Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1180 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 15 - 10:37pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Caps Lock flashes 10 times in series, no display power 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>
Wayne Zatarain Nov 13, 2007, 07:33pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Caps Lock flashes 10 times in series, no display power
Try to reposition what ever you are using on top of the memory and look at the possibility you have bad memory. I had to reposition the rubber spacers I was using and also found a bad 1 MB memory stick.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Jason Buhle Nov 13, 2007, 08:29pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for the reply Wayne. To test for bad memory, should I remove one of the sticks and then try to start it?

Thom Schotman Nov 14, 2007, 04:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 14, 2007, 04:37pm EST

Today i bought two new memory modules (kingston 1gb sodimm pc-5300) for my inspiron 1501. After I installed the modules the system wouldn't boot and I got the caps lock error. So I (like many others) found myself on this forum looking for a solution.

In the meantime I reinstalled the old modules and got the system running again. When I took a look in the bios I saw that 'quick boot mode' was Enabled and the 'boot time diagnostics screen' was Disabled. After changing both options I reinstalled the new modules and this time the new dimms were recognized and the system booted up flawlessly.
In 'quick boot mode' the bios skips certain tests, that's probably why new hardware may not be (properly) recognized on bootup.

So if you encounter the caps lock led flicker error after you made a change to your hardware then this may the solution for you.

Hope this is helpful :)

Nov 20, 2007, 08:57pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I found that switching the slots that my memory was in around (i have 2 sticks so it was easy) on my Dell Inspiron B120 did the trick, so i still had the same amount of memory, it was just in different slots, not really sure WHY this helped, but my computer is booting up now. I hope this will help some of you out there who are having this problem.

Eduardo Montoya Jan 08, 2008, 07:39pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 08, 2008, 07:39pm EST

switching memory slots worked for me in an old lalitude.

thanks a lot.:)

Deleted User Apr 12, 2008, 09:08am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
here is my story. My laptop came with 2 256 mb ram. I upgraded to 2 512, then it would crash and caps blinks 10 times. I was like ok. I'll try it with the old ram back in there... you would think it would be fine since it worked before. but no. After doing research I think its a definate engerniering flaw. and I'm not sure what the real cause is. maybe the pins are too far apart? I've tried the rubber spacer trick. and It worked for awhile then it wold crash and not turn on. I've tried different materials and different amounts of pressure. Could some soldering come loose..
i hope this helps someone come up with a better solution.

Deleted User Apr 13, 2008, 08:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 13, 2008, 08:34am EDT

>> sorry double post.

Deleted User Apr 13, 2008, 08:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 13, 2008, 08:34am EDT

NEW FIX MAYBE??:)
This is what I've found out. The rubber spacer trick may cause your ram to over heat cause it creates a space between the ram and the aluminum plate, and with no air flow... Crash, or something to that effect. Here is what I did. this may not work for everyone.
Instead of spacing anything or using spacers. Just figure out which ram slot is the problem. On mine it was ram slot A. Take your ram and slide it in but do not... i repeat. Do not press it all the way down. you want to have it sitting there in the slot elevated by it self not cliped down. then just screw the lid back on. The lid should press down the memory a little but it shouldn't clip into place and if your lucky it may work fine with no over heating issues.
Let me know how this goes for anyone that trys it. oh yeah one last thing. This may or may not break you computer and you are to do this at your own risk.:):)

roy bayliss Apr 26, 2008, 02:02pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi there, just solved the 10 flashing problem...

the problem is defective ram slot at all

you can only fix the problem by desoldering the two defective ram slots and solder in place a couple of good slots.

this is a quite hard task, i know...

i found two working ddr ram slots from ad old toshiba motherboard.

roy bayliss Apr 26, 2008, 02:08pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

i want to let you know that the slot issue is not regarding loose or cold soldering,

yes, because first of all i tried to reflux all the solder of each pin but it didnt work... i think that
the problem is the ram slots itselfs, contacts don't give enough pressure on the ram sticks

Deleted User Apr 26, 2008, 08:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Bad ram slot, that makes sense. I'm willing to try soldering a new one in, if i can find one. My fix is for the people who slot still works some what. It really is strange... my slot worked fine untill i put new ram in then not even the old ram worked. oh well, thanks its good to know there is a way to fix this if people can solder well :)

roy bayliss Apr 26, 2008, 08:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

you need an hot air station to remove the faulty slot safely, no way with a normal soldering iron. yes, you can remove the faulty ones even cutting each pin and then refine the job with a normal iron, but hot air is the only way to remove a slot without breaking it.

on a first step i changed only one slot, just to see if the job was fine, and it was, in fact, only with a ram in the new slot the notebook boot up.

roy bayliss May 03, 2008, 12:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hey

Rover Man Jul 16, 2008, 10:36am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have this problem on a Dell Precision Mobile Workstation M70. It came with 512MB in slot A. A year ago we put another 512 module in slot B. It has worked fine. Yesterday I replaced both 512MB modules with two new 1GB modules, the max this system can handle. Immediately, it did the blinking caps lock, then power off. I put the old modules in and it worked fine. I am going to try disabling quickboot, enabling Boot Time Diag, and see if that does it. Pressure on the RAM doesn't seem to be the issue as the old Ram has worked fine for years. The factory 512mb chip, and the other added chip, are DDR2 PC2 4200 modules. The new RAM is DDR2 PC2 5300 RAM. The website lists 5300 as OK. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Deleted User Jul 16, 2008, 12:21pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If the old ram still works fine. I don't think its the same issue the other are having on this forum. Could be a bad ram module or a compatibility problem. Disabling quick boot is a good idea, what it should do Is allow the bios to check both ram modules. good luck:)

Rover Man Jul 16, 2008, 12:26pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Setting the BIOS to a long POST cured the problem on the M70! Thanks.

r g Jul 26, 2008, 11:29pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 27, 2008, 12:46am EDT

I'm having no luck with the spacers, any one else have any luck lately?

Jack Klon Jul 28, 2008, 06:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Aug 01, 2008, 11:28am EDT

I started to have the caps lock led flashing/dead computer problem today too. Before discovering this forum I checked a number of things out, thinking it might be heat related. I discovered that the heat sink in the fan compartment was totally clogged with dust. I cleaned it, the fan, all of the openings, and everything in the compartment thoroughly (used a vacuum cleaner on the heat sink and blew on the fan with a lot of pressure). That seems to have worked so far. It has been running now for about about two hours. We shall see if it continues. I seem to recall having a similar problem quite some time ago (perhaps a year) and just cleaned the fan compartment then, and had no problems until today. I never checked online that time, and since the problem cleared up right away, I have forgotten the details, so I cannot swear that it is the same problem. You would think that Dell would mention this cleaning as normal preventative maintenance if it actually is the cause of such problems. Hope this is actually a fix. If it continues to work I will clean it on a regular basis. This is apparently a different cause for the same symptoms as those with the memory slot problems. So I hope it may help someone else too, if it continues to work.

Update 7-29-2008: It ran for about 5 hours yesterday, and started fine this AM, but only ran about two hours and stopped. So apparently it was not the clogged fan, although this may have contributed to the processor being damaged by heat, if that is the problem. I tried moving the RAM and enabling the thorough POST in the BIOS. We shall see. It has been running for 36 minutes since the RAM and BIOS changes.

Update 7-29-2008 end of day: It has been running all day (over 11 hours now) after the RAM change. It may be that my problem was the same as those others who were able to fix it by moving RAM around. We'll see what tomorrow brings. So far so good.

Update 7-30-2008: Failed this morning shortly after boot. See next update below.

Update 7-31-2008: Just to add my voice to the chorus of folks who have found the pressure on the RAM chip thing to be a solution, I finally tried that yesterday morning (cut up business cards, as somebody suggested, rather than rubber). The machine worked all day yesterday booted up in Linux (about 11 hours). It has not failed today either. I was in XP most of the day, but an hour or so in Linux in between the AM and PM, so it was rebooted twice to change OSs.

Update 8-1-2008: After I wrote yesterday's update it failed again, late in the evening. I give up, I don't know what to do at this point except to replace the computer.

r g Aug 03, 2008, 08:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I started to write this post last week, just hours after I tried it out. At that point I had been having great success but took the post down fearing that it would soon fail, as several other fixes had for other posters. Well, now I am 8 full days in and still working PERFECT so I think it is safe to offer this solution. I have used my laptop several times every day since. On at least one day, it was on for 10 consecutive hours (I had a paper due!). I have been as rough as usual on it, and no crashes at all. Please read on to see my original post...

I, too, had the dreaded dead Dell with the 10 flashes. I read all of these posts and tried swapping out one RAM and then the other. Tried applying pressure with a piece of rubber under the cover. Had mixed success with the swapping but it was slow, had no success with the rubber spacer. Before rushing out to buy more ram for what I thought was the good slot, I tried one more thing. I took a pencil eraser (not the really gritty kind, more like the white vinyl erasers) and rubbed the contacts on both sides of each RAM module and even forced the eraser into both RAM slots on the mother board and rubbed it back and forth. I gave them all a pretty good rub down. Be careful not to scrape the ram with the metal edge that holds the eraser on the pencil. When I was done the slots were pretty full off eraser shavings. I took a small handheld vaccuum and sucked them out. I wasn't being all that careful as I was of the attitude 'what have I got to lose'. A while back I had seen someone clean the contacts on their cell phone battery with an eraser, he said they get gummed up over time and I thought that might work with this too. If you are like me, when you unscrewed the access door to the RAM, there was some dust and dirt because there are small ventilation holes. Well, to my surprise, it seems to have worked. I slapped all the RAM back in and have been using my laptop non-stop for several hours with both RAM modules in. I restarted half a dozen times and every time it fires up just like when it was new. No more black screens/blue screeens/freezes/etc. Like I said, it may be just a coincidence and maybe when I wake up tomorrow it'll be back to not working. But, since this seems to be a very common problem I wanted to post this do it yourself, no cost fix just in case it works for you too. I'll post again if it stops working so read ahead and see if it quits. If you try it and it works, add a post so that others can see that it is for real.

Hope it works for you, too!

Gerritt Aug 03, 2008, 05:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Using a good eraser to clean contacts is a very old technicians trick. I always carried a good white bar type in my tool kit.
Use only light preasure, and make sure to remove any residue.
The primary issue is not dirt or "grunge" but oxidation/corrosion due to the close contact of two dissimular metals, such as gold to silver. But even in a gold to gold contact, differing levels of metalic content can cause the corrosion. This type of corrosion is limitted to the surface area only, so a light erasure is all that is needed to remove it.
There have been cases with certain types of sockets, wherein there is a preasure pit formed in the PCB connectors. In these cases, using a non-conducting spacer to apply slightly higher force, or repossitioning of the PCB to apply pressure on different points will usually resolve the problem (such as in the suggestion that you not clip them in place.

Gerritt

Ad Astra Per Aspera
(A rough road leads to the Stars)
We all know what we know, and everyone else knows we are wrong.
System Specifications in BIO

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.