Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1034 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 09:48am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / General Technology /

Emachines T6522 Desktop: is it good? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29
Shannon Peters Feb 28, 2008, 09:17am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Emachines T6522 Desktop: is it good?
Hey guys! Been a loooong time since I posted. My t6522 is still running and doing mostly what I want it to do but I have a small problem lately.

I have been trying to burn dvd's and when I put the burnt dvd into my dvd player in the bedroom the movie freezes and is unwatchable. I don't think its my software as I have tried 2 seperate burning programs.

This makes me think that is my dvd drive. I have heard great things about LITEON brand of drives so my get one to see if that fixes my problem. But what I need to know is if anyone knows if our original drive (TSSTcorp CD/DVDW TS-H552B CDROM Drive) is IDE or SATA?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
john albrich Feb 28, 2008, 09:38am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 28, 2008, 09:46am EST

It is an IDE drive.

However, I would recommend an NEC3550A if you can get one. LiteOns are good, but I am very impressed with the NEC drive's ability to burn media that even LiteOns can't make usable. I recommend not buying a used or open-box DVD burner, however.

Actually, the problem may be your media. Some brands just don't work well in some standalone DVD players, especially if you burn really long shows that burn all the way out to the very edge of the DVD, and sometimes even just because the discs age while they are being stored unburned/unused. (e.g. a package of a brand that worked 1 year ago might stop working reliably simply because it has aged)

BTW, if you ever want to turn an IDE drive into a SATA connecting drive, you can buy a ~US$12 adapter that will do so very effectively. It can eliminate a bulky PATA cable.

edit to add-and of course, if you've changed the media, then it could be the disc format. Some standalone players easily handle DVD+R discs, but are unreliable with DVD-R discs, and vice-versa.

It can also depend on burning speed. I generally burn discs at 4X even when they are rated higher. The higher vibration in the drive at the higher RPMs can produce a disc that is closer to 'out-of-spec' than a disc burned at lower RPMs. If you want, you can find more information about that by reading up on "adaptive optics" in CD and DVD drives.

Also, dust inside the player becomes a more critical issue with certain types of discs, and is a problem in general.

Ryan Evans Mar 15, 2008, 06:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
troy k said:
Well I had to use my restore disc finally. 1 thing I have to tell you is you might have to remove some things you have added such as a video card. The restore disc just would not work properly till I unplugged my video card then it worked fine. I tried and tried but found this was the only way it would finish loading up. Just wanted to save everyone else the hassle.

Thanks for this comment! I was having the exact same problem until I read your post. I almost wasted $20 ordering the recovery discs from emachines because they told me I probably had corrupted CD's. Luckily I was able to cancel the order before it was too late. Now everything is running smoothly.
Has anyone ever noticed how quickly the computer boots up after the factory restore especially compared to restarting it after just a few new program installations? This happened on my T6520 as well.

Hans Moleman Mar 18, 2008, 01:23am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I stay away from NEC drives. Of the three I've owned one was DOA, one lasted 4 months, and the last lasted 1 year so I couldn't exchange it for a replacement with Newegg like the first two. I know they're popular, but I stick with what's worked better for me. I've done well with Liteon drives and two of the computers in my house have Asus DVD burners which have worked very well and came with Nero even though they were OEM drives.

AMD Athlon64 X2 3800+
ABit AN8 Ultra nForce4 Ultra Chipset
MSI 9800GT OC 512MB
CORSAIR ValueSelect 2GB (2 x 1 GB) DDR 400
Antec 500W PSU
john albrich Mar 18, 2008, 02:06am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hans Moleman said:
I stay away from NEC drives....

I recommended a specific model...the NEC3550A. In the 3550A NEC appears to have done an outstanding job with stability, and the adaptive optics and laser power control programming over all speed ranges (hence its ability to burn reliable disks well above their rated speeds).

As for LiteOn drives in general, I've seen good drives and bad drives...just as with NEC in general.

Tim Ritt Jul 18, 2008, 08:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
You can try crossflashing it to a TS-H552U before trashing the drive. Do a search on Cd freaks to get the directions on crossflashing it. I did mine long ago, and have great luck with US07 firmware. US08 or US09 is the latest fw I believe but I haven't tried it yet, as my drive is fine and I don't believe the update was that important.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.