Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1579 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 27 - 03:28pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, Next >>
algernon arbuthnot Oct 06, 2005, 11:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ
In case it helps anyone -

I have a crappy old modded PCI serial card (sunix), which I need for h/s/w development. This would not work in the middle PCI slot, but works in the first (closest to CPU) slot. The PCI bus is locked to 33.33MHz in the BIOS setup, with FSB f = 201MHz.

I have some development tools which flaked on dual CPU. I have found the Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit (V4.1) to be effective in resolving these problems. The SingleProcAffinity fix does the trick.

ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe
Athlon 64 3800+ X2
Corsair TWINX1024 3200XL @ 2-2-2-5, 2.7V
2 * WD2500KS on nvraid as RAID0 set
Antec NeoPower 480
1 x ASUS 6600GT
etc.

With conservative settings, this is an excellent development machine. I can run a long build & continue interactive editing & debugging with no noticeable interference.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Chris Jacobson Oct 06, 2005, 03:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I ran into my first problem with the machine, but it probably serves me right, since I didn't completely follow the BIOS setup guide in the stick Deluxe FAQ thread.

When it came time to setting voltages/speeds under JumperFree, I left it on Auto. Im not interested in overclocking (other than getting my RAM at the rated 2.5-3-3-6 T1 vs 3-3-3-8 T2) so I felt that this would be fine.

Well, some games have been freezing my computer, looping the audio. I have an Audigy 2 ZS. I tried various settings, including adjusting the Acceleration level. The game I cared for the most, Battlefield 2, almost never exhibited the problem, but StarWars Battlefront II beta would freeze in 5-10 minutes.

Due to my case configuration (Antec P180), I cannot put the card in PCI slot 3 (power supply is below, and the power cables block the slot, so I have it in slot 2. I was going to move it to slot 1 next.

I went back to BIOS, and changed the PCI Clock sync to 33.33 (changing JumperFree from Auto to Manual first), and so far, SW BF2 beta hasn't locked up after hours of play.

Just a note for anyone who might run into this problem.

MIlky Oct 06, 2005, 11:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have an A8N SLI premium, and I have been using 2 512MB sticks of kingston PC 3200 RAM, KVR400X64C3A/512. I just bought another two sticks of the exact same RAM and when I install them, my computer doesn't boot windows. I hit F8 and delete to go to the boot menu or setup, but nothing happens cause its frozen when that screen starts. I took the stick out of the B2 slot and it works with 3 sticks at 1.5 gb RAM. I also tried it with the 3rd stick in the B2 slot instead of the A2 slot and it didn't work. So, It seems that whenever the last slot is in use it doesn't work. I was also wondering that if I was stuck with 3 sticks of RAM, would the 3rd stick stop the other two from running in dual channel mode, and which combination would be fastest?

XFX 7800GT
A8N SLI Premium
AMD64 3700 San Diego
Cooler Master Hyper 6+
Audigy 2 ZS
2GB OCZ PC3200 Platinum
Antec True Power 2.0
Logitech Z5300e
Turtlebeach EarForce Surround Headset
MIlky Oct 06, 2005, 11:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have an A8N SLI premium, and I have been using 2 512MB sticks of kingston PC 3200 RAM, KVR400X64C3A/512. I just bought another two sticks of the exact same RAM and when I install them, my computer doesn't boot windows. I hit F8 and delete to go to the boot menu or setup, but nothing happens cause its frozen when that screen starts. I took the stick out of the B2 slot and it works with 3 sticks at 1.5 gb RAM. I also tried it with the 3rd stick in the B2 slot instead of the A2 slot and it didn't work. So, It seems that whenever the last slot is in use it doesn't work. I was also wondering that if I was stuck with 3 sticks of RAM, would the 3rd stick stop the other two from running in dual channel mode, and which combination would be fastest?

XFX 7800GT
A8N SLI Premium
AMD64 3700 San Diego
Cooler Master Hyper 6+
Audigy 2 ZS
2GB OCZ PC3200 Platinum
Antec True Power 2.0
Logitech Z5300e
Turtlebeach EarForce Surround Headset
Jonny Liu Oct 15, 2005, 04:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Okay i'm reading through this forum and see alot of people with similar problems to me, i've checked as much as i can, but the system for me runs fine, until i actually watch dvd's or videos or play any games. Its varied i can watch a whole 2 hour DVD sometimes i can't watch more then 2 minutes before the screen goes into what appears to be a power save. It has actually frozen at this point and i can only hard reset for it to come back to life. From what you've posted here i think it may be my memory or perhaps i've not configured something to match my components any advice would be a great help. The system i'm running is:
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail
Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard
Corsair 1GB DDR XMS4400C25PT TwinX (2x512MB) CAS2.5 (i just used this from my previous system)
XFX GeForce PCX6600 GT 256MB DDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail
Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 Hard Drive - 80GB - Standard - 3.5" - ATA-133 - 7200 rpm

As you can see its assembled mostly from previous parts on the system i had before.

bob bob Oct 16, 2005, 05:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had the exact same problem, except it wasnt while watching dvd's. It just froze on the desktop. I have noticed you are using the 6600 gt. Make sure you have got the right forceware drivers fromt the nvidia website. I did that and the problem seems to have resolved itself, although I have the 6800gt. The drivers for the 2 gfx cards are the same.

Heres my system and its running fine:

amd 64 4000+
asus a8n sli premium of course
1gb corsair xmd3200c2pt
xfx 6800gt

Jonny Liu Oct 16, 2005, 06:16pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks Rehan, has seemed to have stablised now, although benchmarks still say memmory is under performance, i've ordered some more different spec ram :p hopefully things will be fine this time round.

Appreciate the help on this one and to the people who have been testing this stuff before i posted.

alan root Oct 29, 2005, 09:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
iv got this asus and a xp 64 4000 it wont post found out the san deago dose not work on premium dos eney one know how to make it work.

bob bob Oct 30, 2005, 05:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Im running an amd 64 4000 on my premium boared right now with the san diego core. It works fine. Mkae sure youve got the right drivers.

Timothy Toth Nov 05, 2005, 03:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am trying to build a new system and I am getting the "no post, no beep, no video" error. I have gone through all the standard troubleshooting: tried all the different memory I have, reseated everything (cpu, video, memory, power connections). I have the motherboard out of the case on a cardboard box. My system components are:

AMD X2 4400+
A8N-SLI Premium
Leadtek PGTX7800
2 Hitachi 250Gb hard drives
2 1Gb kits of dual channel Corsair XMS Pro (4 @512Mb sticks)
Thermaltake TWV 500W Purepower supply

I have contacted ASUS support and they recommended all the stardard stuff that I already did. However, they gave me some power supply requirements and recommended trying one that meets these VERY high specs.

500-Watt Power Supply
+5 Volts @ 35-42 Amps, +12 Volts @ 20-24 Amps, +3.3 Volts @ 38-42 Amps

I thought my Thermaltake was a pretty good power supply but it only has
+5 Volts @ 30Amps, 2 rails of +12 Volts @ 18 Amps, +3.3 Volts @ 30 Amps

I did some research and was surprised to see that NO power supplies meet all of these requirements. The only ones that are close are:

Enermax 701AX (600W)
+5 Volts @ 34Amps, dual at +12 Volts @ 18 Amps, +3.3 Volts @ 34 Amps

AeroCool (550W)
+5 Volts @ 36Amps, dual at +12 Volts @ 20 Amps, +3.3 Volts @ 36 Amps

Antec TP-II (550W)
+5 Volts @ 40Amps, dual at +12 Volts @ 19 Amps, +3.3 Volts @ 32 Amps

Aspire (680W)
+5 Volts @ 40Amps, dual at +12 Volts @ 22 Amps, +3.3 Volts @ 40 Amps

OCZ
+5 Volts @ 46Amps, dual at +12 Volts @ 20 Amps, +3.3 Volts @ 28 Amps

Does anyone have good recommendation on power supplies that work or comments on whether a power supply needs to meet all of the ASUS requirements? Unfortunately, no local vendor stocks any of these so I can't run our and test them. I will have to order them so any help would be appreciated.

Chris Jacobson Nov 05, 2005, 03:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Timothy Toth,

Your power supply should work fine. I use an Antec TruPower-II 550, and its probably overkill for my rig (Athlon64 3700, GeForce 7800 GTX, single hard drive).

Do you have a speaker hooked up? If not, hook some speakers up to the onboard audio. I had same problem, and when I hooked speaker up, I got a voice error stating that there was no video. Turned out my video card needed reseating.

You can even boot without CPU, without RAM, without video card, you should get a No CPU voice error. Add in your components, see where that takes you.

Timothy Toth Nov 05, 2005, 08:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have speakers hooked up (I have even tried all 6 of the speaker ports to see if that made a difference) and I don't get any kind of message to let me know which direction I should go in. I am assuming the Lime port is the correct one.

If you are using the Antec Truepower 2.0 TCII 550W that might mean the ASUS help desk was onto something. Compared to the Thermaltake Purepower 500W you have higher currents across all the voltages.
At +5V you have 10A more, at +12V you have 1A more on each rail, and at 3.3V you have 2A more. Could that really be the difference between running smoothly and not booting?

Chris Jacobson Nov 06, 2005, 02:13am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Do the fans come on at least?

it shouldn't matter all that much... try taking out the RAM, cpu, and video card (and any other PCI cards), and boot. You should get a "No CPU detected" voice error.

If that doesn't work, try a different power supply if you have one. If not, RMA the board, power supply, or both.

Timothy Toth Nov 06, 2005, 11:07am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have tried all the different combinations of removing everything and I still don't get any beeps or voice messages. I just ordered a new PC Power and Cooling Turbo-Cool 510 power supply as recommended on the AN8-SLI deluxe FAQ. If that doesn't work I will RMA the board.

Davem Nov 06, 2005, 10:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm in the process of building up a new computer using this motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 C2 4400+. I have just finished installing all of the components into the case and have performed the initial computer power to verify that everything comes up and that I can access the BIOS.

When I start up the computer I get a POST error indicating that the CPU Fan is not working. I can visually determine that the fan is working but when I go into the BIOS and check the hardware reporting section, it tells me that the fan speed is 0 RPM. I can overide the warning message everything else seems to be as expected.

I have installed an aftermarket Thermalrite XP-90 CPU heatsink with a Panaflo 90mm FBA09A fan on the heatsink. This fan has a sense lead and I have checked for continuity on the three wires to the fan and all of the wires are good. I have substituted a NEXUS three wire fan on the motherboard CPU_Fan connector and get the same results. I have also tried the smaller three wire fan that came with the stock CPU heatsink and strangely this fan seems to work correctly and I don't get a POST error.

This seems strange to me as both of the non-AMD fans have sense leads but the POST reports 0 rpm fan speed yet the stock fan seems to report correctly.

I would appreciate any suggestions that others might have regarding what is going on. I would like to stay with a lower noise fan and want to stay with the larger aftermarket heatsink but I'm sort of stalled as I can't figure out why the aftermarket fans aren't reporting rpm to the BIOS.

The BIOS that came with the motherboard is 1007 and I haven't made any attempt to update to one of the later versions. Also, I haven't loaded Windows XP and probably won't until I understand better what is going on.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave M

Josh Butler Nov 06, 2005, 10:51pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Despite the 3 pin connector, panaflos do NOT support RPM monitoring. The 3rd wire only supplies an On/Off signal.

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*
ABIT KN8-SLI
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ @ 2.8GHz
2GB G.Skill PC4000 RAM
PNY nVIDIA GeForce 7900GS
250GB 16MB Cache SATA Western Digital
more in-depth specs in profile
Davem Nov 06, 2005, 11:09pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks Josh,

What fans are others using with the X2 4400 and the Thermalrite XP-90 heatsink. I'm building my system in an Antec P-180 case and selected the Panaflow fan due to it's low noise characteristics. Are there other fans that are fairly quite and yet have the sense capability needed for the CPU fan application?

Dave

Josh Butler Nov 06, 2005, 11:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Check your PM.

*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*-_-*
ABIT KN8-SLI
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ @ 2.8GHz
2GB G.Skill PC4000 RAM
PNY nVIDIA GeForce 7900GS
250GB 16MB Cache SATA Western Digital
more in-depth specs in profile
Chris Jacobson Nov 07, 2005, 09:45pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The stock heatsink/fan included with my Athlon64 3700 is pretty quiet in my P180, except when playing games (and it could be contributory noise from my 7800 GTX). Then it gets louder, but not too loud, especially considering I'm playing a (likely noisy) game. It stays quieter if the room stays cooler, of course.

Keep the air filters clean and the door open and it shouldn't be a problem. It tops out at 44 C under max load, and runs 32C idle (3000 rpm on the fan).

Mark Johnston Nov 08, 2005, 06:02am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi guys, I just got a new machine delivered after getting a store to put the box together, and am having some problems with the RAID 0 they set up (namely, it won't boot...) Before I ask the store about it, just wondered if anyone could tell me any possible things to (A) check or (B) that I should have known about before ordering? :)

The config is:

A8N-SLI Premium
A64 X2 3800+
2 GB Corsair PC3200 TwinX
128MB Gigabyte 6600GT
2x 36 GB Raptors (set up in RAID 0 on the built in SiI RAID controller thang) with XP Home installed
30 GB IDE Seagate (Primary Master) (currently unformatted)
ASUS 1608P DVD writer (Secondary Master)
Thermaltake Soprano case (430W PSU - I'm aware that this won't be beefy enough to do SLI, but my undertstanding is that this has enough juice for the config above)

The symptoms I'm seeing:

Pretty much a random distribution between one of three options:
(A) Get to SiI RAID screen and it lists:

0 WDC WD360GD_00FLC0
1 WDC WD360GD_00FLC0

(B) Get to the SiI RAID screen and it lists:

0 WDC WD360GD_00FLC0
(#1 doesn't show up)

(C) Get to the SiI RAID screen and it lists:

0 DW CDW63G0_D00LF0C (note the mixed up letters etc)
1 WDC WD360GD_00FLC0

In each of these cases, it ends up complaining about the RAID array being invalid and you guessed it, fails to boot...

I assume the RAID array is toasted & needs to be rebuilt, but what concerns me is that it's not always seeing the disk there, and the corruption of the drive details in (C).

Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.