Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1795 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 27 - 06:34pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, Next >>
bob bob Aug 21, 2005, 08:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ
but if I decide to get a second stick of the 1gb xms3200c2pt shouldnt that work with it. What are the chances of it not working.

Also nobodies answered my question about getting 1 stick of xms3200c2pt to run on this board.

Thanks

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Chris Jacobson Aug 21, 2005, 05:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 21, 2005, 05:16pm EDT

One stick will run fine, just follow the manual about what slot to put a solo stick in. However, 2 matched sticks will give you dual channel.

If the sticks aren't matched to start, it's hit or miss. If they're the exact same brand and model, theres a very good chance, but it's still not guaranteed. They should work together, but not necessarily in dual channel or at maximum performance.

Matched sticks (like the TWINX) are pre-tested to work together in dual channel at the rated speeds (2.5-3-3-6 for matched TWINX C2).

sam caspian Aug 31, 2005, 06:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hello ,
i have just got my asus a8n-sli premium(with heatpipe),which i am running as follows-
bios 1007(using update utility off asus web)
a64 3000+winnie
2x cheapo ddr400(dual channel)
2x 120gig sata's jbod(how d'ya get the raid0 to work?)
cirrus logic cl5446(old pci card till i get my 2x bfg6600gt's later this week)
i have had no trouble with it,even with cheapo ram,i have read the threads and i cant understand
all the problems.are they really that buggy?.
how do i get the raid to work on raid0?.itried the drivers off the cd but it would not accept them.
i think its a great board with lots of potential.if i can help with any of your probs i will try.

Gerritt Sep 01, 2005, 07:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 01, 2005, 07:40pm EDT

>> ASUS A8N-SLI-Premium NVRAID
In order to get this to function, you will need the NVRAID Floppy that can be generated out of your CD or updated Chipset library. This driver will have to be loaded during the OS build (the F6 option)
On your next restart go into BIOS and enable the NVRAID functionallity and select the SATA drives that are enabled for membership in the RAID array.
On exit from BIOS you will now have the option to press F10 to enter the Raid Configuration for the NVRAID.
Select the disk and array type.
RAID will build.

As RAID0 is a striped implementation, you will now be able to install your OS. Make sure that you select F6 for other driver and add BOTH of the drivers on the Foppy.

You should be off and running.

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
Oliver Carrington Sep 23, 2005, 11:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've just finished the build of my new system:
- Asus A8N-SLI Premium (came with BIOS 1007)
- AMD X2 4200+ (Cool'n'Quiet working well, even with stock cooler)
- Corsair TWINX1024-3200XLPRO (running at 2-2-2-5)
- WD 74Gb Raptor (SATA1 off the NV controller)
- 4 x Samsung Spinpoint 200Gb (RAID10 off the Sil3114 controller)
- Sapphire X800XL Ultimate (with Zalman cooler)
- Antec P180 case with replacement fans (2 Acoustifan Dustproof, plus one SilenX LED)
- Seasonic S12-600 PSU
- Thermaltake Hardcano-13 (manages 3 case-fans and monitors GPU temp)

After reading all the scary stories in these forums, I was a bit nervous about building this, I have to say. However, by following some of the tips here & elsewhere (eg. RAM-Guy at Corsair) it turned out to be a dream build - not one hitch: all works like a dream, and quiet as you like. I do still have to fit the Zalman CNPS9500 though - I got one from a batch with faulty retention clips, now replaced - that will hopefully quieten it even more.

I'm yet to really pound this system with benchmarks, so I guess I may yet change my mind, but so far this seems like yet another quality mobo from Asus (I've been using their stuff since the TX97 chipset). However, it may just be me, but has the quality of the English translation in the BIOS gone downhill recently? ;-)

FWIW, if anyone's reading this and wondering whether to go for this mobo, then I'd say: "Yes, but just be sure to use with quality PSU and RAM".

Gerritt Sep 23, 2005, 12:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Question about the voltage regulator radiator
Has anyone watercooled this board yet? And if so, how did you go about cooling for the voltage regulators.
I've removed the chipset heatpipe and installed my chipset waterblock.
I have two choices.
1. Use some OCZ copper ramsinks that I have laying around.
2. Cut off the heatpipe and use the stock radiator.

The stock radiator has a huge surface area, but is aluminium. The Ramsinks are smaller but are copper.

What do you folks think?

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
sam caspian Sep 23, 2005, 12:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i have mine watercooled-
BLOCK-asetek antarctica
RAD-swiftech 120mm(mounted in roof blowing into case)
TANK-swiftech 5.25" bay mount
PUMP-hydor l20
all 10mm od tubes.
my temps are 27c idle and 34c@100%(folding)
i have not done my chipset as the temp seems to stay at around 34c.its been on all day too.
my chip is oc'ed to 2366mhz(1800mhz stock)
GOOD BOARD-NO PROBLEMS AT ALL.

Tristan Luscombe Sep 24, 2005, 07:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi folks,

I have just built a new system (specs below) and I've hit a snag.

Since I put it together, the system will not shut down when it should, so I decided to get chipset drivers and BIOS up to date. The motherboard came with BIOS 1005 installed so I installed the v6.65 drivers so that I could flash the BIOS up to 1007.
Since I did that, the system will load Windows and then somewhere between 5 and 30 seconds later it will BSOD with 0x000000FC. When I boot into safe mode it doesn't crash any more, so I can only assume it's the drivers at fault.

Has anyone else encountered an error of this nature? I imagine I'm going to have flash the BIOS to an earlier level and reinstall an earlier set of chipset drivers. Oh, and it still doesn't turn off when I tell it to.

Any thoughts or comments welcome!

Windows XP Pro (32)
AMD Athlon64 x2 4400+
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
XFX 7800GTX
2x GeiL PC3200 512mb (golden dragon pair)
2x WD Raptor 74Gb (RAID0)

Chris Jacobson Sep 24, 2005, 01:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 24, 2005, 01:16pm EDT

Tristan,

BIOS 1005 and chipset drivers 6.66 work perfectly fine for me.

Did you run at least two passes of memtest86 on your system prior to installing Windows?

By "not turn off", do you mean that the system shuts down but power stays on to some components? This could be a PSU problem, a connection problem, or a fault in the motherboard. Most likely the motherboard may be an issue in this case; if you can, RMA it, that might solve your problem. Don't flash your new one unless you need to, if it's 1005.

Tristan Luscombe Sep 24, 2005, 03:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Chris,

The psu and ram are from my previous system and worked perfectly then. I didn't install the 6.66 drivers as I'm running XP Pro 32bit edition and I thought they were for the 64bit version only?

By way of an update, I have today installed/removed all trace of nVidia software/drivers on the system (again) and with plenty of reboots reinstalled the 6.65 drivers again piecemeal. Fingers crossed, so far it seems to be working. And frighteningly enough, when I shut it down this evening it actually turned off properly.

What I meant about the powering down issue was that when I clicked shutdown or restart it would close Windows, bring up the 'saving your settings' message screen, then the next message which I think is something like 'Windows is now shutting down' at which point it would simply freeze. Still, as I said, it seems to be working now somehow, so hopefully it's sorted now. Very stange.

Thank you for your response though! :)

Chris Jacobson Sep 24, 2005, 05:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tristan,

It's irrelevant if the RAM worked perfectly on another system; RAM-motherboard compatability can come down to a per-stick basis - RAM that may work flawlessly overclocked in one motherboard may completely fail at stock speeds in another motherboard of a similiar chipset - or even between two of the same motherboard model. Sometimes just the slots they are in make a difference. Run the tests anyways.

Geil Gold Dragon (GD3200-512V) ram is rated for 2.5-8-4-4 in your system... check your timings.

6.66 drivers are available for XP 32-bit as well, and have been out for over 2 months now, since July 15th if you try to download nforce 4 AMD chipset drivers from nVidia.com, you get this link:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_amd_6.66.html

I dont even know where you can download 6.65 drivers...

Finally, if you didnt set up your BIOS by the guide in the first post of the sticky ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe FAQ thread... do so! That's a MUST.

Tristan Luscombe Sep 25, 2005, 06:21am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I thought memtest checked the physical integrity of the ram, thus detecting a 'bad stick', this ram has been checked and proved itself in the past, but I'll give it a test anyway just to be on the safe side. I'm planning on replacing it with a couple of 1gb sticks soon anyway (any suggestions on that front? I was leaning towards Crucial Ballistix).
I have been using the Asus website for driver updates and thus didn't realise there was 6.66 available for WindowsXP 32, I shall give them a try if I encounter any further problems with the system.

Thank for your help!

Gamerz Sep 25, 2005, 06:34am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 25, 2005, 06:35am EDT

Whoever it was asking about Corsair XMS RAM - I use an Asus A8N-SLi Premium with 2x1GB Corsair XMS DDR400 C2 @ 2-3-3-6 1T (2x1GB TwinX modules) with no problems - and have used a single stick alone before (I took one out when experimenting with 3DMark2001 SE scores).

I honestly don't know why so many people are having problems with the Premium - apart from the nF4 Windows XP Pro issue which can happen on any nF4 board (Resolved first time by creating a slipstreamed disk) I have had zero issues with this board.

Gamerz
Chris Jacobson Sep 25, 2005, 12:16pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tristan,

The POST memory test is a very quick and dirty test. Memtest86 is a much more thorough test using bitpatterns and various memory access modes. A good example of a common issue is board-RAM instability at various speeds or hypertransport settings, which POST memory test will likely never see, and will only show up in 1 or 2 of the Memtest86 tests.

Gamerz,

I use the same with no problem; in fact I believe ASUS has upgraded the QVL on the TWINX 1024C2 sticks (1 gig sticks) to support 4 sticks total as matched pairs for full dual channel

Powur Playur Sep 29, 2005, 12:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
WARNING from the ASUS BIOS update page.

Unfortunate. But it does bring up a question. What if you need to reload the operating system after upgrading the BIOS. Do you need to flash down to 1005, then reload?

Version 1007 2005/08/26update

Description A8N-SLI Premium Bios version 1007
Please do read the description before updating BIOS
======================================================
To avoid crashing file system, please do update the chipset driver to below version prior to this Bios.
=======================================================================
For WinXP 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.65 or later
For WinXP 64bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.65 or later
For Win2k/2003 32bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.66 or later
For Win2003 64bit system, please download and update chipset drivers V6.66 or later
1. Support new CPUs. Please refer to our website at: http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx
2. Update nVidia onboard Lan PXE ROM to V215.0503

Derek Jones Sep 29, 2005, 09:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am primarily using my mobo for an application that requires lots of storage and am
using a single cheapo graphics card (GeForce 6200TC).

Whenever I boot I get the message:

***EZ-Plug Warning Message***
The ASUS EX-Plug is not connected. Please turn off the system and
connect the ASUS EZ-Plug.

Pressing F1 allows me to continue and there are no problems booting
Linux. I have also run the various diagnostics (disc, memory, etc) and
everything checks out fine.

I have power leads coming out of my ears, so pluging one in to turn off
this message is logisticly possible. However, I have all the unused
leads nicely tied back and out of the way of the airflow. There is no
spare power connector in the general area.

Does anybody have any suggestion on how to stop this message
appearing?

8 x Seagate Barracuda 400GB Sata
1 x 40GB IDE Connor (I think; out of an old box)
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4400 2.2Ghz Socket 939
Corsair TWINX2048-3200C2 TwinX (2 x 1GB) Dual Channel
Asus A8N-SLi Premium Socket 939
Asus GeForce 6200 TC
Sony DRU-810A DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
Thermaltake Silent Purepower 680W PSU
Thermaltake Armour VA8000BWS

Chris Jacobson Sep 29, 2005, 11:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Powur Playur,

Probably not; it just means you shouldn't use earlier chipset drivers with that BIOS. But with no chipset drivers, means everything runs through a slower, safer set of drivers... like booting into safe mode.

Chris Jacobson Sep 29, 2005, 11:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Derek Jones,

When I first installed my 7800 GTX, it was mis-seated (I think) and the system reported no video. I moved it to the second PCI-E x16 slot (lower slot, further from the CPU), and booted. It booted with video, and I got that warning. I moved the card back to the original slot, and it booted find with video, and without that warning.

So... try the other PCI-E x16 slot. They're both equal.

Derek Jones Sep 30, 2005, 07:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 30, 2005, 02:47pm EDT

The board was in the slot furthest from the cpu. I moved it to the slot
nearest the cpu and the message went away :-)

Thanks for the suggestion.

UPDATE

I have discovered that the bios allows this warning to be disabled.

Advanced -> SLI Configuration -> EZ-Plug Warning

Gerritt Oct 01, 2005, 06:24am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Derek,
The EZ-Plug is the Molex connector just above the PCI-E-16 slot and just behind the on-board audio connectors.
I believe it is for SLI support, but have always connected it anyway.
If you have a spare molex connector, just plug it in, you should be good to go.
Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.