would "lockup" on me) ... (2x1gb) 2gigs works VERY WELL at ddr400 + 1T and a ton of bandwidth. Thats what I would have expected from 4GB as well.

Anyone who has got DDR 400 and 4 gbs to work perfectly is either VERY VERY LUCKY or very very tollerant of "lockups". Lockups I mean system freeze - no mouse response, no nothing.

I need to do WORK on these things, not repairing them constantly! --- I think I better go back to INTEL - no problems with any of my last 11 machines to date.

PS: The only trouble free AMD setups I ever had were the 386DX-40's. :-(

John Williamson Feb 27, 2006, 04:28am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well I built 3 of thyese with 4 sticks and 4 gig. And I must be VERY VERY LUCKY then. All run perfectly 24/7 at 438 (not 333) and T2 and cas 2.5. Not one has ever blue screened or locked up. All have been tested with 2instances of prime overnight several times. You must be doing something wrong in the bios, with software, heat or power supply?

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.