Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1154 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 08:03am EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>
Vee4 .com Oct 19, 2007, 11:48am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
I Have found a solution for this problem.

Symptoms : My Laptop ( Dell Inspiron 1150) would not boot when AC adapter is plugged in, but will boot when on battery (although would freeze while loading windows). When on battery if I plugged AC adapter the it would freeze.

Solution : Disconnect AC adapter and start the system on battery, while the booting is taking place press F2. In bios press ALT+P till you reach the page with option to disable speedstep. Here disable the speedstep and save settings and reboot.
If your windows now freezes while loading, press the power button to switch off the system and restart it. You will be shown the option to start in safe mode. Choose the safe mode option. when the windows load, go to control panel >> System >> hardware>>device manager>>processors>> now right click on your processor and click disable or uninstall.
Restart your system, now i will work prefectly on both battery and AC adapter. But only problem is that the processor will be locked on low speed.

I am going post further research into this problem here and also on my website with photos at http://www.Vee4.com

If u guys figure out the reason for this problem, please do let me know

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
james sheldon Oct 28, 2007, 01:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
i had a power problem the power plug came unsaudered from the board wel it charges now and evey thing comes on now but the fan starts and the cd-rom comes on and it souds like the hard drive comes on but thats all it does, even if the ac dapter is unpluged and an external monitor is hooked up it does notheing on the screen not even a beep on the speaker

can some one help please

Laptop Willie Nov 08, 2007, 05:49pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 08, 2007, 05:51pm EST

James,
There are several things that could be happening. If you have read these four pages, then you know most of them. As with all computers, check that the memory is seated, make sure there are no CD in the drive that the system may be trying to boot to. If these are O.K., then try removing the Hard drive, CD Rom drive and all but one stick of memory. If it doesn't boot up then you more than likely have a bad CPU. Most likely caused by over heating. If it does, then add the items you removed one at a time until it doesn't work. That would be your bad part.
Good luck!
Laptopwillie
checkout laptopwillie.com

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com
Barry Blakeman Feb 22, 2008, 12:13pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I too have the same problem with my 1150, and saw your comment about connecting an external monitor. I tried it and it worked, even just touching the plug to the edge of the external monitor jack turned my laptop on and charged the battery. I understand from reading other users comments that what happens is the laptop overheats and unsolders the ground from the power jack. The 19.5 volts is there but no ground. When you touch the plug of the external monitor to the jack, you are providing a ground through the monitor jack. I accomplished the same thing by wrapping a wire around the outside of the ac power plug and running it to the screw on the monitor jack. Its a temporary fix until I either resolder the ac jack or get a new motherboard, but it will happen again if I don't fix the overheating problem.

Laptop Willie Apr 07, 2008, 11:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Barry,
You can take care of the overheating problem by cleaning the heat exchanger, not just the fan for the CPU. This is necessary to clean out the "Dust Bunnies" that clog the fan grill. Lot's of Luck.

Laptop Willie
Barry Blakeman Apr 07, 2008, 03:06pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for the reply, but I've already done that and it did help somewhat.

Laptop Willie Apr 09, 2008, 01:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 09, 2008, 01:04pm EDT

I don't recommend doing this, but it shows just how far some folks will go to take care of a heating problem. I got a chuckle out of it, hope you do too.

[/quote]Re: Toshiba Satellite Shutdown
My solution: Leaf Blower

I have a Toshiba A75-S125. It shuts down 2 minutes after I started Disk Defragmenter or Disk Cleanup. Compressed air can did not get much dust out of the laptop. I decided to use my leaf blower and it worked great!

Notes:
- have someone hold your laptop, else itíll be blown away.
- turn on the blower for 10 seconds to let all the dust come out first (you don't want them get inside your laptop anyway).
- block your laptop fans so that they wonít spin (I used a small electric wire)
[quote]
:)

Laptop Willie
Samuel Harris May 14, 2008, 07:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Can you send me documentation and diagrams to fix my 1150. Thanks

Laptop Willie May 16, 2008, 07:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sorry I haven't answered sooner, I've been out of town. I don't have anything that clearly shows you how to do repairs on your 1150. I do have a web site that may point you in the right direction.
http://www.laptoprepair101.com/laptop/2006/01/28/toshiba-satel...k-problem/
While the laptops are different, the process is the same. Good luck.

Laptop Willie
DUWAYNE MCCLENDON Jul 10, 2008, 10:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
you know, i thought about doing the solder method right before i found out about the lawsuit.

i love my 1150, sure in the past 3 months with cs3 master and other pc eaters she is nearing retirement. below are a few links to what i've gone through with this 1150. the last link is the most recent and this is after having the motherboard replaced twice by Dell for no cost and out of warranty.

my thoughts now are is Dell replacing the parts per the lawsuit but with the same faulty hardware?

http://www.buglerroller.com/news/my_girlfriend_is_dying.html
http://www.buglerroller.com/news/dell_inspiron_1150.html
http://www.buglerroller.com/news/dell_inspiron_1150_power_supp...blems.html

Aaron Graham Nov 21, 2008, 01:37pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Nov 21, 2008, 01:47pm EST

Hi all following this issue. I have just fixed my friends 1150 with the same problem as described by others, i.e. wouldn't charge the battery. Also (and this is a key part of the symptom) wouldn't work off supply with the battery ejected. Putting pressure on one side of the DC plug could get it to charge from time to time BUT, (and this is also very key to this nature of this fault), if left in the charging state (perhaps by taping the cable to the back of laptop screen in a position where it seems happy to charge) charging would stop WITHOUT any physical movement at all to the lead. If you can physical hold your charger cord in a position where you can get re-liable charging, then my 1150's fault is not the same as yours... you probably just have a dry-joint (broken solder joint that has gone open circuit). re soldering the back of the DC socket will probably work for you.
However back to my fault....

I can add a little information:
1) In my case earthing the VGA D15 (by plugging in a external monitor) didn't seem fix my problem.
2) Resoldering the connections on the DC socket also didn't fix it.
3) cleaning up the connecting inside the DC socket, using patience and fine (very fine) sand paper, didn't have any improvements.
4) Soldering one of the two center pins(which are actually connected electrically) to one of the DC socket's 4 metal casing pins did fix the problem.

For those that don't know. The plug from the AC adapter has three conductors.
1) The outside skin is the -ve of the DC supply (in my case 19.5Volts).
2) The inner skin is the +ve of the DC supply.
3) Finally the smaller very-center conductor, which is used for communications (I/O) between the AC adapter and the Laptop.

I was concerned that buying a new DC socket wouldn't fix the problem, so I soldered three flying leads to the relevant pins under the socket and connected them to a 65W PA-12 adapter on the outside (i.e by-passing the DC socket altogether) and the problem persisted. To me this proved that the problem was a fundamental one with the design of the laptop's "Is a charger plugged in" detection circuitry.
With nothing left to try (apart from buying a new MoBo) I decided to try what others had done and solder the link as described above. This fixed the charging problem AND the laptop can now operate without a battery at all.

Lessons learnt:
1) Getting a new DC socket may not be needed (or may not help).
2) Linking one of the two central pins to the laptop's GND (i.e. the outer casing of the DC socket) worked.
3) This fixed doesn't effect the AC adapter to laptop communications, i.e it seems to have no ill effect on the laptop or charging system.

Good luck all.
Get it right Dell.

Laptop Willie Nov 21, 2008, 08:06pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Aaron,
I have found also that the center pin will with much use become loose. The barrel in the board. Not the pin in the barrel. A good re-flow and solder added repaired this one. No need to replace the connector. In this case, there wasn't much solder to start with. It should last another five years or so.

Laptop Willie
Aaron Graham Nov 22, 2008, 05:10am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
True, I soldered both track and component side connections as they had next to no solder on them. This however didn't solve the problem. I think (in my case) the issue was probably related to the signal levels using in the Adapter to Laptop comms. By earthing the pins that are located directly underneath the DC socket (as described previously), this would provide better noise (electromagnetic interference etc) characteristics. I guess if anyone cared to follow this further, they could use an oscilloscope to view the signals and see if earthing the centrals pins improved the shape of the signal levels etc.
Cheers.

Dak 999 Dec 11, 2008, 10:42pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Just wanted to give a big thank-you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I've got my motherboard lying next to me, and I feel pretty confident of what I need to do to get it to work. I'm no solder soldier, so I'm gonna take it to a shop to be fixed, but hopefully they won't charge me too much since I've taken it apart myself and done the diagnosis. I've "wasted" a couple of days on this but it means I will save the money of either buying a new computer or a new motherboard.

cheers! (and fingers crossed that the fix works!)

Dak 999 Dec 13, 2008, 10:53am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 13, 2008, 11:14am EST

Hi everyone! Thanks to this forum, my computer is up and running again!! Hurray! I took my computer apart myself (which was fun, the online service manual at dell.com made it fairly straightforward). But I took the motherboard to someone else to have the soldering done. Below are the instructions I gave to the repairman, as I think it's a pretty concise description of how to do the fix. It is composed of bits of and information from this and the ihatedell thread.
Close readers may notice that I changed the previous diagram's pins #1 and #2 to X and Y. This is because those pins are labeled differently on the actual motherboard (1, 2, 3, I think) and I didn't want there to be confusion.

The repairman followed my instructions, except that he also removed the jack and cleaned off the pins and connections before resoldering it. He was skeptical of the need to connect a 3 pin to a 4 pin, but I insisted. He did it with a wire between the jack and the board (when he had the jack removed.) He soldered all of the pins down.

BTW, like Aaron's case above, plugging an external monitor into my computer as a diagnostic did NOT help. I think this is because there were more than just one pin loose.

INSTRUCTIONS TO REPAIRMAN FOR SOLDERING MY DC JACK AND MOTHERBOARD

My problem is with the jack into which you plug the power adapter. It has come loose. When I plug in the adapter, the connection is very poor and keeps going off. I had been able to jiggle the cord to get a connection, but that isnít working anymore.

Pins for DC adapter jack:

--X--Y--X---
---------------
4-----3-----4
---------------
4-----3-----4

|-------| <-- Jackís socket, at edge of board.

This is as viewed from underneath the board (on the other side of the board from the jack).

The two X Pins are the main power. These connect to the inside and outside of the DC Cableís barrel.

Pin Y is used to indicate to the BIOS what kind of charger is connected. This connects with the thin central spike inside the adapter cableís barrel.

Pins #4 are used to anchor the part to the board. They also are connected to the Motherboardís ground.

Pins #3 are directly underneath the DC Adaptor and they are the DC Adaptorís ground.

SOLDERING TASK 1: Solder most (or all) of the pins on the BOTTOM of the board so that the jack is more firmly attached to the motherboard. I would do the Xís, the Y, and the front 4ís (nearer the edge). Probably also one or both of the 3's. [The repairman I went to soldered them all and I think this is a good idea. I'm afraid that incidental pulling on the power cable may tend to loosen the DC jack.]

SOLDERING TASK 2: On the BOTTOM of the board, connect one of the #3 pins to one of the #4 pins. I suppose you would use a wire. This will connect DC ground to motherboard ground, and is reported by many people to solve the problem Iím facing. [Again, my repairman did this with a wire in between the jack and the board.]

SOLDERING TASK 3: On the TOP of the board (on the side with the jack), solder the X pins and the Y pin to make sure that they have a better connection. (Donít solder them together, just make sure that they connect to the board better.)

=======================
P.S. Regarding the "A/C power adaptor type cannot be determined" error.

This is a related but different problem to those of us who just weren't able to power up at all. The solution was on an ihatedell.com thread. I tried going there but wasn't able to for some reason (it said I was banned from the forum, but I'd never been on it!) I found the thread on archive.org and link to it here for your forensic pleasure:

http://web.archive.org/web/20080124172537/http://www.ihatedell...t5794.html

or, to the same place:

http://tinyurl.com/6awamv

[Note that you can't click on these because a http://hardwareanalysis.com prefix gets attached. You need to copy and paste.]

=====================

Thanks everyone and good luck!

Dak 999

Laptop Willie Dec 13, 2008, 11:42am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Dec 13, 2008, 11:45am EST

Dak 999 said:
Pins for DC adapter jack:

--X--Y--X---
---------------
4-----3-----4
---------------
4-----3-----4

|-------| <-- Jackís socket, at edge of board.

This is as viewed from underneath the board (on the other side of the board from the jack).

The two X Pins are the main power. These connect to the inside and outside of the DC Cableís barrel.

Pin Y is used to indicate to the BIOS what kind of charger is connected. This connects with the thin central spike inside the adapter cableís barrel.

Pins #4 are used to anchor the part to the board. They also are connected to the Motherboardís ground.

Pins #3 are directly underneath the DC Adaptor and they are the DC Adaptorís ground[quote]

While I do agree with most of what you have in your instructions, I must differ with you on the "X" pins connection. They are connected to the inner ring of the adapter when it is plugged in. They are NOT connected to the outside ring of the adapter. The outside ring of the adapter is the ground for the adapter.

Pins #3 are connected to the outside ring of the adapter when connected.
The "Y" pin is connected to the center pin of the adapter when connected.

When making repairs to this connector, it is O.K. to wire the #3 and #4 pins together. This assures ground connections for power. Otherwise, you may end up with the occation where it will only power on when connected to an external monitor.

Good job Dak999

Laptop Willie
Tim Raff Jan 19, 2009, 10:43pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Jason,
Did you find your Dell 1150 problem, I have the exact scenario you describe.

Tim

Laptop Willie Jan 20, 2009, 09:45am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Tim Raff said:
Jason,
Did you find your Dell 1150 problem, I have the exact scenario you describe.

Tim

While I'm not Jason, I have found that if you read the 4 pages of this thread, you'll find almost all the scenarios have a conmon sourse. The AC adapter and the AC connector are where the problems start. What happens is the input power gets shut down for some reason. Such as broken adapter lead, broken adapter connector or wrong adapter. The laptop continues to work until the battery runs down and shuts off the computer. Some times, there will be enough power in the battery to try to power on, but while running post, it will find that there isn't enough battery power to sustain the laptop and shuts the thing down. Please read the whole thread and see if you find something that fits.

Laptop Willie
Steve Canyon Feb 04, 2009, 01:05pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I've gotta agree with Willie . . . . Having fixed the power pins on a few of our laptops I have found that the poorly designed and very fragile little pin (and the cable tension on it) is the single biggest problem on a wide variety of laptops. I know a gent here locally that has a repair shop and he tells me that he repairs 10-15 power pins a month. And he says it's not brand specific.....Fujitsu, Dell, HP, Sony, IBM, Toshiba all of them use a similar part or scheme. According to him the problem is the tension on the pin caused by inadvertently pulling or yanking on the AC cord. You know, kid hits the cord, dog runs by, etc.

I saw a video on YouTube done by Chris Pirillo about something called a Jerk Stopper cable stay "thing". So I checked it out, ordered one and (because it comes with 3 parts) managed to "fix" two of our laptops so that there is no pressure or tension on the pin from accidentally pulling the power cord.

Laptop Willie Feb 06, 2009, 05:23pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Steve,
Your friend is correct. Most laptops suffer from the damaged power connector due to someone bumping into the cord. This type of repair is my bread and butter. I have found that the laptops that have the power connectors on the side rather than the back have less incidents of this problem. I've also noticed that later laptops have stopped mounting the connectors on the motherboard. If damage done, it spares the motherboard damage we see so often. It still requires a complete tear down of the laptop in most cases however.

Laptop Willie

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.