Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1168 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 18 - 05:42am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>
Gert Frobe Apr 18, 2009, 07:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
Hi Willie,

One last question if you don't mind. I've now disassembled the computer and taken out the motherboard and am looking at the power jack, which actually seems nice and tight. Should a fault such as a loose connection be noticeable? I'm really just trying to be as sure as possible that the problem is the power jack before I spend the 50 bucks to have a new one soldered on :)

Thanks
Gert

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Laptop Willie Apr 18, 2009, 11:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Gert Frobe said:
Hi Willie,

One last question if you don't mind. I've now disassembled the computer and taken out the motherboard and am looking at the power jack, which actually seems nice and tight. Should a fault such as a loose connection be noticeable? I'm really just trying to be as sure as possible that the problem is the power jack before I spend the 50 bucks to have a new one soldered on :)

Thanks
Gert

Gert,
If you're asking for a guarantee, I can't give you that. I can say that it is the most likely cause of the problem. Yes, I still think that is true from what you've said. The connector itself has been known to be the cause of this type of problem as well as the connection problems to the motherboard.
If you're only paying $50 for the repair, I think you're getting a good deal. I have to charge $75 plus parts and shipping for this repair.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com
Gert Frobe Apr 18, 2009, 12:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Will do. Thanks.

Gert Frobe Apr 22, 2009, 01:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 22, 2009, 02:12pm EDT

Well, unfortunately bad luck. Purchased new DC jack and had it professionally soldered but still having same problem. Not getting anything on screen on startup but have been able to get it going a few times by wiggling the adapter in the jack a bit. It's running at moment but I'm afraid to move it or turn it off!

Any additional suggestions? I suppose I could remove the motherboard once again and ask soldering place to double check that all is OK but otherwise a bit stumped.

EDIT: Just a bit of extra info. Thought my battery might have some juice in it so tried to start with AC unplugged. No luck at first but when I pushed down hard on the plastic near the power button, I got it running on battery. Then plugged in AC and it battery is now charging.

I'm guessing now that it's not the AC jack. Could it perhaps be a slight crack or something in the motherboard that is rectifying itself when I push down on the computer in certain places?

Thanks all.

peter wilson May 22, 2009, 06:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: May 22, 2009, 06:20pm EDT

ive got a 5160 which wouldnt boot.ive changed the jack and no joy.i resoldered the lv14c chip and the laptop now boots from a charged battery.i tried a charger which works in a 5150.but the laptop bios says its not recognised.the original 5160 charger wont work in both laptops.is the charger going through the lv14c chip?(maybe ive not soldered the chip right).or maybe something to do with the new jack.or the chargers.i am at a deadend here.

thanks all

Laptop Willie May 22, 2009, 06:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
peter wilson said:
ive got a 5160 which wouldnt boot.ive changed the jack and no joy.i resoldered the lv14c chip and the laptop now boots from a charged battery.i tried a charger which works in a 5150.but the laptop bios says its not recognised.the original 5160 charger wont work in both laptops.is the charger going through the lv14c chip?(maybe ive not soldered the chip right).or maybe something to do with the new jack.or the chargers.i am at a deadend here.

thanks all

Pete,
The mostly likely cause of the problem is either the connector center pin or the adapter(charger) has a different power rating than the original. The center pin of the connector is used by the computer to tell which adapter is being used. this was suppose to reduce fires from over heating adapters.

Laptop Willie
peter wilson May 22, 2009, 06:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanks willie for the ultra fast reply.should the 5150 charger work on the 5160 as it is the same charger.also have you any idea what chip the center pin goes to is it the bios chip?.
i will check out your site as well.thanks again

Laptop Willie May 22, 2009, 06:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'm not sure which chip does the deed. I do know that if the pin isn't solder correctly on the top and bottom of the board, the problem you're having can happen. I've changed many of them, and experienced many of the problems that comes from improper soldering of the pins.

Laptop Willie
peter wilson May 22, 2009, 06:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanks willie i didnt solder on top only under where the pins go through.i will try again tomorrow.and post the results.

peter wilson May 23, 2009, 04:47pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
does anyone know what voltage should be coming from the center pin on the jack(data pin for charger)on the 5160.thanks

Laptop Willie May 23, 2009, 05:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Pete.
I've done some checking and found that the adapter for the 5160 is a 130 watt supply. The original for the 5150 should be a 95 watt. So the adapter for the 5160 should work for either, but the 5150 adapter should not work for the 5160.
I've checked the voltage on the 5150 but don't remember what it was.( I've slept since then.:)) You don't have the computer powered on the check this voltage. It should read the same when it is just charging the battery. It may be time to get a 10X magnifier and check for broken joints and runs around the adapter connector of the motherboard.

Have a Blessed day. Let us know how it goes.

Laptop Willie
peter wilson May 23, 2009, 05:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanks again willie i am going to go for a mates power supply.i will let you all know.thanks

tony gee Jul 07, 2009, 03:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have 1150 no display problem, but not exactly like most people met. chargeing looks like working great, press power on button, fan runs, no display, I replaced CPU, no change. I resolder LV41c, no change. I tested the voltage between center pin and ground , it's only 2.85v rather than 12V, I think this is the culprit. But how can I fix it?
Anyone can help me

tony gee Jul 07, 2009, 03:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 07, 2009, 03:35am EDT

I have 1150 no display problem, but not exactly like most people met. Charging looks like good, press "power on" button, fan runs but no display, I replaced CPU, no change. I resolder LV41c, no change. I checked the voltage between center pin and ground , it's only 2.85v rather than 12V, I think this is the culprit. But how can I fix it?
Anyone can help me?

Laptop Willie Jul 07, 2009, 08:01am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 07, 2009, 01:13pm EDT

tony gee said:
I have 1150 no display problem, but not exactly like most people met. Charging looks like good, press "power on" button, fan runs but no display, I replaced CPU, no change. I resolder LV41c, no change. I checked the voltage between center pin and ground , it's only 2.85v rather than 12V, I think this is the culprit. But how can I fix it?
Anyone can help me?

Tony,
The center pin of the power "brick" is not the power supplying part of the adapter. It the voltage that tell the CPU which adapter is in use. The 2.85v is about right. The adapter really has three connections to the laptop. The outer ring is the ground, the inter ring is for power, and the center pin is attached to a voltage regulating diode in the adapter. This voltage is detected by the laptop and will give a message when the adapter can't supply enough power for the laptop. Usually the higher power (in watts) the better. Hope this helps..
Edit to add question: Have you been able to check this system with an external monitor?

Laptop Willie
tony gee Jul 07, 2009, 09:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 07, 2009, 09:18pm EDT

Thanks a lot Willie! I have tried three ac adapters: 60w, 90w, 130w(all tested with my D600, work), but laptop is still no display either with LCD or external monitor (charging works, fan runs when pressed power button).

Laptop Willie Jul 08, 2009, 07:59am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
tony gee said:
Thanks a lot Willie! I have tried three ac adapters: 60w, 90w, 130w(all tested with my D600, work), but laptop is still no display either with LCD or external monitor (charging works, fan runs when pressed power button).

It would appear, then, that the video BGA chip has popped a connection. This is not uncommon with the 1150, 5150 series Dells. It may be cost effective to replace the motherboard. It really depends on how much you value the information on the hard drive, and how attached you are to the 1150. These mother boards may be had on eBay for a reasonable price. Just be sure to use someone with a 99% or better customer rating.

Laptop Willie
peter wilson Jul 17, 2009, 03:16am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
tony gee said:
I have 1150 no display problem, but not exactly like most people met. chargeing looks like working great, press power on button, fan runs, no display, I replaced CPU, no change. I resolder LV41c, no change. I tested the voltage between center pin and ground , it's only 2.85v rather than 12V, I think this is the culprit. But how can I fix it?
Anyone can help me

when i test the center pin i get fluctuating from 0v up to 2,something then back to 0v over and over.ive fitted a new jack and bought new power supply from ebay,any ideas thanks.

Laptop Willie Jul 17, 2009, 10:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
peter wilson said:

when i test the center pin i get fluctuating from 0v up to 2,something then back to 0v over and over.ive fitted a new jack and bought new power supply from ebay,any ideas thanks.

Peter, I'm assuming that you have the adapter connected to the laptop. If so you must be sure that the jack is properly soldered top and bottom of the system board. If these check out then check that the LED on the power brick stays lit. If this checks, you may have a short on the system board. It would most likely be in the re-solder area. Hope this helps.

Laptop Willie
peter wilson Jul 17, 2009, 05:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
thanks willie i will check again.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.