Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 2673 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s January 21 - 06:16pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Toshiba Satellite P25-s520 AC Power Problem 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3
M. Tatar Mar 08, 2006, 12:44pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite P15-s AC Power Problem
WELL I'M REALLY TICKED OFF AT TOSHIBA, here I was told to bring my computer in to their service station to be fixed and guess what? They sent the fax to aero computing in westchester IL yesterday so I drove well over an hour both ways to drop it off. Well, this morning I was called by aero that toshiba sent them a fax refusing to fix the computer. I called the original person Leslie in customer relations and talked to her and she said it was approved. Needless to say going back and forth with Aero and then back to Toshiba customer relations. I must have talked to like 4 different people at Toshiba because Leslie was busy, and this guy Reya came back and told me absolutley my computer is not covered. Supposidly they already made an exception and fixed it one time before. Well, the same problem keeps arising and has never been fixed correctly in the first place. I ended up talking to Leslie, who I could tell felt bad (I do understand she just works for the greedy bastards) and she said there was nothing she could do. Now my computer is over an hour away now what? COUNT ME IN ON THAT CLASS ACTION SUIT. CONTACT ME AT mptdesigns@yahoo.com I'LL BE HAPPY TO SIGN UP.
So... when it comes to toshiba and customer service they are the worst around. I have much better luck with my daughters Compaq which was a third of the price of the Toshiba. I WILL NEVER PURCHASE ANYTHING TOSHIBA AGAIN. LETS BOYCOT TOSHIBA PRODUCTS AND SEE HOW THEY LIKE IT. THEY WON'T BE AROUND FOR LONG WITHOUT CUSTOMERS.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Sean Bilbo Mar 08, 2006, 08:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite P25-s520 AC Power Problem
Well well I fixed the problem. Hark Hark listen up ladies. I called up toshiba support center, and after talking to about 8 different people, 7 of which I could not understand the accent of, over multiple 4-5 hour sessions, and after the whole thing, going through just about every setting on my computer and reading it over the phone, the lady finally concludes that there's a power problem. Huh. No DUH. So they finally give me the address of a nearby computer store (if I knew I just needed an address of a computer store I could have opened the yellow pages or http://www.yellowpages.com for appx. 32.5 hours less time WASTED). So I went to the store, a sleezy little 'express' store with some wierd guy lounging around behind a dirty counter eating greasey food. Huh. I show them my computer's serial number, he pounds on his comp's keyboard until the right numbers punched in, told me I still had a valid warranty, took my power supply (broken, mind you) and waved goodbye. Three (yes, 3) months later, after going without my precious but disapointly non-working computer for so long, I finally get a call from the guy saying he 'just got da powar suplay in man'. I went back in, and suprisingly enough, he had the power supply, but to my suprises' relief, found that he only had half of it there....the actual AC plug that plugs into the wall AC outlet and the power brick was missing...he said it wasn't ordinary to receive one in... So I went home dissapointed. I found a similar looking AC plug from my old boom box, pluged it in and huh, it works. Now I just don't have a boom box. Huh.

Well that power brick has been replaced, power problem solved, (I just checked down and found that suprisingly enough I didn't just jinx myself and it is still working), however I've got about 4 more. When I apply pressure to the bottom center of my computer, the screen filtering changes from Red, Green, and Blue pigments. Both the mic and audio ports flicker on and off when I turn the plugs, the button on the PC Card Slot is jammed in, and the bottom plastic is shattered. Huh. Well, at least I have power.

M Leo Apr 06, 2006, 11:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dear all,
I found that the power supply for Toshiba P10 may occasionally go bad which may well lead the the intermittent charging problem. Multimeter did not show any reading whereares it showed correct reading just a few days earlier. Apparently, the AC tip can go bad too. I have tried swapping the AC tip to another PSU which which would charge the laptop but still require positioning. When ran on a universal AC adaptor, it appeared to solve the problem.
The DC jack on the mainboard could go loose too. This is what initially happened to my P10 and I guess that eventually led to failing of the power supply, perhaps due to fluctating laptop power drainage when connection becomes loose. When resoldering the DC jack, focus on the center positive (+) pin. Both sides of the (+) center pin must be soldered. The upper side has gone loose in my case.
I have also experienced battery discharging while powered on AC which seems to be resolved if you go into BIOS and load default settings. It may as well due to the AC adaptor as I have replaced mine with a universal AC.

hassan A Apr 27, 2006, 06:51pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dear all ,
I got the same problem like most of you , but when I read (VJ Patel) , it sound more logic to me and let me remember that I expanded my cable 1 meter after the adapter with a bit thin one which could add some resistand to the power , so just from 10 min. ago I remove this 1 meter and returned the cable to it's normal lenghth , and it's WORKING now as before , battery is charging while AC is online , and even I can remove the battery while AC is online without shutting down ,,, thanks VJ Patel :)

T B Jun 10, 2006, 06:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite P25-s509 AC Power Problem
help,
I am reading all the posts about the ac/battery problems. Has anyone tryed a new battery? not that I want to spent the $100. I don't care if I have to leave it plugged in all the time. If the battery isn't charged, even plugged in, I have no power. I paid alot of money for this computer, it is 2 1/2 yrs old....I'd hate to have to replace it.
please help,
TB

Lance Thaut Jun 12, 2006, 03:23am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Toshiba Satellite P25-s420 AC Power Problem
Hi,
I posted a few months ago at the beginning of this thread, and still watch when people post to this thread. I just want to emphasize that I replaced the AC cable and battery before finally settling on the DC Jack in the back of the laptop (probably because that was the most difficult of the three to repair / replace).
I would encourage anyone to look at the DC Jack before doing anything else. When it is malfunctioning, it creates so many odd problems, I see many chasing their tails trying to make sense of it. But based on my experience, the DC jack is the root of all that is evil.
First I tried to resolder the old jack, but you would be doing a better service if you pay $12.00 for a new one and resolder the new one in. This way you don't have to take the computer apart twice, or even three times like myself.
The added benefit of all this is that, because you won't want to go through this process again, you will be much more careful plugging and unplugging your computer in from this day forward. It will also give you a chance to see all the fuzz and dirt the fans collect, and will get you thinking about keeping the computer from overheating.
It's the DC Jack, it's the DC jack, it's the DC jack......and just in case you are doubting it, it's the DC jack.

Amy S. Jun 17, 2006, 01:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Is it the AC jack?
I had my AC jack resoddered when that didn't resolved the problem, I fused another AC plug onto the original battery cord, and I have the same problems.
My Plan: I'm going to try to conductive tape on the AC cord.

M. Tatar Jun 18, 2006, 11:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
it is the dc jack just like Lance has said. I ended up purchasing a dc jack off of eBay and my siste in law ended up taking my laptop apart and soldering the new dc jack on the motherboard. She also said there was a lot of dust etc that she blew out of as much as she could. This was the second time this computer had the same problem. The first time Toshiba had a repair shop replace the mother board. Then less than a year later the same problem, actually like 3 months later the problem started to re appear. Its been months since my sister in law soldered the dc jack and its been working great. All I need to do now is delete a bunch of files to get the computer to go faster and I'll be all set. Its the DC JACK

Bryan Woods Jun 24, 2006, 12:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I had this DC input jack problem in December. Well surprise surprise, it is back AGAIN! Last time I had to call Toshiba several times to get them to fax an override number to the repair shop. I am going to have to do the same thing again with the overseas tech support who is going to make me jump through hoops to get the same override. I am really mad a Toshiba. REALLY REALLY MAD. This is a clear design flaw and I am game for any class action suit. email it to me: severestorm (at) gmail (dot) com.

S Smith Mar 06, 2007, 08:44am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have identified the source of the problem and how to fix it permanently. After reading the posts on this website several months ago, I disassembled my Toshiba laptop (illustrated instructions for this are found at http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaP25/SatelliteP25_1.htm ) and I replaced my power jack.

The computer immediately was fixed and did well for several months. But with time the exact thing happened again...the power cord connection became very positional and I again had to wiggle it, et cetera, to get it to power and charge the battery. Ultimately it would not power the computer at all and my battery ran out too. Other users on this website have replaced motherboards only to have a similar recurrence of this issue. There is a reason for this recurrent failure. Still others have tried assorted different fixes but none seem to be definitive and final. I know why.

The basic design flaw is due to the fact that the power cord has no support except its attachment to the power jack. Use of the power cord causes inevitable motion and stress to the power jack's connection to the system board itself. This motion is very small, but unavoidable, and with months or years of use, the motion results in the problem everyone is having: an initially small, but progressively worse break in the power jack's connection to the circuit board tapes. These must be bypassed. It's fairly easy to do if you have steady hands.

The power jack is a cube with a center pin (the positive lead) and there are four "feet" that both attach it all to the system board. These 'feet' are also the negative, or ground for the circuit and three of them make contact with separate tiny circuit board tapes that are visible on the circuit board. The center pin also makes connection to the board. These tapes are covered by the insulating green coating that coats the board. The connection between these tapes and the power jack fails due to motion, at first becoming positonal (wiggling the cord can restore the connection), then it becomes more permanent. Here's the repair needed:

You need to disassemble the laptop down to the system board. Obtain soldering equipment appropriate for electronic boards (Radio Shack has this), and some flux is essential to make small solder connections easier (it will promote a rapid bond without the hot solder flowing beyond where it is intended). Obtain either small gauge wire or flexible copper strips (about 1-2 millimeter wide and about 6-8 mm long). You will need magnification to do a precise job. First, inspect the board and identify each of the four circuit board connections to the power jack. Carefully scratch away some of the insulating coating overlying the circuit board tapes to expose the metal immediately adjacent to where each of them makes its connection to the power jack. There are three negatives, and the center pin has its own connection too. After first putting flux onto the wire, apply a small amount of solder to opposite ends of each bypass wire before moving to the system board. Done properly, there should be a small bulge of solder on each end, to look something like a match head. Using magnification to do a careful and precise job, place the wire tip onto the bare spot on the circuit board tape and heat it to make the attachment solid. Next, solder the other end to the center pin (in the case of the center pin connection), or to the metal outside case of the power jack, all of which is the negative ground (for the three negative connections). Use enough solder to ensure a very solid bond but take great care not to allow solder to flow beyond the intended connection. Inspect your work to be sure each connection is solid and precise, then reassemble the computer. You will not see a recurrence of the problem because the small motion of the power jack on the circuit board will no longer stress and break the new bypass connections to the circuit board. TaDa!

jan yates Mar 30, 2009, 09:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i have read with great interest about all the problem others have had. when i first got my laptop years ago (4 or 5) it was brand the newest and greatest thing from toshiba (they said).
not long after the purchase it went haywire. i took it to compusa where i purchased it, along with an extended warranty. i got it fixed. toshiba said it was the motherboard and they replaced it, along with a dead battery from all the powering up/down it was doing.
so i had it 2 weeks and the same thing happened. i took it back and they sent it out. i got a phone call saying it was customer damage which was insane.
i had to pay $300 to get it back.
i continue to have the problem. i was 1 1/2 years without its use due to low funds and needing a new power cord and battery (again). it worked okay for a bit then started up again. right now, for some reason it says "online 100%". it's never said that before. i don't think i'll even move it from where it is, and will never turn it off again. :)
so if anyone has a fix, or if there was a class action suit against toshiba and it's still open, could someone let me know?
it's extremely frustrating, as you all can attest.
thanks,
jan

mark west Apr 17, 2009, 06:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have had this power problem for a few months, I thought right away that it was the power supply, I got a new one...
it works like new... not to say it may not be like the folks above me said, but it fixed mine... $22.99 on line new power supply, no soldering or taking the thing apart...:)

jay jay Jan 02, 2010, 11:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
wow hey i found a solution to the power problem, i took the laptop apart and did the dc jack fix but didnt work... then searched forums all day and found 3-4 people who have fixed this problem like so:
its the earth on the ac jack. just wrap some tin foil around the outside of the jack and then plug it in, bingo!!! fixed toshiba laptop A75, so far its running on AC and charging battery as normal for the first time in over a year! yeehaaaaaaaa!!!

so for sme people the problem isnt the board or dc socket, its the connection from the plug to the socket, the way its designed it doesnt make a good earth connection, there is no tension when u plug it in unless u make it tighter with some tin foil or tin tape would be better, then it would stay on the plug when u unplug it and would not require wrapping it every time u plug it in.
Im amazed I found a solution finally!!! dont have to send it in for repair or take apart laptop again, yaaaaaaaay :] im a happy plopper!

Lew Buckles Apr 21, 2010, 08:48am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Okay, of course the problem is identical to everyone else. Power light on, AC light on Battery light off. I have been around and around with this issue. I had a new power cord, that worked for a short time but eventually the power jack went bad. Don't wiggle the jack or you'll wind up destroying your MB. The jack is soldered to the MB and wiggling it you can crack the board r break the jack pin off inside the board. I had a new MB, HD, sound card and BATTERY put in this thing. After warranty ran out I had the same problem again with the jack. I just had another MB put in for $250 but still have the same problem with the battery not charging even with new battery, new power-cord, new motherboard. And to top it off the cd/dvd burner no longer reads and the wi-fi switch is broken stuck in the off position. I would never ever ever never purchase another fancy looking piece of Toshiba crap again. Nor should anyone else. >:o

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.