Please register or login. There are 0 registered and 704 anonymous users currently online. Current bandwidth usage: 326.30 kbit/s October 22 - 12:31am EDT 
Hardware Analysis

Forums Product Prices
  Contents 

Latest Topics 

More >>

You Are Here: 

/ Forums / Portable Hardware /

Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? 

Author 
 Date Written 
 Tools 
Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>
Joe K Jul 03, 2005, 08:15am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Private Message - Add to Buddy List  
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot?
Jerome,

What is the model number on the bottom of the laptop?

Joe Kabalan
http://www.AQSTech.com
Laptop / Notebook BIOS Repair
Motherboard Defect Solutions
Want to enjoy less advertisements and more features? Click here to become a Hardware Analysis registered user.
James Meko Jul 03, 2005, 08:48am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Well, after fighting that battle with the FX-370 I finally gave up and just dismantled the thing completely.
I started selling the parts and made over 300 dollars.

Jerome Pastor Jul 03, 2005, 04:32pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Joe Kablan,

the laptop i have doesn't have a sticker at the bottom .. it was rippped off by one of my pesky little nephews. so now i don't even know what model my computer is.

caz rogers Jul 04, 2005, 04:56am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 04, 2005, 05:17am EDT

Hi. my vaio GRT240G also has OS Not Found problem.
but I don't think this is a memory slot problem like other vaio models listed on Joe's site.
In BIOS, it says "NONE" on IDE Adapter section, meaning that it doesn't detect a hard drive.
I also reset the settings to default in BIOS and saved and exited as the manual tells to do when you see "OS Not Found," but it still won't solve the problem no matter how many times I reset the setting,
Please help me solve this if you know what's wrong.

David Yuill-Kirkwood Jul 04, 2005, 09:31pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi,,
I have a Sony Vaio PGC-FRV37 laptop, and it wont boot,
When I press the power button the lights flash for the Num, Caps, and Scroll lock the HDD makes the its powering up sounds and then nothing. The power lights are illuminated. On the odd attempt to boot it the screen comes on and holds at the screen that displays “VAIO” in the centre and the Intel logo in the bottom right corner, I cant access the BIOS. The HDD is ok I put it in to my external HDD caddy and connected it to one of my other comes and ant was perfectly intact.
I have tried removing the slot 2 RAM I have tried both 256mb in the different slots, I tried swapping them round
I also tried all this with batter only, battery with AC, and AC only, removing the battery, and still nothing
I have tried the reset button.
Does any one know what the problem is or have experienced it at all, any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank

David ,,

Jerome Pastor Jul 05, 2005, 04:25pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
where is the ram on the laptop?

Shirley Gregs Jul 06, 2005, 08:53am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Re: Sony Vaio laptop wont boot? LAWSUIT!
JOIN THE SONY LAWSUIT!

Consumer Fraud Cases

Hapner v. Sony Corporation-filed in 2005, Feldman is co-counsel with three other firms against Sony Corp. The suit seeks certification of a national class of purchasers of Sony Vaio GRX series laptop computers. The suit alleges that Sony violated various consumer protection laws when it manufactured and marketed its Sony Vaio series laptop computers. As alleged, these laptops all had a defective memory slot which causes the computer to malfunction. The suit is pending in Superior Court of California, San Diego County. If you purchased a Sony Vaio GRX series laptop computer and would like more information, please contact our firm. Click here for complaint in pdf format.

http://leflaw.com/index.php?module=pagemaster&PAGE_user_op...AGE_id=276

http://virtuallawnetwork.com/sony.pdf

Will update on other suits as I find them.

Shirley Gregs Jul 06, 2005, 09:14am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Also, why doesn't Sony recall the GRX series? They did with other models:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/recalls_03/sony_vaio.html

Hanka Z Jul 06, 2005, 09:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
What about us overseas? GRX316SP series?

Thanks for info...

Imtiaz Ahmed Jul 07, 2005, 04:50am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Sony Vaio PCG-GRX550 laptop wont boot?
I dont know i got the same problem, bcz i have tried all the solutions but it dont show any thing.

I got Sony Vaio PCG-GRX550. I used it a lot but suddenly it gone dead. Than i gave it to my friend he swaped its memory chips it came back but started hanging up. I was searching net for Labtop repairs & i found this website.

I have tryed all solutions but its still not working. When i turn it ON it fan runs for 1-2 sec than turns OFF but its power LED is steady & 1st battery LED is blinking.

If any body can help me for that or can tell me where to fix it. that will be great & thankful.

Hanka Z Jul 07, 2005, 05:33am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
>> Form at leflaw webpages for unhappy Vaio Customers
Don't forgot to fill in the form for leflaw at http://leflaw.com/sony/

Have somebody here the model GRX316SP? They told me at Czech Sony that it is US model... I am not sure...

Brian O'Halloran Jul 09, 2005, 05:36pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi there.

My wife bought a second hand Sony Vaio PCG-GRZ 630 last year and we've had nothing but trouble with it. Recently, the laptop would flick between AC and battery when the AC adaptor was plugged it, until finally it would no longer charge from AC. Thinking it was a problem with the adaptor we bought a new one - no luck. We brought it to a local repair shop who told us we'd have to replace the motherboard - given the problems and solutions that people have found here, I'm hoping that's not the case as I don't want to fork out another $600+! Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as we're at our wits end!

Thanks.

Brian

Julius Suarez Jul 09, 2005, 06:43pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hello in the house!!!
I think im going to dismantle my sony vaio PCG-FXA47, it did not boot up anymore when i simply updated the BIOS in the web.I did not not touch anything in the hardware hoping i can repair it through series of consultation in the net. If you are interested with the parts contact me at my email yonngs07@yahoo.com, its absolutely bargain price, i bought a new one already. Just give me my money back in the shipment and charge half the price of the item...

Godbless...

Julius

David Kessler Jul 10, 2005, 11:51am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hi all,
Joe fixed my computer (PCG-GRX560) a couple of months ago and it's been running fine.

It has started in the last week or so to exhibit a behavior that isn't a problem -- yet. After the computer has been idle and the screen off (either hibernating or suspended) and I turn the machine back on, the screen has a pink color cast for a few seconds before the colors fill in completely.

Any idea what the problem could be? Is this something I need to worry about?

Thanks for the information,
David

Hanka Z Jul 10, 2005, 12:01pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Hm, be ready for new display:( It started as well at my display and later on was the lamp totaly not lightning... I orded new lamp but the design of this display is not best for changing lamps... It's "tidly-fidly" job and I wasn't happy - the screen stayed blue after replacement with one of dark strip from the button to top of display. Now I am ready before buying ANOTHER part for this notebook - new display....

Joe K Jul 10, 2005, 07:33pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
David,

Hanka's right, it's the backlight starting to fail inside the screen. Many folks say it's an easy job, but as Hanka found out, not everyone is up for the delicacy of screen repair.

Your screen may last a while, I'd let it run until the backlight start flashing off, then it's time to either replace the backlight or send it in to be replaced.

We charge $89 + shipping for the repair.

Joe Kabalan
Joe K Jul 10, 2005, 07:38pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse

Edited: Jul 10, 2005, 07:42pm EDT

Julius,

We can sell you a pre-programmed BIOS chip for that laptop. There is no need to sell it off if the only problem is a corrupt BIOS.

We sell them all the time to folks with bad BIOS flashes with the FXA series.

The BIOS chip is located on the bottom of the laptop under a small door that also houses the modem. You can use some kind of pointed pick to pull the chip out of the socket.

We sell the BIOS chips for $29.00 + shipping. Email me if you're interested.

Once again, if your only problem started after the BIOS flash, then it's a terrible waste to part that laptop out if it only needs a BIOS chip.

Julius,

I just re-read your posts. If the laptop start to not boot out of nowhere, then I would suggest you change the CPU first. If you attempted to update the BIOS and the syste, did not start after that, then you may simply need a new BIOS chip.

Joe Kabalan
Johnny Brookheart Jul 11, 2005, 03:38am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Having the "won't boot, no video, fan runs for two seconds and stops, CD drives runs constantly" problem on a GRZ530.

Swapped memory with no luck. What are my options?

Thanks,
Johnny

Chris Juniker Jul 11, 2005, 07:27pm EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
After experincing the #2 ram slot problem with my recent ebay
purchased GRX-500P.

I managed to figured out that it was a ram problem, and make a work
around solution for compressing the ram slot before ever reading the forum,
and just skimmed it, and found others who had found a similar
solution.

This solution has worked for a while, but it will randomly freeze, and
do memory dumps in windows, which is no good at all, but this is a
work computer for me as well, and the only one I have, so I needed to
use it in whatever manner possible.

The major problem however started this morning. It froze at random,
as it often does. but would not turn off by compressing the power
button for a few seconds. I realized this, and unplugged the AC, and
removed the battery. i replaced the AC adapter, and turned it on, but
nothiing happened at all, besides the LED lights coming on, and as
before it would not turn off, i had to remove the AC adaptor.

I wasn't sure if it was related at all to ram, so I removed the AC
adapter, and took out both pieces of ram, then I replaced the AC
adapter, and turned it on...same result.

If anyone has any info on this at all, please let me know on here, or my e-mail is Niexist@Gmail.com

Hanka Z Jul 12, 2005, 05:09am EDT Reply - Quote - Report Abuse
Thank you Joe. You are giving me chance, that with trying to do replacement once more it should be successful think...;) I have another trouble, it was a bit noisy at speaker and I found out that the service mans must be not very caring with one flat cable which was broken. You know - this one which is going from bottom part to part with mains switch. It was noisy as "calasnikov" :o and help some movement. But I think new cable will be neccessarly to put in. Can it be reason for the blue screen? Before replacement light it was working on external monitor, but not in Bios mode... Have you some experience with it? It was't working in save mode as well. Simply didn't run on this when I select the direction...

Thank you for your time, Hana

Write a Reply >>

Continue Reading on Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 100, 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, Next >>

Topic Tools 

RSS UpdatesRSS Updates

Related Articles 

Newsletter 

A weekly newsletter featuring an editorial and a roundup of the latest articles, news and other interesting topics.

Please enter your email address below and click Subscribe.