Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1290 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 01:49pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems. 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>
Laptop Wizard Feb 26, 2009, 11:30am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Dell inspiron 1150 Power problems.
Revised replacement DC Power Jack for Dell Inspiron 1150 DC Jacks are Improved with single-piece positive contacts and a stronger casing/shield. It will last longer than the old one with a horseshoe-shaped positive contact that is connected to the internal contacts by pressure only. And the extra holes in front of this new jack are only cosmetic, but indicate the presence of stronger contacts. Although it looks different, the legs line up exactly and all dimensions are the same. This will directly replace the old jack. Dell now uses this version in their newest laptops. Broken or burned out power jack, replace it with the revised Power Jack,old one go bad in 10 min when new.
:cool:

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Laptop Willie Feb 26, 2009, 12:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Laptop Wizard said:
Revised replacement DC Power Jack for Dell Inspiron 1150 DC Jacks are Improved with single-piece positive contacts and a stronger casing/shield. It will last longer than the old one with a horseshoe-shaped positive contact that is connected to the internal contacts by pressure only. And the extra holes in front of this new jack are only cosmetic, but indicate the presence of stronger contacts. Although it looks different, the legs line up exactly and all dimensions are the same. This will directly replace the old jack. Dell now uses this version in their newest laptops. Broken or burned out power jack, replace it with the revised Power Jack,old one go bad in 10 min when new.

Do you have a source for this new improved jacks?

Laptop Willie
check out laptopwillie.com
Laptop Wizard Feb 28, 2009, 01:00am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Feb 28, 2009, 01:01am EST

matt long Mar 04, 2009, 11:04pm EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
hello guys i read all 5 pages and tryed what was sugested and nothing mine is a inspiron 1150 and i get no power no lights no fan its dead anything else i can try

Laptop Willie Mar 05, 2009, 10:19am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wizard,
I checked out this site. While it may be an improvement over the old connector, it is also 5 times the cost of connectors from other vendors. I am also sure that the improved version does not warrant the increased price. I have replaced the "improved" connectors on several motherboards. They are susceptible to the same damage as the old style. I do go a step farther when installing a new connector on these. I apply some epoxy to the backside of the connector. This a more solid connector mount to the motherboard, and less chance that a contact will push through the connector housing. The J-B Weld brand two part is non conductive so no worry about shorting anything.

Laptop Willie
Laptop Willie Mar 05, 2009, 10:31am EST Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
matt long said:
hello guys i read all 5 pages and tryed what was sugested and nothing mine is a inspiron 1150 and i get no power no lights no fan its dead anything else i can try

Matt,
There are several things that could be going on here. You may have a bad adapter or adapter cord. You could have the connector broken loose from the motherboard. You could have a burned run on the motherboard. There could be some part that is shorted and holding down the power so the unit can't power on. These and a host of other thing could be going wrong with your laptop. First thing to do is see if the adapter is supplying the correct power. A volt-ohm meter is important for this. Don't assume that because the light is on that the adapter is working properly. Check the voltage at the plug. Then move on to the motherboard.
Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Laptop Willie
Mike Miller Mar 09, 2009, 08:12am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Good Morning Sharon - Would you please send me the instructions for soldering the jack in my Dell inspiron 1150? I have fought this thing for six months. Thank you very much - Mike Miller

Mike Miller Mar 09, 2009, 08:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sharon - this might be a request to a previous message. Just want to make sure you get it. Please send me the repair instructions to fix my Dell power jack. Thanks - Mike Miller.

Mike Miller Mar 09, 2009, 08:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Sharon - this might be a request to a previous message. Just want to make sure you get it. Please send me the repair instructions to fix my Dell power jack. Thanks - Mike Miller.

Laptop Wizard Mar 12, 2009, 04:52am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dell 9-Pin Jack Pinout

front pin out

+ = Positive Pins

S = Signal Pin

- = Negative Pin

http://www.notebookpowerjacks.com/images/frontpinout.gif

Laptop Wizard Mar 12, 2009, 04:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dell 9-Pin Jack Pinout

Jack Pinout

+ = Positive Pins

S = Signal Pin (More below)

- = Negative Pin

http://www.notebookpowerjacks.com/images/Dellpinout.gif

Signal Pin: This pin carries a voltage that differs between the PA-xx families of Dell AC Power Adapters. The voltages are used to indicate the wattage of the adapter to the motherboard. This enables your laptop's motherboard to tell what the wattage of the Power Adapter is and if your power adapter is smaller than required, you will get an error message on the BIOS screen. You may be able to use your laptop without charging the battery or it may not let you use it at all. This pin is also the reason you can't use a generic power adapter with your dell.

Leo Wentzel Mar 17, 2009, 10:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Bruno,

Could you please email me with instructions on that fix. I am having the same problem with an Inspiron 5150. Thank you!

Leo

Doc Holliday Apr 05, 2009, 11:48am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello:

I've read all posts here, and am having a similar problem with my 1150 in that it won't run off the AC adaptor, only battery. The BIOS recognizes the adaptor, determines the type correctly and indicates that the battery is charging, but it isn't. When the battery goes dead, both the power-on and battery leds continuously flash together at about a 120 Hz rate.

I've tried plugging in an external monitor, with no luck.

Is this the same problem as described with the power jack?

Thanks

Doc

Laptop Willie Apr 05, 2009, 12:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 05, 2009, 12:10pm EDT

Doc Holliday said:
Hello:

Is this the same problem as described with the power jack?

Thanks

Doc

Yea Doc, I'm afraid so. Replacement of the connector may be the cure for this problem. Please be aware that there is a very tiny circuit run that could be causing this problem as well. It is around the power connector and should be traced with a VOM to be sure there is no break.

Laptop Willie
Doc Holliday Apr 05, 2009, 01:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks Willie.......reckon I'll take it apart and fix it up. Probably time to clean the heat sink fins anyway.....

Doc

Gert Frobe Apr 16, 2009, 08:07am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi All,

I have an 1150 with a blank screen and am wondering if it could be the power jack problem discussed in this thread. Laptop was working fine but a few days ago left it in standby without AC attached for a few days and when I came back and plugged in AC, it started normally but mouse froze during boot. Same thing happened on restart and then I stopped getting anything on screen at all. So when I start up, fan kicks in and green power light comes on but nothing at all on screen. Here's what I've tried so far:

- Removing battery, HD, CD and one memory stick. Didn't solve problem although on one attempt, monitor did turn on and say my memory had changed. It then went off again and still haven't been able to get anything on screen after this.

- Plugging in external monitor (nothing showing up on external monitor)

- Purchased new AC adapter

With AC plugged in, green battery light is blinking once every 10 seconds. Not sure what that means (is that normal?). Regardless, have tried running on battery alone and no luck.

Does this sound like an AC problem or could it be a different motherboard problem? Just wondering is there is anything else I should be trying before selling this as a spare/repair on eBay..

Thanks
Gert

Laptop Willie Apr 16, 2009, 10:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 16, 2009, 10:57am EDT

Gert Frobe said:
Hi All,

I have an 1150 with a blank screen and am wondering if it could be the power jack problem discussed in this thread. Laptop was working fine but a few days ago left it in standby without AC attached for a few days and when I came back and plugged in AC, it started normally but mouse froze during boot. Same thing happened on restart and then I stopped getting anything on screen at all. So when I start up, fan kicks in and green power light comes on but nothing at all on screen. Here's what I've tried so far:

- Removing battery, HD, CD and one memory stick. Didn't solve problem although on one attempt, monitor did turn on and say my memory had changed. It then went off again and still haven't been able to get anything on screen after this.

- Plugging in external monitor (nothing showing up on external monitor)

- Purchased new AC adapter

With AC plugged in, green battery light is blinking once every 10 seconds. Not sure what that means (is that normal?). Regardless, have tried running on battery alone and no luck.

Does this sound like an AC problem or could it be a different motherboard problem? Just wondering is there is anything else I should be trying before selling this as a spare/repair on eBay..

Thanks
Gert

All this sounds as if the laptop is trying to run from a dead battery. If you can move the adapter plug around a little and get a steady green light, then it is the connector on the motherboard or the wrong adapter. You might try allowing the battery to charge over night without the system being turned on. This may charge the battery enough to power on. It would at least give you a clue as to what may be happening. Let us know how it goes.

Laptop Willie
Gert Frobe Apr 16, 2009, 11:49am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for the quick reply. I was actually able to get the screen to come on for a minute by forcibly pushing the adapter into the DC jack on the back and holding it while I powered up. It worked for a few minutes and mouse froze again and haven't really been able to get it powered up again. However, I think that means it's probably my power jack. The new adapter I bought is a Dell LA65NSO-00 (65w) which appears to have the same exact spec and is listed as a comparable replacement for my original AA22850 so don't think the adapter is the problem.

I'm not much of a solderer so thought I'd buy the DC jack from eBay, pull out the motherboard myself and have a shop just do the soldering bit. Found a place that will do it but they said it could potentially also be a hairline break in the board that is somehow coming together when I push on the AC jack and thus can't guarantee that a new jack will solve the problem. Do you think I should proceed with replacing the jack?

Thanks again.

Laptop Willie Apr 16, 2009, 11:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Apr 16, 2009, 11:57am EDT

It really depends on how you feel about the information you have on the hard drive. There are two ways to go with this.You could try replacing the connector at what ever cost or replace the 1150 with another that is working at a higher price and hope it lasts. Were it me, I'd replace the connector. But I don't know the skill level of the people you have talked to. You have a lot to think about. :/

Laptop Willie
Gert Frobe Apr 16, 2009, 02:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks. I guess what I was really was asking was whether you thought the DC jack is likely the main culprit here or whether these hairline cracks I was told about are equally common.

But I guess I'll never know what the problem is unless I actually go ahead and replace the jack so will give that a go.

Thanks for your replies. Learned a lot from this thread.

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.