Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1073 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 18 - 07:36am EST 
Hardware Analysis
      
Forums Product Prices
  Contents 
 
 

  Latest Topics 
 

More >>
 

    
 
 

  You Are Here: 
 
/ Forums / Portable Hardware /
 

  Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems. 
 
 Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>
yuye04 sandra Aug 07, 2009, 12:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
I need help. I guess my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1150) is having powering problems
I love my Dell, but have many problems with the AC adapter few months ago, unfortunately, I didn't know you must not move the computer with the power lead plugged in, and I suppose this movement damage the connection to the system board, because I can't run the computer normally, only run on windows failure mode. I send the laptop with a technician (here in Mexico) because the machine is out of Dell's warranty, and he cannot find the problem, he checks the jack, the ac adapter. the system. viruses, etc.

I read your comments, and hope in my case the final solution will not be involve with motherboard replacement, but if is the way to fix the problem, I will do.
I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
~Vel Aug 07, 2009, 01:08am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
Can you further explain the problem you're having? Are you saying you can only boot into Windows safe mode?

ABE1 Meyers Aug 07, 2009, 02:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Aug 07, 2009, 03:06pm EDT

 
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
Like everyone else I have had the power plug problem. I replace the DC Plug, powered up and get 10 flashing yellow (battery light) and thats it. My question is a two part one.
1. The 10 flashing yellows, is that a code for the battery being completely dead?
2. Will the 1150 power on without the battery inserted in the laptop? (AC only) I looked all over the internet and could not find the answer to this question, I would appreciate a answer please if possible. Anyway this Inspiron 1150 will not power on with the battery out and AC adapter pluged in. Does this indicate I have more problems? I don't want to pay out the $$ for a battery if there are more problems. Thanks for your help..

~Vel Aug 07, 2009, 03:58pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
yuye04 sandra said:
I need help. I guess my laptop (Dell Inspiron 1150) is having powering problems
I love my Dell, but have many problems with the AC adapter few months ago, unfortunately, I didn't know you must not move the computer with the power lead plugged in, and I suppose this movement damage the connection to the system board, because I can't run the computer normally, only run on windows failure mode. I send the laptop with a technician (here in Mexico) because the machine is out of Dell's warranty, and he cannot find the problem, he checks the jack, the ac adapter. the system. viruses, etc.

I read your comments, and hope in my case the final solution will not be involve with motherboard replacement, but if is the way to fix the problem, I will do.
I hope you can help me. Thanks in advance


If you have any files, back them up on a flash drive or external hard drive if possible so you don't lose your important files. Following this, re-install Windows.

Clive Fairbrass Aug 14, 2009, 06:05pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
I have come across this problem on several Del laptops, the one today a Latitude D600.
There is a Central Control PCB containing Power, Volume Up/Down and Mute bottons.
This PCB has a Dual in-line plug which mates into a socket on the motherboard.
The socket has 20 surface-mount solder tags along one side.
These tags become detatched although they look OK, and need re-soldering.
You need a jewellers eye glass or loupes, a very fine solder tip (best to use heat controlled 60 watt iron, eg. Weller), fine gauge (22 SWG) solder and a steady hand, take care not to bridge adjacent tags.
First though don't forget to disconnect AC power and battery.
Good luck.
Clive.

Laptop Willie Sep 18, 2009, 03:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
ABE1 Meyers said:
Like everyone else I have had the power plug problem. I replace the DC Plug, powered up and get 10 flashing yellow (battery light) and that's it. My question is a two part one.
1. The 10 flashing yellows, is that a code for the battery being completely dead?
2. Will the 1150 power on without the battery inserted in the laptop? (AC only) I looked all over the Internet and could not find the answer to this question, I would appreciate a answer please if possible. Anyway this Inspiron 1150 will not power on with the battery out and AC adapter plugged in. Does this indicate I have more problems? I don't want to pay out the $$ for a battery if there are more problems. Thanks for your help..


As to #1 I don't know that there is a code involved, but the battery is dead.
As to #2 the laptop WILL start and run from just the adapter if it is the correct adapter for the laptop.
Dell has a system that checks what adapter is plugged into the connector. If the power rating isn't high enough, it will display that the adapter is incorrect.
As to the unit not powering on, you should re-look at the connections for the adapter connector to include the center pin. that's the one that will cause errors because the trace is so small.

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com
Senthil Pad Sep 22, 2009, 05:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Sep 22, 2009, 05:11pm EDT

 
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
Exact same problem. I have 1150 Dell laptop. When I connect the AC adapter to the DC jack, sometimes it charges the battery and some times and it wont. When I checked the DC jack I found that it was too loose. I removed the DC jack and ordered a new DC jack. In the mean time I was using my laptop using my charged battery (usually it holds for 1 hr) and the charge went to zero and shuts down. Today I received the DC jack and I connected to the mother board. When I insert the AC adapter to the Jack, 2 LEDs flashes for a second (power and battery LED). When I press the power button, the battery LED flashes once or twice in orange color and then nothing happens. When I remove the battery then the 2 LEDs (power and battery) flashes once in every 10 seconds and nothing happens. I am sure that I connected the DC jack properly as mentioned in this forum. What am I missing ?


Laptop Willie Sep 22, 2009, 06:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Sep 22, 2009, 06:16pm EDT

 
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
Senthil Pad said:
Exact same problem. I have 1150 Dell laptop. When I connect the AC adapter to the DC jack, sometimes it charges the battery and some times and it wont. When I checked the DC jack I found that it was too loose. I removed the DC jack and ordered a new DC jack. In the mean time I was using my laptop using my charged battery (usually it holds for 1 hr) and the charge went to zero and shuts down. Today I received the DC jack and I connected to the mother board. When I insert the AC adapter to the Jack, 2 LEDs flashes for a second (power and battery LED). When I press the power button, the battery LED flashes once or twice in orange color and then nothing happens. When I remove the battery then the 2 LEDs (power and battery) flashes once in every 10 seconds and nothing happens. I am sure that I connected the DC jack properly as mentioned in this forum. What am I missing ?


It is very easy to miss a bad connection to the center pin as I said before. You might try connecting to an external monitor and see if the thing works then. If so, a ground wire connection is loose. BTW there are 6 ground connections to the jack and why a broken ground to the video jack would cause this kind of error only Dell can answer.


Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com
chris Swanson Sep 24, 2009, 05:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
This is a very good forum. Thanks everyone, especially laptop willie. I have an 1150 with a power problem. The symptom is that my ability to charge the battery is sporadic. Sometimes you can jiggle the plug in the power jack to make it charge and sometimes you cannot. Also, if the computer gets hot, then typically it will switch from AC charging mode to battery mode and you have to turn off the computer to get it to start charging again. After reading the board I have done the following things. I connected an external monitor which had no effect. I connected a wire between the outer cylindrical metal of the plug with the external video connector shield. This had no effect. I soldered a small wire between the center pin contact and the PL24 contact point as suggested. Also I soldered a wire between one of the two central contact points from the jack to one of the four ground contacts as suggested by Bruno, I believe. After this soldering it appears as if the charging is a little more robust than before. However, when the computer gets hot, the computer will still switch to battery mode with the AC adapter still plugged in. I suspect that there is some temperature dependent trace or connection which is bad, but I don't know which is the most likely place for the failure. I have not purchased a new jack and replaced it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Laptop Willie Sep 24, 2009, 05:57pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
chris Swanson said:
This is a very good forum. Thanks everyone, especially laptop willie. I have an 1150 with a power problem. The symptom is that my ability to charge the battery is sporadic. Sometimes you can jiggle the plug in the power jack to make it charge and sometimes you cannot. Also, if the computer gets hot, then typically it will switch from AC charging mode to battery mode and you have to turn off the computer to get it to start charging again. After reading the board I have done the following things. I connected an external monitor which had no effect. I connected a wire between the outer cylindrical metal of the plug with the external video connector shield. This had no effect. I soldered a small wire between the center pin contact and the PL24 contact point as suggested. Also I soldered a wire between one of the two central contact points from the jack to one of the four ground contacts as suggested by Bruno, I believe. After this soldering it appears as if the charging is a little more robust than before. However, when the computer gets hot, the computer will still switch to battery mode with the AC adapter still plugged in. I suspect that there is some temperature dependent trace or connection which is bad, but I don't know which is the most likely place for the failure. I have not purchased a new jack and replaced it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Chris,
There is one other thing that affects all laptops. That is air flow. It sounds as if your system need the CPU heat exchanger cleaned. The 1150 and 5150 are bad about picking dust bunnies and chocking the air flow that is suppose to cool the CPU. If you have taken apart the system and repaired the adaptor connector, then you are able to get to this area very easily. It is not enough to clean the fan. You must clean the grill fins as well. When you replace the heat-exchanger, be sure to use a small amount of heat sync compound on the CPU. I also suggest cutting a coffee filter to cover the air intake on the bottom side of the laptop and taping it over the intake. This will collect the dust that would normally get sucked into the laptop and clog the exchanger. (No extra charge for this tip:))

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com
chris Swanson Sep 24, 2009, 09:30pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
Laptop Willie said:
chris Swanson said:
This is a very good forum. Thanks everyone, especially laptop willie. I have an 1150 with a power problem. The symptom is that my ability to charge the battery is sporadic. Sometimes you can jiggle the plug in the power jack to make it charge and sometimes you cannot. Also, if the computer gets hot, then typically it will switch from AC charging mode to battery mode and you have to turn off the computer to get it to start charging again. After reading the board I have done the following things. I connected an external monitor which had no effect. I connected a wire between the outer cylindrical metal of the plug with the external video connector shield. This had no effect. I soldered a small wire between the center pin contact and the PL24 contact point as suggested. Also I soldered a wire between one of the two central contact points from the jack to one of the four ground contacts as suggested by Bruno, I believe. After this soldering it appears as if the charging is a little more robust than before. However, when the computer gets hot, the computer will still switch to battery mode with the AC adapter still plugged in. I suspect that there is some temperature dependent trace or connection which is bad, but I don't know which is the most likely place for the failure. I have not purchased a new jack and replaced it. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Chris,
There is one other thing that affects all laptops. That is air flow. It sounds as if your system need the CPU heat exchanger cleaned. The 1150 and 5150 are bad about picking dust bunnies and chocking the air flow that is suppose to cool the CPU. If you have taken apart the system and repaired the adaptor connector, then you are able to get to this area very easily. It is not enough to clean the fan. You must clean the grill fins as well. When you replace the heat-exchanger, be sure to use a small amount of heat sync compound on the CPU. I also suggest cutting a coffee filter to cover the air intake on the bottom side of the laptop and taping it over the intake. This will collect the dust that would normally get sucked into the laptop and clog the exchanger. (No extra charge for this tip:))


Thanks for the tip. I have recently (2 months ago) replaced the cooling unit because the fan bearing was rattling. I noticed that the copper grill was very clean when I removed it to get to the motherboard. I suppose that the connection between the CPU and the heat exchanger unit might be bad, although I did use grease. I can try to regrease it. I noticed that a couple of other posts (e.g. Rueben Gutierrez on Feb 17th) suggested heat related issues. So I thought maybe there might be a known heat related crack or solder problem with the power jack or circuit. I am still not absolutely sure it is heat since the computer goes to sleep if I leave it alone for a while, which should cool things down. But the charging won't start up again until it is fully powered down (I think!).

milly dou Sep 25, 2009, 01:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
In the last days,I buy a table computer online,but I operate it not for a long time,its screen turn black,whatever measure I take,the computer can't operate properly,so i call the after-sale of Dell,but at finally somthing wrong with my computer can't be solved,so now I never trust the product quality of Dell
All kinds of mobile phone are exhibited on http://www.nowsupplier,you may choose to buy any item.

Laptop Willie Sep 28, 2009, 11:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Sep 28, 2009, 11:48am EDT

 
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
Excuse the double post.

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com
Laptop Willie Sep 28, 2009, 11:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
milly dou said:
In the last days,I buy a table computer online,but I operate it not for a long time,its screen turn black,whatever measure I take,the computer can't operate properly,so i call the after-sale of Dell,but at finally somthing wrong with my computer can't be solved,so now I never trust the product quality of Dell
All kinds of mobile phone are exhibited on http://www.nowsupplier,you may choose to buy any item.

Milly,
While I understand you frustration with the Dell desktop computer, this part of this web site, is for Portable hardware such as laptops. Trade your Dell in on a good HP.:)

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com
Rob Duggan Oct 20, 2009, 11:03pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Oct 20, 2009, 11:04pm EDT

 
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
Bill K said:
Can anyone confirm for me pin outs for the DC jack, I want to build a test jig to test the motherboard before springing for the new dc jack.....


Hi Bill,

We have exactly what you are looking for at http://www.notebookpowerjacks.com
A full pinout of the Dell 9-Pin DC Power Jack. Please let me know if you need any other help!

Rob D.
http://www.notebookpowerjacks.com


mal conductor Dec 29, 2009, 03:41pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
Lap top Willy,

Please help.

I have a Dell1150.
A few days ago the laptop said it could not recognize the power adapter.

Then, on the internet I found someone who said that one of the connectors on the power jack had to be resoldered. I opened the laptop, but the power jack look good. I did not solder anything.

But now, when I turn on the laptop I can hear the hard drive start for about 30 sec, the fan keeps running. Nothing more. Laptop does not bootup. No video signal at any point.

I tries plugging in an external monitor and same as described above.

It seems that it got sorse because now I don't even get the "power adapter not recognized error". I am hoping it's beacasue the battery has no charge.

Your thoughts please. Did I damage the insides qhen I opened it? How to know?

Thannk you so much. You are helping lots of people.



Laptop Willie Jan 06, 2010, 09:28am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
mal conductor said:
Lap top Willy,

Please help.

I have a Dell1150.
A few days ago the laptop said it could not recognize the power adapter.

Then, on the internet I found someone who said that one of the connectors on the power jack had to be resoldered. I opened the laptop, but the power jack look good. I did not solder anything.

But now, when I turn on the laptop I can hear the hard drive start for about 30 sec, the fan keeps running. Nothing more. Laptop does not bootup. No video signal at any point.

I tries plugging in an external monitor and same as described above.

It seems that it got sorse because now I don't even get the "power adapter not recognized error". I am hoping it's beacasue the battery has no charge.

Your thoughts please. Did I damage the insides qhen I opened it? How to know?

Thannk you so much. You are helping lots of people.



Lets start with the original problem. Three things could cause this problem. 1) A broken wire in the A.C. adapter plug. This is usually the center pin of the connector. 2) A broken connection on the connector of the motherboard. Although it may look good, the connection may be broken on the inside of the connector. 3) A wrong A.C. adapter for the unit. Some folks will replace the adapter with an adapter which is lower wattage than required by the laptop and will get this error.

Your present problem is most likely because something isn't seated properly. Try re-seating the memory and any other connections. making sure not to damage any of them. Make sure that the CPU fan is making proper contact with the CPU. Try removing the Hard drive and DVD and rebooting to see if one may be damaged. If none of these work, it's time to replace the motherboard because it has been damaged by flexing and over heating. This is a common problem for the 1150, 5150 series Dells.
Good luck

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com
mal conductor Jan 06, 2010, 02:21pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
Laptop Willie said:
mal conductor said:
Lap top Willy,

Please help.

I have a Dell1150.
A few days ago the laptop said it could not recognize the power adapter.

Then, on the internet I found someone who said that one of the connectors on the power jack had to be resoldered. I opened the laptop, but the power jack look good. I did not solder anything.

But now, when I turn on the laptop I can hear the hard drive start for about 30 sec, the fan keeps running. Nothing more. Laptop does not bootup. No video signal at any point.

I tries plugging in an external monitor and same as described above.

It seems that it got sorse because now I don't even get the "power adapter not recognized error". I am hoping it's beacasue the battery has no charge.

Your thoughts please. Did I damage the insides qhen I opened it? How to know?

Thannk you so much. You are helping lots of people.



Lets start with the original problem. Three things could cause this problem. 1) A broken wire in the A.C. adapter plug. This is usually the center pin of the connector. 2) A broken connection on the connector of the motherboard. Although it may look good, the connection may be broken on the inside of the connector. 3) A wrong A.C. adapter for the unit. Some folks will replace the adapter with an adapter which is lower wattage than required by the laptop and will get this error.

Your present problem is most likely because something isn't seated properly. Try re-seating the memory and any other connections. making sure not to damage any of them. Make sure that the CPU fan is making proper contact with the CPU. Try removing the Hard drive and DVD and rebooting to see if one may be damaged. If none of these work, it's time to replace the motherboard because it has been damaged by flexing and over heating. This is a common problem for the 1150, 5150 series Dells.
Good luck


Lets start with the original problem. Three things could cause this problem. 1) A broken wire in the A.C. adapter plug. This is usually the center pin of the connector. 2) A broken connection on the connector of the motherboard. Although it may look good, the connection may be broken on the inside of the connector. 3) A wrong A.C. adapter for the unit. Some folks will replace the adapter with an adapter which is lower wattage than required by the laptop and will get this error.

Thank you.
1- I went to a laptop repair shop ( I did not leave my laptop for service). At this shop we tried my power adapter on another laptop (I have am Inspiro 1150, we tried it on a Latitude 600). The Latitude did not give the error mesage and even booted up with no battery only my adapter plugged.

2- I have ordered a power jack and will be soldering it when it arrives

3- I have been using the same power adapter since I bought the machine new

3A- At this shop we also tried one of their power adapters on my laptop and nothing.
When I took apart my laptop I did not remove any memory. The CPU came off the board becasue it is glued to the fan. I removed the fan thinking it was only the fan but the CPU came off. The fan has some bolts. I just tightened the bolts thinking that the CPU will be pushed into place by the force of the bolts.

Thank you

Laptop Willie Jan 06, 2010, 03:16pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.


3- I have been using the same power adapter since I bought the machine new

3A- At this shop we also tried one of their power adapters on my laptop and nothing.
When I took apart my laptop I did not remove any memory. The CPU came off the board because it is glued to the fan. I removed the fan thinking it was only the fan but the CPU came off. The fan has some bolts. I just tightened the bolts thinking that the CPU will be pushed into place by the force of the bolts.

Thank you[/quote]

While the CPU was "glued " to the fan, this is not the proper, when reinstalling the CPU, It was not intended to be glued to the fan. What needs to happen is remove the CPU and fan. You will see the CPU socket on one side of the socket, will be a screw head. On either side of this will be a lock symbol and an unlock symbol. You must place this ion the unlock position. You will have to remove the CPU from the fan taking great care not to bend any of the pins on the CPU.(Yes, it does come apart.) Be careful not to scratch them. Once they are apart, clean both the fan and the CPU top. Now you can install the CPU into its socket. Lock the socket. You will need to apply a small amount of heat sync compound to the top of the CPU. You can now install the fan. Check connections and Pray that the CPU/socket was not damaged.

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com
paul Feb 28, 2010, 06:07pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
HI
I have an Dell 1150 with power problem. The problem is the power light and battery light blink at the same time when I plug in my power adpter, I have used a new Dell oem pa12 and pa10 powersupply but the both light still blinks and dose not power up when I press the power on button and help is greatful


Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>

 

    
 
 

  Topic Tools 
 
RSS UpdatesRSS Updates
 

  Related Articles 
 
 

  Newsletter 
 
A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.