Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 4465 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 21 - 11:50am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, Next >>
Johan Minnaar Feb 27, 2006, 03:14pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ
Glad to hear someone has got this running well. I can live with 2T I suppose. I will take the machine to a distributor friend of mine and we will try different combinations of boards and ram types.....I will let you all know what happened... perhaps there are just some tricky combinations out there..

My current system setup looks like this:
Amd x2 4400
Maxtor 6B300S sata
2 x Corsair Twin2048 3200C2 DDR 400 = 4gb
Gainward 6600GT dual dvi
Enermax 660W PSU
LG GSA 4163B DVD ROM/RAM PATA

I know a friend of mine has got 4gb running with almost exact same config. (think he got corsair 3500 pro sticks, though)... I'm gonna give it another shot.....

O.K. ? ? ?

Perhaps I really have a faulty component - although after two a8n premium boards, I really think its funny calling them premium.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Johan Minnaar Mar 04, 2006, 03:02pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
At last ... finally got around to doing some tests. I think some of you may be interested to read this:

This is basically the result:
You can forget A8N SLI PREMIUM - 4gb (MADE UP OF 2 x CORSAIR 3200C2 TWIN2048). I tried replacing the mobo with another a8n sli premium, I tried replacing the cpu(4400x2). Although this combination is certified by ASUS to work, it does NOT. I also tried replacing the enermax 600W psu with another. Graphics card was 1 x gainward 6600GT and I also tested another brand as well.

Then I tried this board with other samsung memory. It worked a whole lot better with 4 sticks, but then froze. Settings were according to vendor, but set to DDR 333, 2T..

It is probably something to do with the processor memory controller. It also probably has something to do with the fact that all vendors test their products with the market leader, unfortunately intel at present. This means that amd remains a good idea, a good design, not completely tested and a risky proposition. You want a real solution, just go intel cpu, intel chipset --EVERYTHING is tested with this combo. You can then work, play with the machine from day ONE.

What this basically points to is that SOME ram types will work better than others. Even though your RAM type is certified, it probably still wont work. I telephoned two large hardware distributors and they told me that 4gb on ANY amd board VERY rarely works - in fact it is not guaranteed to work(EVEN THOUGH THE PRODUCT SELLS IT AS 4GB!!!!!!!!)

So, I took out 2GB and gave it to a friend of mine. I've heard others who have had even worse problems.

By the way: the technicians(although they are mostly card-swappers), although they have built thousands of systems, said that if you want to do anything serious(other than gaming), dont go with amd. I suppose they meant not the opteron.

I have four slots for memory, two will be permanently sealed. It may be an issue with DS, SS modules, but hey, that same problem I had with early pentium 90's !! What the!! ....And there are NO SS 1GB modules.

Good luck to anyone trying to build 4gb or upgrading their systems one day in the future.I hope you get it to work.

rilzic Mar 16, 2006, 05:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok, so as you can see my specs and i overclocked again to 2.5 Ghz clock spped 245 with 10.5 multiplier but i think my ram went is at 333Mhz is that bad what would i want it at ideally for overclocking my cpu.

I have heard that in bios your memspeed is the real clock speed so half of the 400 as in ddr 400. in the a8n sli prem mobo is the mem clock speed number the real speed or representing the 400 as in ddr400.

cause if it is the 400 then i would want it at 490 right. for a cpu clock speed of 245?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
System:
X2 4400+ OC'ed @ 2.4
2GB Cosair XMS DDR400
ATI X1900XTX 512MB
ASUS A8N Premium
Antec 550W
19" LCD 8ms
rilzic Mar 16, 2006, 06:09pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I couldn't find a edit button :(

Anyway with my cpu oc'ed @ 2.4 fre 219 and multiplier at 11 or at 2.5 @ 245 with a multiplier of 10.5 i can't get the RAM past the 333Mhz

System:
X2 4400+ OC'ed @ 2.4
2GB Cosair XMS DDR400
ATI X1900XTX 512MB
ASUS A8N Premium
Antec 550W
19" LCD 8ms
rilzic Mar 16, 2006, 06:12pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mine came up to date working and everything. Got it a few weeks ago.

System:
X2 4400+ OC'ed @ 2.4
2GB Cosair XMS DDR400
ATI X1900XTX 512MB
ASUS A8N Premium
Antec 550W
19" LCD 8ms
chris ivan Apr 03, 2006, 11:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i recently purchased an a8n sli premium board with an amd 3700+ from monarch computers and i had trouble installing windows at first because it would constantly restart half way through. that problem was solved by reapplying some arctic silver 5. it worked just fine for about 12 hours and i shut down to relocate some wires and when i tried to turn it back on it wouldnt post. the green light on the motherboard was on and all the fans turned on as well but the screen was black. i tried everything i could think of and i still dont get anything. any ideas?

Hardware:
AMD 3700+ ADA3700CFBOX
A8N sli-prem
1GB KINGSTON hyper-x Ram
250 WD caviar 3.0GB/s
EVGA 7800GTX
Sound Blaster Live

sydney locks Apr 10, 2006, 12:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Asus A8N-SLI Premium compatible with seagate 2700.9
Hi,

Just bought a new system with this mobo and new seagate 2700.9 300gig drives. Been reading of possible compatibility problems. Has anyone sucessfully used these drives? Can I get them to work or should I return it?

Thanks!
Sid

sydney locks Apr 22, 2006, 11:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just an update, the seagates worked with latest firmware and bios 1008, but i've just used the windows ide drivers (have not had courage to load up the nvda storage drivers as yet, so no sata 2 or ncq, but then again no data corruption and drives seem plenty fast as is.)

sydney locks Apr 23, 2006, 12:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 23, 2006, 12:57am EDT

Update. Have successfully completed my first ever build with asus premium board without much problem (ver1.02 rev a3) came preloaded with bios 1008. To give back to the forum (which both terrified me and provided lots of useful advice) here is my parts list and some notes on a most excellent system (still happy and proud after almost a month of playing with my new toys :) I highly recommend self-building for those still hesitating (awesome when everything comes together...lol, this ain't no dell!)

Display: Samsung SyncMaster 214t
Case: Gigabyte 3D Aurora (Black with mesh window)
PSU: Ultra X-Finity ATX 600W (Black) XF600BK
Mother Board: Asus Rev 1.02 A8N-SLI Premium
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200 929 22 GHz L2 512Kx2 Manchester Core (Rev. BH-E4)
HeatSink: Zalman CNPS 7000B-Cu Led
Memory: Corsair 2 GB TwinX XMS CMX 1024-3500LLPRO
GPU: (1) XFX GeForce 7900 GT 256MB PCIe w/ dual DVI v.1.1
HD Drives: (2) Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3300622AS 300GB Satta 2.5 rev 3Gb/s 16mb 7200 rpm (firmware 3.AAE) (OEM)
DVD Drives: Samsung CD/DVDW SH-S162A (OEM), Sony DVD-ROM DDU1615 (OEM)
Floppy Drive: Sony 1.44MB (OEM)
TV Tuner: Kworld Studio TV Terminator
Speakers: Logitech X530 5.1 speakers (using onbard sound, which is fine!)
Keyboard: MS Comfort Curve 2000 v1.0
Mouse: Logitech G5 Laser Mouse

Only problem was with asus ide cable, tried using one to connect both dvd rom and dvd writer (bios didn't see the dvd rom) so used both ide cables for the two drives and bios was able to see them fine (might be an asus ide cable quality issue? had both drives set on cable select)

A few notes: Have overclocked the gpu to 550/806mhz and stable with cpu/mb 36/43C idle and about 48/44 load (artic silver still setting in), have not yet overclocked the cpu (next step), currently rock solid stable (ran superpi 32M with time of 34min17secs; 3dmark2005 came in at 9333) . Have run fear, doom3, bf2, oblivion, rome total war, warhamer40k all at max settings without any lag/ghosting, highly recommend the case, display, gpu(for price/performance) and speaker set (wow!).

Manually set the memory timings to spec (auto detection was erroneous). Plugged the sata drives into the nvda 3&4 sata slots. Not yet upgraded bios from 1008 preinstalled (as is working fine). turn off everything not needed in bios (raid, cool&quiet etc) qfan enabled and works fine. loaded nvda 6.7 chipset (but only for the bus and lan drivers, used the asus audiotec driver for on board sound and the windows ide driver for storage to avoid possible compatibility issues with sata2 hdd) also avoided the nvda firewall drivers....

Hope this is helpful to those thinking of putting together a new system.

FYI, for absolute 1st time builders who would like to put together something like what I'm using, I'd recommend the Corsair self-build tutorial. I've differed in some parts and drivers, but essentially I've worked off of their system specs, and it works and is stable. Had a worry with the newer sata2 seagate drives, but solved that by using the windows ide drivers and getting drives with latest firmware. Here's a link FYI:

http://sysbuild.corsairmemory.com/report.aspx?id=2&sid=2

(yes I know they're a commercial firm and this tutorial is probably designed to sell their rather expensive ram, but it is just so damned useful, kudos to whoever at corsair for thinking this up!)

Merc Apr 23, 2006, 12:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just wanted to post since I have seen my name mentioned a few times. The 4 sticks of dual sided RAM is a CPU issue, not a motherboard issue. AMD has largely alleviated this problem with the newer cores.

The 2T at 240-250FSB is an A8N SLI Deluxe issue. I know the A8N32 SLI Deluxe has overcome this and it seems the premium has too. I believe it is due to the voltage delivery as the newer A8N's have 8 phase rather than 4 phase power delivery. http://www.asus.com/products4.aspx?modelmenu=1&model=744&a...amp;l3=226

Merc
Modified Lian Li PC 7077A
Dual Watercooling Loops
Asus P5K Deluxe BIOS 0404
Core 2 Duo Q6600 (3600MHz@1.46v)
Max OC 4050MhHz at 1.65v
1 x XFX 8800GTX XXX Watercooled
2 GB Team Xtreme DDR2 800-PC6400
2 x 150gb WD in Raptors in RAID 0
1 x 640
sydney locks Apr 23, 2006, 12:41am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
@merc:

So, is it possible for me to go to 4gig without problems on my above rig and cpu (Manchester Core (Rev. BH-E4)? I pretty much figured I'm limited to 2gig for the life of the rig.

Thanks in advance!

sydney locks Apr 23, 2006, 12:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
@merc & anyone else:

Also, as noted above, I've been using the Bios 1008 without problems but with a lot of troublesome stuff turned off. Do you recommend I upgrade the Bios to 1009 or the beta (what are the improvements if any? Plan to overclock the CPU soon (hopefully to 2.6) and would like to have the best, but system is very stable and usable at moment.

Also would like to run the sata2 drives with the nvda storage drivers from 6.7 (but still fearful of compatibility issues with the ncq etc...) any advice here much appreciated.

Merc Apr 23, 2006, 12:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
4GB of RAM is a Windows XP (32) issue and has nothing to do with the motherboard or CPU. Here is a white paper that describes the problem in detail: http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/4GB_Rev1.pdf and a link to more info http://mental18.phpbbweb.com/viewtopic.php?t=202&mforum=mental18

Bottom-line is Windows will not address 4GB of RAM effectively. 3GB maybe but you'd be best suited sticking with 2GB until 64bit OS and software becomes the norm.

Merc
Dual Watercooling Loops
Max OC 4050MhHz at 1.65v
1 x 640
John Williamson Apr 23, 2006, 10:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
4 sticks of ram (2x twinx 2048 pairs) works perfectly, at both 333, 400.
And overclocked (cas 2.5) to 237x2 = 474

I have 4 of these machines all with dual core 4400 cpus.

All have run non stop since built and are faultless and totally stable.

32 bit XP only SHOWS 3 gb memory. It can however use more. Individual programs may not be able to unless writen to take advantage.
64 bit XP is howeever faster, smoother, better at mutitasking, uses both cores properly and much more memory at any given time and is also faultless. 3D rendering (pro engineed) on solid models, and even big photo editing jobs all run better and smoother on the 64 bit XP platforms.

Merc Apr 23, 2006, 11:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Like I said, the newer cores have largely eliminated the issue. The guys were quoting things from months ago earlier on. WHen Vista finally arrives I think that 64 bit computing will finally go mainstream and 4GB of RAM limitations will be one of those anachronisms from the pst the old timers talk about. LOL.

Several guys on my other forum use 4GB of RAM as their software nearly requires it but it is definitely a tradeoff and I'd recommend it ONLY if you have very specific needs with software that is optimized for it.

RIght now the sweetspot is 1GB for normal high end system and 2GB if you're a gamer. Running an AMD 64, regardlss of the core will see better performance from 2 x 1GB sticks but 4 512MB sticks is now doable, especially with X2's.

Merc
Dual Watercooling Loops
Max OC 4050MhHz at 1.65v
1 x 640
sydney locks Apr 30, 2006, 02:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 30, 2006, 03:01am EDT

updated to bios 1009, have not noticed any difference. currently have the rig overclocked and seemingly stable at 244 fsb x11 multiplier x4 htt, almost 2.7ghz. cpu volt set at 1.45, chipset volt and htv volt at max. getting instability above 245 with current ddr timings, also hitting 40/63c for idle/load on cpu, have reapplied the arctic silver so will see if temps get better on my zalman 7700, but as is temp may be limiting factor in further overclocking.

trillionDollarJunky May 08, 2006, 01:48am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ - Stereo hook-up
Hi,
My board arrives tomorrow. Right now, I'm wondering which of the rear sound ports do I use to connect my stereo system? The six ports have me confused. Can I use the FRONT SPEAKER PORT to connect to my Sony stereo system's 5.1 speaker system, or do I need to get new speaker wires that can connect to the motherboard?

Thanks for any help,
Charles

<a class= May 14, 2006, 01:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Asus has released a new beta BIOS. No word on what it does yet but I am sure I supports 5000+ S939 which will come out later this year.

Lieven Vanhercke Jun 10, 2006, 12:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi.
I've got a question about the A8N-SLI and it's memory
Does it support sticks of 1GB memory with 128x4 DRAMs?
Does that also count for the A8N-E?

chad rowe Jun 29, 2006, 10:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I bought the asus a8n-sli premium mobo about 6 months ago.....this was my first build and i had NO problems what so ever with this board.
I'm not a big cpu buff (got my first 2 years ago..lol) but everything ive learned in those 2 years was applied to this build and i had no problems with the ram ,with the first boot, with the build....nothing.....I have it OC'd with the bundled software -AI booster - (at 110% oc) and it stays nice and cool at 30c cpu,28c mobo,39c card with fan cooling.
I'm using 2 gigs of ADATA ddr400 value ram at 1T without a hickup....i used nvidia performace program to test everything and recieved v/good increases in every catagory.
Yes ive heard all the mumbo about 4 gigs of ram not work correctly but........this mobo obviously had "practicality" in mind with a nice price and a very good product....do you really need 4 gigs of ram??? i mean by the time we play games that NEED 4 gigs of ram you'll need a new mobo...lol for real.....yeah i was i little mad about it when i found out but this is a very stable overclockable solid board at a good price :)
system specs:
ASUS A8N-SLI premium mobo
AMD 3700+ 64bit newcastle(slightly oc'ed from 2.2 to2.5)
2 gigs ADATA DDR400 value ram
XFX GEFORCE 6800GS 485x1.1
WesternDigital 160gig hd
ASUS dvd/cd burner----ASUS 56x cd drive
ANTEC 550w SLI ps
Transformer case w/5fans 2-120's 3-90's

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.