Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 1135 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s December 16 - 03:36pm EST 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Colin Hansen Jun 29, 2005, 12:43am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Well, originally I emailed Tom describing my problem, and he told me it was a memory slot problem. I got the characteristic no boot, wth nothing displayed on the screen, and yet functioning power light and CD sounds.

Actually, my Z1A was one of the first manufactured, I believe; I won it in a PC Magazine entry sweepstakes a couple years back.

It's a long shot, but maybe the memory slot on my laptop's MB was an older version?

Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
Julius Suarez Jun 29, 2005, 06:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe!
Im the one who own sony vaio fx-a47, it did not boot it all and i did not touch it yet.im living here in the Southern Philippines, and i really need help especially what is the means of repairing my vaio.
Thanx much Joe...

Godbless...

Hanka Z Jun 29, 2005, 07:26am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
What like to say this Dell not happy customer? That Dell notebooks heaving troubles as well and that Joe isn't fair person? Hahaaa, it look as HOAX from somebody who like to panish this phorum and Joe's great help.... ;)

Joe K Jun 29, 2005, 07:48am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Colin, Tom may be aware of something that I'm not. I simply haven't seen any issues with the RAM on the Z1 seeing as how it's soldered to the motherboard and has one slot for expansion.

Julius,

Anytime you have a boot issue with an FXA series, the first thing you want to do is replace the CPU. The FXA series does not suffer from the RAM slot problem. You need to make sure you replace the CPU with a 25watt 1.2 / 1.3v CPU.

Hankz,

Yes, the Dells are suffering from their own set problems. Thanks for the support.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Hanka Z Jun 29, 2005, 07:55am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe, pleasure;) BTW the Sony's as well....

Julius Suarez Jun 29, 2005, 08:30am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi Joe,
Tnks a lot 4 ur reply,just want to know is it the whole CPU to be replaced?so you mean it is not the BIOS is damaged, am i correct?
million tnks...
God bless...

Tirtho Sarkar Jun 29, 2005, 09:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> for Joe -vgn s150
Hi Joe, I already sent an email to your company account a couple of days ago about my sony vgn s150 but didnt receive a reply, so I decided to post my question here. I was just wondering if you had figured out what the problem with this model was, as it has the same symptoms as the memory slot problem but in another topic on this forum you said it didn't have anything to do with the memory slots. In this case, would taking out the ram chip make any difference? Thanks in advance,

Tirtho

Badan Tuladhar Jun 29, 2005, 10:22am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe,
I have a Viao VGN-A130. I only boots when held at a certain angle and shuts off as soon as it is moved even slightly. Its still under warranty, and I sent it Sony. They claim it is liquid damage and wanted to charge me for replacing the keyboard and mobo. I haven't seen the VGN-A series discussed here so I was wondering if it could still be the memory slot problem and if you could fix it?

Thanks.

harold williams Jun 29, 2005, 02:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Addendum to my last post( which I can't locate...btw)

I too am a satisfied cutomer of Joe Kabalan at AQS! My pcg-grz660 was exhibiting the problems mentioned throughout this thread; i.e., wouldn't boot up, shutting down suddenly, overheating. I sent it to be repaired at AQS last month. Being a skeptic I was prepared for the worst. However Joe diagnosed and repaired the problem and had my laptop back to me within 3 business days. Joe and AQS are both a breath of fresh air in a computer repair industry riddled with incompetence and inflated repair cost. The total for the repair was around $150. I've had my computer for over a month since it has been repaired and it has performed admirably and it is absolutely problem free!

If you are having the same type of problem listed in this thread, Joe can repair it!

I know Joe's contact info has already been posted several times throughout this thread, but here it is again:

http://www.aqstech.com/

Joe Kabalan
1-866-204-4677

Colin Hansen Jun 29, 2005, 03:19pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe,

I would be happy to send you my laptop if you would like to use it for diagnostics or the like, and if you could find out the problem, I would be muchly greatful!

Joe K Jun 29, 2005, 09:44pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
. Tirtho,

The VGN- S series has a problem with the Video chip and the cooling system for the video chip. So far we've had mixed success with this repair. It's extremely difficult due to the densely populated tiny motherboard that is in those VGN-S series.

Does your system still boot? Is it still under warranty? I don't remember missing any emails about the S150

Man, I need a vacation.

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Tom Pappas Jun 29, 2005, 09:45pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Oh, THAT Colin Hansen...
Colin, I guess I missed the context of your question, since I receive about 100 e-mails a day and yours was scattered over several days. Initially, I asked you "If the screen is blank, what makes you think it boots?" I also didn't hear anything about CD sound, which I do not associate with a dead memory slot.

Sorry for any confusion.

Colin Hansen Jun 29, 2005, 10:24pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
No problem.

Do you guys have any clue what the problem could be, then?

Tirtho Sarkar Jun 30, 2005, 08:34am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thanks for your reply Joe. My system no longer boots and its not under warranty. I might try and get it repaired locally in Thailand or wait and send it to you. Could you give me an idea on the pricing and time it would take to fix this problem? Thanks again,

Tirtho

copious copious Jun 30, 2005, 09:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jun 30, 2005, 09:32pm EDT

I have an s series vaio(VGN-S18GP) and have recently started receiving the notorious boot up problems( lights on, screen has nothing not even vaio logo). I can also vouch for the over heating vid card issue. i experienced a new issue today, the system would 'freeze' for about 20 seconds then come back up however an ati error msg would come up saying " the ati driver has stopped responding etc " , or something along those lines.

Any advice? i wish i lived closer to Joe so I could send it over however Im in Australia and who knows how much the postage would cost =/

fiona andersen Jul 01, 2005, 07:00pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi to all.... As well as every other person I too have had disasterious dealings with Sony in regards to my PCG FX 340. Being completly computer illiterate, but understanding that the computer had serious problems, I have now filed a small claim against Sony Co and have a 'discovery meeting' with them on Monday. My problems began about 3 mnths after purchasing the computer (in 2002), USB ports stopped working, DVD started doing crazy things, the computer would hibernate at odd times, etc etc until finally the screen stopped working all together. What I am hoping to find out from this post is an explanation by someone.... perhaps Joe?????? about the exact problems that Sony has with these Lap tops (ie fans not working or whatever the case) so that I may be able to walk in on Monday and explain to the judge that these are perhaps the problems and that Sony is well aware of them... (thanks to printing off all 54 pages from this site). Sooooo could someone please help me out by explaining to me in Laymans terms what the H*ll happened?????????? and perhaps I can be an inspiration to all you who have suffered under the hands of Sony!!!! thank you

Jerome Pastor Jul 02, 2005, 03:04pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
I have a sony vaio laptop.. not sure what model it is because the sticker has been removed.

It has a pentium 3 processor and 512mb of ram

im having a problem when i turn it on sometiems it has a black screen and doesnt boot up at all.. i have to shut it off adn turn it on multiple tmies to get it to work. the weird thing is, is that sometiems i will never have problems like it'll turn on perfectly 20 times in a row.

i think the problem could be is that when go to the desktop, right click, properties, settings, at the bottom it says : "Display: (multiple monitors) on Intel(r) 82815 Graphics Controller"

why does it say multiple monitors?? whenever i get a black screen could it be that the computer is trying to boot up onto another monitor that isn't there??

i went to advanced, monitor and there are 2 options: generic television, and flat panel monitor. i tried disabling generic television.. yet im still having the problem. i tried disabling flat panel monitor instead and still the same problem. help please!

Jerome Pastor Jul 02, 2005, 04:13pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
the laptop i had was newly reformatted too.. i was hoping that it would solve the black screen problem but i was wrong..

now when i try to run virusscan jsut in case there is a virus of some sort.. a blue screen pops up and says "beginning dump of physical memory"

Graham Bryant Jul 02, 2005, 04:17pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 02, 2005, 04:20pm EDT

Just an update.

Joe fixed my Sony GRX 560 computer 3 months ago (bad memory connections) and it is still running tickety boo without any problems. I am also running a total of 1 Mb memory (2 x 512 Kingston) and there has not been a problem.

Jerome Pastor Jul 02, 2005, 05:10pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
how do i find out if it is a memory stick problem?? and how much do memory sticks cost?

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.