Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1626 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 27 - 03:23pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, Next >>
niennumb1 Aug 12, 2005, 07:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ
My SLI Premium has been giving me headaches. I installed the NV Firewall, which I hear is a major contributor to the system instability. Is this true?

I'm also trying to run 4 Valueselect DIMMS of corsair DS 512 meg 400mhz chips. Not fun. Got the chips working at 333mhz with 1 error in memtest, but I still get random crashes frequently. I'm running a system with 4 Hard Drives, 1 PCI ex, 1 optical and external hard drives as well. People say the power could be why I get BSOD, but I never get any power downs. I have a Thermaltake 430w. Do I REALLy REALLy need to get more power? Is this why my system keeps BSODing? Also some driver issues too with the NVIDIA. The firewall situation's a mess. I hear it contributes to the RAM problem. Is this true?

I also don't know what the best BIOS settings are out there. Is 1005 the most stable? Also, is 6.66 Nvidia okay?

I'm having a seriously rough time with this. All I want is a stable system and I've spent 2 months trying to work through this BS. Help would sure be great.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Chris Jacobson Aug 12, 2005, 09:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
niennumb1:

NV Firewall should not be run generally. Unless you are using your machine to route between the two ethernet ports.

You should follow the setup guide in the sticky A8N-SLI Deluxe thread.

1 memory error is 1 too many. You should have NO errors; return the RAM and get quality RAM. You can't use low quality RAM with Nforce 4.

I highly recommend the Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 RAM. 2 sticks, so it will run dual channel, and I got mine running 2.5-3-3-6 T1 (I might be able to go faster, but they're rated for this; they SPD-read as 3-3-3-8 T2 though) with no issues. This is the only 'overclocking' I did (but the RAM is rated for it).

Your PSU might be a bit weak for 4 drives, check the amps. If it's not an ATX2 supply (24 pin, dual 12v rails), get one. It should have at least 25-28 amps combined between the 12v rails.

I used BIOS 1005 (what mine shipped with), and Nforce 6.66 drivers. My system is rock solid.

The problem for you at this point is most likely not your motherboard, it is settings, bad RAM, and possibly a weak PSU.

Chris Jacobson Aug 12, 2005, 09:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
David: if it comes with 1005 (mine did) then its got the latest non-beta BIOS. It's supposed to be X2 ready right out of the box.

You may need to get the X2 driver from AMD though if you have stability issues. I dont have the link, but it is in the low 190-pages of the sticky A8N-SLI Deluxe thread.

Chris Jacobson Aug 12, 2005, 11:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
To clarify on the power issue - you may not experience a power down, but what happens is your system experiences a very mild 'brownout'... or specific components might experience it, causing those components to destablize.

David Merrifield Aug 16, 2005, 06:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 16, 2005, 06:35pm EDT

Hi,

My A8N-SLI premium board turned up today and I completed messed up, the build went well the problems started when I installed XP.

In preperationn I had downloaded the new NForce drivers (6.66) from Nvidias website and stuck them on a CD. I booted up with the Asus CD and made a floppy of the NForce SATA drivers.

I installed XP lovely and then installed the 6.66 drivers, NVidia graphics driver and various benchmarks.

I benched the system all fine installed AVG antivirus rebooted and managed to corrupt my HD.

What I think has happened is the 6.66 drivers have updated the NVidia SATA drivers and are incompatbile which caused the corruption. I have now flashed my bios to 1006 and done a new SATA driver disk.

I am installing as we speak, another mistake I think I made was when installing the SATA drivers on XP install I only installed one of the drivers. Am I right that I actually have to select both of them??

Can someone clarify what I did would have caused the problem as I started to suspect the usuals RAM, PSU etc.

Chris Jacobson Aug 17, 2005, 12:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You dont need to install any drivers if you are using SP2 slipstreamed, I believe - my XP CD is an XP SP2 CD (not slipstreamed), and it never required me to install drivers.

You DO need to do the drivers if you intend to use NVRaid. If you don't you might not need them.

niennumb1 Aug 17, 2005, 01:23am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 17, 2005, 01:24am EDT

Yeah I officially decided this MOBO blows goats after 2 months fighting to get it running stabily, so since I don't need the SLI capabilities and dual NICs, I went for a different brand for the first time ever and got an MSI K8N Neo4 F. My god that thing runs like a charm. A couple small issues with shutdown/restart, but the system running is solid and so far consistently running with NO crashes on the same memory from Corsair for over 4 days now. NOT ONE CRASH and everything setup right the first time on XP.

ASUS--- bad bad bad bad mobos. Unless you have $$$$ to throw at "quality" ram and other components and also have the patience to fix all the glitches I wouldn't reccommend this board to anyone period regardless of its SLI. Get a Neo4-Platinum SLI if that's the case. I'm a changed mobo brand buyer now.

sven Aug 17, 2005, 01:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
wow this whole site has issues with teh asus boards...sadly im starting to agree with you.

has there been any known solution to the 1T past 250FSB? I know that i definatly have that problem even with the 6.66 and 1011 BIOS. ove gone through every BIOS, except 1006, which is supposed to work, but i doubt itll help.

I cant think that the firewall affects RAM but then again i have seen a lot of silly things today. What do you think about the IDE SW drivers? they are supposedly the culprit for windows demanding to be repaired.

niennumb1 Aug 17, 2005, 03:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yeah, so everyone I've seen reccommended HIGHLY AGAINST the SW IDE drivers and leaving the windows ones. Crazy, huh?

Also the Firewall is a total nightmare. That's what made me have to ultimately re-install my whole O/S.

People started telling me my RAM wasn't higher quality and I should go get something beyond Corsair Valueselect (which has been rated consistently GREAT RAM on reviews). The ASUS board tested RAM errors on B2 port MANY times as well as never quite ran all 4 chip ports correctly to the right frequency. When I got the K8N, I just plugged them in and they magically worked. Imagine that.

I have bought ASUS for years though. I can't tell you how disappointed I was when I got that board. Reviews were raving and it was the next greatest thing. SOmetimes it's like they say.... the latest and greatest isn't always the greatest. ;)

Too few I've seen got this board up and running perfect. That worries me as a consumer. 2 months of time and delayed contract work I know am piled up with was not worth the heartache of that board. I usually never give up, but this was getting beyond ridiculous for me.

bob bob Aug 17, 2005, 11:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Ive been reading with intrest all over the net that this boards got problems. Ive ordered mine and am waiting for it to be delivered. Ive got a few Q's that need A's:

1) Whats the difference between the Silicon image sata connectors and the nvidia ones (I want to run two hard drives in raid 0).

2) Im planning in installing xp sp2. And someone said that you dont need to install any drivers whatsoever when installing xp (im talking about the raid drivers). Is this true? I have not seen this in the asus manual anywhere.

3) Finally this is no biggie but would you reccomend my updating all bios and drivers or are the originals ok.

sven Aug 17, 2005, 01:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
1. i dunno, i just have this crappy single IDE so i dont worry bout those fancy things

2. yea you do have to install drivers. things like the sound, and prolly RAID functions, wont work unless you use the provided driver CD.

3. Research is your best freind here. Updating the chipset drivers is almost always a good idea (though im not sure if older BIOS versions will accept them). the BIOS is what really needs the research. I got way better OC results with 1008 then i did with 1011 and 1006 is supposed to be the best but i have a broken floppy drive so i cant flash it there. OC'ing is really the only reason to update anything on the mobo.

David Merrifield Aug 17, 2005, 01:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
As I understand it the main difference between silicoln and the Nvidia RAID controller is the NVidia has Sata 2 support which allows command queing and a transfer of up to 300 MBPS rather than 150 that the Silicoln uses.

You can install without the RAID drivers if you are installing to a single non RAID SATA drive, if you set up a raid array for your data you can install the Raid drivers then.

I flashed my bios to 1006, be awere you need to get the latest NVidia 6.66 NForce drivers as if and when you do go RAID the new BIOS updates the BIOS in the NVidia controller as well. If you don't get the up to date drivers you will get corruption very quickly.

I discovered the command queing doesn't work properly as well if your Sata drive supports it, you can switch this off in the Sata controller entries in device manager.

Another word of warning if you do install XP straight to a RAID array make sure the drivers on the floppy you make are compatible with the bios you have on your motherboard. When you instal XP you will need to press F6 at the start to say you want to install additional devices.

When you come to install additional devices you must install both driver from the floppy so you need to specify additional drivers twice.

It is a fine board and worth the effort, I had a huge learning exercis setting my machine up as I assumed I needed to install the SATA drivers to do a basic single disk install as I have always had to with other motherboards,

Good Luck

Chuck McGavern Aug 17, 2005, 09:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had no luck getting 4 Kingston ValueRam 512MB dimms to run on this board with my new AMD64 4600+.

They were on the approved list, but I had random lockups during POST or shortly after logging into Windows.. Swapped them out for 2 1GB DIMMS and it's been smooth sailing since then..

Chris Jacobson Aug 18, 2005, 01:36am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
rehan saeed,

1. The nvidia (black plugs, IIRC) are native to the chipset, are SATA2, the silicon image run through PCI Express and are SATA-150. Use the nvidia ones - faster, native.

2. You will need to install drivers AFTER installing Windows, but if you have a WinXP SP2 CD, and do not intend to use RAID, you do NOT need to install any drivers before or during Windows install. After Windows is installed, and you are looking at the Desktop, then you can install the NForce drivers (6.66). Burn them to a CD or onto a USB device from another computer. You won't have any network devices until the drivers are installed (took me 10 minutes to realize this one), so forget about downloading the drivers or copying over a network. This way you will get a clean install with the 6.66 drivers and dont have to install the older ones off the ASUS CD.

3. Run the latest non-beta drivers - NForce 6.66, ForceWare 77.77. If you have BIOS 1005, you dont need to worry about updating, but 1006 is the latest available.

To the others: if you are installing BIOS 1008 or 1011... no wonder your board is unstable! This board only has BIOS 1006 as a release, with BIOS 1007 in beta! DO NOT INSTALL A8N-SLI DELUXE BIOS ON THIS BOARD!

This thread is for the PREMIUM version (which has a heatpipe instead of a chipset fan, and eliminates the chip bridge for SLI, among a few other improvements), NOT for the DELUXE version. Sven, sounds like either you have the Deluxe, not Premium board, or are using the wrong motherboard BIOS! The Premium has been far more reliable than the Deluxe.

Chris Jacobson Aug 18, 2005, 01:37am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
niennumb1, were you running the Deluxe, or the Premium?

niennumb1 Aug 18, 2005, 12:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If the premium is more reliable than the deluxe, then I'm MC Hammer and just made my big comeback.

I had the Premium board. Thos having problems with RAM on the compatibility list, I had the same problem. Seems like everything has to be set up just right on these boards, or it gets all funky. Forget many of those auto settings. You really better know what you're doing. IMO you shouldn't need to go through so much.

On my MSI board, the RAM I used that people here said I needed "QUALITY" ram to make the Premium Asus work ran perfectly in my new board without BSOD's and failures in memtesting.

Whiever got their system running great and stable with this board I solute you. You must be a computer god and should be given a medal! :)

Chris Jacobson Aug 19, 2005, 01:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
niennumb1,

I had similiar experiences in the past, but not with an ASUS - with an MSI board. The MSI K7N2 Delta series was extremely picky about the RAM, stuff that would work great in my VIA motherboard wouldn't work in the K7N2 Delta board. Even stuff on the compatability list could have issues. I ended up having to buy RAM that was MORE expensive than Corsairs TWINX stuff.

bob bob Aug 20, 2005, 07:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Has anybody had any problems running 1 stick of

Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200C2PT Platinum CAS2

Thanks in advance!!

bob bob Aug 20, 2005, 02:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Also what the difference between 2 sticks of

Corsair 1GB DDR XMS3200C2PT Platinum CAS2

and

Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2

Chris Jacobson Aug 20, 2005, 04:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
rehan saeed,

TwinX are matched pairs - the TWINX is 2 of the first item, but tested to work together at the rated speeds in dual channel, and thus guaranteed dual-channel compatible. The sticks are tested in a board, then if they pass, immediately labeled as a matching pair and put into the same package together.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.