Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 753 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 01 - 12:09am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Software /

Fixing "Error Performing Inpage Operation" error on my hard drive. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>
keven robinson Nov 26, 2008, 11:16am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Fixing "Error Performing Inpage Operation" error on my hard drive.
Yep, I believe it is "normal". I had this display during chkdsk thingy but when finnished, i had not lost any files at all. (can take a few hours though!)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Paul Everett Nov 26, 2008, 11:28am EST Report Abuse
It finished, but at the end I got an "Unknown Error Occurred" message, same as a previous poster.
I'm trying chkdsk e: /f now and will do another /r when finished as another poster did.
Cheers

sunil chumber Nov 28, 2008, 02:37pm EST Report Abuse

Gavin Collins Jan 13, 2009, 09:24pm EST Report Abuse
Ok I had this problem with my dads hard drive
I fixed it
Wanna know how, here how i did it
1. Start > Run > type in cmd then click OK to get a command prompt.
2. Type in chkdsk e: /r (replace e: with the drive letter of your external hard drive).

This won't do any harm, it will fix errors on the disk and try to recover data from bad sectors. It might not solve the problem but it's worth a try.

That fixed it
Good Luck,
Gavin

E P Jan 18, 2009, 01:34am EST Report Abuse
Hello everyone. My laptop crashed, so I bought a USB hard drive enclosure thinking that I could at least salvage the pictures from the hard drive. But after plugging in the hard drive enclosure to my other laptop, I got the "Error Performing Inpage operation".

I tried the chkdsk e: /r and got the following messages during stage 1 of 5:
"File record segment 102720 is unreadable."
"File record segment 102721 is unreadable."
"File record segment 102722 is unreadable."
"File record segment 102723 is unreadable."

Then checkdisk went on to stage 2, and gave me this message:
"Deleting an index entry from index $0 of file 25."
"An unspecified error occurred."

After that, check disk stopped, and i was back at the command prompt. So I tried chkdsk e: /f, and got the message "Cannot open volume for direct access." I tried chkdsk e: /r again and got the same message - "Cannot open volume for direct acess."

Anyway, I tried clicking on the E: drive and I didn't get the Inpage operation error anymore. But now it looks like there's nothing in the hard drive at all! Did the checkdisk utility delete all the data in the hard drive? Is there a way to recover what's been deleted? Sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to be as detailed as possible. I appreciate all your help. Thanks.

S Mendoza Jan 23, 2009, 11:46am EST Report Abuse
I had the same issue with that notorious blue screen. Unmountable boot volume error. I checked microsoft support and it had there to use chkdsk /r from the Windows Recovery Console. It starts and goes up to 75% and then reverts to 50%. It does this for a couple of times and from what I've read on the internet that chkdsk should not take that long. I did an online chat with Microsoft's tech support and when they found out it my OS was preinstalled by Dell then they just passed the buck and asked me to call DELL's Tech Support. I called them and they did a hard drive diagnostic and it passed and he recommended that I reinstall the OS and that the chkdsk command will not help. But that would mean erasing all data (including 5 years worth of family pics and videos!!!) He recommended that I go to Geek Squad which I found charges quite alot ($100-159 for data backup if the drive is good OR $259-$1500 for data recovery on a dead drive)

So I tried chkdsk /r again and was getting the same results. Those individuals who said it took 12 hours or so....does it do the same 50-75% back to 50% again? Also when I was in the Windows Recovery prompt and type the DIR command it returns an error that it is having problems with enumeration. Does anyone know what this means? I'm hoping that it's not saying the HDD is dead.

So I gave up on that and bought a HD enclosure from Radio Shack (not too lucky on this and spend $40). I hooked it up to my laptop and it automatically found the driver (of course). For some reason the laptop froze for a minute.... hoping that the 2 OS are not in conflict. I checked the directory and it does show the external drive but I get the dreaded "Error inpage operation" when I try to access it. Also when I try to stop it so I can safely remove the drive it gives me an error that it can't since it is being used when in fact I wasn't doing anything.

Then I found this post. I will try running chkdsk /r from my work laptop this time. Hopefully it doesnt have any security feature which will prevent me from doing that. If not then I will probably have to buy a new HDD install it in my PC and hook up the old HDD as an external.

I was going over the microsoft support website this morning and it does say chkdsk /f has a risk of potentially losing data. I'm no expert but I'm assuming that if it can't recover the cluster(s) that it will mark it bad and thus loosing access to that information.

Also from the posts that chkdsk is only useable for people who have not maxed out or nearly maxed out their HDD. I have probably around 50 gig on my 80gig and hopefully is enough to compensate.

I will try this all again this weekend and will post an update.

Wish me luck! My wife will hang me if I can't recover 5 years (though I've backed up almost 3 yrs previously) worth of family pictures and videos!

S Mendoza Jan 23, 2009, 12:21pm EST Report Abuse
One more thing I forgot to disclose is that when I'm in the Windows Recovery prompt and type the DIR command it returns an error that it is having problems with enumeration. Does anyone know what this means? I'm hoping that it's not saying the HDD is dead. :(

Andrea Logan Jan 23, 2009, 01:38pm EST Report Abuse
if it doesn't work, see my post (aboubt 3/4 of the way down page 2 about using Knoppix -- it worked great for me, to get my stuff off my harddrive :D

S Mendoza Jan 23, 2009, 02:45pm EST Report Abuse
Andrea,

Did your error stem from the unmountable boot volume error or just the error in inpage operation? Was that drive your primary? Which software did you buy? Was it the full or just the Windows recovery part?

Nathan Gaudreau Jan 25, 2009, 06:20pm EST Report Abuse
Hi Everyone,

I am getting the exact same problems, plus other ones. Basically I can't access a lot of my files on my LaCie external harddrive (which is a recent problem). Some files I can, while others I cannot. So I bought a new WD external to copy the files over, and I can't because it keeps failing. It usually starts copying the files, then at some point it fails and starts saying that it can't find the specified files on the harddrive, even though I can see them right there.

So I ran chkdsk /r on the drive, and it got to stage 4, then I got this error:
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
The disk does not have enough space to replace bad clusters
detected in file 76 of name .

An unspecified error occurred.

I checked and for some reason my harddrive, which used to have 265GB free, has now 0 bytes free. I ran JDisk and that shows that I should have 265GB free as well, so I'm not sure what's going on.. What can I do about that? I don't want to delete anything to make room when I shouldn't have to..

Right now I'm in the process of running chkdsk /f to see if that does anything. It is about 24% complete.

Help! :(

Nathan Gaudreau Jan 25, 2009, 07:10pm EST Report Abuse
So I ran chkdsk /f and it actually showed me my 256GB of free space again!

But then I ran chkdsk /r again, and again got stopped at stage 4:
detected in file 76 of name \e\DOWNLO~1\Pictures\Omid\OM4908~1.JPG.

detected in file 98 of name .

What can I do?

Nathan Gaudreau Jan 25, 2009, 08:25pm EST Report Abuse
Sorry for so many different replies.. but I tried again and here's what happened:

Ran chkdsk /f
C:\>chkdsk x: /f
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is NateGodd External.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
51136 file records processed.
File verification completed.
0 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
0 EA records processed.
0 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
173547 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
5 unindexed files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
51136 security descriptors processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
1577 data files processed.
Windows has checked the file system and found no problems.

488392033 KB total disk space.
218809600 KB in 40233 files.
75264 KB in 1579 indexes.
64 KB in bad sectors.
118369 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
269388736 KB available on disk.

65536 bytes in each allocation unit.
7631125 total allocation units on disk.
4209199 allocation units available on disk.

Ran chkdsk /r:
C:\>chkdsk x: /r
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Volume label is NateGodd External.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
51136 file records processed.
File verification completed.
0 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.
0 EA records processed.
0 reparse records processed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
173547 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
5 unindexed files processed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
51136 security descriptors processed.
Security descriptor verification completed.
1577 data files processed.
detected in file 76 of name .

Ran them again:
C:\>chkdsk x: /r
Cannot open volume for direct access.

C:\>chkdsk x: /f
Cannot open volume for direct access.

Nathan Gaudreau Jan 25, 2009, 10:19pm EST Report Abuse

Nathan Gaudreau Jan 26, 2009, 06:15pm EST Report Abuse
Ok another update..

So I ran chkdsk /f and chkdsk /r again, but this time on a different computer. chkdsk /f completed successfully, and chkdsk /r is still running. It has been going for nearly 24 hrs now and is at 14% complete. Unfortunatelly I checked it about 12 hours ago and it was at 14% at that point also, so I'm afraid its not doing anything.. but I don't want to stop it in case it is. Maybe I'll leave it over tonight and see if there is any more progress..

Nathan Gaudreau Jan 29, 2009, 02:42pm EST Report Abuse
Just to update..

It has been running for around 3-4 days now straight, and it is only at around 8600 out of 51000 files processed. At this rate it is going to take a couple of months to finish... This can't be normal, can it?

Good thing is that it is actually doing something.. I just hope that after all of this I'll be able to recover the files and put them on a new external drive.

As a side note, I called the ppl at drivesavers.com (who LaCie suggested) and they charge somewhere around $2000 to recover the files in about a week. Pretty friggin steep

S Mendoza Feb 02, 2009, 10:27am EST Report Abuse
Nathan, I called Best Buy(geeksquad) and if the drive is still good then they can backup the data ($100 up to 9 gig and $149 if it goes over). If they can't then you have an option of having them send it to their 3rd party vendor to open it up and do the gruelling file recovery which is runs from $300-1500.

During the first days of the HDD failure I tried chkdsk /r a number of times and it wouldn't go past 75% and always reverted to 50%. I stopped and tried it a couple of times with the same end result. I read somewhere that chkdsk /f can result in data loss if you stop it midway so I didn't dare try it.

S Mendoza Feb 02, 2009, 10:36am EST Report Abuse
I ordered the Knoppix disc but couldn't wait so I decided to buy a new PC and connected the old HDD to it via the enclosure. I was fortunate enough that there was no physcial damage to the media so I was able to copy all the pics and vids to my new HDD. It turned out it had a "DOWNLOADER" virus, which is a replicating virus and damages system and boot files.

I suggest you try the Knoppix boot disc ($8 including shipping fee) since you're having problems pulling the files now and you don't have enough free space on your HDD for chkdsk to move it to good clusters. Hopefully it works and that it's not damaged beyond repair. Good luck!

Nathan Gaudreau Feb 02, 2009, 10:41am EST Report Abuse
This is probably a stupid question, but does it matter that I'm running Windows?

S Mendoza Feb 02, 2009, 10:48am EST Report Abuse
If you are referring to Knoppix then NO since it's a standalone boot disc with modules you can use for data recovery. You will actually have to set your PC to boot from a disc instead of it's regular routine. I think F8 or F12 will pull that option when it's booting up. Look on the top right hand side of your screen.

Nathan Gaudreau Feb 02, 2009, 10:52am EST Report Abuse
Thank you! I am downloading the ISO from their site now.

Another stupid question.. but why should this work? If something is wrong with the drive itself, or the data is corrupt, why would the OS make a difference?

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.