Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1473 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 17 - 12:41pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Toshiba Laptop Error codes (Power flashing led) and Manuals 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>
Peebs Panics Oct 27, 2008, 12:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Toshiba Laptop Error codes (Power flashing led) and Manuals
Mark Singh said:
Hello all,
I have a Toshiba Satellite R15-S829.

Until two days ago, the laptop has been working. However, yesterday I tried to power it up and only got the orange blinking light. The batter light and all other lights are all off. The blinking pattern is:

SSLSSLSS

Can someone tell me what that code mean?

Mark

That's 24h - "Current sensing IC is not normal."

Just to clear this up properly for peeps having trouble with the conversion from binary to hex, and exactly why you have to reverse the binary number BEFORE you do the conversion:-

The LED blink pattern appears lowest significant bit first, this is a simple concept to grasp but if you haven't done any study in maths, electronics or computing you may not have a clear picture of what this means, let's look at a decimal number as an example because the theory is the same for all number bases.

Take the number 123, now I apologise for the next part because it sounds like primary school teacher material but this is how it works:
The decimal number 123 has 1 hundred, 2 tens, and 3 ones, yes? In decimal (base 10) we have ones, tens, hundreds, thousands etc - so the smallest possible (the lowest - or least - significant) unit is at the farthest right hand-side of the number, and it's the same with binary, when your computer spits out an error-code in LSB-first format, the first blink is the lowest (or least) significant bit - THE ONE AT THE FARTHEST-RIGHT.
As each code is flashed we should write them down proceeding from right-to-left, but we don't, because we're from the west and we write left-to-right, so to get the proper code you just reverse the binary number instead of reversing however many years of writing experience, sorry if that was preaching to the converted or patronizing but when you don't know you don't know, but hopefully now you do:-)

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Mark Singh Oct 27, 2008, 12:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you for the explanaton, Peebs.

I was hoping the "Current sensing IC is not normal" code would point to my power supply. However, according to some posts on this code, it is looking like an internal circuit problem.

:/

Peebs Panics Oct 27, 2008, 01:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
It could be the power board (or daughter board) on your laptop, direct replacement time unless you can do fault-diagnosis and soldering at SMB level, there is a guy who advertises on eBay who can do repairs on most Toshiba laptops (he fixed my SP6100 last week) so you could give him a shout and see if he can help you out?

http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/ajb_spares/

Tell him which error code you're getting and he may be able to repair the relevant PCB rather than an expensive replacement, gotta be worth a try?

Mark Singh Oct 27, 2008, 01:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks again, Peebs. I will post an update.

Clement Vanado Jan 09, 2009, 04:17am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jan 09, 2009, 04:23am EST

Hello,

My error code on a Toshiba Satellite 2410-414 was :

90h
1R5-E1V voltage is more than 1.80V when the computer is powered on or off.

The laptop works with the battery, but not when the DC power is connected (led error is flashing).

In fact, the laptop was fall down from a seat, and there was a PCMCIA USB adapter plug in.
The PCMCIA card was OK, but the connector seems broken. (the card go in the computer about 3 millimeters more than casual, and the eject system didn't work).

I dissassembled the laptop : the PCMCIA connector was broken, the connector on the mainboard was destroyed, and there is a capacitor near the PCMCIA connector which was broken (not solder).

After soldering the capacitor, the computer works ! (but the PCMCIA card connector is destroyed, so I can't use PCMCIA card anymore).

Maybe someone could have the save 'problem'.

Bye.

Robert Baird Mar 24, 2009, 09:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The easiest way to convert between binary and hex is with the calculator that comes with windows in the Accessories menu.

Switch the calculator to scientific mode, select BIN enter your code.

Then select HEX

That's all there is to it.

Scott Christmas Apr 20, 2009, 09:14am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello,
Just wondering if anyone can help me out. When trying to Boot up my computer it stops and has a J_ in the top left corner of the screen... and that's it.
As I am currently in Africa there is no one available to help fix this problem. If anyone could be of assistance it would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Scott

Jonathan Gevaryahu Jun 25, 2009, 10:36am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 25, 2009, 10:41am EDT

Most if not all people in this thread are doing the blink->hex conversion incorrectly;
The document says 'least significant bit first', which means the code starts from the least significant side (usually the right side) of the binary number, not the most significant side/left.

For instance, my Toshiba Satellite A55-S326 gives the following code:
Short long short short long long long short;
since short = 0 and long = 1, the code, if the order was most significant bit first (which it isn't) would be 01001110
However the correct order is the other way round, least significant bit first: 01110010
...which is 0x72 (since 7 is 0111 in binary and 2 is 0010)
the error code means:
72h
PPV voltage is not more than 0.68V when the computer is booting up.

Jonathan Gevaryahu AKA Lord Nightmare
---
"When life gives you zombies... *CHA-CHIK!* ...you make zombie-ade!"

Claudio Simoes Jun 30, 2009, 01:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hy,

I can't get the codes right.

My Toshiba Satellite A100-626 doesn't turn.

With AC and battery inserted, when I press POWER button, battery light blinks 10 times in regular intervals. Can this be translated into any error code.

Thanks all in advance,

BR

Tom Krotchko Jul 20, 2009, 10:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Toshiba A15-s129 that would occasionally freeze when rebooted with a flashing code. It only happened from time to time so I ignored it. Well, I pulled it out after a year of not using it and every time it reboots, I get the following code:

SLSSLSLL

Which following the advice of people here I have to reverse before I turn to hex, which comes in as

D2h

According to your chart, this corresponds to:

D2h
2R5-E1V voltage is not more than 2.125V when the computer is booting up.

Now, so far, if I pull the battery and AC adapter and wait a few seconds before attaching the battery or AC adapter it will boot, of course, it will fail when it comes to time to reboot.

So is 2R5-E1V some sort of chip on the MB? Or is it related to AC adapter and/or battery?

Tom Krotchko Jul 22, 2009, 09:37pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Did you ever resolve the issue? What was the root cause?

Tom Krotchko Jul 25, 2009, 07:04am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just as an update, I'm not sure what the error code meant, but I found a used motherboard on eBay for $58 and replaced it last night.

I used the instructions here:
http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/ToshibaA15/SatelliteA15_...mbly_1.htm

And now it works perfectly. My only question is whether or not replacing the RTC battery would work as well, but as the battery is an odd size and you do have to partially disassemble the laptop, I replaced the whole thing.

Two other questions:
1) I have a 1G memory chip in this thing, but it doesn't seem to like adding any more memory as it beeps several times when started if I have more than 1G. Is that the limit?

2) The CPU is replaceable. Can it be replaced with a faster or upgraded chip?

Taking the laptop apart is moderately difficult, although if you're patient it all works fine. Unfortunately, I have 3 screws left over, but nothing seems to be amiss, so I won't lose sleep over it.

One last thing, I had put Vista on this, and the laptop is simply too slow with this OS on it. Stick with XP on it; it works well enough with 1GB of RAM. If you could get a smallish SSD cheap, it might be a good upgrade for speed and battery life.

mike eddins Sep 21, 2009, 03:13am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
could anybody possibly tell me what the heck this means?

2R5-E1V voltage is not more than 2.125V when the computer is suspended.

Is this a power supply issue? Or a motherboard issue? where is 2R5-E1V?

Ronnie Smith Oct 01, 2009, 10:52pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Oct 01, 2009, 11:18pm EDT

Hi guys, newbie here, some help would be greatly appreciated.

Toshiba Satellite 5100-503
Flashing code is read as LSLSSSLS
I therefore take that to be written the correct way as 01000101 and not 10100010.
I'm getting 0x45 for 01000101 and 0xA2 for 10100010. Is that right?
So using 01000101 as the correct written way for LSLSSSLS then I need to use 0x45?
Could someone tell me if this correct and what this error code means please?
thanks.

Tom Krotchko Oct 02, 2009, 06:21am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
If it's 45h, then it's:
S3V voltage is 3.14V or less when the computer is booting up.(CV support)

if it's A2h, then it's:
E3V voltage is 2.81V or less when the computer is booting up.

Based on my understanding of how to read the codes, that would be 45h.

I think the issue is that these are motherboard problems. Given the construction of the motherboard (all surface mounted components) you need to track down a motherboard and replace it. The motherboards run about $50US on eBay and take about 1-2 hours to replace. If you're moderately handy and careful, you can easily do it yourself (see my post earlier on the topic).

Ronnie Smith Oct 02, 2009, 06:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hi, thank you for your help. what did you mean by (CV support) on the 45h description?

Tom Krotchko Oct 02, 2009, 07:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I wish I knew. I got those from the repair manual I downloaded somewhere on the web.

I suspect it's some voltage to some chip that must be terribly important. ;)

Ronnie Smith Oct 06, 2009, 01:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
could you supply me with the link for the repair manual please? i've looked for a few days now and can't find it anywhere! thanks.

Quinn Griff Nov 21, 2009, 10:43am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have an LED code 00101000 which proceeds ..-.-,,, or dot-dot-dash-dot-dash-dot.dot.dot

I am so confused by people as ignorant as me trying to help I have read 62 statements about hex-decmal from binary,,,(just for the guy that say to use my pc's calc, IT WILL NOT LET ME PUT 0000's in until a 1 is entered)

I read many people translate codes left to right, and about 5 people who said right to left

either way I either get 20dec14hex or 40dec28hex
neither show up on any forums

I have pulled apart my laptop, bought a similar model switched and swaped possible power cards (batt,HD) found the battary cars cable, seemed bad so I fixed it, examined the MoBo I saw a litte corrotion in some PBC "thru holes" under the DVD drive section, cleaned it, considered homemade electralisys after vinager on a Qtip to restore lost copper....

still I am at a loss, I am determined to isolate what the issue is, somebody please help me.

thank you

Biagio Palladino Jan 11, 2010, 07:31pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Gent.mo Forum:ho un toshiba A100-114 con o senza la batteria,quando premo power lampeggia il led arancione della batteria per 10 volte ad uguale intermittenza breve.Io non sono molto bravo a decifrare i codici,ma vi prego, possibile sapere dove l'errore?Grazie >:o

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.