Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1220 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 11 - 06:34am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio A417M BIOS password 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2
Andrei Cīmpan Jun 16, 2006, 01:07pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio A417M BIOS password
Look, I know what are forums made for, but nobody on this forum or other forums wasn't able to help me with a helpful information that I didn't know, regarding this bios password problem. So, I had to work on my own. I think that if you know how to work with eeprom programmers and with eeproms in generally you can figure out wich IC is an I2C eeprom in a very simple way: the way the pins are connected between them (pins 1 to 4 and 7 connected to GND, pin 8 connected to +5V and pins 5 and 6 are clock and data pins). If one IC is connected this way, I suggest you put it in a programmer (like JDM) and try to read it and see what's the result. In my case it worked, but as I told you before, there were two IC's marked in the same way. The first one I read was an eeprom containing infos for the notebook's internal clock generator so I didn't touch its contents. With the second one I was a little bit luckier because I was able to see the word SONY, the model of my notebook (VGN-A417M) and a long serial number (UUID) written in the dump in clear text, so I looked in the memmap.txt file that came with Sony Vaio Analyzer and found out at wich addresses the password is stored. To bypass the password I had to modify the dump just the way it was written in that .txt file and modify the bytes containing the password to 00. Programm the IC with the modified file, solder it on the motherboard and power up. Surpize!!! The notebook doesn't ask for a password anymore!
So that was it! I've done it! I hope that this info will help you to unlock your notebokk and you won't have to pay 99$ for a new "security chip". The IC that I was looking for is located somewhere near the battery connector, on the opposite side of the Southbridge (the other side of the PCB). I can't help you with pictures because I don't have them anymore :( I've lost them... I don't know how, but they're gone.
Here is the memmap.txt file, if you don't have it:
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00: PP PP PP PP PP PP PP pp pp pp pp pp pp pp ?? SS
10: UU UU UU UU UU UU UU UU UU UU UU UU UU UU UU UU
20: OO OO OO OO OO OO OO OO OO OO OO OO OO OO OO OO
30: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
40: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
50: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
60: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
70: ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
80: MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM
90: MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM
a0: RR RR RR RR RR RR RR RR RR RR NN NN NN NN ?? ??
b0: ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? 0? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? 0? 0? ?5 ??
c0: ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss
d0: ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss
e0: tt tt tt tt tt tt tt tt tt tt tt tt tt tt tt tt
f0: tt tt ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ?? ??

PP - Machine password
pp - User password
SS - Security setting (FF/4E: ask at startup; FE/00: don't ask)
UU - UUID
OO - OEM Info
MM - Machine name
RR - Revision
NN - Model Name (4-character!)
ss - Serial number
tt - Timestamp

One more thing: if you think that you are not able to do this or you don't have the tools or the knowledge to de/solder an SMD IC, build a hardware programmer, or to edit a hex file, with all the respect, I think you shouldn't try anything that I've written here, because you can PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR NOTEBOOK!!!! Someone told me that if you, by accident, modify or delete the serial number of the notebook, it won't work as it should work! So, BE VERY CAREFUL!!!

bye!

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Andrei Cīmpan Jun 16, 2006, 01:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I forgot to tell you something: you probably found on the internet some things about how to reset the password by shorting two pins on the eeprom that contains the password. Don't use it on Sony!!! The serial number will also be deleted!!!

linuxian Jun 16, 2006, 01:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi & sorry if i spoke abt what forums are for in my previouse post,

well, honestly i cannot disolder/solder the chip ! but i could & can read eeprom (that contains password) from a thinkpad laptop & Dell laptop without removing it from the motherboard ! the only thing was that the laptop has to be powered on. I had used three pins on the eeprom which connected to a small handmade aparatus (reader that is very easy to create) & plug it into the serial port of a computer & the software could read it.

my question is : do you think i can do that with this chip too ? seems to me that thinkpad had the same chip.

also when looking for analyser.exe on google (google you are so great) i could find out that it can actually decode the encrypted password ... this weekend i think i m going to try & read the two eeproms ... & see what happens. please if you see that reading them while notebook is powered on will damage something let me know.

thanks a lot for your preciouse explanation.

Andrei Cīmpan Jun 16, 2006, 03:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I don't know what to say because in my case I had to modify the eeprom contents. analyzer.exe didn't decrypt the password... If you say that you managed to read the eeprom with the notebook turned on, I think you can do this again on your Sony. If not, ask a friend who has a hot-air soldering station (preferably) to desolder the IC for you.
Let me know if you removed the password or not.
You're welcome!

bye

oladapo olalemi Oct 06, 2007, 10:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Please help me out i have a Sony Vaio VGN-A195HP that the CMOS has been passworded and would not open

Joaquin Juan Feb 24, 2014, 01:57pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello , I followed the footsteps of Andrei Cimpan , and works properly ! ! .
What I have done is edit the dump with winhex . As Andrei Cimpan commenting , I have made ​​00 Machin Password , User Password Security Settings and also 00 .
would look like
         0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 a b c d e f
00 : PP PP PP PP PP PP PP pp pp pp pp pp pp pp ? SS
10: UU UU UU UU UU UU UU UU UU UU UU UU UU UU UU UU
20: OO OO OO OO OO OO OO OO OO OO OO OO OO OO OO OO
30 : ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
40 : ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
50 : ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
60 : ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
70 : ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff ff
80 : MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM
90 : MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM MM
a0 : RR RR RR RR RR RR RR RR RR RR NN NN NN NN ? ?
b0 : ? ? ? ? ? ? 0 ? ? ? ? ? ? 0 ? 0 ? ? 5 ?
c0 : ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss
d0 : ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss ss
e0: tt tt tt tt tt tt tt tt tt tt tt tt tt tt tt tt
f0: tt tt ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

PP replace it with 00 (zero zero, oh oh. )
also pp. 00
SS and 00, and the rest do not touch. We recorded the chip again, and work.
Pd. True, there are two chip with the same nomenclature, and which interests us, is just below a black plastic. I almost went crazy looking, until I removed the plastic, which is right next to the battery connector, and there is the chip that contains the information. A greeting.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.