Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 808 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 01 - 12:10am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Software /

Fixing "Error Performing Inpage Operation" error on my hard drive. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>
S Mendoza Feb 02, 2009, 10:58am EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Fixing "Error Performing Inpage Operation" error on my hard drive.
There's no guarantee. A previous post from Andrea Logan mentioned Knoppix worked for her. Since you're stuck might as well give it a try? I'm really hoping your HDD is not physically damaged. Best of luck!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Nathan Gaudreau Feb 02, 2009, 11:08am EST Report Abuse
Thank you so much! I will keep you updated with my results.

Nathan Gaudreau Feb 02, 2009, 07:18pm EST Report Abuse
No luck with Knoppix.. I can access the files I was able to access on Windows, but nothing else. Not only that, if I try to copy a folder with some corrupt files in it, it locks up the drive..

Gabriel Ibitoye Feb 03, 2009, 04:55am EST Report Abuse
sory, what was the actual problem? if you said you can acces your hardrive, alot of thing can leds to that but getting the actual fact will give the right solution to me

Andrea Logan Feb 03, 2009, 11:07am EST Report Abuse
I'll try to find the site that gave me very detailed instructions of how to get my files, using Knoppix...it really did work!! I wasn't able to get ANY files using windows, and I got all of them using the Knoppix boot disc.

Aha, here it is: http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

Even comes with pics. Some of my stuff was in different locations, but this was a HUGE help!

Nathan Gaudreau Feb 03, 2009, 11:11am EST Report Abuse
That would be most helpful, thank you!

Right now I am able to retrieve some of my files to my new external HD.. but the problem is that the files which are corrupt end up locking up the HD with the corrupted files.. so I am unable to just copy entire folders at a time. I almost have to go one file at a time and try to copy them over. It sucks because it will take forever and I still can't get all my files.

Andrea Logan Feb 03, 2009, 11:20am EST Report Abuse
Added the link to my previous post -- here it is, too: http://www.shockfamily.net/cedric/knoppix/

Nathan Gaudreau Feb 03, 2009, 11:41am EST Report Abuse
Thanks for the link. It looks like it explains how to get the data off in the same way that I've been doing.. so I guess I have physical damage on my drive. sucks. most places charge like $2000 to recover the data. I just want my pictures back :(

Tom Hood Feb 14, 2009, 03:40pm EST Report Abuse
>> Re: Fixing Inpage Operation error using chkdsk worked
Hi all, had to join just to post my results. Laptop wouldn't boot so bought a new desktop, but wanted to get the files off of, and continue using as a storage drive, the 60gb drive that came out of the laptop. Bought the external case as many on here have, hooked it up through USB, and got the dreaded inpage error. Found this thread, did the chkdsk e:/r, and I have the drive back. My question now is, how long is this drive going to last? lol don't want to use it if it's on it's last leges. I think like some others on here, a virus comprmised the drive. I'll run a scan to be sure. Anyhoo, thanks for the help, and here are the results from my chkdsk, may help someone. My drive is a 60gb, had about 9gb free, and chkdsk took about 2 hours to complete.

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas>chkdsk e:/r
The type of the file system is NTFS.

CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 5)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 5)...
Correcting error in index $I30 for file 14073.
Correcting error in index $I30 for file 14073.
Sorting index $I30 in file 14073.
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is recovering lost files.
Recovering orphaned file scanlogs (14130) into directory fi
Recovering orphaned file update (14352) into directory file
Recovering orphaned file emc (14357) into directory file 14
Recovering orphaned file AvgAm (14362) into directory file
Recovering orphaned file admincli (14516) into directory fi
Recovering orphaned file Cfg (18907) into directory file 14
Recovering orphaned file Log (18912) into directory file 14
Recovering orphaned file Lsdb (23615) into directory file 1
Recovering orphaned file dumps (83748) into directory file
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 5)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal...
Usn Journal verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying file data (stage 4 of 5)...
File data verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying free space (stage 5 of 5)...
Free space verification is complete.
Adding 1 bad clusters to the Bad Clusters File.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
Correcting errors in the Volume Bitmap.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.

58597055 KB total disk space.
47860820 KB in 124885 files.
57428 KB in 8380 indexes.
4 KB in bad sectors.
320975 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
10357828 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
14649263 total allocation units on disk.
2589457 allocation units available on disk.

C:\Documents and Settings\Thomas>

albo murucomus Feb 18, 2009, 07:15am EST Report Abuse
Thanks guys,
CHKDSK worked wonders for me.. I could no longer access my hard disk partition but im now able to do so.
Thanks again

Ahmed Azar Mar 22, 2009, 03:34am EDT Report Abuse
i have a 110GB HDD in my Dell D630 Latitude running XP. I have partioned my drive into C & D. Yesterday while working my system got stuck, got the blue screen of death and after that my HDD wont boot. I hooked the HDD to my Desktop and was able to see both the drive but neither of them is accessible. Because all my data was on the 2nd partition i.e., D i formatted and re-installed XP on C drive. each time i reboot the system XP runs the system check up on D but i am not able to access D drive. keep getting the message "Error performing inpage operation" i have tried CHKDSK D: /f and whatever else i could but i am not able to recover my data. I could sure use some help here.

Matt Trautman Apr 11, 2009, 07:13pm EDT Report Abuse
Thanks a bunch fi he help!! For redundancy on hdd data try getting an extra hdd with the same space as the one you want a backup of and get a raid controller either sata or ide, (whichever you have) and run RAID1 it will mirror the first disk so you have an exact backup of that disk.

Marti Sherrill May 22, 2009, 04:43pm EDT Report Abuse
The hard drive that I was having issues with the quoted error WAS my backup. I so appreciate all the helpful info I found here. I do backup my info regularly, but it was the backup that came up with the error performing inpage operation. I had since reformatted my regular drive and was trying to get the backup info back on my main drive.

By the way - it worked beautifully!!!!!!

Divi k May 26, 2009, 11:29pm EDT Report Abuse
Hey thanks a lot John!!!!...Even i had the same problem with my Maxtor one touch mini 120GB hard drive....I ran the chkdsk command ,It took few hours for completion and now my drive is accessible :) ...I really appreciate your help....

-Divi

G Pineda Jul 01, 2009, 10:49am EDT Report Abuse
hi guys.... just try the chkdsk j:/r (j: is the letter of external HDD) i run this for 3 hours and it works brilliantly now.... now i'm making a copy all of my data, just incase it will happen again....

Thank you to everyone.... it help me a lot and saved a lot of money, i was so close to bring my external HDD to the data recovery company here....

Dj Gerarld

Ivan L Jul 28, 2009, 02:36am EDT Report Abuse
John M said:
It works perfectly lol

This is what the guy says to do:
1. Start > Run > type in cmd then click OK to get a command prompt.
2. Type in chkdsk e: /r (replace e: with the drive letter of your external hard drive).

This won't do any harm, it will fix errors on the disk and try to recover data from bad sectors. It might not solve the problem but it's worth a try.

I also registered here to thank the recommendation of the use of CheckDisk command 'chkdsk c: /r (c: = name of HDD)'

It solved my problem of a Windows XP Boot Loop when my computer crashed and would continuously boot to the safe mode screen and whatever option I chose, it would restart whilst windows was loading at the splash screen.

When the Windows XP install and repair function did not work because it did not find windows xp installed on a hard drive partition, I did the following:

1. Took out hard drive and connected to another computer as a slave
2. Windows XP sensed the hardware on boot up but I could not access C:\ partition due to ' Error Performing Inpage Operation '
3. I then did the chkdsk c: /r (c: = name of HDD) in the command prompt
4. Waited around 3-4 hours
5. Fix was complete!

Hope this helps other people who were in the situation as me, about to give up! :X
Thanks again! :D

Jesper Goodley Dannisoee Jul 30, 2009, 09:01am EDT Report Abuse
Hi to all

While writing this THANKS to all, my repaired HDD is now accessible after performing the ckhdsk e: /r twice. First attempt failed after step 4:5, but second try ended perfectly.

So once again thants to all who contributed to this thread.

Jesper, Denmark

mega lim Aug 11, 2009, 04:46am EDT Report Abuse
so get this,i tried chkdsk h:/r,h: being my corrupt drive.it gets to stage 4 of 5,and it stays there.says 0 percent complete,for about 2 hours.is it normal for it to stay that way so long?hard drive's only 5-6% full,so it shouldn't take a long time does it?

Sven Schelwach Aug 18, 2009, 11:14am EDT Report Abuse
Hello,

I have the same persistent error performing inpage operation. Now I tried to fix the drive performing a chkdsk as described by all the users here in the forum. Unfortunately my command line says "access denied" after typing chkdsk e: /r

What should I do?

Sven Schelwach Aug 18, 2009, 07:28pm EDT Report Abuse
In addition to my post:

when I connect the external drive and start my computer, windows performs a check which only has 3 steps - not 5 as described here.
The check say it is finished, but the computer does not start up afterward.

Any ideas?

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.