Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1082 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 24 - 12:03am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
David Kessler Jun 17, 2005, 01:23pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
TD,
My machine was fine for about the first year. Then there were problems for a couple of months before I shipped it back to Sony (under extended warranty). It worked fine for about 9 months. Then the same problems recurred. After suffering with it for 6 months, I sent it to Joe. It's been fine for the month or two since I got the machine back.

I'm optimistic though because when I originally added the second 256Mb module and again after I got the repair done, the memory modules in both slots were kind of loose. When I got it back from Joe, they were tight.

Hope this helps.
David

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Michael Robb Jun 18, 2005, 03:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Fortunately, I managed to find a way of getting the data off the hard disk drive. Various owners have had success removing the hard disk drive and placing it into an external usb 2.0 2.5" enclosure, and listening to see what the drive does. If it makes a ticking noise, that means the motor/card are functional, but read heads may be jammed against the platters. They can be made to be unstuck by either sealing the disk drive in a freezer bag and putting it in the cooler for an hour or so, or by quickly spinning the drive, while the ticking noise is being made. I had some success by holding the drive upside down while doing this.

And I've now also got a couple of external USB drives for backup purposes.

David Kessler Jun 18, 2005, 06:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
"They can be made to be unstuck by either sealing the disk drive in a freezer bag and putting it in the cooler for an hour or so, or by quickly spinning the drive, while the ticking noise is being made."

Reminds me of an old joke about fixing a telephone. It ends with the person on his front yard swinging the telephone over his head and squawking like a chicken. :-)
David

Tom Pappas Jun 20, 2005, 10:55pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> A cheap alternative to a 2.5" USB enclosure
is a thing called a "drive adapter" that allows the disk drive to be plugged into an IDE cable on a desktop. They can be found all over eBay for $5 or so.

Peter C Jun 21, 2005, 10:27am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe,

Thanks for offering the information from your repair work. I'm sure Leflaw will be very interested in it. When I spoke to the lady, she gave me the impression that she regularly monitors this site, so hopefully, she has seen your post and will contact you if needed.

Clearly, the best thing we can ALL do is start keeping documentary evidence of our interactions with Sony. Take notes when you speak to their reps. Note the reps name, day, time, time spent on call etc. Take a screen capture of live help chat windows and copy and paste the text from the chat session. The whole point here is to start gathering irrefutable evidence showing a definitive effort by Sony to mislead its customers from knowing of the widespread nature of these problems AND in not offering some sort of compensation (recall, reimbursement etc). If their reps are doing their job correctly, they will be entering all of this defect information into their call center databases which SHOULD start popping up internal problem flags.

Another poster asked me if I know the PCGRV laptops also qualify for the suit. I'm sorry, but I can't answer that question authoritatively. I would recommend searching through this long thread, and looking for a trending number of GRV's reported to have problems.

Hanka Z Jun 22, 2005, 04:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi to all,

don't forgot to check this link

http://leflaw.com/sony/

there is some news - leflaw ask you for some documentation...

Have a good day,

Hana

PS. I am not very happy because I am out of USA.... aaa well, still, I will wait for result ;)

Joe K Jun 22, 2005, 08:17am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Peter,

Yes, this memory slot problem does effect the PCG-GRV line as well. The GRV series also produces a tremendous amount of heat and thus also effecting the Video Chip as well. Please see:

http://www.aqstech.com/vaio2.html

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Jared Millirons Jun 23, 2005, 09:23am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I am having a similar problem.
My sister gave me her PCG FX210 to fix. It will turn on and the led's will flash and you can hear the drive start up but the screen stays blank. Then it starts beeping. The beeps go as follows; 1-3-3-1. And that's all I get. I tried hooking it up to a monitor, but the monitor didn't even register that it was attached to anything. Any help is appreciated. Also is the Vaio a pheonix bios? I ask because the beep code that matches the phoenix bios has to do with memory - DRAM.

Julius Suarez Jun 23, 2005, 01:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 23, 2005, 01:04pm EDT

Hello in the house!!!
Sony vaio PCG-FXA47 wont boot up after i updated the BIOS,what went wrong...
Just send me an email...pls...

Yonngs07@yahoo.com

Toan V. Jun 25, 2005, 01:11am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a Vaio PCG-993L and it wont boot at all.. no fan no noise... nothing.. Only the power LCD is on.
I had the the memory slot cover opened... Guess what when I touch the memory card with the back of my finger?? It burning hot... What the F@#$... My DRAMs must be fried already..
Is it supposed to be hot like that..with the system not even booting up???
So any one using VAIO (fortune enough with the machine still works) .. Open the memory slot cover, and feel the chip with the bach of your finger.... Then let me khow... Good luck

yilei zhao Jun 27, 2005, 03:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Oh.. man. I got a same problem for my PCG-GRZ610 about three months ago, when the computer was 18-month-old, severial months after I added one PNY 256MB to the Sony Vaio. It fried CPU for about one week-the back fan on CPU was working for whole days without any reason and microsoftware becomes snail-speed. Finally, the Sony nearly dead; it only could work for 10-30 minutes after I hard-reset it with a pin to the bottom hole. It took me about one week to reinstall everything in its transient wake-up time to make sure that it was not due to software problem. Then I doubted whether the cheap PNY memory was gone. For that reason, I only use 256MB there and yesterday I bought 516MB kingston to speed up the computer since I thought only one slot could work. Thank you guys for the solution. Now I put a plastic pieces on the arm of the slots to push down the memory modules, it working perfectly up to now. I look at the three good memory modules, hundreds dollar bill and week pains, thinking the PCG would be the last Sony stuff I bought. I also advise my friends not purchasing any sony product after that. In contrast, my IBM notebook worked for five years without any problem.

Yogesh Jain Jun 27, 2005, 07:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have sony vaio pcg-fx370,

1. Same issue with the 2nd memory slot, removed the second memory chip and worked fine for nearly a year.
2. After that the hard disk gave up making tick tick sounds. Replaced the harddisk.
3. Then power connector got loose and completley disconnected. Got it fixed.
4. Finally Battrey gave up, new battrey is $245...!!!!, I am not paying sony another $245.

-Yogesh

Dan Banga Jun 27, 2005, 08:42pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Tom / Joe,

I have a GRZ 660 which is overheating and shutting down. I can see my entire 512 MB RAM, so my slots haven't fried yet...

I read through 53 pages of posts (took me about 3 hours) but I could not get directions on how to dismantle and clean the fan/radiator for GRZ 660. I tried opening it up over the weekend by unscrewing at the bottom of the laptop, but 2-3 screws later, I was getting nowhere and I put it all back together...

I want to try cleaning it up first to see if it fixes the overheating. If it doesn't, I'll probably send it to one of you to see if that helps...

Another VAIO Screwed Consumer :o)

Joe K Jun 27, 2005, 10:39pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Dan,

On the left side of the power button bar (plastic strip) there is a screw (left side of laptop) removed that screw and remove the power button bar by sliding it to the right or left I can't remember which. That will give you access to the Keyboard hold down screw and the removable heat shield under the keyboard. Once these are removed you should have full access to the fan.

Be careful with the power button and memory reader cables, if you pull them out of the connectors you need to be very careful sliding them back in, they are easily damaged.

Joe Kabalan
Troy O Jun 28, 2005, 05:32am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe

I had sent the following message to you via the company email and even the Hardware Analysis private messaging service but did not get a response, so I just decided to post it publicly hoping you might get it this time:

Hi Joe

I have read through the long list of disgruntled users of products of the once venerable Sony and came away justified in my feelings! The overwhelming praise those customers heaped upon you and your team was truly amazing, this coupled with your unrivalled humility in such reverence led me to drop my deep cynicism for the Human Race and dare harbour the thought: "There is hope for us yet!"

All I can suggest to Sony is that they contract you and your team to handle quality control for their Laptops before they see the inside of a packing box. I wish you all the success you deserve.

Symptoms:
I first encountered the well documented 2nd Memory module failure and worked round this by not using it, so from 256mb to 128Mb RAM I went.

The second problem was as follows: Once the pc is switched off, it will not start again for THREE days. If you attempt to start it up, it makes a chugging sound with the warning lights doing a Close Encounters of the Third Kind" style sequence occurring in step. If you hold the start button down, it cycles through this behaviour roughly every second. I discovered that you need to totally unplug all power sources and let it stand for three days at least. After the third day it would start up like nothing happened. I decided to leave it on continuously, but what is life without a little drama? After about, say THREE days it would just freeze up, especially when watching a DVD. So I resulted to restarting it every couple of days.........but then the HD decided to warn me it had now reached the dreaded MTBF and a backup of data would be advisable! Whoever says Life is a bore must be dead.........

I have tried to remove the motherboard to post to you but have just one screw to deal with, it is the one right at the back of the pc, in the middle, hidden under the fetching purple plastic ribbed part directly under the screen. If possible could you (or any other member who can assist) kindly send me some tips on how to remove the motherboard, I have scoured the internet for directions but to no avail.

Please let me know if you require any further information/descriptions, I will be happy to oblige.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Regards

Troy O

T
wy wy Jun 28, 2005, 01:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Caution!!! when you send your Notebook to third party repair

I recently sent my 5150 notebook to a NY firm that I saw in this forum, after 3 weeks, I received it back
Without the problem fixed, but with good working components stolen and a totally unrepairable systems.
They steal my LCD (UXGA,Samsung), 1GB memory, also broken the glue between CPU and Fan.

My 5150 has the same problem as most 5150 Users, When I press the power button, most time it Display a "-" on the up-left corner of the screen,
and occasionally it can boot into Dell BIOS screen and Windows XP , work a while when I press some spots of the bottom.

From this point, it sure that my CPU, memory ,VideoCard,DVDCD is in good working conditions.

When I receive back the notebook from the firm, the LCD can't display anything. so I first check the memory,
I found my 1GB memory won't work, and found the two memory label marked with "X". I brought the 1GB memory from Fry's last year, and never saw the "X" on it.

So I dissamble the notebook and immediately found that the LCD is not mine, the LCD top cover is mine from the scratch and sign on it,
but the LCD is not mine, they removed my LCD from my top cover, and installed a defected LCD on my cover, so the stolen is intended....

The glue beween CPU and Fan broken, as we know, the CPU and Fan could easily removed from motherboard together without broken the glue,
only when you want to replace CPU or Fan, you need to broken the glue and must use new glue to stick the CPU and Fan firmly.

So there is only one explain, they want to replace the CPU, the Fan is mine from the sign and broken tape. I'm not sure whether the CPU is my original one,
so does the Video Card (nvidia Go5200 64M).

I ask them to restore my full system to orignal state that I sent to them that can display "-" on screen,
and provide half year warranty for all main components except the MotherBoard (that is because I'm not sure what component that they stolen).
they only want to replace my LCD.

so we will begin to face at court.

Here is some of my advice when you need to repair your notbook:

1. find a repair firm that near you, first search for their repution on internet.

2. take enough photos of every components of your notebooks. especially component serial number.

3. Identify which component of your notebooks is working condtions,which one is defected,.

4. use software to read out your notebook components internal serial number. the software "CPUZ" can do most the jobs. it can read out your memory internal SN, the internal SN is hard to wape out, even when its defected.

The main components that you should check and take photos and read out internal SN is as following:

1.CPU
2.LCD
3.VideoCard
4 Memory
5. CD/DVD
6. Battery
7. Wireless card.
8. Motherboard (if possible).

Don't send your hard drive as it may leak your private info such as creditcard.

Also I'm considering design a free anti theft software to record all notebook components internal serial number into a safe place.

Please read the following if you can help or interest.

http://p068.ezboard.com/fi5150usersfrm2.showMessage?topicID=27.topic

Joe K Jun 28, 2005, 10:50pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 28, 2005, 10:57pm EDT

This wy wy guy is an idiot. Anyone with questions about "what he's talking about" please feel free to give me a call. You'll be more than amused with just how rediculas he is.

He wants to be paid off for $800 to stop posting this BS all over the internet. I guess this goes hand and hand with having great customer feedback on the web.

Joe Kabalan
Colin Hansen Jun 29, 2005, 12:18am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 29, 2005, 12:21am EDT

Don't worry, Joe, everyone frequent visitor to this forum knows of your commitment to quality. That (searching for an appropriate term here) will just be ignored.

In other news, I've almost got the money saved up for the repair. I know Tom Pappas charges $150 + S&H, but he's on the west coast, while Joe is on the east.

Joe, how much do you charge for a regular memory slot repair?

It's a PCG-Z1A, as far as I can tell, so it only has one memory slot. And with that one broken, it's not working at all.

Joe K Jun 29, 2005, 12:28am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Colin,

The Z1 series doesn't have a memory slot problem. Have you done any troubleshooting isolating the problem?

Joe Kabalan
Joe K Jun 29, 2005, 12:35am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, we just received about 9 motherboards for the Z1A series for repair from a large Sony supplier. We'll probably have more details as to what is typically failing on this model. I have heard of reports of the video chip failing on this model as well. But I will not know for another few weeks.

These Z1 boards are very difficult to work with. Everything is integrated into the motherboard including the CPU, memory and everything else. It's going to take some time to adapt our equipment to interconnect to these boards.

Joe Kabalan

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.