Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1019 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 15 - 04:53pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Stephen Yip Jun 14, 2005, 12:51am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Hi, I've been a owner of a GRX560 for 2 years. It had the reboot problem mentioned here a year ago (right after the warrenty expired) and I fixed it for $400CAD.

Now it is its third year and all of a sudden the LCD gone dead. I can still see some little shadows of the image on the LCD but seems there is no light coming out from it. I want to know if it's fixable?

Actually I don't want to spend another $500 or 600 to fix it as it will probably be better to go and buy a new one.

Anyway Sony charges more, but deliver SO SO quality products... I liked this laptop and expected it to last for 3 years+ as it was 30% more expensive than same class products. It is so disappointing.

I will NOT go for any sony laptops anymore unless there is a large price cut.

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Denis Luzin Jun 14, 2005, 01:05am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 14, 2005, 01:11am EDT

Stephen,

Your LCD's backlight bulb is dead, this is normal thing for such long period of use. Replacement will cost about $50-$100. Try to call Joe, he can recommend someone (or just fix it by himself).

The reason may also be:
- inverter (you can buy it at eBay and replace it by yourself)
- water/overheating damage to motherboard (14/19,5V line that supplies power to the inverter is broken, I had one PCG-GRV motherboard in repair with this problem)

Regards,
Dennis

Peter C Jun 14, 2005, 11:26am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Any of you all who have been following this thread for some time know that there has been much talk about legal action against Sony. Finally, it seems that something is moving forward. A couple of weeks ago, I saw a link to the LEFLaw website. After following it, and writing an email regarding my GRX experiences, I received a phone call from a very pleasant lady who took notes on my case. She also updated me on the status of the suit. Since then, I've been following the action, and doing some reading on what's going on.

Sony has delivered its answer to the class action charges, and some of it's defense absolutely boils my blood. Thus my renewed interest in getting them to settle with us on the monetary charges we've had to bear to get our laptops in working order.

Here is a link to their answer paper:

http://leflaw.com/sony/answer.pdf

They have 37 defense statements, all trying to dismiss this case against them. The 28th reads:

"Plaintiff, any class members and/or the general public failed to exercise reasonable care and diligence to avoid loss and minimize damages and therefore they may not recover for losses which could have been prevented by reasonable efforts on their part, or by expenditures which might reasonably have been made; therefore their recovery, if any, should be reduced by the failure of them to mitigate their damages, if any."

First of all, what do they expect us to do...operate our laptops in a microchip manufacturing clean room?

Secondly, how in the world do they know what steps we (I) took to keep our laptops from getting these overheating\soldering problems? I've been working with computers since 1987 and have been a HelpDesk worker, systems engineer, network technician, email administrator. I've pulled apart and put back together hundreds of desktop computers and many corporate servers. So I know something about the care and maintenance of these machines. As it so happens, I very early on started using my laptop with a large flat book underneath, and even built a wooden tray to place my laptop on when watching t.v. and surfing the web, or as I'm now doing, sitting on the couch with my laptop on the coffee table. When I sent my laptop to be fixed by Joe K. he even commented that there was very little dust buildup in my fan...testament to my due diligence.

Joe, I really hope you are taking copious notes on all the laptops you are fixing, so we can have something to fight Sony's lawyers with.

This is absolutely outrageous!

juan bercetche Jun 14, 2005, 12:34pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have the same problem with the second slot. I īve got a grx-560 . can I upgrade my RAM buying one 512MB and place it in the working slot?
My screen one day started blinking and the bright has gone. Now I use an external monitor. This is another problem with this Sony.
Thxs

JB

Tom Pappas Jun 14, 2005, 06:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Single-slot operation
You can operate your computer with an SODIMM in one slot only, but it has been our experience (in repairing several hundred of them) that computers that go bad lose both slots sooner or later.

So you can run on 512mb, but not forever. Someday you will need it repaired, and then you can use all 768mb.

Tom Pappas

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Murdock L Jun 14, 2005, 10:49pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Peter C- any idea if the GRZ models are covered in the lawsuit as well? I left a voice message at Leflaw last week and they have yet to call me back to answer this simple question.
Those statements by sony are nothing more than a lie to cover themselves. The GRZ we had for 12 months before it started having constant no-boot problems was spotless inside and always kept in a room with a constant supply of dry ~72 degree air.

Thomas Gonzales Jun 15, 2005, 02:54am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Wow yah I just had the exact same problem and the exact same fix... This has peeved me to no end. I am never buying a laptop from sony again unless they fix this. It should have been a recall. Thank you all I finally figured out what to search foe

mark maconnachie Jun 15, 2005, 04:00am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi there i took tom pappas advice by going to the vaioshutdown.com website and followed the procedure for removing the fans from the laptop. I finally succeeded and upon investigation i found a massive clump of dust.
I thought this would fix the problem so i put it all back together only to find that the screen would not come on and no sound either.
The hard drive spins, the fans rotate and you can see the dvd drive finding the boot record.
I tried wiring an external monitor and soundcard. Which would usually work in this situation, but that did not work either.
but this has ruled out the monitor.
I think i might have knocked something inside which would affect both video and sound. Im not too sure what though.
hope you can help.
Thanks Mark

Tom Pappas Jun 15, 2005, 11:46am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Dust in the cooling air path doesn't prevent boot-up; it is the cause of most overheating.
Does this happen when you turn on the power?

1. Power (green) light comes on and stays on.
2. Hard drive (yellow) light flickers once or twice.
3. No sound, no picture.

If so, you probably have a memory slot issue. We can fix that.

Tom Pappas

http://www.vaioshutdown.com

Joe K Jun 16, 2005, 09:23am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Peter,

If it helps to give a figure for the total amount of repairs on GRX model laptops and motherboard, we wouldn't mind sharing that info as it is quite high.

We are not going to get involved in any lawsuit against any manufacturer. We're doing our part in offering a somewhat affordable solution to the victims of Sony as well as other manufacturers.

We will be launching our own group of lawsuits toward late summer against several individuals going around the internet slandering our business practices for personal gain.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
David Kessler Jun 16, 2005, 02:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Gee Joe,
I haven't seen anything othere than high praise for both you and Tom for your work helping people who have system problems. I'm sorry to hear that someone is saying bad things about you.
I'll repeat that my experience with you was GREAT! And I thank you again (publicly) for your help.
David

Joe K Jun 16, 2005, 06:40pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
David,

It's greatly appreciated. Have a great weekend!

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
christopher Freeman Jun 16, 2005, 09:11pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello all, I tried to read this entire thread, man it is long and familiar. My GRX-560 slowed bout 17 months into its life span, one 256 chip stopped showing up, the one in slot 2. thought memory was bad upgraded to 1 gig (2x512 chips) worked the first night today no dice only showing 512, sometimes I get 1 gig mostly I don't. Looked at the pins with a large magnifying glass, and it looks okay I think. Funny thing is Sandra Lite show all four banks but physical memory only shows 512? Any way I am going to try and clean the SODIMM with alcohol and see if that fixes my problem if not Joe K. I will contact you for a shipping arrangements. You still fix Sony's GRX model since they can't be bothered to take care of their customers?

It's a Sony. :(

Freewilly

christopher Freeman Jun 16, 2005, 10:59pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thought you all might get a kick out of this. I just chatted with a sony rep and this is a transcript.

chat id : 1c1f9a19-1af2-4398-aaad-d666d4a1616e
Problem : one of my memory slots have failed. It appears to slot 2. I have seen about 1500 other folks with the same problem and was wondering what Sony did to solve the defect. Please reply when able. Maj Freeman, USAF
Troy_ > Welcome to Sony Online Support. I will be glad to assist you.
Troy_ > Hi Andrew.
Andrew Freeman > great thanks
Andrew Freeman > hello Troy
Andrew Freeman > I seemed to have lost a memory slot, slot two is not recognized by my computer anymore. I think this happened about 2 months ago.
Troy_ > What is the Operating System of the Notebook?
Andrew Freeman > XP Pro
Troy_ > Are you getting any error messages?
Andrew Freeman > both modules will work in module 1 but if i put only one in slot two, the notebook will not boot
Andrew Freeman > nope
Andrew Freeman > no error messages, just missing half the memory
Andrew Freeman > I replaced both sticks yesterday and on the first boot up it showed all 512 but that was it, I have rebooted about 20 times and gotten all the ram to show up twice?
Troy_ > Have you ensured if the memory slot was clean and free from dirt or dust and pins on the memory module were clean?
Andrew Freeman > yea sure did, used pressure air and cleaned the SODIMM with alcohol
Troy_ > Just to confirm, have you tried checking by exchanging the RAM modules in the two slots?
Andrew Freeman > interestingly enough, when I run Sandra Lite, it shows all memory installed but the physical memory is only 256?
Andrew Freeman > yes sure did, they both work fine in slot 1 just neither work in slot 2, if i only use slot 2 it will not boot
Troy_ > Based on the information that you have provided it appears that the unit requires physical evaluation.
Troy_ > I suggest that you contact the nearest Sony Authorized Service Center to get the unit checked.
Troy_ > I will forward a page to locate the nearest Sony Authorized Service Center.
Troy_ > http://www.sel.sony.com/service/plsql/rma.inquiry
Troy_ > Please click on the link.
Troy_ > Please enter your product model, date of purchase, Dealer name and zip code. Then click the Search button to locate the nearest Sony Service Center.
Andrew Freeman > okay, is this not a very regular problem with the GRX models?
Andrew Freeman > I was under the impression this was a factory defect in the slot two manufacturing process
Troy_ > I can understand your concern.
Troy_ > However, we do not have any specific information on this.
Troy_ > Please contact our Sony Authorized Service Center team.
Troy_ > They will be able to assist you.
Andrew Freeman > via the link yes?>
Andrew Freeman > Thanks for taking the time to chat, I will work the issue thru the link
Troy_ > You are welcome.
Troy_ > Thank you for contacting Sony Online Support. Please feel free to contact us for further assistance.
Troy_ > Analyst has closed chat and left the room

Guess we are all crazy because there is nothing wrong with the GRX model.

It's a Sony :(

Freewilly

bonnie kozma Jun 16, 2005, 11:14pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all,
I happened to find this forum when I went into a panic when my vaio notebook wouldn't boot. Of course, I was using someone else's computer. I found this site and was shocked to see the boot problem arising again and again, especially in the GRX model, which is exactly what I have. I have a PCG-GRX-520 that has been great since I bought it in August 2002, and has now been a pain in the ass since April 2005. It happened when I was messing with my audio options in Windows Media, because my dvd drive has not been able to burn cd's for some time and then it stopped playing dvds and cds. So I went into my audio and while I was messing with that my computer shut down. I couldn't get it to restart. It sounded like it was restarting, but nothing came on the screen. I turned it on and off multiple times, but nothing happened. I took it to a friend, because her boyfriend works on computers, and he set it on the floor and turned the power on and it worked to my surprise. However, after that anytime it went into hibernate mode or I shut it down, it could not be immediately restarted. I would have to leave it sit for hours and then try to restart it. That worked for awhile. However, I attend school in Miami and when I flew home to Michigan and had to leave it off for days on end I tried to restart it at home and nothing happened. I can't get it to restart at all now. The green power light comes on, the fan starts, the yellow/orange light on the dvd flashes twice, but nothing comes on the screen.
After reading this forum, I called sony. I talked to a tech who was nice on the phone, but didn't seem to understand my problem too well. After expalining it for twenty minutes he finally got it. I directed him to this site and he read some of the posts and I told him what I thought was going on, and suspected a maufacturing defect. He didn't seem to care about that, he said "All notebooks have this problem" nad quoted me a 700 price for a motherboard or LCD repair. He gave me the number to troubleshooting and I called it the next day.
What a waste of 20 dollars. I had done all the things the tech told me to do before, which were pretty dumb things. Such as: Turn your computer on and off, plug it into a different wall socket, try to adjust the LCD display with Fn and F5 or something, which are things I had already done. The only thing they had me do that I hadn't done was to reset the memorr by holding down the F2 key when restarting. Needless to say I was near tears when they said that was all. I was promised the troubleshooting would be extensive for the 20 dollars and I paid 20 damn dollars to be told to replug my computer into another socket.
So I asked to speak to a supervisor, they transferred me to customer service. That guy was nice enough until I mentioned this web site. He proceeded to say that this site is biased and all products have consumers that have trouble and this site is just here to basically incite hate against sony and has no support. He said there is no known manufacturing defect and no class action suit. He then told me I was lucky I hadn't had trouble with my laptop until now and that most laptops have problems well before 3 years! That's when I went off on my soapbox. I said to him, that may be true, but I paid 500-700 more for a sony and if they are just average like every other brand, then why pay the extra money, I could have bought a cheap dell. I'm a college student going into my senior year, I can't afford a 700 dollar repair on this computer. I'm dissapointed in the product and want to issue a complaint against sony.

If anyone can help me, please. I currently am having the computer looked at to see what the problem is. Once I find that out, I'll post again and could someone tell me how much they would charge to fix a motherboard or LCD display? I really need this computer, I have 3 classes this upcoming august that require me to write 20 page papers.

I'm so angry at sony. Don't pay a higher price for an average product. I should have known after my expensive sony 3 disc cd player went out after 2 years because the eye could no longer read cds. Also, their new playstation 2 models are no good. My boyfriend's brother and sister both got one for christmas of 04 and they are both already not reading discs and not working, one also destroyed a memory card. My next computer will be an apple.

David Kessler Jun 17, 2005, 12:20am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Bonnie,
We've all been burned by Sony. You can either complain and hold your breath until you turn blue or you can get your machine fixed. Both Joe and Tom have people who have contributed to this forum and said nice things about them.

You'll be without your machine for about a week but it will be fixed when you get it back. I sent my machine to Joe who was very pleasant to deal with and he did a great job. It was not an expensive repair (about $175 including round trip shipping).

Other people have said the same things about Tom. If you're in the east, send it to Joe ( http://aqstech.com/ ). If you're in the west, send it to Tom ( http://vaioshutdown.com/ ).

Good luck,
David

p.s. Now that my machine is fixed, I've really got to get a life and stop posting here.

Hanka Z Jun 17, 2005, 07:01am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Heh, yes, we are here panish forum :o What they are thinking about us? Was in the instruction book or in payment agreement this, that is chance that we will lost our business because the notebooks can simply stop? Yes, it's trully help to pay for a broken part price as for new computer from another company. It's great service!!! I am spending money now part by part, because I need strong mashine. I decided for company with thinking of customers, who like to have them back...[bold] Shut down Sony's business!!! [/bold] Grrr

I wrote short story and sent it to Czech PC Magazine, gave links to leflaw and here to forum. It's over two weaks and not answer till now... As I told. They have money from them for advertisering...

I wrote to our Associacion for Customers care, they put an article to web pages and waiting for result from leflaw;)

Kind regards to all of you, Hana

Frank Becvar Jun 17, 2005, 09:48am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> I thought it was just MY machine! :-(
Wow! I am so thrilled that I found this site! I am another victim of this Sony laptop flaw and have been going OUT OF MY MIND trying to figure out what the problem is for the last year. Sony customer support is completely useless.

I have been experiencing severe problems with my Sony VAIO PCG-GR370 laptop, which I purchased in March of 2002 for US $1700. It worked fine for the first 2 years but then about a year ago, it suddenly started not booting up. I'd like to be added to the class-action lawsuit, if possible. I will try some of the fixes suggested here and/or send to Tom for repair.

I really hope this lawsuit gets the attention it deserves. Sony has lost another valuable customer...

T D Jun 17, 2005, 10:14am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am having the reboot problem with my VGN-T1XP ie. starts up, LEDs on but blank screen; still showing full (512MB) memory. Its still within warranty so I am sending it off to Sony on Monday to be fixed.

My question is what kind of experiences have you guys had with getting this problem repaired by Sony when its within warranty especially within the UK.

Did it work when you got it back?
Did the same problems arise again?
Did you experience any other problems after you had it serviced?
If so what kind of problems etc.

Thanks in advance.

T D Jun 17, 2005, 10:25am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 17, 2005, 10:26am EDT

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.