Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1183 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 02:14am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>
Sideshow Bob Jun 18, 2007, 07:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List

Edited: Jun 19, 2007, 11:19am EDT

>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
Bruno. Exactly which pins did you make the connection to? I connected the inside middle pin with the outside lower right pin (Outside lower right means pointing to the end of the mainboard where the AC Adapter plugs in). After that, when I plug in the AC Adapter, I get one flash of power and battery light and that's it. When I press the power button, I get on flash of the battery and power lights and then the battery light flashes orange a few times and stops. Machine doesn't come one. (battery is empty). One interesting difference in my situation is that, the AC Adapter I have for my Inspiron 1150 is the 65 Watt PA-12 Family 5U092. I did some research and apparently Dell sells the 90 Watt PA-10 Family UC473 AC Adapter for the Inspiron 1150. I theorize that replacing the AC Adapter may fix my problem. Let me know what you think.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Sideshow Bob Jun 20, 2007, 12:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
BUMP!! Anything new on this??

Bruno Marchon Jun 20, 2007, 08:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Bruno Marchon Jun 20, 2007, 08:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Not sure about the power adapter. For the pins, I think you did the right thing, although it's always difficult to judge when you don't see it. Have you used an ohm-meter to check the grounding path ?

Sideshow Bob Jun 20, 2007, 12:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I don't have access to an ohm meter.

I soldered the connections three times. The first time was to the center rear ground and bottom right outside pin (bottom being the end where the adapter fits into the DC Jack), then from the center ground to the bottom right outside pin, then from the center ground to the right outside pin. On each occasion after soldering the connections, when I plugged the adapter in, the power and battery light flash on the front once but it doesn't boot. With the battery out and the adapter plugged in, it doesn't boot, but the power light and batter light (orange for the battery light and green for the power light) flash intermittently. The DC Jack isn't damaged or loose. The reed switch isn't damaged, and that LV something something chip (can't remember the full name of it) that sits next to where the wireless card goes does not appear to be damaged. Bruno, can you send me a pic or diagram of which pins you soldered? Send me a PM of it if you can, and if not that way, I can PM you my e-mail address to get it.

Why do the power and battery lights flash once when I plug the adapter in with the battery in? Why do the power and battery lights flash intermittently when I have the battery out? The odd thing about mine is that I had it working fine until the laptop gave me an error message indicating that it didn't recognize my adapter and the adapter stopped working. I ordered a 90 watt adapter to replace this 65 Watt adapter and when it arrives, we will see if that fixes the problem. I will also update the Bios to A07, since that will certainly help. What do you think Bruno?

ernie howard Jun 22, 2007, 05:03am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have been having this problem too. I put a good battery in and the unit works perfectly. However, it acts like there is no adapter plugged in. The adapter works fine on my other 1150. I put a new dc jack in once and it worked for awhile, but stopped. I would like to try the grounding trick, but am a little confused on exact locations you are referring to. Could you post pictures or email them to me please?

Sideshow Bob Jun 22, 2007, 11:58am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
BUMP!! BRUNO!!! WHERE ARE YOU????

New adapter didn't work. I need to know exactly which pins you soldered. I keep picking the wrong ones. Can you post some sort of diagram or e-mail it to me? HELLLLLLLLLP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sideshow Bob Jun 23, 2007, 10:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I think I've found the solution to this. I found it here:

http://www.ihatedell.net/forum/phpBB2/inspiron-1150-dc-jack-mo...t5794.html

Thyda Lim Jun 25, 2007, 09:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
So I'm not a computer guru and I have been having issues with my laptop as well. My adaptor was loose before and I realized that it was because it had melted so the pins don't fit correctly. I thought that the adaptor was just old and bought a new one and it worked fine for a few months and it melted again! I would wiggle the thing around so that it would stay plugged in and charge. Later it got worse and I started to push the pins around so that it would fit. Today, one of the pins broke off and I have the pin still and I don't know what to do. Help? I don't know how to solder and I don't have the tools and probably can't afford it right now since I'm a VERY poor student who needs her laptop. Help? Please?

Sideshow Bob Jun 25, 2007, 10:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Is your Laptop an Inspiron 1150? I haven't ever heard of the Inspiron 1150 melting an AC adapter. It sounds like your laptop issue is somewhat different than the bad DC jack issue we're talking about here. If your DC Jack is heating up enough to melt your AC adapter, that's a serious fault that could be potentially dangerous to you. Is this laptop still under warranty?

Jay jones Jul 03, 2007, 01:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I'll apologize in advance for my computer illiteracy. That being said, here's my issue: over the past 3 yrs my battery life has gone from 4-5 hours to 10-15 minutes (my own fault, I had it plugged in for weeks on end). My laptop froze the other day, so I turned it off, waited a bit, then turned it on again. A black screen with a blinking dash came up in the top left corner, and stayed that way. I tried turning it on and off a few times then left it alone. Next day, I unplugged it and tried turning it on again. It turned on, and gave me the option of going into safe mode, which I did. I did a system restore, but then the battery started dying. So long story short, my laptop works when its not plugged into the AC adaptor, but then I don't have enough time to do anything before the battery dies. And it freezes the second I put the adaptor in, even if I get into safe mode first. So what's the issue? Do I replace the AC adaptor, or the battery, or do I have to go and have it taken apart? Thanks.

Sideshow Bob Jul 03, 2007, 09:19am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 03, 2007, 10:28am EDT

Ok,

First thing- Is your Laptop a Dell Inspiron 1150? If so, this problem sounds similar to what we are discussing here about our Dell Inspiron 1150s. To eliminate the AC Adapter as the cause of the problem, you can replace it first. If that does not resolve the issue, check this link out for the AC Adapter fix- http://www.ihatedell.net/forum/phpBB2/inspiron-1150-dc-jack-mo...5794.html. You'll have to get someone with computer repair knowledge and soldering experience to repair it. If that fix doesn't work, the DC Jack needs to be replaced and if replacing the DC Jack does nothing, then you're looking at system board replacement. Replacing the system board however doesn't guarantee that the trace from PL-24 to pin 2 doesn't become disconnected and need to be solder and let me tell you, having done it once with a magnifying glass, that is a royal betch to do.

I'll be replacing my DC Jack and re-doing the trace between PL-24 and pin 2 on Thursday. Will report back here with the results. In case that doesn't work, my GF is bringing me a replacement system board this weekend, so one way or the other, I'll get it fixed. Anyone who wants pics of the soldering of the trace between PL-24 and pin 2 from the DC jack, message me. I got that solution from a guy who provided me with the link above. PL-24 apparently recognizes your AC Adapter. When mine failed, I got that error message indicating that my laptop no longer recognized my AC Adapter. Replacing the AC Adapter didn't restore recognition of it.

Sideshow Bob Jul 10, 2007, 12:46pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Ok,

Soldering a new DC Jack onto the same system board didn't work. The System board was dead, so I replaced it but it still wouldn't live until I replaced the base plastic and keyboard as well. Once I did that, it booted and charged but then I discovered something very interesting as the Dell "Quickset" software reported to me that it could not recognize the AC adapter. Since the AC adapter was already replaced, I knew it wasn't defective, so I uninstalled the Quickset software and before doing it's mandatory reboot, The Laptop suddenly recognized the AC adapter. Whatever Quickset is supposed to do I do not know, but what I know that it has been doing on 2 Dell Inspiron 1150's that I've successfully repaired is cause them to randomly not recognize the AC adapter. Removal of the "Quickset software" resulted in no problems what so ever in the systems recognizing the AC adapter and charging multiple batteries successfully. So, before you replace your system board in that thing while you still have some charge left, remove Quickset immediately.

I found the Dell Fan Utility online but can't remember which site. You can google it and find it. Since I installed it, I can set it up to monitor temp and turn on the fan and I can also manually turn the fan on high at any time so as to keep air moving through that heatsink.

Irish Broderick Jul 20, 2007, 10:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hey guys, I have a question. I have the images from McKenna in regards to linking the PL-24 to the jack. I am having another issue as well.. or maybe I haven't soldered the new jack inplace properly.

When I plug in the AC adapter, instead of the once lights that everyone else is getting, I have getting a constinuous light on LED 1 and 3. However, they are faint and not solid as they should be. And, when I plug the battery in, the lights disappear. Any suggestions or comments? My battery is dead so I have no way of powering the laptop up at the moment and would really like to get this issue resolved.

Sideshow Bob Jul 21, 2007, 01:36am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 21, 2007, 01:38am EDT

This first time I did it, I thought that just soldering a new DC Jack on from the bottom was all I had to do in addition to the connection between pin 2 and PL24. Upon it not working again and me getting another new DC Jack, I soldered it on the bottom, but also went up top and soldered the the number 1 pins and number two pins on top. Upon reassmebly and reboot, I got lights number one (power) and light number 3 (battery charging) on and it has run smoothly ever since. Make sure you solder the top three pins at the top of the DC Jack on TOP of the board and it should work. At least it did for me. Like McKenna says, pins 1 are for power and pin 2 tells the board what your AC adapter is. Those three must have a solid connection for the DC Jack to charge batteries reliably.

Andras Gabris Sep 12, 2007, 12:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi, I also own a Dell 1150, and had problems with the power jack, took the thing apart, and had a spare part (6 euros from ebay) resoldered by an electrician. Amazing, that it works, powers up well! But.... the internal speakers are not working. The headphones are ok. Maybe I overlooked to plug back some kind of wire connection? Or it might be because the soldering approaches other stuff on the board (i know nothing about circuitry)?

I'm asking, because I don't want to take apart the thing again for nothing.... especially because the keyboard plugs are supposedly very very sensitive.......... anyone knows if there is a plug connecting the speakers to the board that I possibly forget to plug back?

thanks for any help, cheers; andy

Laptop Willie Sep 13, 2007, 11:40am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Andras,
There is a connection. If I recall, it is along the right side of the board. That would mean that it isn't near the power connector. It is also something that is easy to overlook when you want to get it back together. Good luck
Willie

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com
Andras Gabris Sep 13, 2007, 03:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Willie,

thanks for the response! I'll then get back to taking apart a computer on a regular basis, which i haven't done since a was a teen :)

best, Andy

Laptop Willie Sep 13, 2007, 03:48pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I do it to stay out trouble with Mrs. Laptop. Check out Laptopwillie.com. Good luck.

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com
Andras Gabris Sep 13, 2007, 04:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
cool site... the logo on the first page doesn't load on my portable computer..

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.