Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1254 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 05:55am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Caps Lock flashes 10 times in series, no display power 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
g f Aug 20, 2007, 12:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Caps Lock flashes 10 times in series, no display power
This seems to have worked! Thanks for a great (and simple) fix to an arduous (and long-time) problem!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Wayne Zatarain Aug 20, 2007, 03:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks!!! Thanks!!!! Thanks!!!!! I spent two days trying to determine what say wrong, motherboard, memory, diskdrive??? I finally decided it was memory then that really didn't seem to be what was the real problem. It had to be motherboard, rats!!! Two small pieces of rubber and all is well again. Microsoft's memory diagnostic says all is fine after inserting small pieces of rubber over the memory modules.

Anders Egero Aug 20, 2007, 04:35pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all

I am happy understanding that I could help you all! Sorry it took so long time...
And it is a shame that Dell did not understood what was wrong. Or did they...?

Fred Perkins Aug 20, 2007, 05:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I too am grateful to Anders for finding the cure. In my impatience and frustration, I tried it with just a pad of folded paper, and the faulty PC has run faultlessly for 8 weeks.

The really annoying part of all this - and reason I will never buy another Dell machine - is that not only were they unable and unwilling to give any proper help, but nobody in Dell would admit to knowing the significance of the the 10 LED flashes! So they apparently have no real interest in customer support.

g f Aug 27, 2007, 01:42am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Okay,

The probably is back. I have two rubber o-rings on top of my memory chips helping to push them in. Maybe this isn't the right way to do it? They are lying on top of the chips (or underneath really, as they are under the chips but above the bottom cover) and also rest on te chip sockets. Maybe it isn't pushing them in right? Or do I have a different problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

g f Aug 27, 2007, 10:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
One other question. Which is memory slot A, and which is B?

g f Aug 27, 2007, 10:34am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Never mind that last question. It becomes blatantly obvious when you remove the chips!

Wayne Zatarain Aug 27, 2007, 11:01am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
What I found after a few days was that I had both bad memory and the need to use the rubber holddown . If you have memory in both DIMMS you might try removing one stick of memory and seeing if your computer boots and runs properly. Although it may run very slow depending on hope much memory you have on a stick, you may be able to determine which stick is bad.

This technique may take more then one reboot for your machine to boot properly. I was able to boot on 256 MB to determine that my 512 stick was bad. Two new sticks of 512 all is well.

Anders Egero Aug 27, 2007, 04:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
g f said:
Okay,

The probably is back. I have two rubber o-rings on top of my memory chips helping to push them in. Maybe this isn't the right way to do it? They are lying on top of the chips (or underneath really, as they are under the chips but above the bottom cover) and also rest on te chip sockets. Maybe it isn't pushing them in right? Or do I have a different problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

You can make a test first. Open the bottom panel, place the PC in your knee with one finger pressing the B-RAM-module up a little. Start the PC with Windows and all the applications you want to use. Everything should work fine.

Now take your finger away from the B-RAM-module and your Dell PC will crash! Still the RAM is positioned in its ordinary place with the white attaching parts.

g f Aug 27, 2007, 04:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well,

I'm running on just one stick right now, in the A slot. The computer works for a few minutes and then freezes. No BSD, no error, no crash. Just a screen freeze and nothing works except cycling the power. Maybe I have some other probs going as well. I'm running on a full reinstall (with reformat) of windows XP. I have a few drivers Nort 360, and firefox installed, that's it. So, I don't think it's a software problem.

Joey Tejada Aug 27, 2007, 04:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Looks like the memory chip needs a little bit moere consistency with the pressure being applied to it. When the computer heats up, the rubber o-rings may soften and loose the pressure it is applying to the memory stick. If that happens, your PC will lock-up again. You amy want to use paper intead of rubber to keep the heat from softening the material.

I use aout 8 layers of a cut-up business card. Works great.

-joey

Bo Thomas Aug 31, 2007, 11:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
g f said:
Well,

I'm running on just one stick right now, in the A slot. The computer works for a few minutes and then freezes. No BSD, no error, no crash. Just a screen freeze and nothing works except cycling the power. Maybe I have some other probs going as well. I'm running on a full reinstall (with reformat) of windows XP. I have a few drivers Nort 360, and firefox installed, that's it. So, I don't think it's a software problem.

Move your memory to the B slot.. Seems to be that the A slot has this problem more... and use the paper trick to put pressure on it also.

Bo Thomas Aug 31, 2007, 11:36am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Anders Egero said:
Solution!

Hi everybody. I have a very cheep solution to your problem. Now tested and working fine on two different Dell laptops, C400GT och C840.
Open the bottom panel, put a little piece of soft rubber on the B-RAM, close the panel so the rubber thing press the memory modul a little bit down, and reboot. Now your Dell will work fine, I´m shure!

You can make a test first. Open the bottom panel, place the PC in your knee with one finger pressing the B-RAM-module up a little. Start the PC with Windows and all the applications you want to use. Everything should work fine.

Now take your finger away from the B-RAM-module and your Dell PC will crash! Still the RAM is positioned in its ordinary place with the white attaching parts.

Let us all know if this is the solution for all of us. And please somebody, tell Dell support!

Anders Egerö
Sweden

Seems you have helped a lot of people with this simple solution...and when I return home to my dead 600m, I too hope this works for me.. If so, you have saved me from buying a new motherboard or new laptop. THANK YOU!

Anders Egero Aug 31, 2007, 05:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 31, 2007, 05:56pm EDT

Funny thing is that the same problem has the same solution in my car, a Saab 9-3. Some figures on the display is missing some pixels. Makes it difficult to read them.

Solution is to put a piece of a thin rubber thing, made for tightening your apartements windows, on the flat datacabel inside the display, pressing the cable down for better electrical contact!

Found the solution on the internet, of course...!

Bo Bo Sep 29, 2007, 10:22pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Anders, Thanks,
My Latitude C840 is working now after I put two pieces of rubber between the memey cover and the memory sticks. Two weeks ago, I put my laptop in my bag after school class in the standby mode, but the laptop automaticlly started itself up and my whole bag was becoming hot then. When I noticed that, it was already too late. It just couldn't start up and the CAPS lock was flashing also. I took one memory stick out, it can survice few minutes. But after that, it went back and CAPS lock was flashing. Then I searched google and found the solution you provided. It just works. Great solution.

Peter V Sep 30, 2007, 05:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Anders - you are the man!, Thanks a lot it works!

I have Dell D600 with the "flash bug" since August and was bothering me all the time.
As per your suggestion I put two pieces of rubber between the memory cover and the memory sticks.

One thing is amazing so many people have been strugling with this problem and Dell has not released an official document on how to fix this engineering flaw.....

Thanks again Anders!

Alan Hill Oct 07, 2007, 12:53am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks Anders for your solution!

I initially had a loose DC socket on the motherboard that was repaired by a local laptop shop. Shortly after getting the Inspiron 5150 back, I started getting occasional "Memory has changed" messages on powering up.

Re-seating the the two 1GB memory sticks would fix the problem for awhile. I figured that the repair shop would recommend a motherboard replacement since I had already ruled out bad memory sticks because it didn't matter which of 4 memory sticks I tried, the problem was the same.

Only after seeing the flashing caps when only one stick was installed, I came across this thread (thanks Google!). I put two pieces of foam rubber between the sticks and the access panel.

Looking good after 3 days!

Bo Thomas Oct 08, 2007, 11:36am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Anders Egero said:
Funny thing is that the same problem has the same solution in my car, a Saab 9-3. Some figures on the display is missing some pixels. Makes it difficult to read them.

Solution is to put a piece of a thin rubber thing, made for tightening your apartements windows, on the flat datacabel inside the display, pressing the cable down for better electrical contact!

Found the solution on the internet, of course...!

Wow, another solution I will try. I have a Saab 9-5 with this problem also. Too bad the my Dell 600m is configured that I can't get enough pressure on the memory chip to keep it running.

Thanks again,
Bo

David King Nov 07, 2007, 12:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Christos Gekas' post saved my life! Thanks Christos! I followed your procedure, and fixed my Dell Latitude D600. It had the 10-flash-CAPS-LED problem.

Jason Buhle Nov 13, 2007, 07:28pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have been using the amazing solution provided by Anders for the past month with my 600m, but as of this morning it no longer works. Has anyone had this happen, or have any suggestions for a next step? Thanks!

Jason

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.