Please register or login. There are 1 registered and 1137 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 21 - 02:23pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Caps Lock flashes 10 times in series, no display power 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
khalid wahidi Jan 08, 2007, 10:34pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Caps Lock flashes 10 times in series, no display power
yeah same results. i just get the flashing lights. also when im only on the battery and i plug the ac adapter in, the laptop just shuts down. thank you for your reply

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Tim Tye Jan 08, 2007, 11:26pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 08, 2007, 11:27pm EST

reflash the bios. Or at least make it think something is different.

The bios doesnt know about battery or ac power.

remove a memory chip and power up. You will get an error - that is fine let it adjust itself and see how it acts.

Also ... do you have the latest flash bios on the laptop? Check that first !

khalid wahidi Jan 08, 2007, 11:59pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
update everyone. so i decided i had nothing to lose by trying to fix it myself. so i removed everything so that i just had the bare motherboard in my hands. i then proceeded to clean everything off the motherboard. my guess is that the mold used for the heat sink had gotten in the way of the actual power flow from the ac adapter to the motherboard. i also looked for anything that looked like it had crusted over and i found some material like that near the connection for the bluetooth on the motherboard. this might also have caused my problem. this was near the battery components. but i don't know, it could have been a number so things. but now its works fine, the computer loads up and charges the battery. the computer also works just off the battery and the battery holds a charge. so hopefully this will be the last time that i have to deal with this problem again but as with anything, it can give out again any day. thank you Tim for giving me some ideas to play around with.

Fred Perkins Apr 13, 2007, 12:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have just found this forum, having spent days wrestling with the same problem on an Inspiron 8500. This forum thread is the most cohesive analysis thus far (even if the answer is still elusive).

I am astounded that none of the hundreds who have experienced the Caps Lock flashing has managed to find anyone in Dell capable of, or interested in, explaining what the diagnostic actually means. Does nobody have any links to someone technically literate in Dell? I myself spent hours on to Dell's support, battling with people who claimed that my problems "were clearly software" (since I can get the machine to pass all diagnostics), yet not able to tell me why caps lock flashes 10 times and the machine will not even begin to boot... on some occasions.

I'm currently awaiting delivery of a new fan+heatsink assembly, which they assure me is the cause. I doubt it, but we'll see. I'm prepared to believe that there is a heat-relationship (

I've been round pretty well all the possibilities described in this (and other) threads, and am coming to the conclusion that it's a bad joint or short somewhere in the power circuitry (reseating memory etc merely sometimes un-does the problem temporarily) . The machine will run for hours OK, doing heavy processing (reading mail etc), but soon after I start typing on the keyboard, it will freeze and the whole cycle restarts. The last time when I did manage to reboot, the system clock had mysteriously changed by 10 years!

Another symptom I observed (but haven't seen reported by others) is that the power LED is behaving inconsistently. Sometimes, even with the power supply connected (and a spare substituted), the power LED is off - even though the system software shows it is charging, and the battery is full. At other times, the LED flashes every 10 secs or so. Once again, Dell support is disinterested, as has no answer as to what it indicates.

I'm pretty close to the point of writing off the PC (OK, it's 3 years old). But If/when I do, it will involve a change of policy not just for me, but for my whole company, away from Dell hardware. A company apparently incapable of communicating error diagnostics to its own support staff, far less the buyers of their kit, doesn't merit respect.

John Peterson Apr 20, 2007, 10:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just the caps lock light flashing indicates a motherboard failure. Thus, replacing the ram will not have an effect. The problem is either the memory controller or the ram sockets. Unfortunanely you cannot replace these parts and the motherboard will have to be replaced. Duy one from an online retailer. NOT EBAY! because many of the ones on eBay were sold because they had the same problems as your. Or, just replace the laptop because a new one will be faster anyway.

Greg Sargent May 07, 2007, 08:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

phil May 07, 2007, 08:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Greg Sargent,

do you have a problem with your computer? ? (just trying to figure out your blank post)

---
can't access HWA unless I use a proxy... lol

pfft ..f**k that! (almost sounds like work)
Greg Sargent May 07, 2007, 08:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a 512mb stick, bought another 512mb stick thinking that would solve the problem. It booted intermittently but the end result was the flashing caps lock. I put a 512 mb stick in slot b, and it booted with no problems. Maybe I bought extra 512mb for nothing? Hard to tell because after running memory diags ( with 1024mb) there were no errors, but if I ran with 512mb in slot A got errors. Hmmm...

This is the furthest I have gotten in days, so you may be on to something. People, try slot B. It works. Thanks for the troubleshooting tips.

John Peterson May 10, 2007, 11:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Okay, the problem is the caps. The motherboard has many different capacitors on it. When one or more are overfilled with electrolyte they build up pressure and burst. After this, they no longer work. This can cause memory failures (caps lock light flashing) and sudden system power off which may increase in frequency over time. You could have the motherboard recapped by it would be cheaper and more worth your time to buy a new laptop because these dells are complete trash.

Fred Perkins May 11, 2007, 01:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks...at last a logical answer. I've abandoned my Dell (and will never buy another, and am telling everyone I can not to, if they expect any sort of support).

I guess your explanation also explains why I DO manage to keep the PC running for a few hours, with a (cold) fan playing strongly on the base (tilted up, with memory cover open)...and as long as I try avoid touching the keyboard, it will run for hours. A couple of heavy taps on the keyboard and it dies.....

Anders Egero May 28, 2007, 07:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 28, 2007, 07:32pm EDT

Solution!

Hi everybody. I have a very cheep solution to your problem. Now tested and working fine on two different Dell laptops, C400GT och C840.
Open the bottom panel, put a little piece of soft rubber on the B-RAM, close the panel so the rubber thing press the memory modul a little bit down, and reboot. Now your Dell will work fine, I´m shure!

You can make a test first. Open the bottom panel, place the PC in your knee with one finger pressing the B-RAM-module up a little. Start the PC with Windows and all the applications you want to use. Everything should work fine.

Now take your finger away from the B-RAM-module and your Dell PC will crash! Still the RAM is positioned in its ordinary place with the white attaching parts.

Let us all know if this is the solution for all of us. And please somebody, tell Dell support!

Anders Egerö
Sweden

Fred Perkins May 29, 2007, 09:14am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 29, 2007, 09:16am EDT

I think you may well have cracked it! I've tried it in my (now abandoned) Inspiron 8500 machine, and it's been running fine ever since. I've even been bashing the keyboard (guaranteed to crash it even when I did get it running at all). And of course the centre of the keyboard is right above the memory chips.

It also makes sense logically... clearly there was something mechanical going wrong, and your simple trick puts a bit of pressure on the motherboard and/or memory chip connection.

It'll be very interesting to see how long the fix lasts...

...and I just love it when the solution is so beautifully simple. Thanks!

Derek Deviny Jun 01, 2007, 12:18am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
t b said:
Hey All,

I was tinkering around with d600 today and after removing and reinserting both RAM chips i got the same problem: 10 flashing Caps locks. When i removed both chips the error message was the 2nd (caps lock) and 3rd (scroll lock) lights (no flashing, constantly on). This latter message must indicate no system ram.

I figured i had reseated the RAM chips wrong, and it looked like i had. The notch was not completely in, but after many attempts i couldnt do much better. Be very careful when you're reseating the RAM. The white part should fill up all of the notch, the way that seemed to work best for getting the RAM all the way in was to lift up the white attachment part while pushing inwards.

My problem was due to my taking out the RAM for kicks and reseating incorrectly, it seems some of your all problems may have to do with a bad motherboard, but i definitely recommend trying this too. i'd be curious if you get the Caps & Scroll Lock error code by removing both RAM chips: if not, your problem is probably motherboard related.

My d600 is back up and running, good luck to everyone who's still having issues.

I fixed my caps lock flashing ten times problem by reseating the RAM. It was necessary to rock it back and forth so it would go all the way in. It looked like it was in before, but wasn't.

adsfkj sdfkl Jun 18, 2007, 10:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey,
I took the time to make an account just to respond that the trick above worked for me.
I have an inspiron 8500, would freeze and I got the flashes on attempting restart. Shuffling the memory was only a short term fix before the computer would freeze again.

Alas, I cut a small section of the black rubber from the bottom of my laptop and set a small piece over each of my two memory sticks, causing pressure on them when the cover is screwed back on.

This has worked for about a week of normal use with no problems. Hope this helps

Chris Sanburn Jul 09, 2007, 03:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just thought I'd my update and throw in a large "THANKS" for those of you who have taken time to post on this thread. The information here was my sole means of solving the 10 times caplock blinking problem. It did run fine with a single 512mb memory module in slot B but if I put anything in Slot A then I got the blinking.
Only thing I did different was that I had to place my "rubber bumper" above slot A, rather than slot B and it's worked just fine sine.

Joey Tejada Jul 26, 2007, 09:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I guess I am the latest member of the "Dell10-FLASH-CAPS-LOCK" club.

I had this problem (Caps Lock flashes 10 times in series then shuts down) with my Dell Latitude CPxH with 256 memory single module in January. I tried swapping memory modules which resulted in a hit and miss, but even if the PC made it to WinXP, it would lock up when 10 to 15 min into the session, even without any applications running. I finally got tired and started using another computer.

This week the second computer, a Dell C640 P-4 2 Ghz with 512 memory (also single module) started acting th same way. I put a Toshiba memory module in, and it allowed to start-up to pre-WinXP then locks up. Restarting results in the Caps Lock flashes 10 times in series - then shutting down. The Toshiba I swapped the memory module with works fine with the module I pulled from the C640. This tells me that there is nothing wrong with the memory module.

I used to run the the Dell C640 P4-M 2Ghz with a PA-6 (70 watts) power adapter. I did not have any problems then, but the PC would only run at 1Ghz. With Dell's advice, I upgraded the power supply to a PA-9 (90 watts) which made the PC run at full 2Ghz a couple of months ago. I guess running the PC at full 2GHz fried some of my components.

Because my business requires a running PC, I am now using my backup PC, a Dell C640 1.8Ghz with 512 memory using the PA-9 power supply. Does anybody know how to fix this issue before my current backup PC starts messing up. My daughter has a Toshiba Sattelite P4-M 2.2Ghz for school for the last 3 years and she has never had any problems with it. I am on my 3rd Dell in 2 years all going the way of the dreaded 10-Caps-Lock-flashes syndrome.

I need help in fixing this - any suggestions?

-joey
Cincinnati, OH

Bill Houston Jul 27, 2007, 04:09pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well i was a member of this club. Fortunately, as some of you found, my computer was a company computer, and being the lead programmer, i needed a new one!

So i used the opportunity to get myself a Lenovo (ahem IBM) T60. Great computer! Only downside is that it came with Vista. I never knew it would be so hard to find a new computer with XP in it. Go Microsoft!!

Anyway, after NOT reading through these posts first, i order myself a new Hitachi Travelstar HDD, and after inserting it came up with the same problem. Since the computer only has 1 512 chip in it, i moved it to slot B and it seems to have booted just fine. (Oh, yeah and i forgot to put the PIN adapter on the end of the HDD...) Anyway, now it's loading Windows XP Pro. If it fails, i will update, but as of right now, it appears to work just fine.

The machine is the Inspiron 600M.

Anders Egero Jul 29, 2007, 04:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 29, 2007, 04:07pm EDT

Joey Tejada said:
I guess I am the latest member of the "Dell10-FLASH-CAPS-LOCK" club.

--- cut ---

Does anybody know how to fix this issue before my current backup PC starts messing up. My daughter has a Toshiba Sattelite P4-M 2.2Ghz for school for the last 3 years and she has never had any problems with it. I am on my 3rd Dell in 2 years all going the way of the dreaded 10-Caps-Lock-flashes syndrome.
I need help in fixing this - any suggestions?
-joey
Cincinnati, OH

Hi Joey
Why don´t you read my post above, from May 29, 2007, 01:30 CEST?
I have the solution for you and your Dell laptop. It is just a little piece of rubber...

Anders Egerö
Sweden

delon villanueva Aug 11, 2007, 12:39am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all i seem to mess up my pc totally. I've already tried to add up rubber to the affected memory modules and definitely it work fine with me but the problem is i have made a big mistake.

I want to remove the rubber off my pc cause when the pc is on for a long time the laptop bottom heats up and it could melt the rubber easily. so i tried to solder the pins of the first affected ram module thinking that it might have lossen or coldsolder the rams module but unfortunately it seems that the problem has become permanent. even with the rubber on it the caps flashes still exist and i dont know what else to do.

could anybody help me with this. Thanks in advance.

David Jimenez Aug 19, 2007, 02:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks!! It worked great!! u r a genius!!!
-David

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.