Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1221 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s September 18 - 07:46pm EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Software /

Fixing "Error Performing Inpage Operation" error on my hard drive. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>
Hilick Hack Sep 22, 2007, 07:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Sep 22, 2007, 07:17am EDT

>> Re: Fixing "Error Performing Inpage Operation" error on my hard drive.
Try this Worked for me!

Got this from:
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=20b917114e...p;t=474977

1. Start > Run > type in cmd then click OK to get a command prompt.
2. Type in chkdsk e: /r (replace e: with the drive letter of your external hard drive).

This won't do any harm, it will fix errors on the disk and try to recover data from bad sectors.It might not solve the problem but it's worth a try.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Malcolm Carter Oct 02, 2007, 06:53am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all, same problem just occurred for me. I have an external Nexstar Lite HD with NTFS file system and have been running it through Desktop & Laptop both running XP Pro. I have taken previously posted advice for running checkdisk and it goes through stages 1-4 OK but on stage 5 "Verifying Free Space" it slows right down but eventually gets to 100% completed before showing the message "Unknown Error Occurred" and I still cannot access the drive to extract data. HELP - any more ideas please (for someone who uses computers but does not understand how they work!!)

Hilick Hack Oct 02, 2007, 09:26am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
That's a strange issues, because most of the time the Error says what is wrong with the procedure or hardware and/or software. So with this information I can't do much! I'm sorry. Try to find out what the Error is and google it.

Candyce Akers Oct 19, 2007, 10:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I don't know if you already found a solution, but if not, try this. Is your operating system Windows XP? If it is, go down to the start menu, and select Run. When the little box pops up in the bottom left hand corner, type chkdsk g:/f (the g is the letter that represents the letter of the hard drive - If it were hard drive F, you would type chkdsk f:/f) Hope this helps, it helped me...

Andrea Logan Oct 21, 2007, 11:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same problem, and I tried doing the chkdsk but it only goes through the first part. It gets to "File Verification complete" and then sits there and does nothing

Suspended User Oct 22, 2007, 01:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Andrea, boot from your Windows XP cd and run chkdsk c; /r in Windows XP Recovery console.

And let it sit for as long as you can if you believe it has stopped.

Tina Do Nov 22, 2007, 10:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
chkdsk /r is a miracle!!

Several months ago, I got the blue screen of death with error message:

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

STOP: 0x000000ED (0x82B5FC08, 0xC0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I researched this error and tried booting from CD and using the repair console. None of this worked and trying to use my computer to repair itself using <chkdsk /r> was futile - my computer couldn't even read it's own c: drive when I used the <dir> command.

I was at wits end. I had nearly given up and was going to just reformat and all. However, I thought: "Why am I using my own computer to fix itself?"...I really just wanted to recover some precious photos, so why not get another computer to read my damaged hard drive?

My files weren't worth $200 a computer repair tech would charge, so I decided to buy a $12 HD enclosure with USB connection. I connected my bad HD to a good working computer. I saw my HD as "e:" in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management > Disk Management, but it was blank under "File System", "Status" was "healthy", and "% Free" was 100%...which was really scary because this meant that my HD was empty :S....I came to another road block when I tried to open the e: drive:

e:/ is not accessable
error performing inpage operation

So I decided to open DOS command prompt by Start > Run, and typed in <cmd>.
At the prompt, I typed in <chkdsk e: /r>

This repair chkdsk procedure ran for several hours - it actually took over 12hrs. Many times I thought it had frozen and was tempted to just give up.

Finally though, it finished fixing bad sectors and corrupted files. I put my HD back into my computer and everything started up brilliantly! None of my files were lost or damaged! Of course, I immediately backed everything up.

I am writing this on my newly revived computer just minutes after fixing it and am just so happy that <chkdsk /r> fixed everything!!

Andrea Logan Nov 22, 2007, 06:18pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks, Tina, for sharing your story - that's EXACTLY what's happening to me. I'll hook up my harddrive again and re-run the chkdsk and just let it go all the way through (so long as it doesn't mess up, that is)

will Boling Dec 01, 2007, 08:55am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
One thing I would try:

Get a BartPE/Windows PE disk and boot your computer to the CD.
See if you can access the drive through that, if you can't open a command prompt and run the following command: chkdsk x:
Where x is the drive letter of your affected harddrive.
If this does not work, it is likely that your hard drive is toast and if you need information off of it, i would suggest a forensics company.

Clint Brown Feb 05, 2008, 12:05am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The CHKDSK solved my problem with a floppy disk too. It saved me a 2 hour drive to regain the data so thanks heaps guys

Joe Hack Mar 13, 2008, 10:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
This has been the most helpful and friendliest thread I think I've ever read in a computer tech support forum. Thanks to all who've shared their experiences.

Just figured I'd share my experience using the chkdsk utility on a bad drive. My 2 year old Western Digital 500gb My Book external hard drive gave me the "Error Performing Inpage Operation" message the other day (in the middle of a USB problem I was having). After reading this thread and being reminded of the chkdsk utility (it's been years since a drive died on me), I ran it, but got no salvation. It looked like it was going to fix every thing, but then gave me a message at the end talking about running out of disk space to complete repairs. Anyone know what that means? Thanks.

D M Mar 14, 2008, 05:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Exact same problem as Joe Hack. I have a two year old Western Digital mass storage 500GB "My Book" which gave me the same "error performing inpage operation" message. The only difference is at the time I had my processor constantly running at 100% for a bittorrent download which wasn't even going on my external drive, but rather on my PC's hard drive. Afterwards I kept recieving an alert on the bottom right of the screen saying something like E:/$nfs or $nst or something of the like could not be written to my external drive. I tried the chkdsk/r and it almost worked but at the last gasp it said "insufficient disk space to fix the bad clusters file. CHKDSK Aborted." Any further suggestions or reasons as to why this happened and how I can recover over 100GB of backed-up data I had on the drive? I'd hate to scrap it and buy a new one. Some of the data in it was not on my PC at all to save PC space.

D M Mar 14, 2008, 05:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok, things just got a lot weirder. I tried to run chkdsk/r again before giving up for the night and DOS said the type of file system is RAW. Now, when I ran chkdsk/r the first time, a few minutes ago, it said it was NTFS, which I had converted the drive to (it was a FAT32 file system when I bought it). Now DOS says the file system is RAW... what in blue blazes?

D M Mar 14, 2008, 05:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I went to Computer Management and decided to try and Explore my troubled drive. I got the original error "windows was unable to save all the data for the file E:\Mft. The data was lost..." and so on, then a small window pops up saying "E:\ is not accessible. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error." So... there are many warnings, but no conclusions. The drive is also listed as 100% free, which is false because it is only about 3% free (3GB left out of 100). The total 500GB is partitioned into three 100GB partitions and one 200GB partition. Sorry if I'm chain-posting or anything, I'm just trying to provide as much specific information as possible.

Andrea Logan Mar 14, 2008, 01:12pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
chkdsk still would not work for me, but this did!!!

I downloaded knoppix (a live boot CD) and hooked up my unusable HD in a usb enclosure, and also hooked up another external HD. Insert the knoppix DVD, turn off the computer, hook up both exterand HD & turn on the computer

Using knoppix I was able to access all my files :D

Evan Winograd Mar 20, 2008, 08:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I ran chkdsk i: /r (for my I: drive of course) and 2 hours later, I had 168 GB of data again :)

Thank you very much for the help...it turns out theres nothing too important on the hard drive, but not knowing what I lost would have bothered me for a loooong time :)

Thanks again!
~Evan

rishi seth Apr 19, 2008, 01:45am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
God bless You ... chkdsk got me my data back!!! You beauty!!!

David Phan Apr 26, 2008, 09:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I want to start off by saying that CHKDSK WORKS!!!!!!!! But for me the problem wasn't solved as straightforward as it was for other.
Secondly I want to thank John M and Candyce Akers for telling all of us how to solve this problem. And thanks to everyone else who participate in this post and reaffirming the effectiveness of chkdsk.

Now let me tell you about my situation. A few weeks ago I was using my computer( hewlet t packard Windows XP) and I remember it was making this funny sound. And it made this sound like maybe 4 or 5 times on various occasions. Then boom a few weeks ago I turn on the computer and it says I'm missing a BIOS file and it would never load up the Windows screen . So the other day i try opening it with an external USB but it takes forever for it to give a response. And while its attempting to open it hardly makes a noise (it's almost silent) in the external enclosure. Normally you could hear something when you are opening a drive. Finally after a few minutes it reads "f:/ Error Performing In page Operation."

So after reading the posts on this GREAT SITE. I first tried <chkdsk f: /r> ("f" being the drive of my external USB )

I did so by 1. Going to Start > then Run > the I typed in cmd then click OK .
2. Then at the command prompt I typed in chkdsk f: /r
I did that twice but it would never get past stage 1 of the 5 stages. At most it went up to 30 percent.

Then I read the post by Candyce Akers I tried the <chkdsk f:/f> ( I don't what the difference between this method and the other chkdsk but there is a difference)
Anyhow I also did this twice and it would never get past the 2nd of the 3 stages.

SO .... I gave it a rest last night.
And I tried again this morning.

I started by doing <chkdsk f:/f> once . Again it wouldn't go to the 3rd stage
I immediately followed it with <chkdsk f: /r>. And I don't know what happened but this time there was a change. First it went through the five stages and then it went up to 100 percent
After a long 3 hours it stated the following
" Windows replaced bad clusters" (it said this numerous times during the process.. it didnt say this in any of my previous attempts )
"Free space verification complete"
"Correcting errors in master file"
"Windows has made correction to file system"

And it WORKED!!!!!! I was able to recover almost all my files . Except for 2 or 3 photos. My harddrive is a maxtor and it is 50 gigs big. I was able to recover about all 4 gigs of photos and documents. The rest of my hard drive was filled with programs that was also recovered but was not my main concern.

SO TO SURMISE
1. I did chkdsk f: /r at the command prompt. (f being whatever your broken drive is)
2. Then I did chkdsk f: /r at the command prompt for a second time.
3. I did chkdsk f:/f
3. I tried chkdsk f:/f again
4. I slept
5. I tried chkdsk f:/f for a third time
6. I finished it off with chkdsk f: /r
7. I backed up my files . THE END .

D M May 08, 2008, 05:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Mine still gets to the 100% last part of step 5 of 5 and finishes with "unable to backup the bad clusters file, operation aborted." :/ I'm using 93GB of 100GB which is probably why.

Ghana Shyam Rai May 08, 2008, 06:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If you have "Error Performing Inpage Operation" ..its 100% usefull command..
1. Start > Run > type in cmd then click OK to get a command prompt.
2. Type in chkdsk e: /r (replace e: with the drive letter of your external hard drive).

This won't do any harm, it will fix errors on the disk and try to recover data from bad sectors. It might not solve the problem but it's worth a try.

Best Wishes
GS

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.