Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 928 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 22 - 06:54am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Motherboards /

Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, Next >>
Chris Jacobson Nov 08, 2005, 10:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Asus A8N-SLI Premium FAQ
Mark Johnston,

I believe that you should use the NVraid and not the Silicon Image raid. Besides that the nv controller is SATA-II, the Silicon Image is SATA-150.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong regarding using NVraid over SI.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Timothy Toth Nov 13, 2005, 09:59am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had a no beep, no video, no post problem using the Thermaltake Purepower 500W powersupply. I replaced it with a PC Power and Cooling 510W and it cured my problem. System booted the first time I used it and has been stable ever since. Time to hook up my water cooling system.

ASUS really needs to give more details on what type of power supply you can use because the information they provide is completely useless. I will never skimp on power supply again.

Chris Jacobson Nov 13, 2005, 01:58pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Timothy Toth,

I've heard of others using that power supply with this board; did that PSU work in other systems? It might have been a faulty unit.

Timothy Toth Nov 13, 2005, 03:14pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
When I first got the Thermaltake 500W back in May I used it on my AV7BX-X with a Athlon XP 2100+. However, when I first hooked it up I got the no beep, no video, no post error. I ended up RMAing the board and when I got it back it work both perfectly for 6 months.

Then when I tried to use the Thermaltake on the A8N-SLI and I got the same no beep, no video, no post error I got really suspicuous of the power supply. After reading this FAQ I decided that the Thermaltake might be work sometimes but the one that I had must be on the lower end of the thier quality control.

Gary Chen Nov 16, 2005, 11:16pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 16, 2005, 11:29pm EST

I'm looking to build a computer. I've built one before, so I'm not a complete newbie, but I'm far, far from an expert. I'm looking to build a PC based on:

Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 3800+ dual core
ATI X800XL
PC Power and Cooling 510 ATX (not SLI)
Corsair DDR400 (512x2) ValueRam
WD 250 ATA harddrive
SB Audigy 2 ZS

I'm trying to build as good a computer as possible as cheaply as possible, so I've been going through Ebay. Here are my questions:

(1) Some of the Asus A8N-SLI Premium motherboards on eBay are advertised as OEM without cables, accessories, software; just the board. Did you guys really NEED anything else that you couldn't download off the internet? For example, I thought I read on some motherboard review (maybe the Deluxe) that the audio component was actually a separate piece not connected to the mobo. (I might have misread)

(2) It is okay to have a non-Nvidia board (esp non-7800 model) on this motherboard? I really don't plan on having dual monitors anytime soon in the future and the 7800's are really expensive while there seem to be cheap deals on the X800XL's these days.

(3) I already have a PC Power & Cooling 510 psu. It is NOT an SLI psu. First, since I don't plan on using SLI soon, do I need an "SLI-compliant" power supply? Also, I realize that my psu has a 20 pin connector while the mobo needs a 24pin. Can I just buy one of those 20-24 pin adaptors for this?

Let me know if you see anything else that might be screwy with my potential setup.

Thanks!

Chris Jacobson Nov 17, 2005, 12:40am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Gary Chen,

You'll need the parts and I recommend getting the discs too. While you will want to burn a copy of the Nforce drivers to a CD (you have NO ethernet until drivers are installed), you wont need the drivers from the CD. But the other CDs, IIRC, are semi-useful. There are a bunch of cables AND components that come with the motherboard that you WILL need... somewhere in the range of 4 to 5 different slot covers for various motherboard features that your case may or may supply (or supply enough of - this thing has something like 6 additional USB 2.0 ports from the motherboard!). Audio is on-board, but since you intend to use a Creative card, you'll want to disable onboard audio anyways.

You're buying a high end motherboard; I can understand the interest to 'cheap out' and save a few dollars, but seriously, you're playing with fire to save a few dollars. If you really want to save money, get a cheaper, non-SLI motherboard. It sounds like most of the features of this motherboard - SATA, SLI - you don't even really need. While I personally love this motherboard, it really sounds like you might be better off buying a non-SATA, non-SLI motherboard for 2/3s to half the cost.

20 to 24 pin adapters can be a bad deal, I have heard. No personal experience in this though. You'll probably need a newer powersupply with PCI-E power connectors, and preferably dual 12v rails - your PSU doesn't have this, IIRC. You don't need an "SLI-ready" PSU so much as you need a "PCI-E-ready" PSU; if it has 2 PCI-E power connectors, so much the better! You CAN use adapters from the 4 pin MOLEX for this, if needed. If you intend to put a SATA drive in (SATA2 gets awesome performance, by the way, and this motherboard has 4 SATA2 connectors), you'll want SATA power connectors as well... something your PCP&C also lacks.

bob bob Nov 17, 2005, 10:12am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Forget the sound card, unless ure a pro and need to do sound editing or something. There isnt too much difference between the built in sound in the mobo and the sound card ure getting. U can then spend your money on a proper mobo and maybe a better gfx card too. Try to go for a nvidia gfx card, they have been and are still better than their ati counterparts.

Chris Jacobson Nov 17, 2005, 10:27pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Contrary to what rehan saeed said, sound cards make a difference, IF you are a gamer.

Hardware accelerated sound (in the case of the Creative Audigy cards) takes a load off your CPU, which can mean between 5-15%. In addition, you can get EAX, which adds environmental effects like reverb and such. It can add depth to the audio of a game.

bob bob Nov 18, 2005, 05:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yes but when your on a budget a sound card goes doewn the priority list. To get most bang for your buck your better off spending your money elswhere

Chris Jacobson Nov 18, 2005, 09:30pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Gary Chen,

You might also have trouble with that RAM; Corsair TWINX matched pairs, however, are on the QVL.

Gary Chen Nov 18, 2005, 09:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for all your advice, guys. It really helped a lot especially that information regarding PCI for the PSU. I did not know that.

U A Dec 01, 2005, 08:05am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've been reading this forum as I am building up my A8N-SLI Premium and it has been extremely helpful. Although I still have a few questions:

1) Which version of NVIDIA nTune are you guys installing (2.05.09.08 from NVIDIA's site, or 2.00.21.05 from ASUS's site)?

2) I've setup NVRaid and installed Windows XP without any problems. I originally did NOT install the NVIDIA IDE drivers, but did later on thinking I would get the "Speed Test" button in the IDE properties dialog in device manager. Well the button never showed up so I am assuming this functionality is not available when using a raid array. Should I uninstall the NVIDIA IDE drivers?

3) What is the current consensus on the audio drivers...NVIDIA or the Realtek?

mike yites Dec 01, 2005, 03:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Everyone blames asus motherboards for being sucky cuz they cant get it to work. I got it up and running the first time I POSTed. Its a great motherboard and its fairly dummy proof which proves to be why the a8n-sli is the most popular model around!

asus a8n-sli premium 1.009
amd64 x2 3800
ATI x1800xt 512mb 700x1750
2xRaptor RAID0
Creative x-fi platinum

Garrett Russell Dec 03, 2005, 01:08am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i'm trying to OC this beast. i have gotten it up 10% but once i go past 220 then it starts lowering my speed. I dont know why. i have noticed that the factory setting for AI overclocking were also 10%, could this be why it won't let me OC past 10% in manual mode?
bios 1005 just updated it today before ocing wiht my new zalman. also do i need to change my voltage setting while ocing or does auto acualy do it automaticaly

Rig:
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
3500+ Venic @ 2.42 With Zalman 9500LED
1 GB Corsair wiht LED
xfx 6800GT
250GB hdd
500W psu
19in Samsung flatpanel 8ms

Thanks for your help in advance

Matt Prewitt Dec 04, 2005, 10:46am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi everyone! I need to ask for some help with the computer I built last month.

ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 4200+ ATHLON X2
CORSAIR D400 2GB TWINX1024-3200C2PT 4x512MB
PSU SEASONIC|S12-600 RT
more...

I leave my computer on always. When I walked into the room the other day, it was off and it wouldn't come back on.

The computer worked flawlessly for 21 days and now will not turn on. No fans, no drives, nothing but one little LED on the motherboard. I have tried removing the RAM, replacing the battery on the mobo, disconnecting everything from the mobo, even removing the CPU, but nothing works. I tested the voltage, and I'm getting 5 volts to the mobo and approx .085 volts to each power connector with the PSU on. I don't think it's a problem with the PSU, but I don't have a spare 24 pin PSU to test it with.

Gabriel Ting Dec 06, 2005, 09:11pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
When I tried installing Windows XP OS and other software on my SATAII WD HDD from the DVD drive, I would get file read errors from my Pioneer DVD 110 drive. I have tried swapping the Pioneer drive with a LiteOn drive from my other computer but the errors still persist, though less severe. The software installation CDs I used never had any problem in past installations (on other computer) nor has my LiteOn drive showed any reading problems in the past on my other computer.

I gather the problem lies in the M/B IDE controller, driver or the IDE cable (used a round IDE cable instead of the ones provided with the M/B).

The following describes my system:

AMD X2 4200
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
1GB (512x2) OCZ Premier
Gigabyte 6800GT VIVO
WD SATA II 160GB HDD - connected using SATA cable to SATA 1 on M/B
Pioneer DVD 110 - connected using round IDE cable to Primary IDE
Antec Neo He 430

Please advise what should my next step be. Cheers.

Garrett Russell Dec 06, 2005, 10:28pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ya i'm a tard, answed my own questions,and didn't realize i had ot manualy flash, i must be a noob lol. but anyways even without updateing my bios i got it to 2.59ghz at 1.57v. and the temps are only 29c idle and 39c full load anyting past this setting would crash while testing it. shouldn't it be fine because the temps are so low? and how can i get it faster?

Rig:
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
3500+ Venic @ 2.59@1.57v With Zalman 9500LED
1 GB Corsair wiht LED
xfx 6800GT
250GB hdd
500W psu
19in Samsung flatpanel 8ms

Munzi Guido Dec 08, 2005, 05:19pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a A8N-SLI Premium mobo and a AMD X2 4200, still in theirs boxes.
It seems tha my mobo supports this CPU only if bios version is 1006 or later version.
Actually I don't know the bios version of my mobo (in the mobo box ther is not the "Athlon X2" icon, as in some other mobo box).
what's happend if I haven't the right bios version? Does the PC will start anyway with my AMD X2 4200? May I update the bios only after?

thanks a lot
sorry for my bad english
Guido Munzi

John Williamson Dec 09, 2005, 07:12am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Asus A8N-SLI Premium Bios 1007
Coolermaster case (with all fans on the 5v rail so its quiet!) Temps are fine.
Pair of 2gb Corsair TwinX pro C2 modules (4gb total) with stupid activity LEDs...
Athlon 4400 x2 CPU
580 Watt Tagan power supply
2x 250gb 24/7 high reliability Maxtors SATA on the nvidia controller for data and backups.
2x 120gb Seagate SATA as 32bit xp / 64bit xp boot drives chosen from the bios so I can choose!
2x 120gb IDE maxtors, for movies etc.
USB printers, scanners, 21 inch Sony Trinitron tubed HP flat screened pro monitor.
Some ASUS fan free N6600 graphics card (I dont play games! They bore me) I spend my time making money online/building web sites for big companies, testing software for developers (hence 64 bit XP) running web server, ftp server, ripping movies, etc on 24/7.

I bolted this lot together a week ago. Absolutely no problems, both with 32 bit and 64 bit windows. Totally stable and causes no file corruption, blue screens, or anything else. Nforce driver = the one that came on the disk...

It overclocks easily, and reliably by 10 to 12 percent in a variety of ways. Running cas 2.5 on the 4gb memory. Bios sees 4gb. Windows seems to see 3gb in both 32 and 64 bit.

Is it using all four or what?? Does not seem to matter it works well enough!

sam caspian Dec 09, 2005, 08:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i also have a premium board,i have had absolutley no probs with this board.
i have it now at 2530mhz with a 166 divider and a 280 fsb.i lowered the multi to 4 and it posted at 360 mhz.
GREAT board and good for clocking.
my spec-
a64 3000+@2530 280htt
asus a8n-sli premium v1.02 1008 bios
2x 512mb pc3200 @229
2xmaxtor 120gig sata+1x hitachi 120gig sata
audigy2 zs
dvb tv card
wi-fi card
water cooled with-asetek antarctica cpu block,asetek gpu block,cape coolplex 25 res,swiftech mcp350
pump,swiftech 120mm radiator.
this board does clock whatever anyone says,i cant understand why people have trouble with this board,
it is a stonker and reliable too.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.