Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1360 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 26 - 12:21am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / General Technology /

Emachines T6522 Desktop: is it good? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, Next >>
Butch Searle-spratt Sep 05, 2005, 09:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Sep 05, 2005, 09:08pm EDT

>> Re: Emachines T6522 Desktop: is it good?
Mr. WaterDrop, would you mind droping back in and giving us an itemized breakdown of all the components of your "dream" system. Showing us all the error of our ways and leading us to the promised land of the "cheap" supercomputer. If my eMachines T6522, as you say "sucks", then please show me how a non technical computer person such as myself could possibly have somehow built a better computer for less than $699.99 plus tax. Bearing in mind, in all fairness of course, that not all are as technically superior such as yourself both in foresight and hindsight.
Andrew, please keep us informed in the future here of any futher mods you make to this puter. They are very informative. We shall all do our best to ignore the trolls.

Best Regards, Butch

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Gerritt Sep 05, 2005, 09:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ouch, Butch,
Though elequently stated, I think we have two separate communities butting heads here.
I am more on the WaterDrop side (shudddddder) on this one though.
That being the high end gamer/poweruser end of the spectrum.
Can you get a respectable machine for general usage for the general user for approximately $700?
Mayhap you can.
Do I spend almost that much on a single component? Yes I do.
Do our systems compare? I don't think so.
Whether its a "need" or a "hobby" or "just what I need" is beyond the point.
Some folks push the envelop in GHz, some in "Bang for the buck", and some dislike both and are just looking for the least expensive solution to what they need.

Having been a VAR, and a support agency, I've had bad issues with EMachines, but I can say the same of Compaq, HP, and DELL; just not to the same degree (don't get me off on Gateway).

A GOOD System is one that does what it's supposed to, out of the box.
On a good day EMachines does just that.

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO
j bailey Sep 06, 2005, 01:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey, I'm considering this box as well, mostly for a media center, ie DVD, HD and Music. Problem is with the PCI slots. If I upgrade the video and audio cards, keep the included analog tuner, add an HD capture card, then I have no other slots for wifi or anything else. Has anyone dealt w/ wifi or upgrading the sound without using a PCI slot?
Thanx,
j.

Butch Searle-spratt Sep 06, 2005, 05:39am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 06, 2005, 05:56am EDT

I see where you are coming from Gerritt and you are correct. The T6522 is not for you and that there are two communities here butting heads. No question.
As discussed on this thread, in the earlier pages, the sum of the parts of this machine make this a good deal. One simply cannot buy all the parts and software for the cost. A perfect computer? Hardly, probably no such thing. A good computer? I believe so and so do a lot of others. Speaking for myself, I am not a serious gamer. A few RTS titles and I am more than willing to play them at a lower setting if need be. A serious gamer, who requires all components to be top of the line, should stay away and be looking at Alienware or something, I don't know. Simply, computers are like everything else, they are good when they run, junk when they don't. lol.
Best Regards, Butch

Matthew Rogers Sep 06, 2005, 07:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm looking from two directions. First hardware then future software plans:
<The Venice>
Venice (90 nm SOI)

- gets me set up for trying Windows 64 bit in the future. It's set to address up to 256 terabytes of memory, so I got that going for me. It'll also get me through Vista, when Microsoft releases it in 2011.

- the generous one Gig of memory will be fine until I get a video card (and I'm not used to this fast memory to start with!) I need one from $125 to $200.

- Who doesn't love Windows when you first get a computer? It always feels great. And then you mess it up...

- The blue circle around the power button shines a large blue ring on my wall at night. When the computer goes into low power mode, the circle flashes. You can't see this in the daytime.

- this computer's sleep mode is great. She goes DOWN. And comes up REAL FAST. I love that. That's a great touch.

I can see keeping this hardware for a while, so I got a good deal!

Adam Kolak Sep 06, 2005, 08:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Aright let me take a spin at it, look what you can get for around the same price:

3500+ $219:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819103533

1GB Corsair DDR400 $89:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820145440

TV Tuner/FM radio tuner/PVR PCI card $66:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815116620

Xion case w/450 watt PSU (better than emachines case and PSU!) $65:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811208004

Windows XP MCE 2005 $130:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16832102311

ECS s939 Mobo with onboard audio and Radeon Xpress 200 $66:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813135191

Maxtor 200GB HD SATA $86:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144184

NEC 16X Dual Layer Dual Format DVD burner $39:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152047

Total: $760, yes a bit over the eMachines but with some cheaper ram and a cheaper case like the eMachines has you can be even cheaper.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
Merc Sep 06, 2005, 09:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Man I can't believe the Venice core is going for $219. I paid $275 for my Newcastle 7 months ago. Waaaah.

To all the guys that like the E-Machines I understand where you are coming from but realize that every part WaterDrop listed (except for that case/PSU and the ECS mobo, LOL) is a high quality item with, usually, a three year warranty. Justifying building your own PC based solely on saving money is very difficult to do except when you start getting into the higher end units. There you can save lots of cash. At the low to middling range, though, you really can't save much money over what a OEM can offer.

So why build then? Firstly, when you build it yourself you learn about 1,000 things you never knew about PCs and become, by default, your own tech support. Not only is this enjoyable it makes life a lot easier. No more 5 hour phone calls. If you have a real tough problem, just stop by here and you'll usually have ten answers within an hour. Hell I have gone on IM to help get some folks up and running.

Also, when you are ready for an upgrade you now have the skill to do it yourself, one piece at a time, knowledgably. You no longer have to junk the old PC and get a whole new unit just to use new software. You can plug a new CPU in, upgrade your RAM, set up a RAID array etc. in your sleep almost.

Lastly, I guarantee that if you build a PC you will never, ever buy another off the shelf unit. No one ever goes back to buying off the shelf. There must be a reason for that. It goes beyond the thrill you get when your first homebuilt boots into life. It is just that you now know what is really going on inside that box and refuse to hand over your cash to an OEM.

So, it isn't just about saving money. It is about spending your money on good hardware that you know will last and you can fix when it has a problem. I mean, Andrew has already replaced his video card and PSU and flashed the BIOS. He is halfway to building his own PC anyways. Might as well have done the rest and then he could've loaded windows without all the OEM detritus. When he starts wanting to overclock the CPU and can't (most OEMs don't allow that in BIOS) he'll be back asking about good mobos for less that $100.

Merc
Modified Lian Li PC 7077A
Dual Watercooling Loops
Asus P5K Deluxe BIOS 0404
Core 2 Duo Q6600 (3600MHz@1.46v)
Max OC 4050MhHz at 1.65v
1 x XFX 8800GTX XXX Watercooled
2 GB Team Xtreme DDR2 800-PC6400
2 x 150gb WD in Raptors in RAID 0
1 x 640
eric adrignola Sep 07, 2005, 08:47am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm currently looking into this system (T6522) or the Best Buy, TV
tuner-less equivilant(T6520, $600 after rebate).
I have wanted to build my own computer for several years. A friend of
mine has lots of experience with this, and owould help me out.

I need to be convinced to order from newegg, and build the drn thing
myself...

Here's what I'm looking for:
I have a new baby, and will be doing lots of web design, photo editing,
and video editing and DVD creation. This is the main reason for the
computer. I would also like to have a computer that I'd be able to play
new games on (mainly Supreme commander, since I was a big fan of TA
back in the college days...).

The Emachines had a horrible reputation whaen I worked fore Circuit
City, 5 years ago. Now, they are using much beter components, even
better than HP and Dell and Gateway, and they actually have the best
reliability scores out of all the pre-fab computers now(It's actually true, I
was shocked when I found out yesterday). Apparantly, they have done
this by using better (not the cheapest imaginable) components. The high
quality innards (surprise surprise) reduce defect rates so muc, that their
overall costs went down, and they've been able to keep prices lower.

For my main purposes, I believe this computer would be fine. However,
for gaming, I would need to spend a few hundred on a card and power
supply, and tinker with a pre-made system. No biggie.
but it would be fine after that, RIGHT?

Currently, I have a P3, 733 with 128 meg of RAM (I know, I know...)
I was FORCED to get XP when my HD crashed, and I realized that
theHP gave me the wrong recovery disk, and I couldn't reload Windows
98 - so I have a copy of windows XP already.

That would cut over $100 off the price of a built system.

By the list above,(Newegg prices) ,I could build a superior
system(including a better power supply and a far better graphics card),
for the same amount of money(~$700).

Plus, I'd get the experience and farmiliarity with MY system.

All in all, I'd be better off building, correct???

Thank you for your input... Money's tight, cause of the new baby girl, so
I have to make sure I spend it properly.

Merc Sep 07, 2005, 02:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 07, 2005, 02:47pm EDT

Eric-
You may want to go with an Intel CPU as it has hyperthreading which is a very good thing to have for video editing. As for your question, though, for $700 it will be very hard to beat that E Machine. They have the ability to buy parts by the tens of thousands and put them together rather cheaply. The quality of those parts is always a question mark though.

If I was going to build a PC for what you want to do I'd use an Intel processor with hyperthreading, 2GB of RAM and a 300GB hard drive. As far as a video card a 6200 or 6600 should do (based on prices at the moment) unless you plan on gaming, then you'd want at least a 6600GT. You could probaly build this for around $1000. Now lets see if I can do that with the gaming video card:

Intel Pentium 4 640 Prescott 800MHz FSB 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 EM64T Processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16819116197 $216

Foxconn 915P7AC-8KS Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 915P ATX Intel Motherboard http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813186048 $79

XFX PVT43GNDF3 Geforce 6600GT 128MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814150098 $149

GeIL Value 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820144322 $200

Western Digital Caviar SE WD3000JD 300GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144393 $151

Antec Solution SLK3000-B Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811129152 $49

FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX450-PN ATX12V 450W Power Supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104954 $50

TOSHIBA Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 6X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE DVD Burner 40http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827130049 $40

SONY Black 1.44MB 3.5" Internal Floppy Drive Model MPF920 Black http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16821103116 $10

GRAND TOTAL $944

The above would actually be one helluva nice system. If you buy a new PSU and video card for the $700 E Machine you'd be looking at $900. Also, all these prices are from Newegg. You can certainly beat them by going to Pricegrabber.com. You'd probably save $100 minimum by shopping around. All these parts are very good and you can grow with them.

No, you aren't saving a dime here. In fact you are paying more since you have already purchased the OS (not building your own makes that a waste of $100) but compare the features and then decide. You could definitely game with this rig and it would tear up video editing. When you have more $$$ get another 300GB hard drive and set up a RAID 1 array on that SATA port. I'd guess that you'd pay around $1500 for a rig like this at an OEM.

As far as cutting back on the above you could go with 1GB of RAm and save $100, 6200 would save $50, and a 200GB hard dribve would save another $50 so you are at around $750. I'd pinch a few pennies though and stay close the the above specs.

ADDITIONS:
Acer AL1714CB-8 Black 17" 8ms LCD Monitor 370 cd/m2 350:1 0.264mm Pixel Pitch http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824009036 $210

Merc
Dual Watercooling Loops
Max OC 4050MhHz at 1.65v
1 x 640
eric adrignola Sep 07, 2005, 02:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
When you have more $$$ get another 300GB hard drive and set up a RAID 1 array on that SATA port. I'd guess that you'd pay around $1500 for a rig like this at an OEM
>>>>
I don't know what that means... I know I knew at one point, but not
working with the inner workings of my computer for so long, I have
forgotten. RAID1, Sata....

I don't know if I'd need more than 200-300 gig. I plan on putting
everything on DVD (photos and video). I don't think I'm going to put
more than an hour or so of video on the thing at any one time, so I can't
imagine 200-300 not being adequate.

My friend has a gig of RAM, and he can do video editing and multitaks
all at once without using nearly all of his resources. What the heck
would necessitate TWO gigs? Something I can't yet forsee, I guess.
Hell, I thought I wouldnt' need more than 128 for the longest time...

That mother board wouldn't come with an integrated graphics card,
would it? Reason I ask is that one of the pluses of the emachines
computer is that it does. I could get the thing for cheaper, use it for
video editing, games I have, etc., and when I decide I want to play
new games(6 months to a year) I can get a better card for less.

I have heard some varying stuff form different people: Some say intel
HT chips are btter for games, some say athlon 64's are... I want to do
both. I'm not going to be doing much video editing, just some home
movies.

I think I could get the emachines, and be perfectly happy. But if I build,
I'll spend a little more for a better overall system, that'll result in a longer
period of time till it's functionally obsolete.

I really appreciate your help - that list of Newegg items is very helpful.

Merc Sep 07, 2005, 03:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
RAID 1 is a method whereby you mirror one hard drive with another. This way you back up enything and everything in case your drive goes bad. The beauty of it is if one drive goes bad then you just keep motoring along with the mirror until you replace the bad drive and rebuild the array.

SATA is the new way of connecting drives to the mobo. Faster rate of transfer with much smaller cables.

Here is RAM stands now: 512MB is minimum, 1GB is preferred and 2GB is high end. Video editing takes a lot of RAM and 2GB is not overkill, but like I said you can get 2x512MB for under $100 and will be happy.

Intel and AMD both make great CPU's. Generally speaking gamers go for AMD and video editing types go for Intel. I am an AMD guy and prefer that CPU for its lower price to performance ratio and cooler running temps. If I was going to do a lot of video editing, though, I'd go for Intel and no it doesn't have onboard video and I would recommend you stay away from that. It really slows the CPU down.

What I laid out was a relatively high end machine that was comparable in price to the EMachine after a Video Card and PSU upgrade and still under $1000.

Merc
Dual Watercooling Loops
Max OC 4050MhHz at 1.65v
1 x 640
Gerritt Sep 07, 2005, 03:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Eric,

The T6522 is a Circuit City version of the T6520. I'd like to draw your attention to StanS in the following reviews....Very unhappy camper, and he was attempting to run the exact type of application that you would probably be using.

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/oid/127600/pageno/1/sortby/1/o...ew.do#tabs

The specifications and pricing look good, but I've ALWAYS HATED the video SHARED MEMORY scenerio.
This is a ATI RS480 Motherboard, and it looks like you'd have to go back to ATI for any driver/BIOS issues, not EMachines (I couldn't find any driver or bios info on the EMachines website).

I'm NOT saying don't go there with the T6520/6522 but be aware.

Ad Astra Per Aspera
Butch Searle-spratt Sep 07, 2005, 04:54pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Read Andrew's experience in adding both a nVidea and an ATI 800 card to the T6522. He downloaded the catalyst from the ATI web site (he furnishes the link ) and the 800 was up and running. Very straightforward. The nvid was a little more involved, but very do-able.
I think the original intent of this thread was to debate whether the T6522 was any good or not. Could it stand on it's own merit? I think that has been determined. Now the "builders" interject to debate if one would be better off building. To that I would add, BUILD if you know how. Why would anybody want to buy a computer off the shelf if they have the know how to build one. I know I certainly wouldn't. Unfortunatly for me, at the present time, I don't know squat about building one. That I would say, makes ones options somewhat limited. I can tell you this though, I have had the T6522 for about a month now, and it is working like a charm. Very pleased. The only glitch being that eMachines saw fit to leave out sonicencoder.msi from MCE. Once I came up to speed on that and found a download, life was grand.
Best Regards, Butch

Adam Kolak Sep 07, 2005, 04:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have to agree with Merc on the reasons for building a pc.

Adam Kolak
Moderator, Hardware Analysis
adam@hardwareanalysis.com
DFI LP P35-T2RS | Xeon Quad @ 3.2Ghz | 4GB DDR2-1000 | 8800GT 512MB | See Profile
Andrew Chu Sep 07, 2005, 05:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hehe:

Regarding overclocking of this board, looks like you can via ClockGen. Some dude called Cpuz made a custom program for it:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/printthread.php?t=53412&am...&pp=25

Probly wouldn't use it unless you reallly know what you're doin tho, and have massive fans.

Given all the debate here, I think both sides have good points, there is definitely much to be learned by building from scratch, though time and energy would add to those costs. This being my first real puter purchase (others being hand-me-downs) I think it's a good first step just learning about PSU's, BIOS's, Fan speeds, cpu temps and the like just trying to get this sucker optimized. That and budget constraints make this my ideal first step towards eventually building my own from scratch. Another thing is when I build from scratch (tried using monarch/newegg to build a hypothetical one) I am one of those people who can't help but drool at top of the line parts (or semi-top of the line to be fair), which inevitably push the price of the puter above and beyond my expected budget. Perhaps somewhere down the line when i have a good $1500 - $2000 to spend I'll get a whole spanking new system with a new monitor, sound card, the works. But for now, this emachine is plenty good.

That said, it's definitely not without it's problems. I think if you are going to upgrade the video card you are still better off going with an ATI, apparently ATI's next gen shader model 3.0 cards are just round the corner in late october, so that would work out well. In the meantime, i'm happy with my 6600 gt now that it's working but there are still minor issues. For instance, after standby mode, the monitor doesn't wake up. sigh. I think this is less a quality issue and more of a general compatibility issue. Guess you can't expect an nvidia card to fully cooperate when it's surrounded by ATI components.

Gerritt Sep 07, 2005, 05:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Butch,
Once again I'm not saying don't buy it.
If you look at page two of the link I previously posted you'll see that many of the owners/purchasers of this system are giving "less than glowing" reviews, not just StanS.
I've ALWAYS built my own, but I did get a Dell Optiplex for the wife, just so I wouldn't have to be 24/7 tech support. In the years since we got it, the only thing I had to do is turn off the bloody "quiet mode" operation of the HDD and it's been doing fine since then.
The kidlings' PC is more of an issue....but software, keeping them out of spaces, and having enough horsepower to do their thing is harder.

I posted some early experiences with EMachines, which applies to PeoplePC as well.
I'm not saying these experiences have carried over, just that there is some very recent dissatisfaction with the systems and if someone is looking to order one, they need to "be aware"....not "beware".

Ad Astra Per Aspera
Sherman Peabody Sep 16, 2005, 12:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
About the Stan S. complaint on MovieMaker crashing -

I went to the local Circuit City store and asked about this problem, but they knew nothing about it there. So then we brought up Movie Maker on the display model, clicked on Capture, and sure enough, it crashed - "Windows has encountered a problem..."

This bothers me a more than a bit, since I too want to be able to capture stuff from VHS and analog 8mm tapes, and if that isn't gonna work, I need to look at a different model.

The question is - has anybody who bought this machine been able to capture in Movie Maker? Did it work out of the box, or did you have to download an update of some kind?

By the way, in case it matters to anyone, the actual video chip in the display model (I looked inside) was the Xpress 400, not the 200.

I have a feeling that the problem with Movie Maker involves the tuner (I.e. the capture device) or its driver. The tuner was an add-on just for Circuit City (this model isn't on the eMachines site), and they may not quite have it integrated fully, whatever that means. :-)

Well, I'm thinking about buying one of these Saturday, but sure would like to get an answer on this problem if any current owner could help with that.

The alternative would be to get the T6410 for $429. It has a 3200+, 512M, 160GB, no tuner, and XP home. But still a good price, I think, and thats with the CRT and printer included. Then I would need to add another 512 of ram and some kind of capture device, but I would have $200 to work with for that.

Sherman Peabody Sep 16, 2005, 03:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
In fact, that T6410 was just the germ of a good idea.

The best option is the T6410 for $429, then add 512m of ram, and add some PCI Express video card that also has the analog capture capability. Isn't there an All-in-wonder that does that? Might even get a tuner in the deal. I bet I could get all of that (remember, no gaming required) for less than the $200 difference in price.

Anyway, I would just have to live with the slightly slower processor, slightly smaller hard drive, and no Media Center. But, you know, compared to what I have now (no, I'm not even going to tell you), any of this would be wonderful.

am bh Sep 19, 2005, 12:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The T6522 does it have TV out of any kind, seems good at the specs/price

Robert Campbell Sep 20, 2005, 04:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Sep 20, 2005, 04:33am EDT

Thanks to this forum I just purchased the last T6522 at the cicuit city near me. I watched the one before me go out the door and the salesman said he had sold three others on his shift. I wasn't going to get a new monitor but he checked for me and the emachines 15" lcd monitor had a $250 rebate when purchased with the system. The regular price is $269.99 so you get the monitor for $20. The special for the monitor didn't seem to be advertised anywhere so ask. So to futher the value of this system you get it with the monitor for $719. I think it will be a good second monitor for the tv feature of the computer. I appreciate some of the negative comments from some of you who may need a better system for gaming, etc. I'm a general contractor and use the computer in my home office. I also would like to be able to watch the Red Sox and football while I'm strapped to my desk as well as the internet and occasional game. I think for someone like me this will be more than enough computer and even allows me room to grow. Thanks again for everyone's input, it helped me a great deal.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.