Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 2604 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s January 21 - 06:14pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Toshiba Satellite P25-s520 AC Power Problem 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>
Sean Bilbo Jan 11, 2006, 11:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite P25-s520 AC Power Problem
yup I've got a p30-rg1 or something like that and this problem lately has been VERY ANNOYING. i have yet to take off the case and clean it, but hopefully that will fix my problem. The left power light is green most of the time- if it goes off, I can wiggle it and it will flicker till I get it just right, leave it there, and it will work. The right "battery" light, which is ususally red for charging and green for fully charged, will usually be the normal red or soon green as I try to keep the battery fully charged at all times, but after useage for between 20 and 60 minutes, it will just go off. Left light still green, along with middle, but nothing on right. It says it's running off the battery, and it is cause it's discharging, and i can't do anything about it. yeah yeah ive just repeated the same thing every one of u has, but yeah w/e. so i guess tomorrow, after failing many assignments and not being able to study for 2 tests cause of this annoying problem, ill try the 'wrapping the plug in alluminum foil' and then disassembling it and blowing it out with me air compressor thingymajigger. thanks to all that said this many times already,...alrighty then.....

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Sean Bilbo Jan 12, 2006, 08:46am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
ok yah my cd/dvd optical drive rarely works either. most of the time i put sometin in - prefferably a cd or dvd or the sort - and it doesnt achnoledge that its in. nor does it spin, make noise, nothing. this laptop has been pretty sweet and is fast and plays every game I could imagine, but i havent had it long and its already having problems. boo hoo. i sure know what brand of computer im NOT buying again. fast or not, it has to work first....geez.

Sean Bilbo Jan 13, 2006, 06:03pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
yet again this highly annoying problem disturbs the simple idea that maybe someone can actually have a computer that hasen't been released still containing common errors and faulty components. *sigh* when will toshiba learn. windows, too for that matter. my faithfulness to windows is dwindling in its stupidity and complication, as apple gets more and more simpler and problem-free. but apples suck too. so what has this world comming to. i personnaly can build a better computer than all of these stupid, faulty name brands like "toshiba" and "dell" or whatever can. geez. I think im gonna have to resort to that, too.

well, getting back to the topic, yes Biblo is not my real last name, but thats yet again not the topic. last night I attempted to disassemble my laptop, by unscrewing all of the screws on the bottom, and prying the cheeply made plastic from the base. all this did, however, was make a rather suprising number of snapping sounds, pried up the sides, but never really came up in the middle, around the generic outline of where the kepboard lies on the base. So I just got my aircompressor and blew into it from there, through the many hovercraft-like fans, through the cheeply made motherboard, and through the ports. I swear this thing is like 10 pounds lighter. after blowing crap, amoung a crapload of dust and dirt out, I was finally satisfied, and re-assembled it. but the piece of crap still didnt work

so today I got some low-grain sand paper and cleaned up the port on the power cord, and inside the connection, and it worked when i plugged it in at first, but when i turned it on, it immediately stopped working

so its apparently in the connection with the power cord, but what to do now....THOW THE PIECE OF CRAP AWAY!?? SMASH THE PIECE OF CRAP WITH A HAMMER!?? I DUNO, BUT BOTH ARE SEEMING VERY APPROPIATE RIGHT NOW....

for now, later...

Syd Del Jan 16, 2006, 04:10am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Toshiba Satellite P10-804 AC Power Problem

Tim Cayer Jan 17, 2006, 01:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Sean Bilbo Jan 17, 2006, 05:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Couldn't agree with you more.....AND I BETTER NOT EVER CATCH ANY OF YOU BUYING FROM TOSHIBA AGAIN....DUN DUN DUN

VJ Patel Jan 17, 2006, 06:40pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
We will all experience great pleasure boycotting Toshiba and I too am 100% behind you.

Bringing you upto date with the situation of my laptop, it is now fixed, all done myself.
I figured that the problem was the nib of the AC power adapter. It was'nt making full contact inside so we replaced the nib, and it works wonders now.

Hope you all good luck with your own.

Sean Bilbo Jan 17, 2006, 09:52pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Oh good...that sounds like something that would help me too...I've called toshiba support at least 4 times, the first 3 I could hardly understand their very foreign accents (lol) and they were very difficult, stating very strange rules and guidlines, such as that they, being the Canadian toshiba support, could not send me anything to the US (I bought it in canada, so apparently I have to call the CANADIAN support....doesnt really make sense, but they said thats the only place they can help me at). today, however, they didnt state these obscure things, I understood what the lady was saying for once, and she looked it up and said that I have a warranty good for another 11 months or so. yippee. so if I can congour up a credit card from my parents to act as colatoral that I will send in my old power cable, they will send me a new one, apparently, free, under warranty. cool. except now my CD drive wont spin CD's and read them, and my recovery CD wont work....lovely.

Hector Malagon Jan 28, 2006, 02:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
!!!SOLUTION!!!

okay, this does not concern *all* of the problems in this topic -- only the problem I had

It seems that a "loose jack" was to blame for a lot of problems with the Toshiba Satellite series. After several AGONIZING months wiggling 'n' proping the DC power plug, I decided to get it fixed or break my computer beyond all repair.

I started by replacing the plug. The plug and the jack are made by different manufacturers, so I figured that getting a better-fitting plug would work -- IT DID NOT HELP

So next, I decided to replace the jack. As it turns out, the jack Toshiba uses does not have a sense pin. Instead, it seems that the computers determine whether to use AC power or battery based on current draw (i.e., active feedback circuitry). Most every other jack use a 3-pin setup which uses a ground/open signal to indicate if the thing is plugged in. Either way, attempting to change out the jack is an exercise in futility.

Finally, I noticed a tab on the bottom shell of the computer (the plastic bottom). A sheetmetal ground/sheild plane had been attached to the inside of the computer, with a central contact point at the DC jack.

Presumably, the sense circuitry for the power jack requires a certain amount of negative current flow in order to "see" that the power plug is connected.

(AND NOW MY SOLUTION) I simply bent the tab to ensure better contact with the jack's sheilding and the the ground plane. I think this may be the problem a number of posters have been describing. The ground-jack connection is very flimsy and seems like it would be the first to fail in the system.

I hope this helps!!
8D

Amy Bilton Feb 03, 2006, 01:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I was having the same issue. Like some other people, I found that it was a contact problem. I've wrapped the nib of my AC adapter with a layer of conductive tape and now the laptop is working great.

Ron Kings Feb 09, 2006, 09:59am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Satellite A75-S209 1 year old just started having the power problem mentioned here.
Thought the jack deal might be causing problem.
If I shut-down system the battery light comes right on and stays on and charges.
So that sort of eliminates a jack problem ?
Is there a conflict between Toshiba Power management and the Windows Xp system ?

Called Toshiba Help desk but that not much help.
This laptop will NOT run without battery in place.

Hope someone comes up with solution.

Syd Del Feb 09, 2006, 10:05am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 09, 2006, 10:18am EST

VJ Patel Feb 09, 2006, 10:06am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had exactly the same problem: After 1 year, doesn't charge when in use (battery discharges), and only charges when shut down.

I did actually change the AC adapter nib, and it did solve the problem. I know its not logical, but it did work in the end. So I think you should give it a try.

Lance Thaut Feb 16, 2006, 03:28am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Model P15-S420
Same issues as all the posts above. My insight is that I have two power cables, one for work, and one for home. One works better than the other, so that points to the cord. By the way, these are cords #2 and #3 for me. The first one started "singing" to me. Wierd noises coming from the brick. This phenomena is not recommended by Toshiba. I think their first words were, "how close are you standing to it?".
I do think this issue of power cycling led to the demise of my battery, and I have just purchased one for $65.00 off UBID.com (great price). The new battery works very well, but does not solve the issue.
Took the computer completely apart. So many screws that at one point I looked at the coffee table and had a panic attack, but it did all go back together. I did not find anything cracked or unsoldered, but now need to go back and check out the little negative ground tab the previous poster described. Panic attack #2, but I'll do it.
All in all, it's probably the cord. I think that the cord must be secure and solid or it does not carry all the power required to run the laptop and charge the battery, so the low voltage signals something to continue drawing from the battery. Once the battery is dead, the little lights will come on, but if the cords not carrying the juice, the computer doesn't go whirrrrrrr!
Oh yea, don't blow out the dust unless you really have the computer opened up, or the heat vents out of the computer. No better way to make things worse than to blow all that dirt and dust farther into the Motherboard.

Tim Cayer Feb 16, 2006, 07:05am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

R Warner Feb 17, 2006, 11:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Please read the forum posts at http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/38964/
Please read the forum posts at http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/38964/

It's the same problem, but with a different model. I can repair the problem for you. The details are on the forum. I am also working on a class action against Toshiba for the defect.

Randy Warner

Pras Chak Feb 22, 2006, 02:27am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I also have a similar problem with my sattelite laptop thought I haven't tried the methods suggested. I think class action suit sounds right as these problems seem to be there quite often. let me know if you need any help.

Gary Walker Feb 27, 2006, 03:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
My 18 month old Toshiba P25 DC power socket has recently shown similar symptoms as described by others - plug appeared to be looser than normal. Intermittent problems with electrical circuits are invariably caused by a bad contact causing a loss of continuity. When I wiggled the adapter plug I could get either the blue power light, the orange / blue battery light or both to light together. I took the bottom fan cover off to investigate what was going on at the back of the power socket - the central power pin has a right angled elbow which extends downwards out of the back of the socket and ithe pin is soldered directly onto the mother board. What I noticed on mine was the plastic body of the power socket has slackened at the back (probably due to 18 months strain on the power plug / socket assembly due to trailing & tugging the power adaptor with the machine on my lap). Because it is loose this has allowed tugging / pulling to put strain on the central pin - motherboard soldered joint, which has detached (but is still held in position) from the mother board (it now behaves a bit like a dry soldered joint). I can get the power back on by wiggling the plug basically because I can find a position where the pin / motherboard broken soldered joint make a good contact. I suspect the soldered joint picks up the battery and power rails at different points on the broken soldered joint; hence why I sometimes get one, other or both operating?

I temporarily fixed the problem by wedging the loose socket assembly in one position (at the rear) and adding a drop of araldite to hold it in position. The basic problem of the broken soldered joint still exists. I need to work out how to get to the soldered joint to fix it. In the meantime, my tempoary repair seems to be holding.

Hope this helps.

6carrera6

M. Tatar Mar 07, 2006, 12:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite P15-S409 AC Power Problem
Same problem as you all have been talking about twice. Called Toshiba and they said they would fix it again. Bringing it to a different place than last time. Hope this time works. We all just need to keep calling toshiba and telling them about the flaws in their products. I can't believe any company wants unhappy people, especially since they know of the flaw. I believe every company that wants to stay in business will fix problems they know about to keep customers happy. I even had a microwave company who had a recall on a sensor (I didn't know about, and called for service to fix it) repair it for free. So, keep a positive attittude, I'm sure toshiba wants to make us all happy. I don't belive any company wants bad publicity. I feel toshiba should put a recall on these products and have them fixed the correct way, that way they would build a much better customer/company relationship and might even get a lot more customers back, which would buid their business long term. Short term would be not to do anything about it, and I don't think they will do that.

john albrich Mar 07, 2006, 09:00pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ref post by Lance Thaut Feb 16, 2006, 03:28 AM

A singing power brick...is that like the singing WB frog?

What that sound coming from a switching power supply (which most laptop bricks are) usually means:

1) overcurrent condition. Either partial or full short circuit. Could be wiring, could be bad battery. Could be bad motherboard (but the internal mobo fuse usually activates). If the mobo fuse is a solid-state unit, then after it cools the problem will return. You'll get an on and off and on singing brick. Sometimes you can hear variations in the whine just by changing the brightness of the notebook display.

2) bad brick. It's either unable to provide the amount of power required (even though it's in limits) or there is a component about to fail. Sometimes a brick in this state will work adequately for years. When a power supply fails, it can be "energetic", however most will fail quietly. To be safe, replace it.

If you can apply an appropriate resistive load to the brick's output that is near the upper limit of the brick's ampacity (probably ABOUT 20V @ 2Amps but read yours to be sure), then you'll be able to determine if it is the brick itself. I've used power resistors and even auto lamps (a couple of 12V 2Amp bulbs in series) to put a very temporary load on the brick. Listen for the whine as you apply the load. Don't leave them connected for more than a second or two.

If the brick can't handle a static load like that, then play it safe and replace it. Observe appropriate eye safety during tests. You can get a "universal" notebook power brick for less than you typically pay for a vendor-specific brick. You just have to make sure the voltage, amps, and jack are compatible...and make sure you get the voltage polarity right on the jack before you plug it in.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.