Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1418 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 18 - 11:44am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>
Mark Bruno Oct 01, 2006, 11:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
Plugging in the external monitor connector now allows the unit to power up, it worked! However, I don't get any video, and after about 10 seconds, the unit powers off. Is this still part of the problem with the power connector?

Thanks,

Mark

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Laptop Willie Oct 03, 2006, 02:41pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
No Mark, you have other problems. More than likely, the unit has overheated and the CPU is toast.

Laptop Willie
Checkout laptopwillie.com
Chris Skrzypchak Dec 08, 2006, 03:48pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just wanted to let everyone know who reads this post that there is a class action lawsuit pending against Dell on the 1150. If you are having problems, please report them at http://www.lieffcabraser.com/dell-inspiron-3.htm

Garrett Franklin Dec 09, 2006, 09:29am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
The link you have posted does not work. Can you please post a link that does work? And thank you for the link, I hope a larger precentage of people can participate in this suit as it is an extremely common problem.

Chris Skrzypchak Jan 14, 2007, 09:46am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sorry about the link. You will just have to type it in your Address bar. For some reason it is adding the http://www.hardwareanalysis.com URL to the link as well so it does not work. I also read an article yesterday from a Canadian newspaper out of Ontario that said they are also filing a class action lawsuit in Canada against Dell.

SHARON DAVIES Jan 22, 2007, 03:55pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Bruno,
Your a genius! (*see his posting dated Aug. 14, 2006)
People, here is a $5 & 5 minute fix to the Dell Inspiron 1150 power problem - literally!!! I just soldered a connection between one of the center ground pins and one of the outside pins on the DC Jack and WHA-LA! POWER! .... A nice, steady green light FINALLY! If I can do this, anyone can. I have never soldered anything before in my life. If you want step-by-step instructions (bruno does a pretty good job), let me know and I can help you :) I am so thrilled.......this was a $1,000 piece of junk 5 minutes ago!

~Sharon

Bruno Marchon Jan 22, 2007, 05:01pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sharon: glad someone finally had success with this method. I was as thrilled as you are when I saw the green light. Cheers.

Marcus DaCosta Jan 23, 2007, 12:20pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
SHARON DAVIES said:
Bruno,
Your a genius! (*see his posting dated Aug. 14, 2006)
People, here is a $5 & 5 minute fix to the Dell Inspiron 1150 power problem - literally!!! I just soldered a connection between one of the center ground pins and one of the outside pins on the DC Jack and WHA-LA! POWER! .... A nice, steady green light FINALLY! If I can do this, anyone can. I have never soldered anything before in my life. If you want step-by-step instructions (bruno does a pretty good job), let me know and I can help you :) I am so thrilled.......this was a $1,000 piece of junk 5 minutes ago!

~Sharon

Chris Wagar Mar 28, 2007, 09:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Chris Skrzypchak said:
Sorry about the link. You will just have to type it in your Address bar. For some reason it is adding the http://www.hardwareanalysis.com URL to the link as well so it does not work. I also read an article yesterday from a Canadian newspaper out of Ontario that said they are also filing a class action lawsuit in Canada against Dell.

Hi everyone!

Chris, do you know which newspaper and when you read about the lawsuit in Canada? I would like to find more information about the lawsuit because I live in Canada and am having these problems with my 5150.

Chris Wagar Mar 29, 2007, 03:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
my laptop is having the same problem. I had it fixed by Dell 2 or 3 times already but now I am out of warranty. I bought a replacement jack and then took the motherboard into the ITS department of my university. they did tests(maybe using a vom or something like that) and said the dc jack looks like its fine so they didnt solder the replacement on. I just found this thread and tried the external monitor trick. The battery light now lights up when i plug in the monitor. Does this mean that the dc jack is faulty and putting the new one on will fix my problem?
thx

Bruno Marchon Mar 29, 2007, 08:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yes, this means that the ground connection is faulty and you have to replace the jack. There is a simpler solution though if you know how to use a soldering iron (look earlier under my name)

Laptop Willie Mar 29, 2007, 08:53am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Bruno,
I wanted to thank you for your post on fixing this problem. I have placed your post in my Tech. Tips folder. It works. Now all I need is more 1150's to work on. Guess they're stuck away some where. :)

Laptop Willie
Checkout laptopwillie.com
Kishore Garnayak May 18, 2007, 02:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I too have same problem of power jack. Can you please guide me how you fixed your problem.

thanks a lot!
Kishore

Bruno Marchon May 18, 2007, 10:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Kishore: read my post earlier in this thread.

john smith May 28, 2007, 02:53pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Bruno

I have followed your instructions, however it has not made any difference. What I found is: when putting a meter across the centre and outside pins (the ones you connected) there is 0 resistance with or without having the DC jack plugged into the output. Which means they are in some way connected anyhow, so is pointless connecting them with a wire (they should be the correct pins, I have identified the 12v pins so I know I havent connected to them). All that happens when I plug the charger into the laptop and switch the power on, the power light and the battery light flash once, very quickly and simultaneously and thats it , nothing else. I know the motherboard is ok to the point where it can boot up the OS with the remaining power in the battery, but it just wont charge. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Bruno Marchon May 29, 2007, 12:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
John: when you measure zero ohms, is it possible that you are on the highest resistance scale of your meter, in which case it is possible that you still have a few kohms (those ohm-meters are very sensitive). I remember when I did that that there was in fact some residual (non-infinite) resistance across those 2 pins. Have you tried the trick anyway to see what happens ?

john smith May 29, 2007, 03:18pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Bruno thanks for replying so soon.

I have cranked the meter down to the lowest scale of just ohms instead of k ohms and there is no resistance whatsoever between the outer pins and the centre pins so they are all connected. I tried the trick that you came up with which I have tried to illustrate below:

^
[output]

Q O
\
O Q O
O

12vO O O12v
?

As you can see I connected a centre pin with an outer at the top left corner (I hope this is correct).

john smith May 29, 2007, 03:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Bruno thanks for replying so soon.

I have cranked the meter down to the lowest scale of just ohms instead of k ohms and there is no resistance whatsoever between the outer pins and the centre pins so they are all connected. I tried the trick that you came up with which I have tried to illustrate below:

^
[output]

Q\ O
\
O Q O
O

12v O O O 12v
?

As you can see I connected a centre pin with an outer pin at the top left corner (I hope this is correct). But when testing it with the meter I realised this would have no effect as there was zero resistance between the two to start with so what difference would the wire make? Dont know what that Pin is that sits between the two 12v pins either.
The problem orginally occured from the power jack gradually being pulled out of the MoBo, until the final time I went to plug the charger in and it just came out altogether, I then just attempted to solder it back in straight away thinking it would be fine, and then it when bootin up the laptop it came up with a message saying it could not find the AC adapter supply as though it didnt recognise it anymore. All that happens now when I plug the charger in is that the power light and battery light flash once very quickly and simultaneously and thats it.

I'm wondering if I should just order the new jack from eBay and fit the new one. But thinking it will be a waste of time if the power regulation is screwed on the MoBo. Any further ideas?

john smith May 29, 2007, 03:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
that drawing didnt come out too great sorry

Bruno Marchon May 29, 2007, 05:28pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Yeah, not sure what is happening. From the diagram you drew, it seems that the 12V pins are not where I saw them, so I wonder whether you might have created some sort of a short when you soldered the housing back in. Sorry that i can't help you any better than that. Good luck.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.