Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1692 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s February 15 - 01:50pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Paolo Vitoldo Aug 11, 2006, 07:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ
Hello,
I've got A8N-SLI Premium with 2x GeForce 7600 GT. When I switch on SLI mode, I can see a lot of artifacts in 3d (small green dots).
I tryed to use Forceware 91.31 and 91.45 but it didn't solve that problem... Could You help me, please?

A8N-SLI Premium (nforce drivers 6.70 and bios beta 1302)
A64 3000
2x Geil 512 MB
Win XP Pro SP2

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
keith leung Nov 12, 2006, 08:36pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i'm having the same problem

Paolo Vitoldo Nov 14, 2006, 03:41am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had 2x Gigabyte GF 7600GT with new bioses and only in SLI cards generated artifacts (a lot of green dots).

Now I have 2x Galaxy 7900GS and it works PERFECTLY in SLI mode :)

So... Try tu use another graphic cards.

Fred Moor Dec 04, 2006, 12:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Fans
Does anyone know the best arrangements for fan connections please.I want to connect:
CPU
Front Case fan
Rear Case Fan
Side Case fan (It's actually a Prescot style case)

My PSU seems to have its own fan arrangement internally and the graphics card is a passive heatsink type

I have available on mobo
CPU Fan Connector
CHA2 Fan Connector
PWR Fan Connector
CHIP Fan Connector
CHA1 Fan Connector

Even I can work out that the CPU one goes to the CPU connector ;-)), and I know the Chipset fan connector is no longer "needed" because the northbridge is a passive heatsink on this board.

Is the PWR one for a power supply fan, and on for 100% of the time
Is the CHIP connector tempearture related on or off
And what about the CHA1 and CHA2 connectors, are these 100% on, or tempearture related?

Advice appreciated

Beavis Khan Dec 04, 2006, 12:22pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
CHA1 and CHA2 are both full speed, always on, as far as I can tell.

____
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong."

- H.L. Mencken
Andy Alderidge Dec 19, 2006, 06:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello all, just joined up. I just finished building a rig with this mobo with no problems. I am thinking I have to replace my RAM, I am using 3Gb of pc3200 PNY not dual channel. I ran 3Dmark06 and it said out of 196 comparable AMD systems my rig was #10. If I replace my RAM with dual channel it should increase my performance if I am not mistaken.
Here is my rig:
Ultra Aluminus ATX Mid-Tower Case with Clear Side
Ultra / X-Connect V-Series ( XVS) / 700-Watt / ATX / 20/24-Pin / Modular Power Supply
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ 2.40GHz / 1MB Cache / 1000MHz FSB / SanDiego Core / Socket 939
Asus A8N SLI Premium NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard
2 ea. EVGA GeForce 7900 GT KO 256mb graphics cards in SLI
Thermaltake / Blue Orb 2 / Socket 775/939/940 CPU Cooling Fan
2 ea. ThermalTake Smart Blue 120mm LED Case Fan Blue
Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic PCI Sound Card
HP DVD940i Super-Multi / Internal / DVD Burner with Lightscribe

Jordan Rivest Jan 08, 2007, 02:24am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I just got my A8N-SLi premium the other day. I'm not a complete noob when it comes to computers, but this is my first system that I've put together start to finish. I put the MB in without any issues. I hooked everything up, and proceeded to install XP Pro. And that's where I hit the wall.

Here's my system:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ 2.4 GHz
2x BFG GeForce 7900 GT's
2x WD Raptor 36GB SATA 10K HD's
Asus A8N SLI Premium
2 Gig's RAM (4 x 512 MB)
1 Maxtor DiamondMax 10 250GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 9MS NCQ Quiet RoHS Hard Drive (storage - not currently pluged in)
Sli 3114 SATARAID Bios version 5.1.39 (don't know if this is important - whatever is default, is what I have)

I'm trying to setup RAID 0. I have the two Raptors pluged into the SATA_RAID 1 & 2 - the red ones (however I've tried both - SATA_RAID 1 & 2, or SATA 1 & 2), the 250 GB Maxtor isn't pluged in. Using the RAID config utility (F4 at startup) I've created a 68 GB sil Raid0 set. Going into the BIOS, I've enabled NVRAID (also tried while disabled), with the 1st & 2nd SATA Master enabled (Advanced/Onboard Device Config/NVRAID config).

When I reboot the system, the black screen that flash's on will show my 2 HD's, and indicates that they're configured to RAID 0. However I can't find anything in my BIOS (other than what I've mentioned above) that the HD's are there, or that the BIOS can see them.

These are the two files on my RAID floppy disk that my manual says to install:

NVIDIA RAID CLASS DRIVER (required)
NVIDIA nForce Storage Controller (required)

However I've also tried installing

I start the windows install, hitting F6 to install the above files for RAID, then I get a message along the bottom of the screen... Setup is starting windows... then the blue screen of death.

I've tried everything I can think of, including doing a regular install on the Maxtor HD, however it doesn't look like the bios can see that HD (I can't find it listed). I've tried installing windows on a single Raptor (with 2nd one unplugged) with no RAID, and I get the same error at the same place.

If anybody has any idea what I could try, I would be eternally grateful.

Gerritt Jan 08, 2007, 05:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The red connectors are for the SIL chipset RAID, you need to use the other set for the NV4 driven RAID. I've never been able to get a boot set to operate off of the SIL set, even with the proper drivers. Just reconfigure for the NVRAID and load BOTH drivers from the floppy during the F6 portion of the system load.

Good luck,

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Jordan Rivest Jan 08, 2007, 07:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yeah, after I posted the above message, I tried moving the SATA plugs to the black SATA plugs. I then setup the RAID (F10) and made it bootable, this was all found in my BIOS (which looks to be setup correctly). So that is all looking good. However I'm still getting the same BSOD at the same spot after I try installing the nvRAID drivers. My BIOS is version 4.84. So I'm thinking that I'm gonna have to update that. However I've yet to find some decent instructions on how to do it when I have no OS installed.

If somebody has a set of instructions other than those on ASUS's site, that would be great.

John Williamson Jan 08, 2007, 08:15pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 08, 2007, 08:19pm EST

Its not the bios. I have used all without issues.
It could be the driver you are using from the floppy, or it could be a bios setting.
Sugest you turn off everything that you can.
sOME fancy features just dont work!
Once you do this it wil work fine. Mines been the most stable setup I ever had.

Jordan Rivest Jan 10, 2007, 04:17pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Maybe it is the drivers. I'm not sure. But I'm going over to a buddy's place tonight that has this same board with a RAID setup. So hopefully we can get it sorted out. But thanks for the heads up that it isn't the BIOS.

les brady Apr 01, 2007, 09:44am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 01, 2007, 01:27pm EDT

hi all..im new to this exellent forum.....im not very good with computers...im not a noob i do know bits lol.....my question is...................i have an asus a8n-sli premium mane board with a 4800 amd x2 socket 939 cpu.....now im on xp pro at the moment and im thinking of getting xp 64...will i get any problems going over to xp 64....ive heard theres one for intel and one for amd...which is which....
my case is an xcruiser aspire
ill also be running..
a 650wt psw.
audigy 4 pro sound card
1 gig of adata(crappy)ddr400(3) 1gx16
a zalman cnps9700led cpu cooler
160 gig western digital sata hard drive
an ati x1950 xtx 512mb graphic card
any help would be great
cheers guys...................p.s is it easy to set up the sata hard drives....cheers
take care
les

John Williamson Apr 01, 2007, 04:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,

I dual boot XP64 and Vista64 with no problems whatsoever.

4 gb ram, 6x320 gb hard drives, 2 on raid 0 for boot Vista, and a Opteron CPU because they clock way better!

lkjlkj lkjlkj Jul 09, 2007, 03:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS (SATA II) and have been using it in a Nexstar3 360su hard drive enclosure. I've been using it via USB 2.0 for a while and it works fine. But now I'm trying to set it up using SATA II so that I can get faster transfer speeds.

However, it doesn't work at all. The hard drive is not detected by XP when I plug it in using the eSATA but works fine on USB 2.0. What is wrong?

The enclosure supports the eSATA and comes with a bracket to convert an internal SATA to eSATA. I removed the jumper on the hard drive so I can get 3 Gpbs. I plugged it into all the nVidia SATA ports except the one I am using currently for my main hard drive (SATA 1.5). I am using the 1009 bios. I have tried updating the IDE controllers for the nForce chipset using the 6.86_nforce_win2kxp_international_whql installer.

The problem seems to be that my hard drive cannot be detected when I use it in SATA II.

Does anyone know what I should do?

Beavis Khan Jul 09, 2007, 11:36am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Does it work when the drive is in SATA 1.5 mode?

____
"For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong."

- H.L. Mencken
lkjlkj lkjlkj Jul 09, 2007, 01:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 09, 2007, 01:58pm EDT

Beavis: I'll give that a shot when I can but for now let's assume that it does work in 1.5 what should I do then?

Beavis Khan Jul 09, 2007, 02:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Run it at 1.5 :) You won't get any extra speed going to 3.0 with a single drive anyway.

____

- H.L. Mencken
lkjlkj lkjlkj Jul 09, 2007, 04:20pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Alright thanks for your help. Does having a RAID setup mean you should be using 3.0?

Doc Evans Sep 15, 2007, 10:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Subj: dapper boot options?

I have been trying for ages to run 64-bit dapper stably on my A8N SLI Premium, and I have never been able to go very long without a random crash occurring.

Is anyone else successfully running this board with amd64 dapper? And if so, what boot options are you using?

I thought I had found the secret by using the "noapic" boot option, but although the basic stability seems to be improved (no random crashes) I can no longer burn any CDs -- the system freezes hard as soon as k3b completes.

Tassi Richard Aug 11, 2012, 01:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey.

First of all i want to apologise for my bad english.
so I got an Asus a8n sli premium mobo.
About a year ago i got a new PC.
I boxed the old one.
a few days ago, i tried to turn on the old one, but the
mobo always give me faults. 1 long 2 short beep(video card fault)
i realized that the fan on the card is not working.
i tried to swing the card a bit, and sometimes the fan started to work, but
i still got fault...
i checked the voltage, and its okey
tried the another pcie slot, and still nothing.

Can u pls help me?
Any advice?

thanx in advance!

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.